AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-07-23, 10:34   Link #1
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Shopping advice anyone ?

If any of you found an external cd-rw drive packaged with nero for 60 $ would you buy it ? I currently have no way of getting my anime off of my computer .

What exactly is nero ?

thanks to anyone who replies to this .
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 10:50   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenojjin
What exactly is nero ?
Nero was a Latin emperor who burned Rome. The software is a pun on that: Nero Burning ROM (Rom is the German word for Rome, being spelt the same way as Rom in CD-Rom)

So to sum it up Nero is quite a decent piece of burning software that can burn nearly everything.

Nonetheless, I'd go for a DVD burner instead; I got mine for ~70€ (about 80$ but I bought mine from a real life shop, so you can most likely get it cheaper from online shops) with these specs:
Lite-On LDW-851S (8xDVD+R, 4xDVD+RW, 4xDVD-R, 2xDVD-RW, 40x CD-R)
Lite-On drives are really great, good quality and overclockable (for the advanced).

The only drawback was that there was no burning application bundled in the package but PowerDVD XP and another useless software which I didn't bother to install + 1 DVD-R and 1 DVD+R

Conclusion: Buy for the future! CD burners are out, and should be replace by DVD burners. So if you can install an internal drive and want to pay 20$ more, the Lite-On (or any other DVD-Burner) would be the way to go.

EDIT: Ask your vendor if he is willing to sell you an OEM version of Nero cheap if you buy both the drive and the software from him. My friend did it and paid about 5€ for his copy of Nero.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 11:12   Link #3
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Thing is : I only have 60 $
Old 2004-07-23, 15:19   Link #4
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

You can pick up Nero OEM cheap on ebay (search for "Nero 6").
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 15:21   Link #5
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrem
You can pick up Nero OEM cheap on ebay (search for "Nero 6").
Maybe I'm confusing the meaning of OEM, but isn't OEM only distributed with the appropiate hardware? If so, how would they check that in eBay?
Old 2004-07-23, 15:34   Link #6
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

I don't know, maybe they send you some screws like some legit on-line retailers do. Even with newegg you only have to buy a $5.25 cable, and then they give you a $5 discount. They don't have Nero OEM though.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 16:28   Link #7
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_

Nonetheless, I'd go for a DVD burner instead; I got mine for ~70€ (about 80$ but I bought mine from a real life shop, so you can most likely get it cheaper from online shops) with these specs:
Lite-On LDW-851S (8xDVD+R, 4xDVD+RW, 4xDVD-R, 2xDVD-RW, 40x CD-R)
Lite-On drives are really great, good quality and overclockable (for the advanced).
DVD's are alot more expensive to buy then CD's, DVD-RW's are extremely expensive. The fact is, DVD's are still way more expensive than CD's, so I would strongly suggest, that you just buy a cd burner, and go for the DVD next time. Or, if you want to pay more, you can get a DVD-RW/CDRW combo.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-23, 16:32   Link #8
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
DVD's are alot more expensive to buy then CD's, DVD-RW's are extremely expensive. The fact is, DVD's are still way more expensive than CD's, so I would strongly suggest, that you just buy a cd burner, and go for the DVD next time. Or, if you want to pay more, you can get a DVD-RW/CDRW combo.
Last time I checked, DVDs can hold 4.3GB of data which is 6 times the size of a CD-R. Where I am, you can buy 2-3 CD-Rs for the prize of 1 DVD.
That makes 4.3 GB vs 1.4-2.1 GB. So...?

Not to mention that DVD prices will fall in the near future.

As far as I know every DVD burner is able to burn CD-Rs and CD-RWs.
Old 2004-07-23, 18:31   Link #9
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Last time I checked, DVDs can hold 4.3GB of data which is 6 times the size of a CD-R. Where I am, you can buy 2-3 CD-Rs for the prize of 1 DVD.
That makes 4.3 GB vs 1.4-2.1 GB. So...?

Not to mention that DVD prices will fall in the near future.

As far as I know every DVD burner is able to burn CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

where I live, a good price for a DVD burner would be $150 dollars, and DVD's ar minimum $2 a piece
Old 2004-07-23, 18:34   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
where I live, a good price for a DVD burner would be $150 dollars, and DVD's ar minimum $2 a piece
That's why we have Online Shops so it does not matter where you live. And these are $Canadian, right? What would that make in $US?
Old 2004-07-23, 23:27   Link #11
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
DVDs are usually about 75 cents over here.

oh, did I mention that CDs suck for backing up anime? Especially when you've got over a hundred episodes to burn.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 00:09   Link #12
Pup

Nero was also incestual too.. just for everyones info..
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 08:06   Link #13
Ending

Don't buy CD-RW drive unless you a need replament for your floppy-drive.

I made the mistake and thought the same as you: "only 50€ instead of 100€, should be good enough." Now I have horrible pile of CD's on my desk and I really need to buy that DVD-RW drive.

Grrr... >.<
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 11:55   Link #14
Shadowlord
~DESU

there is always another option, you can do what I did and buy a DVD ram drive, then you can ude doiuble sided dvd ram disks to hold 10.4 GB of data. But, this option is extremely expensive, the 2 sided dvd's are $20 each.

Note: before the comments about, you are stupid to do this come in, the dvd's are used for specific purposes, and therefore, worth it.
Old 2004-07-24, 12:09   Link #15
suires
たこ焼き名人

Quote:
That's why we have Online Shops so it does not matter where you live. And these are $Canadian, right? What would that make in $US?
I can actually get a 8X duel speed DVD burner for less than CAD$90 and about 60 cents per DVD-R in retail store not online.

I got my DVD-RW(4X) for only CAD$80 6 months ago. The guy who sold me the drive seems not knowing that drive is a DVD burner not CD burner.

EDIT: I just checked the store website again. WOWOW.... They are having a special sale today:

** BenQ D822A 8X DVD+-RW/R Drive w/software OEM (upgradeable to double layer) $68.00
** BenQ D822A 8X DVD+/-RW/R Drive w/software Retail Box (upgradeable to double layer) $79.88
** BenQ 52x CD-RW 52x/32x/52x Retail Box $33.00

I don't know if BenQ is a good brand name or not...

Last edited by suires; 2004-07-24 at 12:22.
suires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 13:03   Link #16
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by suires
I can actually get a 8X duel speed DVD burner for less than CAD$90 and about 60 cents per DVD-R in retail store not online.

I got my DVD-RW(4X) for only CAD$80 6 months ago. The guy who sold me the drive seems not knowing that drive is a DVD burner not CD burner.

EDIT: I just checked the store website again. WOWOW.... They are having a special sale today:

** BenQ D822A 8X DVD+-RW/R Drive w/software OEM (upgradeable to double layer) $68.00
** BenQ D822A 8X DVD+/-RW/R Drive w/software Retail Box (upgradeable to double layer) $79.88
** BenQ 52x CD-RW 52x/32x/52x Retail Box $33.00

I don't know if BenQ is a good brand name or not...
lmao, upon further inspection og prices, i find this.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...%20Electronics

now thats a great deal.
Old 2004-07-24, 14:27   Link #17
panianna

Happy people, all of you. My dear goverment in infinite wisdom decided to rise the prices on CDs, DVDs, CD/DVD burners, hard drives, VCR etc. 100%, yay! You see, they are fighting piracy this way. So now it is 2-4 euro for a blank CD and 3-6 for DVD. I guess it is the record of expensiveness. And you can't find a decent DVD burner for less then 200 euro. And it is forbidden to import these things from other countries. Sigh... Damn that goverment and their taxes. But what would you expect from descendants of former Nazi?
panianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 16:18   Link #18
Ending

@ panianna

It's the same here, every media having a extra tax because of that. Now, instead of making local RIAA happy, foreign (online!) companies have begun to advertise their prices, in some cases being 50% cheaper than our local. Now we lose BOTH the profits and taxes because of that.

So go buy from the neighbour. 20 bucks from a single DVD, my arse.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 17:44   Link #19
cabbit
Fish Tin Turtle Lead Soup

Send a message via AIM to cabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by panianna
Happy people, all of you. My dear goverment in infinite wisdom decided to rise the prices on CDs, DVDs, CD/DVD burners, hard drives, VCR etc. 100%, yay! You see, they are fighting piracy this way. So now it is 2-4 euro for a blank CD and 3-6 for DVD. I guess it is the record of expensiveness. And you can't find a decent DVD burner for less then 200 euro. And it is forbidden to import these things from other countries. Sigh... Damn that goverment and their taxes. But what would you expect from descendants of former Nazi?
You need to maybe shop at a small online retailer and have them ship it to you and mark the box contents as a dish or block of wood or soemthing. Anything to let them get into the country and keep them from ripping you a new one with taxes.
cabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-24, 23:50   Link #20
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Im gonna have to buy an external cd-rw . You see , I have a dvd-rw elsewhere but not on the computer I have some anime I have to get off of . The comp with the anime has only 300mhz and cannot write on dvd-r's as it is just not powerfull enough .

I was just wondering if 60 $ is a good deal for what is being offered ( cd-rw + nero )