AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 13
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 69 46.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 32.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 20 13.42%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 4.70%
6 out of 10 : Average... 1 0.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-29, 14:43   Link #21
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Kirito's comment that "the game is fundamentally fair" really doesn't apply any more; there's nothing "fair" about this boss fight, just pure evil in a game where death is real.
I pretty sure Kirito realized he was wrong about that after the Yui incident anyway.
Old 2012-09-29, 14:48   Link #22
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I pretty sure Kirito realized he was wrong about that after the Yui incident anyway.
Well, and after the last boss fight too. It's really been a progression since the murder arc of one thing after another that progressively prove his beliefs wrong (and that's basically why he came to the conclusion that he had reached the limits of soloing -- when the game's not fair, you can't give yourself a safety margin).
Old 2012-09-29, 14:49   Link #23
ookamigirl

Kirito made an interesting friend.
Guess fishing is not Kirito's thing.
The big game fishing turned into a fight pretty fast!
Asuna she showed that fish who's boss.
Getting called back to fight on the front lines again was good.
It was about time for some serious action!
That skeleton boss was insanely strong!!
Looks like Kirito & Asuna will need to boost their levels if the plan on winning against other, stronger bosses.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 14:55   Link #24
Revan21

That was probably the most emotional episode yet
(Sachi and Yui's cheap melodrama do not matter)

Not because anyone has died (not counting the nameless fodder) but because Asuna was able to talk abouth her character's growth in detail, which she has never done before, so it was hard to tell what she was thinking about their situation.
And for once the topic of their conversation in the meeting room carried some real weight, since they touched upon some series subjects, and their emotions in that scene were very human.

I liked the fishing story too. The reaction-faces were a bit over the top but it was a funny event. The series could have used a lot more like this to throughoutly introduce the world of SAO, instead of keeping the information to a bare minimum.

The Skull Reapers CG didn't look so good, and it's animation was very sloppy. Still, the fight looked promosing until they have cut it off. That was one hell of a cliffhanger
Old 2012-09-29, 14:59   Link #25
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Looks like Kirito & Asuna will need to boost their levels if the plan on winning against other, stronger bosses.
That could be a problem is there's a level limit. If 100 is the max level you can reach, as previously speculated, and they already have it this hard on floor 75, then things are going to get really tough from here on.
Old 2012-09-29, 15:06   Link #26
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That could be a problem is there's a level limit. If 100 is the max level you can reach, as previously speculated, and they already have it this hard on floor 75, then things are going to get really tough from here on.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-29 at 20:41. Reason: You must use spoiler tags when comparing to the novels
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:11   Link #27
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Well after episode 10 I was already kinda expecting something like this. Great job for the episode.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:17   Link #28
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Incidentally, the one-hit-kill boss is way overpowered. It also looks like his defence is as strong as his attack (unlike the last boss), making it even worse. I'm sure they took all the strongest players to this battle too, so it's not like it was scrubs getting wiped out. Plus closing the door and anti-crystal is sadistic. Kirito's comment that "the game is fundamentally fair" really doesn't apply any more; there's nothing "fair" about this boss fight, just pure evil in a game where death is real.
Well, the floor 74 boss did sort of serve as warning the next boss would also have an anti-crystal trap. And it still needs a direct hit to kill someone, glancing blows are still survivable. Otherwise it's strength is partially explained in a novel detail I'm surprised they omitted.

Spoiler for Light novel comparison:

So leaning in the direction of unfair, but not quite there.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:23   Link #29
laksmkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:
Same here. I was hoping for it.
Old 2012-09-29, 15:23   Link #30
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Aww Kirito and Asuna make such a cute couple and their love for each other is definitely shown in this episode.

Damn! That dungeon boss is OP someone needs to beat it with the nerf stick.
Old 2012-09-29, 15:29   Link #31
Awrya
U mad?

Seems like many anime try to compete in 'the most ridiculous facial expressions' contest.
A fish with 4 legs walking on land? This has to be one of the weirder monsters in SAO

Emotional speech before a boss fight, where players are one-hit? Death flag confirmed?

The boss animation was ok, but why suddenly CG?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-30 at 00:31. Reason: Removed spoiler
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:43   Link #32
Entr0py
Banned

Wow lovey dovey scene KiritoxAsuna ftw! Having 1 pally tank and a 2 fury warrior offtanks is really harsh, those two don't have any damage mitigation! Scrubs be scrubs as everyone else in raid group just stands there and get 1 shotted, L2 move outta boss mechanics? couple mages would help here, hell I'd have thought they wouldve allowed hunters since there's no magic involved in that class. Can't wait to see next week's ep, looks like we gonna get to see volume 3+4 hope for new OP after next ep?
Entr0py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:44   Link #33
Entr0py
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Seems like many anime try to compete in 'the most ridiculous facial expressions' contest.
A fish with 4 legs walking on land? This has to be one of the weirder monsters in SAO

Emotional speech before a boss fight, where players are one-hit? Death flag confirmed?

The boss animation was ok, but why suddenly CG?
Angel Beats' fishing episode was better in terms of the "fish" and the "kill"

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-30 at 00:31.
Entr0py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:02   Link #34
Esebian

Amazing episode

well it was pretty clear that the fishing part wouldn't be more than the half, but I didn't expect it to go until the middle of the boss fight. I thought it would end the moment they run into the boss room, but now we have an even more sadistic cliffhanger XD

But I must say the fishing part was imo funny like hell, especially the facial expressions ^^
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:11   Link #35
Bombo
TSF Fans

The Skull Reaper OMG IT'S SO AWESOME ,,,,I bet that boss in Heroic Mode "from world of warcraft : LOL
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:16   Link #36
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I don't care how much you want to bone a girl, nor how high her cooking skill may be. One look at this, and there's no way I'd enjoy my meal:

Though it made me wonder why, even in the real world, so many chefs/restaurants/etc leave the damn head on a fish as they lay it out on the table for you to eat? I don't think I've ever seen a cooked fish head that made my insides melt in a cloyingly "awwww" way.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:19   Link #37
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post
The Skull Reaper OMG IT'S SO AWESOME ,,,,I bet that boss in Heroic Mode "from world of warcraft : LOL
Did someone say BOOOONESTORM? Because I think somebody said BOOOOOOONESTORM!
Old 2012-09-29, 16:20   Link #38
Seihai
スマイリウム

Lots of good stuff. Despite those conversations at the end of the fishing event and the one before the boss fight (Asuna is the boss at giving us the insights we wanna hear), I really loved the boss fight itself. The sadistic stuff was clear to me. Floor 75? That sounds like a nice number so it must be a milestone boss that's extra hard. It's common for grindy RPGs where each 10th level gives you better stats than usual or requires more exp to level up. Not a good example but you get the idea. And it would be no surprise if Kayaba fiddled with the gameplay, too.

My favorite part was of course everything including Skull Reaper. Maybe some people don't like this stuff but the CG added to my goosebumps I got from the epicness (really?) of the fight and overall atmosphere (dat soundtrack). I think the CG enhanced the feeling that this is a game.
Old 2012-09-29, 16:20   Link #39
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

lol. another Sleeping scene

i wonder how many "round" they actually done

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:20   Link #40
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Oh Jeez, it took 13 episodes for the anime to mention that they got moved to hospitals? At least THAT "PLOT HOLE" got resolved. Hahahahaha. XDDD

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote