#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

Hope we get a second season!
PNGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 10:49   Link #1482
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
Wow this show defenetly deserves more. It blows Aria out of water in pretty much every aspect. Plus Shaft always packs some nice goodies in their BD releases. maybe they are more expensive than others?
I love HnA series more than Denpa Onna novelwise...but honestly speaking, Denpa Onna's anime is superior to HnA's, executionwise and artwise...sad they can't air 13...
Old 2011-07-01, 10:56   Link #1483
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I love HnA series more than Denpa Onna novelwise...but honestly speaking, Denpa Onna's anime is superior to HnA's, executionwise and artwise...sad they can't air 13...
That's very true; but Denpa Onna can't satisfy my need for guns and violence so I guess they're tied there
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 10:58   Link #1484
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

Quote:
Denpa Onna's anime is superior to HnA's, executionwise and artwise
Even if you compare something to that hilarious joke...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 10:59   Link #1485
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You've heard me was poetic about why Maekawa-san is so wonderful till I'm sure you're all sick of it. But I really think the last two eps - especially 11 - illustrate why she's so necessary in this show.

To me, Denpa is totally one-dimensional. It does that dimension - relentless, over-the-top moe and a total lack of seriousness - very well. But as much as I love, say, chocolate... If I walk into a restaurant and order the tasting menu and they serve me chocolate for appetizer...chocolate for soup...chocolate for main course...and for cheese course... By the time I get to dessert (death by chocolate) I'll be sick of it.

Maekawa-san is a balanced meal. She is cute, and I'll fight anyone to the death who denies it (and make them watch the first half of 11). So there's your sweet tooth. But she's also a little salty - that biting sense of humor. She's spicy - let's face it, she's sultry and downright sexy.

In other words Maekawa is something no one else in this cast is, really. She's subtle - unlike the rest of them she doesn't always say exactly what she means. She has layers, dimensions. She changes the atmosphere every time she's on-screen, and the longer the show went on hammering it's one dimension - in fact, largely abandoning the other weighty element, the Makoto-Erio relationship and Erio's disorder - the more Maekawa was missed every time she wasn't around.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 12:48   Link #1486
ion475
にこにこにー

Well, here comes the LONG wait for ep. 13, which would just be the rest of Vol. 3.

I guess they'll wait for Season 2 announcement or something like that once ep. 13 comes out...(It's SHAFT, which means Season 2 is almost a guarantee )

Story-wise...sometimes I seriously don't know what people expect. Boring? Not at all...

Quote:
We all know Shaft >>>>>>> JC Staff...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 14:07   Link #1487
HandofFate

last two episodes was full of youth lol.

Makoto cheering for Ryouko was embarrassing to watch.
Still not a fan of this ESPer girl. She's too out there for me.

Also Maekawa is pushing strong.

Also, is Makoto just dense or is he ignoring things on purpose. The girls are giving hints right in front of him, and other side characters are throwing the girl/boyfriend word around right in front of him, and he never responds to it.
Old 2011-07-01, 14:22   Link #1488
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

From the official site, it seems that ep13 will not appear until December, when it comes out on the last BD/DVD.

I myself was a bit disappointed in eps 11-12, since they did not advance things much -- except that we had an even clearer statement/implication from Makoto that he isn't interested in Erio as a girl friend, but is interested in both Ryuushi and Maekawa. For me, Yashiro was more promise than performance, and didn't really work as a character. It doesn't help that I never got into Iguchi Yuka's performance of her voice.

I agree with Guardian_Enzo about how great Maekawa was -- but I think all three main girls were outstanding characters and performances, each bringing something special. I disagree that the show lacks seriousness. I keep repeating this only because I believe it: emotion, character, and relationships are more serious than mere plot. The subtleties of Maekawa's relationships were wonderful. Erio's transformation and her sweet devotion to Itoko were wonderful. Ryuushi's energy and naturalness were wonderful. And they were all presented in sharp, subtle ways that soar above most anime. The other character in this show was the animation, which maintained the artistry and interest of most Shaft shows. Nishida Asako and Buriki really accomplished something with the character designs.

