AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-21, 07:49   Link #3261
raitouazura
Fallen God

still playing shin koihime musou.

is there true ending for this game??

Next one will not miss
raitouazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 09:22   Link #3262
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
Your first question includes some points that are quite anecdotal, and in addition, irrelevant to the enjoyment of eroge. It would be difficult to prove "better" in terms of playing visual novels, as there is no difficulty that can be rightfully invoked in playing, since the medium used is similar to the portrayal of a book. Those games which have added artificial difficulty in the form of additonal gameplay are a dissimilar, but not quite different sort of boat, to which is attached the distinction of belonging to a different sub-genre. (adv, srpg, etc.)The elements which we in the niche are concerned with: plot, character, setting, themes, etc. - elements which other avid book-readers are concerned with - are consistently open for perusal without rendering themselves to any sort of "difficulty". If there is a difficulty that would be perceived in visual novel reading, it's perhaps in finding the time to slog through it all.

Admittedly, it can be quite difficult for reaching 100% completion on games that rely on the invisible flag system.

I would like to see a link or survey detailing differences between people in terms of playing rate with added factors of sex, gender, class, religion or ethnicity, but in my opinion it's again an unnecessary thing to pursue as people who appreciate eroge are united in their appreciation of the little bit of things of Japanese culture that reveal themselves to and are appreciated by the readers in the form of the games. Whether or not blitzing through and saving at every opportunity of a choice, or skipping through to desired (and obvious) scenes of "preferred" heroines, each individual's enjoyment is different, whether boy or girl, human or mutated shut-in. And in all possible cases, it would be difficult to validate said preferences and gaming ability over the internet, unless you could hold a convention for visual novel readers and take stock of the population differences.

And seriously, there's nothing wrong with consulting a walkthrough. For users of the CTRL-dozers like me though, nothing beats spoiling yourself through the useless scenes in order to get to the meat, so even without a walkthrough, one gets to the (preferred) end anyway.

The second question even points forward from my statement: inevitably there will be all-stars from every player's opinions, but there will always be that private favorite VA for each person.

And with that: Shizuka Ito.
Indeed. Maybe the "girls can finish a specific route faster" story is pretty much anecdotal. Sure, consulting a walkthrough isn't really that bad (I do that myself whenever I get stuck), but completing a preferred route without a guide is just plain AWESOME.

I haven't had played much eroge (only played Come See Me Tonight 2 and planning to play Kira Kira if I get the chance) so I could say my preferred routes are always the easiest for me.

I usually prefer the "shy, silent girl" route. Bonus points if said girl actually has a darker side to her. Despite this, though, the true endings always interests me, even if it's the tsundere route like 75% of the time.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 09:26   Link #3263
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

VN type eroge are hardly something you need skill for, so I don't see how anyone can be good or bad at it.

At best, you need some discipline to really read through all the text and not just click ahead to reach the juicy CG parts faster.

But if you don't read the text, then you are playing the wrong type of game anyway.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 11:54   Link #3264
judasmartel
*Author

Haha, I guessed so. You HAVE to read the dialogue texts when playing eroges. Failure to do so is actually playing them the wrong way. You read too fast, you may not catch the most crucial clue to complete your chosen route.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 17:03   Link #3265
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just finished Haruka's route in DamaMuko, and it was a quite satisfying experience overall indeed. It did feel like the story could have used a longer "epilogue" and showcasing the two in a relationship, as opposed to the "contest" part hogging pretty much all of the game-time, but heh ... at least the overall excellent chemistry between Haruka and Naoki makes up for it, somewhat.

Indeed, if there is one thing that impressed me about this route, is how well Haruka clicks with Naoki, as opposed to pretty much everyone else in the story. Besides like feeling the sole voice of reason ( .... for the most part ) among the female part of the cast for much of the time, she easily felt like the most natural match for Naoki. It's been a while since I have seen such a well-flowing chemistry and natural interactions between a male/female lead; a very welcome surprise that I wasn't really expecting to find in this title.

While I'm slightly disappointed they made Naoki yet another density incarnate on romance side of things, especially after his good first impression of having somewhat of a backbone, the good thing is that his relationship with Haruka (both as friends and as potential lovers) didn't really suffer because of him - she just knows and understands him that well, and can spell his thoughts out for him, even when Naoki himself is stumped for words. The joys of not really having any tedious misunderstandings because the girl both understands what makes Naoki tick, and knows better than to take offense at some of his dense-er moments. A very pleasing relationship to follow indeed.

Saying that she understands him better than the rest of the female cast combined wouldn't be an overstatement, and what really earned my respect for her was that she was the only one who ever showed real concern for Naoki's feelings and well being. While everyone else seemed too absorbed in making Naoki do what they want (Like his choice between the two "clubs"), only Haruka displayed concern over the difficulty of said choice, and tried to encourage him to follow his own feelings on the matter, not outside pressure (Even if she would have benefited from a specific choice of his). Lover or not, she was a true friend of Naoki's.

On the other hand, I wonder if going for Haruka's route first wasn't a mistake - I dread whether the following ones will be able to live up to this satisfying experience, because it feels like I have already witnessed the most natural and most satisfying outcome. Considering all the other characters range from "ok" to "aargh, get her away from my screen" (Rin / Reona ...ick), I have a feeling I might have shot myself in the foot here, not saving the best for the last. Ah well ... one way to find out I guess.

Probably going for Yoriko's route next, to experience things from the astronomy club's side.
Old 2012-02-21, 19:39   Link #3266
gbatemper

Just finished both Sengoku Rance, Mashiro Iro Symphony, Majikoi S, and Muv-luv Alternative.
1 week break , had a lot of time. Stayed up nights.

Personally, the most addicting was Sengoku Rance, with its RPG gameplay and funny characters. Gameplay wise, it was the best. It is the best hybrid Visual Novel RPG. Some characters just stand out a lot, Especially Kenshin Chan (Uesugi Kenshin) and Rance (HAHAHAHAHAHA).

The best story was Muv-Luv Alternative. Tops everything on my list. It made me feel very emotional, especially after all that character attachment I've had from the previous games (Muv-Luv Extra, Muv-Luv Unlimited). After playing this game, I can say I've felt genuinely proud, patriotic, and very sympathetic for the protagonist. The ending however, fitting with its non escapist sci fi attitude, made me feel beyond depressed and empty.
However, as the VN's theme is "Things happen in life. Deal with it, and head forward", I managed to cope with it playing some other more "happy" visual novels that did not involve
Spoiler:

Mashiro Iro Symphony was the game I played after, which was very nice to play as medicine to Muv-Luv Alternative. It was very happy and cheery for the most part, with the exceptions of some routes having some drama, albeit not to the point of Muv-luv. The school, harem, cheery feeling makes you laugh, and the characters are well rounded and great. I'd say the characters in this game are the selling point, it's what made it sell.

Majikoi S was a game I was playing really slowly, I bought the game from amiami, it was fairly nice. I personally disliked some routes, like Margit going
Spoiler:
. Kokoro's route was very hearwarming, and I'd say its in the top 3 routes in the game with Momoyo and Yukie. The 5 original heroines routes were pretty good, but a little short. The shortness of the routes are countered by the sheer number of routes though.
gbatemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 22:10   Link #3267
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by raitouazura View Post
still playing shin koihime musou.

is there true ending for this game??
The three routes are true endings.
Old 2012-02-22, 09:58   Link #3268
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Too bad you decided to drop Corona, Skyfall. As shallow as it may be I find myself enjoying the story in a more, let's say, simpler level. SLG parts are fun, the whole nakama theme is cliche yet appealing to my shounen soul, character interactions are fun (Murial's Serious Breaker was just hilarious) and there's some drama / tragedy mixed in to spice things up just a tiny bit.

Currently in Muriel's path in Corona's route and already looking forward to whatever will go wrong this time
Really, lots of patience is a must to play this game.

Got the endings for the side characters. Kaname's rather unexpected considering her personality and I can see why you like her so much. Asuka's was just ok. Kumi's was just... amazing . Akane's was one I really liked along with Anastasia's / Eri's.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:16   Link #3269
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishida View Post
. Kumi's was just... amazing
That's certainly one way to phrase it, it got me laughing a good deal for sure. It was extremely amusing to see Kumi get more than what she bargained for with her little stunt, and all her following complaints (which might even have been legitimate to some degree - and that's the funny part ) being blown off by both Touka and Tokino with the open conclusion that she is probably being a tsundere, thus said reactions are "normal" ... I loved how her complaints fell on completely deaf ears and were met with a "yeah yeah :3" reaction - not being taken seriously at all! A lesson well learned

Of all these "side endings", Kaname's felt like the most "normal romance" one I'd say - the rest were more or less played for laughs (especially Kumi's )

Though as fun as the occasional moments were, I just didn't have it in me to finish it - sorry! When you are literally forcing yourself to sit down and play for 30 minutes, you know something ain't right at that point.

DamaMuko is proving to be a suitably satisfying reprieve meanwhile - and it being somewhat on the short side, serves as a good contrast to Corona's long-winded approach
Old 2012-02-22, 16:27   Link #3270
Soviet

Grisaia no Meikyuu's release draws near. Hype hype hype. Got to prepare for a couple of days of non-stop reading.
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 17:52   Link #3271
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Currently enjoying Little Busters!. Since there has been a seperate thread for a long time, I won't post any "in-depth" stuff here . 3 routes done and the Key-trademark emotional-hammer remained more or less steady up to now even though the comedy is quite marvelous before the heavy hitting parts begin on the respective routes.
A nice change of pace to read a VN in a more familar language

Seems that I need to push myself afterwards through my remaining drama-fests *coughsakurastrasses-stillonlyoneroutedonecough*. Must not get derailed again
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 18:19   Link #3272
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
With games that old, you will have problems to play them on a modern system.
Those would have to be remakes, or you'd possibly need some kind of emulator.

Quick question about Tears to Tiara:
I have a lot of damaging spells, that look different, but their stats are all the same.
Same mp cost, same 'power'. Is there any reason to use one of them over the others?
The game is so freaking easy that there is no way you will have any issues whichever one you use. You could just as well leave everybody on auto and there won't be any issues. And if you think that's a waste of a strategy game, well, the game isn't exactly polished or anything close to good anyway. The story is a drag too. The only saving grace is the character interaction. I still don't understand why it has the reputation it does till this day

I would suggest virtual machines for older operating systems to play really old games btw.
Old 2012-02-22, 18:26   Link #3273
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I noticed that already, started over and upped the difficulty.
It is still easy most of the time (the fact that you can just level up as much as you want on free fields is pretty dumb), but then it sometimes becomes really difficult suddenly.
Old 2012-02-22, 19:46   Link #3274
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I noticed that already, started over and upped the difficulty.
It is still easy most of the time (the fact that you can just level up as much as you want on free fields is pretty dumb), but then it sometimes becomes really difficult suddenly.
The only time I had a remotely tough time, even with the highest difficulty, was with the very first battle and that's because it was the very first time I was toying with the battle system and menus.

For the most part, leave it on auto and only intervene if people start taking really long detours (thanks to lolpathing) or are about to die. That's more than enough ._.
Old 2012-02-22, 19:53   Link #3275
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

As I said, the stupid concept of unlimited leveling without any balance adjustments of storyline enemies makes it a joke to "beat" the game.
You have to hold back on leveling and just be a scrub. Then the enemies you encounter are at least sometimes higher level than you are.

For example that first ogre with all the spell spam easily wiped the floor with my team on auto fight.
Made for an interesting manual fight. Of course I could have gone into this battle with something like lvl 100 from killing off 1 million crabs, but I chose not to.
Old 2012-02-23, 17:05   Link #3276
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just finished Yoriko's route in DamaMuko and all I can say is urgh ... if Haruka's route left me with a largely positive impression, then this one made me want to head-desk. Hard. And keep doing so until either the desk gives in, or my head. And I have a feeling my head would have won, if it could survive this contrived nonsense. I literally have nothing good to say about Yoriko's route. Not a single thing.

Spoiler for rant:

So ... yeah, this route was through and through stupid. And I mean pants-on-head levels of stupid. I am having serious second thoughts whether I want to try any of the remaining routes ... if this is the level of writing I can expect, and if Naoki is indeed such a density incarnate, only made tolerable in Haruka's route because of how well she understands him and thus preventing his lack of comprehension getting in the way, I'm not sure I want to. The only plus side is that these routes appear to be quite short indeed.

Other than that, my feelings on Yoriko's route can be promptly summed up in one word(?) : aAaaAARrrGgHhHhh!
Old 2012-02-23, 18:16   Link #3277
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
wow, Skyfall. I applaud you for being able to go through all that without giving up mid-way.
Old 2012-02-23, 21:05   Link #3278
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

I really hate to ask this but do some eroge have problems with Windows 7? Recently I have installed Crescendo in my laptop which had Windows 7 and there's an error. Its music cannot be played and if I try to, it crashed the game itself. I dunno if the files were corrupted(I used virtual CD files to install and play it, similar to AlcoholSoft for example). Crescendo is not alone. Do You Like Horny Bunnies and Hitomi My Stepsister also had same problem as well.

The only eroge that have no problem with Windows 7(at least in my own laptop) is Yume Miru Kusuri, which had no errors regarding its music file. However this can be explained that unlike all eroge I mentioned above, YMK was installed from a real DVD(I got from a friend and he copied it illegally. Just don't ask me how) rather than virtual CD files.

This could be my own problem but I just don't know how to tackle it.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 22:53   Link #3279
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, we can't offer technical support for eroge you obtained illegally, as this is in violation of our Forum Rules.

In general terms, though, I would guess that it's possible some older software may need to run in XP Mode in order to function correctly on Windows 7, which basically entails a Windows XP virtual machine. More information about XP Mode can be found here. There is also a compatibility mode option that can be enabled on a program-by-program basis that may (or may not) help.
Old 2012-02-24, 05:02   Link #3280
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishida View Post
wow, Skyfall. I applaud you for being able to go through all that without giving up mid-way.
Believe me, the urge to stop midway was certainly strong on several occasions. What kept me going was the knowledge that routes in DamaMuko are quite short (so knowing that the suffering won't last for too long ), and faint hope that the ending might yet prove satisfying, and thus offering at least some enjoyment for the trouble in the end. Well, didn't quite turn out like that - the ending was just as silly (in a way that makes you want to facepalm, not laugh) as the rest of her route.

Makes me wonder how they managed to make a decent, even if not special, route for Haruka, then turn around and come up with this ... thing ... for Yoriko's route

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel