AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-28, 20:29   Link #1
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

e-Readers

Well, I have been thinking about getting an e-reader to enable me to read all of the nice light novels that have been translated of late ('tis a shame so many will never be published outside of Japan) since printing them myself would be expensive.

I am looking at the Sony Digital Reader Touch (PRS-600BC). It's not too expensive and has all of the features I want, ideally open formats.

So, does anyone have a nifty e-reader that let's them read e-books?
Old 2010-08-28, 21:06   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I use a iPad as an e-Reader device, but it's technically a tablet computer. The only real advantage is that it's a multifunctional device (e.g.: You can surf the web, read email, listen to music, word processing, etc.). I use it mainly for web surfing and textbooks and the IPS color screen helps alot... The backlit display isn't a big deal since I sit in front of the computer. Also, the Adam tablet coming out in a few months will have a color e-Ink screen (costs around the same as the 16GB iPad) and runs Android... The real advantage of these devices is that you aren't locked into one e-book store and you can buy books from other sources providing they have an app for the device.

Of course, multifunctional devices will cost a lot... If you don't need internet on a portable device, look at the Kindle 3 (which supports PDFs) or the nook as those seems to be a popular choice. Amazon and B&N has a big selection of books to buy from, so it's not a big deal.
Old 2010-08-28, 21:06   Link #3
Langus
Optimus Prime

The Kindle you can get through Amazon is one of the best.

My issue with ebooks is that they cost more than regular printed books. Until they slash the price there isn't a chance in hell I'll be buying one. It's just not economically feasible for a casual reader.
Old 2010-08-28, 21:19   Link #4
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
there is something I like about being able to hold a book, or printed page in my hand, and have it on a shelf so I know it's always there
though admittedly, I would make great use of an ereader for heavy text books and class material

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 08:54   Link #5
spikexp

The new kindle 3 at 139$ is the best ereader.

The only thing I hate about the kindle 3 is the small screen, it's too small to read manga :*( and the DX cost to much (better take a ipad at that price).

I will wait some time before buying an ereader to see bigger model for lower price. I will continue to use my laptop.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 11:23   Link #6
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

When I first read the thread title, my first thought was of the Nintendo e-Reader Damn I feel old.

I'll echo what others have said about the Kindle, it's by far one of the best e-Reader on the market.
Old 2010-08-29, 11:31   Link #7
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I have the Kindle ( the regular second generation one ) from Amazon. There's some limitation of course; most of the book are in english which is normal but if someone like me than want to read book from french author in french, it's better to get a paperback version.

But in the long run it will save me much room and money.
Old 2010-08-29, 12:48   Link #8
Ending

Especially if the books or mangas don't cost a penny.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 13:28   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I have Android Comic Viewer on my phone, it works for reading manga scanlations while waiting for the bus or whatever. Actually I prefer to read manga on my phone as opposed to my PC, because it's easier to change pages and whatnot.

I wouldn't want to read an actual book on it, though. I do want to pick up an e-reader, especially for school. Textbooks are expensive, yes, but the physical copies can be resold. The main concern, however, is weight. Textbooks are very heavy. Using an e-reader, or a netbook with a Pixel Qi display, or a tablet with one such as the Notion Ink Adam, I can view my textbooks without having to carry around a tremendous amount of weight.

I'm waiting for Pixel Qi to release larger-sized LCD replacement kits, because they only have 10.1" panels available now (and afaik, they're sold out right now).

It would be much more useful to me to have a 12.1" Pixel Qi LCD which I can put into an Asus UL20 series ultraportable with a Core i5 ULV processor. It would be powerful enough to handle all of my CIS work and also function as my textbooks.

Though the deeper I get into programming... I am going to want more than 768 vertical pixels...

Think I may have to look into building a desktop, or picking up a different laptop with a higher-resolution display!

Still also kinda waiting for the Notion Ink Adam, but I don't know if it'd actually be useful to me outside of reading e-books, to the point where the higher price tag than an e-reader would be worth it...
Old 2010-08-29, 21:31   Link #10
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The Kindle is very good, but it is limited with format support. Specifically it lacks EPUB support, which is a good open source format used by libraries.
Old 2010-08-30, 07:07   Link #11
spikexp

Epub can be convert to PDF easily. Or you can search epub to kindle on google.

But I have to admit that not supporting the Epub format is not good, since a lot of internet ebook seller offer epub.
Old 2010-08-30, 10:33   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, I have been thinking about getting an e-reader to enable me to read all of the nice light novels that have been translated of late ('tis a shame so many will never be published outside of Japan) since printing them myself would be expensive.

I am looking at the Sony Digital Reader Touch (PRS-600BC). It's not too expensive and has all of the features I want, ideally open formats.

So, does anyone have a nifty e-reader that let's them read e-books?
I have that type of Ereader and I am very pleased with it.

Here's also a hint for when you have .pdf files and such: the program called Calibre, which is free to use.

It can convert .pdf files to .epub files so that you can read them better on the Ereader. It can convert anything for different type of readers.
http://calibre-ebook.com/
I make a lot of the epub files myself, I read quite some fanfiction which I can take with me with ease.

There are only 2 things that are a problem, one of which might also be part of other Ereaders.

The SONY Ereader like above can read .pdf files and such however with a pdf it doesn't automatically enlarge the letters for you. This means that if you have like manga for example converted to a .pdf that you have to use the zoom function to read the pages which can be annoying. You can drag the screen around easily but it takes longer to read things this way specially when it comes to normal books on .pdf format.

This is why you'd want to convert texts to .epub which means that the letters etc. adjust to your screen. In easier words said they will easily fit without problems.
At least for the Sony

The problem I had with the Sony Ereader is that it doesn't have a lock button. So if it is on it will stay on until the battery is out. I took my Ereader with me now twice on a long vacation travel and seemingly the lip on top which you only have to move slightly to turn it on is easily moved on accident or unnoticed. So the device was nearly out of power when I arrived and felt like reading.

Other than that it is a great reading device =) I've been using it loads past summer
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 11:42   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If you want to read manga, get an e-reader or tablet (or smartphone) with Android and install ACV. It's pretty much win.
Old 2010-08-30, 11:55   Link #14
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If you want to read manga, get an e-reader or tablet (or smartphone) with Android and install ACV. It's pretty much win.
Well, I can do that pretty easily with my PSP, but it's a little small, a kindle DX is exactly the size of a paper manga.
Old 2010-08-30, 18:17   Link #15
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

I don't care much about touch features, so I went with the Sony Reader Pocket. Loving it to bits. Once you get used to it, the reader is a joy to read. Much nicer on the eyes compared to back-lit LCDs, and I now prefer it even over paper books. Mass-market paperback has terrible quality anyway, and hard-covers are 1) too large, and 2) hard to hold open. Nothing more satisfying than being able to roll around in bed and just click, click click.

Books that are heavy in stuff other than text (i.e. images) however, aren't quite there yet. Not because the HW isn't there, but most books I've seen use horrid blocky scans instead of proper 200 DPI of the said images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Here's also a hint for when you have .pdf files and such: the program called Calibre, which is free to use.

It can convert .pdf files to .epub files so that you can read them better on the Ereader. It can convert anything for different type of readers.
http://calibre-ebook.com/
I make a lot of the epub files myself, I read quite some fanfiction which I can take with me with ease.
+1 on Calibre, although do try to avoid PDFs on Sony Readers. Slides converted to PDFs display great horizontally, however!
Old 2010-08-30, 20:34   Link #16
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Awesome. I think I'll go with the Sony. Just have to choose which model. It's good to know that it's better to convert to EPUB first too.

And I have a Droid Incredible and I can read on it good, but the screen is small, the battery gets killed when reading, plus it fatigues my eyes.
Old 2010-08-30, 20:38   Link #17
james0246

Personally, I have held off on buying an e-reader until either an e-library or a version of netflix for e-books is released...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 20:46   Link #18
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Personally, I have held off on buying an e-reader until either an e-library or a version of netflix for e-books is released...
Public libraries let you rent e-books now, but of course that's dependent on where you live and all. My public library let's you borrow DVDs, books on tape, books on CD, VHS, e-books and who knows what else now. And if they don't have something, they'll get it from another library in the county.
Old 2010-08-31, 14:07   Link #19
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Much nicer on the eyes compared to back-lit LCDs,
This is what makes a tablet a bad idea, if you want to read manga for an entire day your eyes will hurt like they do from being behind a monitor or tv too long
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 15:24   Link #20
spikexp

And with a tablet you won't be able to read in the sun (or almost not). Most e-readers are like real paper.

The reason I would want a ereader is that it's easier to transport than a normal book, more resistant, can hold all the book you want to read (for those who read many book at the same time).

The only thing that I hate with ebook is that not all book have one, it cost to much for the fact that you have nothing (for not so much you can have a paper version that look much better in my bookshelf). That would also be good is you could have a free ebook version of the paper book you buy.

One thing I would love is if my school could sell the manual and text collection book in ebook version, it would be so much easier to transport with me in school and in class.