In any case, I thought this was an excellent show, with great characters, script and drawing. But I would have preferred it if we hadn't slipped back into the boring territory of Arakawa for the last episode.

I thought Maekawa's seiyuu, Fuchigami Mai, did a terrific job, and I look forward to hearing her in more shows. None slated yet, however. Irino Miyu was good as usual. Oogame Asuka (Erio) did what she had to do very well. And Katou Emiri (Ryuuko) deserves a seiyuu award, for this and for Kyuube in MadoMagi. Finally, here are pics of Oogame Asuka and Fuchigami Mai from a live event a couple of weeks ago, posted in Fuchigami-san's blog:
Spoiler for images:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 15:42   Link #1489
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Maekawa was hot! Lol that Yashiro tried to steal apples. Didn't expect her t push Makoto to cheer on Ryuushi, so awkward but nice that he went through with it.

Lol Maekawa's dad folded under pressure. Even better Meme was the coach and finally kissed Makoto.
Old 2011-07-01, 16:44   Link #1490
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This anime is very charming, and it goes beyond the moe alone (although that's a lot of it of course, lol).

There's times when I'll watch a piece of entertainment and it'll feel soulless, sterile, lacking heart to me.

Denpa Onna is the opposite of that for me. It just has so much color, pizazz, warmth, wit, and style.

And what's impressive is that it manages to be "hot" without being fanservicey (at least not fanservicey in an overly loud way).

Take for example that scene between Makoto and Maekawa in her bedroom playing Mario Kart Clone.

Although not fanservicey, the sexual tension in that scene was thick enough to require a chainsaw to cut through.

Another scene almost on that level was Erio on Makoto's bed, pleading with him to go stargazing with her.

Man, I don't know how Makoto can take all this sexual tension without even so much as romantically hitting on either of these girls that so clearly adore him.

That aside, though, I like how Makoto came off in these two episodes. I like how we saw his philosophy change a bit, become a bit more open to new and different ideas, and a bit more open to "not giving up". There's actually decent depth here beneath the sugary moe coating.

With these last three episodes, as well as Episode 3, Denpa Onna has managed to be more than just a guilty pleasure for me. There is some steak to go with the sizzle.

I do agree with Guardian Enzo that Maekawa is the main reason why (and she's probably my favorite character in this cast), but I also agree with Kaouru Chojo that each of the three main girls brings something special to the table.

I might have more to say later, but I'll leave it here for now.

9/10 for the last two episodes.
Old 2011-07-01, 18:31   Link #1491
Sol Falling

To jump into the discussion here, Maekawa is fucking delicious. But I still think Erio is the heart of the story. Yes, we can tell that both Maekawa and Ryuushi are romantically interested in Makoto, and that Makoto is 'appreciating' them in return. However, just as there is a reciprocality in the story in that aspect of the narrative, there is a reciprocality with Erio in return. Makoto means much more to Erio than just a love interest or candidate for a relationship. He's the one who brought her back to the real world, and helping her stay grounded there. That's why, the scene with Erio bugging Makoto to go stargazing comes off as unbelievably sweet to me. I love Shaft's moe, undoubtedly, but where my appreciation really lies is their execution of meaningful directing. Emotionally, Erio is definitely my most satisfying part of this series.

Anyway, on these last two episodes. Makoto's sudden character development was good, but I think it pretty much came out of nowhere. I agree with other comments that the main character's personality is the weakest part of the story. Nonetheless, getting over the jump in (kinda inconsequential) sudden character background, thematically these episodes did make for fairly decent viewing. I couldn't help noticing that the animation was pretty terrible in 11 though.

In all, Denpa Onna was the one staple I knew I'd stick with this season, and it fully delivered. Shaft simply jives too well with me so that it's almost like I can no longer even question if I'll like one of its series by the end. As a matter of fact, I actually think it's series with weaker external influences (i.e. source material) like these and a wider range for freedom of expression which feel most 'Shaft-like' to me, and are ultimately the most enjoyable. Much as I enjoy and respect the Shaft 'monsters' in Bakemonogatari and Madoka, and can appreciate the artistry behind the core creators of those series (Nishio and Urobochi; Nishio has even become one of my favourite writers since that time), I nonetheless still think that it is the essence of Shaft itself which I am most attracted to. Denpa Onna might not have been as interesting as Madoka Magica, but in a way it is more emotionally satisfying--and I think that is down to a human aspect of the directing which can only come out if there's room for it to find its own voice in the story. As a show which keeps that Shaft essence I am talking about while simultaneously evolving the art of ero-moe to heights never seen before, I think Denpa Onna truly delivered something new and interesting, while at the same time retaining the core satisfaction factor which is most important to me. It has, without a doubt, earned its spot for me as highlight of the season.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2011-07-01 at 18:43.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 18:49   Link #1492
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I frankly thought that was a pretty bog letdown, even as anime endings go. I know we have 13 coming in SIX MONTHSbut really, they didn't resolve anything at all.

Several things were odd. First of all, the whole twist with Makoto and the soccer team and being a quitter or a coward (or whatever) came pretty much out of left field. Makoto seems plenty adaptable and tough to me. He adapted to a new school, got himself a harem, tackled Erio's disorder head-on when her own mother had avoided it altogether and showed serious sack by riding his bicycle into the sea to knock some sense into her (even if it wasn't real bright). The whole thing felt very artificial.

Furthermore, the baseball game was a pretty trivial thing to use as the conclusion for the series. Not to mention, why the Hell focus so much on a character we barely know - Maekawa's Dad - in the finale? That's what I find so frustrating about Denpa Onna - there's some real meaty stuff here should they choose to explore it, namely Makkie/Erio but also Makkie/Maekawa, and Erio's struggle to cope in normal society. But it's so determined to take itself lightly that it just won't go deeper, even in wrapping up the show.

Yes, we get a DVD bonus ep and probably a second season. But I still would have liked to have seen some effort made to give us an actual ending.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 20:17   Link #1493
Texas84
よろしく

Damn I'm sorry to see this end. Overwhelming cuteness and loved all the characters. Just a lot of fun. And I can ALMOST sing along with both songs. There are a few long words they sing way too fast. But I'm reading that season 2 is all but a done deal.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 20:21   Link #1494
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I frankly thought that was a pretty bog letdown, even as anime endings go. I know we have 13 coming in SIX MONTHSbut really, they didn't resolve anything at all.

Several things were odd. First of all, the whole twist with Makoto and the soccer team and being a quitter or a coward (or whatever) came pretty much out of left field. Makoto seems plenty adaptable and tough to me. He adapted to a new school, got himself a harem, tackled Erio's disorder head-on when her own mother had avoided it altogether and showed serious sack by riding his bicycle into the sea to knock some sense into her (even if it wasn't real bright). The whole thing felt very artificial.

Furthermore, the baseball game was a pretty trivial thing to use as the conclusion for the series. Not to mention, why the Hell focus so much on a character we barely know - Maekawa's Dad - in the finale? That's what I find so frustrating about Denpa Onna - there's some real meaty stuff here should they choose to explore it, namely Makkie/Erio but also Makkie/Maekawa, and Erio's struggle to cope in normal society. But it's so determined to take itself lightly that it just won't go deeper, even in wrapping up the show.

Yes, we get a DVD bonus ep and probably a second season. But I still would have liked to have seen some effort made to give us an actual ending.
Haha. Well, on the whole 'ending' aspect, I guess I'm thinking of it in the context of the novel series. We're at, what--book 3 or 4 out of 8 volumes, and possibly more. Given that, I don't really feel it is even possible to focus on 'plot' or 'resolution' as far as the end of Denpa Onna as an anime. We're totally just in the middle of the story, so as an adaptation, if they intend at all to continue it, the important thing is just to bring out the value of what's going on right now (which would be the baseball game, and then (presumably) the festival).

I agree that Makoto's character development (I wouldn't call it a 'twist', as I think it's just intended to flesh out his character--not be a big surprise or trick people or anything like that) was very poorly done, but not really because it contradicts his earlier behaviour or anything. Makoto has simply always been a pretty dull, undefined, and non-descript personality to me--and this 'revelation' doesn't really do much to add depth to it. But as a backdrop for further interactions with the girls, it works okay. And if you step away from the rest of the series and just look at these two episodes by themselves, then including the conversation with Maekawa's father, they become a decent narrative about the feeling of running away in themselves: the implications Yashiro's character makes as a professed 'esper'--that human power lies in not giving up, that somehow through this magic is created--is a pretty generically compelling theme to add to the story.

I don't really prefer to separate out the depth of the series, as if there is some 'meaty', serious stuff here--and then just pure fluff or nonsense there. The thing is, I think the characters and their relationships inform every part of the interactions that they take part in, so that, even when they're not directly dealing with those things, certainly those issues and relationships still exist. For just a single small example, take the scene where Makoto playfully dehelmets Yashiro at the basketball game. It's played perfectly casually like a greeting. Yet the fact is, the scene just a minute earlier was a couple of girls commentating about the strangeness of the astronaut outfit and disdainfully speculating that it was Erio. There is no further mention of those girls after Makoto exposes Yashiro, but we can feel and understand the undercurrent of what they said in Makoto's actions afterwards. Essentially, in ways like these, I don't think we can separate out the going ons of the show as 'serious or not serious, meaningful or not meaningful'. Every moment of the characters is exposing who they are in themselves--the difficulties, tensions and uncertainties may surface and fade away--but that's life. I really do not feel that any part of the show can be truly said to throw itself away for meaningless absurdity or fanservice--no matter how light or 'dark' (haha) the characters may be, they are all always completely grounded in being believably, empathetically human.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 20:27   Link #1495
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
To jump into the discussion here, Maekawa is fucking delicious.
Would agree although I might change the order of the words in that sentence...
Old 2011-07-01, 20:46   Link #1496
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Spoiler:
Why the heck is Ef so low...?! That's quite effed up...(whoops...that didn't come out right...)

I say Erio...kiss Makoto already...
Old 2011-07-01, 21:35   Link #1497
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I thought this series was well executed compared to other LN adaptations this season, and SHAFT's style really played off the cute-eroticism of the character designs for eyecandy points. Makoto seemed like a flitty bee going from flower to flower though, so no endearment points for him.

It seemed to go from a show about helping someone change to a somewhat more down to earth interactions of a guy trying to find a nice girlfriend bit (while three-timing?), though maybe we can consider Makoto's change in attitude from before and after the baseball game to be an extension of that theme? Finding himself by helping others change or somesuch.

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-07-01 at 21:59. Reason: adding stuff
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 03:59   Link #1498
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-bd/dvds-sales

Truth or just producers wanting more money?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 04:22   Link #1499
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I say Erio...kiss Makoto already...
Too risky... People might die from heart attacks...

But on the other hand, an off-screen kiss would just be frustrating... I remember whole annoyed I was at Bakemonogatari's... >.>

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-07-02 at 04:32.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 04:34   Link #1500
JediNight
キズランダム

I still don't see the Erio ending as very viable atm. Sure he only seems to have like half the Westermarck Effect in regards to Erio, but a lot of people seem to mistake being concerned and acting like a sibling with romance.

Even the Maekawa angle only poured on relevance in the last 2-3 episodes. Before that it was fairly strongly in the "bro tier" camp instead.

Maybe I'll have to try to stumble thru Vol7 and read what the supposed "True End" is.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, ecchi, light novel adaptation, romance, school life, seinen, shaft, shounen, slice of life