Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-01, 16:35   Link #1
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That One Special Character.

Sometimes in anime there's a show you don't particularly like, and/or a cast that you find largely underwhelming (or worst), but you keep watching due to how much you like one particular character in the show. A good example of this is how some friends of mine here on AS kept watching Ore no Imouto pretty much just for Kuroneko.

On the flip-side, there can be an anime show that seems at least Ok to you, and/or a cast that seems generally likable/interesting, but you eventually dropped the show due to how much you disliked one particular character in the show. An example of this for me would be Kuroko in the original Railgun anime (though I am finding her more bearable in the current Railgun S series that I'm watching sporadically right now).

So who's that "One Special Character" for you? Either in a show-saving, or a show-ruining, sense.

And in the "show-saving" case, did you ultimately find it worth it to stick around for just this One Special Character?
Old 2013-08-01, 16:50   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kuroko's an interesting case, because she's nowhere near as annoying in Index. If you meet her first in Railgun, I can only imagine you can only feel pain, especially with that voice of hers. It's just that Railgun season 1 flanderized the hell out of her character. Well, that and most of first season was terrible anyways, so I can't blame her too much.

My standard response on similar topics would be the usual MVPs to me like Mai from Kanon and Fate from Nanoha since it usually is about sticking around for a special character. Though these are because they are some of my favorite characters. However, even in those cases where they were the dominant reason to exist, they were often paired with other decent characters to make the show run. Even someone like Kuroneko, in a cast of such terrible people, still had some support from characters like Saori. Though Kuroneko would be very close to this description, sadly I couldn't even finish the series even considering her.

So even if I can't imagine Kanon without Mai, Nanoha without Fate, or Oreimo without Kuroneko, this time I'm going to grant it to someone that should be no surprise that I held in high esteem.

The lone wolf that caused me to watch 26 episodes of a show I'd never have kept for more than 2 by just being a decent, sensible person and having the strength to carry her show even when everyone else, was just being a retard even though most would have been like "Fuck you all to hell"

That person is the one always ready to party, Ohana Matsumae.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-08-01 at 17:18.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 16:57   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm going to second Kuroko for driving me away from Railgun. For a cute adolescent trying to sell yuri fanservice to the audience with Misaki her voice sounds like a screeching old woman. But she's my favorite character in the manga since she isn't reduced to yuri bait and shows off her awesomeness more.

There's also Sasuke from Naruto. At the time I dropped it I couldn't tell whether Kishimoto was going for a sympathetic antagonist or a batshit insane villain. There was sadisticness following tragedy with no transition to make the former believable.

Asuka didn't save Evangelion for me but she was interesting enough to keep me watching. She gives the show some much-needed energy and it might have been worth it if she were introduced earlier in the anime.

I have favorite characters from a lot of shows but none have yet to carry sinking ships.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 17:32   Link #4
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

inb4 shiro
Old 2013-08-01, 17:41   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

There are some cases where I endure a show because of just one character. One from the top of my head is Rias Gremory from Highschool DxD (season 1 only. I haven’t watched the current 2nd season). IMO the rest of the show is painful to watch: boring and mediocre MC, boring supporting cast, dull story, bland animation, unimpressive action, half-ass world building, I can go on and on, but somehow watching Rias managed to help me withstand the torture that is Highschool DxD's entire 12 episodes of season 1.

In the end, I didn’t find Highscool DxD to be worth my time (the anime is just too lame). That’s why I stay away from season 2 unless I have nothing better to watch.

The opposite have never happened to me as I’ve never dropped a series because of just one annoying or badly-written character. I’m more of a story-driven guy. If I wasn’t, there’s no way I could endure the entirety of Evangelion’s animated features (though the Rebuild movies have made some characters more "likable" than the original series).
Old 2013-08-01, 18:04   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

I'm kind of with Archon on Ohana/Hanasaku Iroha, as I might not have lasted through HSI's weaker portions if the show had a weaker main character than the very strong and likable/entertaining Ohana. But I guess it doesn't always register with me when the show-saving character is also the main character.

I'm also kind of with Akito on Asuka in NGE. I think Asuka arrived at the perfect time in NGE. At that point my interest in the show had been waning a bit, and Asuka's explosive character reignited my interest in the show. She added a dash of color and excitement that contrasted well with the general tone of the original NGE.
Old 2013-08-01, 18:11   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Sai in Hikaru no Go might be one such character for me.

Spoiler:

Sai and Grimmer from Monster are two of my all-time favorite supporting characters in anime.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 18:21   Link #8
Joyce_Steele
Banned

I believe this thread may scream Kotonoha from School Days. Nearly all SD fans watch that show just for her alone.

Even worse than Kotonoha is Yuno from Mirai Nikki. Awful lots of people just want to her kill someone in that show.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 18:51   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
I believe this thread may scream Kotonoha from School Days. Nearly all SD fans watch that show just for her alone.
Interesting. I honestly preferred Sekai, and I'm pretty sure I liked School Days more than most anime fans do. That being said, Kotonoha is probably the most sympathetic character in the cast.

Quote:
Even worse than Kotonoha is Yuno from Mirai Nikki. Awful lots of people just want to her kill someone in that show.
A good yandere is creepy, but very entertaining, imo. So Yuno being the textbook yandere makes her the most entertaining major character in Mirai Nikki, imo.
Old 2013-08-01, 19:04   Link #10
Eragon
Still Alive

I suffered Inuyasha just for Kikyo. I suffered four-five absolutely abominable central characters, shitty plot, stupid side characters just for one Miko - don't look at me like that, I was 15. By the end of Inuyasha the Final Act, I was ready to commit genocide against the entire cast bar Kikyo (who was already dead - twice over >_>)

It was on television so, that also played a part.

Dropped Highschool DXD because of MC and, also a lot of other reasons.

Seikon No Qwaser - I don't know why I even started this. Must have been hormones.

Special mentions,
1)I should probably include School Days too, in the list of shows that I dropped. I didn't drop it but neither was I watching for any particular character. The only reason I didn't drop it was because, at the time I had this stupid notion of suffering through something you obviously are not enjoying. All the cast plus the director, for good measure, are those "special characters".

2) I would watch MSGM, day and night, even if it only featured Sei sipping tea. I can't get enough of her.
Old 2013-08-01, 19:05   Link #11
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

School Days? Obviously Setsuna.

As for Mirai Nikki, Yuno being cheered is only natural. Everyone else in the show is annoying/terrible/crazy/evil, so they were almost designed to be off'd. I don't know. I wouldn't know because I tossed it midway through.

I also liked Lan from Lagrange, which made me at least finish the first season. Nothing against her Madoka, but Lan was the only one that was entertaining to me.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-01, 19:14   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
School Days? Obviously Setsuna.
I think I've figured out your taste in anime girls. Short, dark, stoic, and loli. You really should be watching Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA☆ILLYA, you know.

Quote:
As for Mirai Nikki, Yuno being cheered is only natural. Everyone else in the show is annoying/terrible/crazy/evil, so they were almost designed to be off'd. I don't know. I wouldn't know because I tossed it midway through.
Yeah, I lost interest about midway through too. Doubt I would have stayed even that long if not for Yuno.
Old 2013-08-01, 19:37   Link #13
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

For show-ruining

Yasaka Mahiro- I liked Haiyore Nyaruko-San a lot but I felt like Mahiro was an annoying prick more than a tsukkomi.

Gasai Yuno- To be honest I think Yuno's textbook yandere trait ended up annoying me very much.

Fuyou Kaede- Like Yuno I found her yandere tendencies annoying than attractive.

I don't particularly have a show-saving character due they end up being with the characters that cause me to the drop the show.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 19:45   Link #14
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

For me, Nemuru Kushinada from Okkami Kakushi and Oshino from Nisemonogatari come to mind.

Also, I feel Kureneko from Ore no Imouto should get a nod to, even though that show also has Saori in it. I would have ragequit sooner if it wasn't for her.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
weaponX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 20:47   Link #15
Kirarakim

I could not stand Blue Gender, but I stuck with it for Tony. Everyone was else just bored me to tears. Really not sure if this would be considered a spoiler but just in case

Spoiler:
Old 2013-08-01, 23:42   Link #16
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think I've figured out your taste in anime girls. Short, dark, stoic, and loli. You really should be watching Fate/Kaleid Liner PRISMA☆ILLYA, you know.
Well, to be fair, I like characters of many different sizes. Also, one can be of age but just happen to be short, k? Setsuna did happen to work out fine despite lacking *that*; it's not everything. Though Illya doesn't seem to fit any of these criteria besides loli. I'm guessing you're talking about Miyu who does seem to resemble Setsuna a little, lol. Plus magical girl shows tend to sit well with me.

Quote:
Yeah, I lost interest about midway through too. Doubt I would have stayed even that long if not for Yuno.
Of course; I'd imagine you're about as fond of douches as much as I am. We're not just talking about evil villains with dramatic flair-- we're talking about annoying cutouts that resemble people. This is the same reason why mediocre horror movies revolving dumb characters dying in overly exotic ways [Austin Powers style] have limited appeal. Though at least Mirai Nikki has 1 person that isn't terrible.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-01, 23:47   Link #17
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
List of "I only watched this show because of" Characters:

Tomoyo from Clannad Season 1
Senjougahara from Monogatari
Matsuri from Sola
Yukino from Yahari
Hare and Ayase from Guilty Crown (this series seriously lacks doujins)
Satsuki from Koichoco
Miu from Mashiro-iro
Nanaka from Myself;Yourself
Tamako from Tamako Market (omg I actually like a Kyoani moeblob, what is this?)
Kotori from Da Capo (I still have no idea to this very day how I watched four seasons + OVA of this trash)
Kuroyukihime from Accel World

List of characters that needs to GTFO:

Aiko from True Tears
Kazumi from Shakgun no Shana
Ayu from Kanon
Fuko and Kotomi from Clannad
Mikuru from Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Menma from Anohana (... actually there would be no point in the series then, but who cares I hate her :3)
Nadeko from Monogatari
Maria from Boku wa Tomodachi
Index from To Aru no Majutsu no Index
Kuroko from To Aru no Kakagu no Railgun
Kirino from Oreimo
Yui from K-on
Chisato from Koichoco
Nanami from Sakurasou
Suguha from Sword Art Online
Shu from Guilty Crown (by extension any character voiced by Yuki Kaaiji)
Every male character from Hanasaku Iroha
All of the new characters from Nanoha StikerS (in fact just delete StrikerS please)
Aoi from Myself;Yourself (probably the only character that has a more annoying voice than Kuruko)

:3
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 23:58   Link #18
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Hey! Kotomi made part of Clannad Season 1, though I understand you didn't like it much. Also, Maria is like a poor man's version of Index, which... I don't know is quite bad. >.>

Anyhow, how I got driven off Canaan, in one easy clip; she just gave me a headache and it wasn't very sugoi at all:

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-02, 00:03   Link #19
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
@ Archon Wing: You don't seem to like a lot of A Certain Magical Writer's characters. Or at least have very polarizing views from series to series.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 00:11   Link #20
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
@ Archon Wing: You don't seem to like a lot of A Certain Magical Writer's characters. Or at least have very polarizing views from series to series.
Lol, a certain magical writer eh? Well, sometimes they make me go but sometimes they make me go

It really varies, but at least some of the female characters are amazing.

Also, Pocari, StrikerS doesn't need to be deleted. Just 80% of it. Which is still better than the manga, of which 103% should be deleted. Now on Kazumi which I no longer have a grudge against, Season II of Shana though...

MyAnimeList || Reviews