AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-23, 21:05   Link #161
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You probably should adjust your intro to make it more clear that you don't take it seriously if you really don't (really, you shouldn't want to take the credibility hit if someone thinks you're serious ). But after all, you *did* ask what we thought of it. It was just easier to puncture item by item.

Some of my relatives revel in this "grassy knoll - they're hiding the UFOs" kind of stuff. It makes family gatherings a teeth-gritting experience and I want to beat them with a rolled up World Weekly News titled with the latest "Batboy Meets With President Over Alien Issue". But then again, given my career background, they think I'm one of those "Men In Black" anyway....

Kudos on translating it... (from Korean? or what?)
Old 2007-04-23, 21:37   Link #162
WhiteWings

Sorry, I think I was just annoyed after taking some time trying to translate it. But of course I know the whole point for me doing it in the first place was to see people's reactions...

I kinda typically hate having to explain every minute detail. I'm type who finds all the liability and warning labels on today's products stupid and ridicule them though I understand the necessity of it. Then again, in this world where court trials fight over the use of the phrase 'I'm sorry' in legal terms... What a harsh yet stupid reality we live in.

Anyway, I just found the article interesting enough to show it. Kind of a refresher from the sober gloomy atmoshpere of this thread. Not to be insulting to those still mourning over VT massacre, though I think NBC pretty much did that plenty despite their 'the-public-has-the-right-to-know' angle, but to divert people's attention elsewhere wouldn't hurt.

I translated it from Korean although according to the guy who sent me this the original might have been either English or something else. And yes for the record, I'm Korean who is a permanent resident at the age of 24.

Just to see if there are any idiots out there in this forum who wants to bash for it.
Old 2007-04-23, 21:48   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

NBC covered themselves in pigslop over that one and then made it worse with their inept defense of it (factual errors about their integrity and other news organization handling of it).

Fascinating how the media was all over it while meanwhile (all kinds of other horrible things were happening...).

I suspect there was enough national chagrin that someone labeled "korean" had done this that some felt compelled to point the finger in *SOME* other direction. I just feel horrible for the shooter's family because, from what I've been able to glean, they were doing everything they knew to do to help this guy and now they're just devastated and worry they're going to be tagged and shamed as the family this guy came from.
Old 2007-04-23, 22:56   Link #164
WhiteWings

I don't think there is gonna be an all out witch hunt for Koreans and Asians although there probably is going to be more a few fools who just want to hurt someone.

Any race, ethnicity, country, or tribe(?) typically throughout history tried to divert the full attention should one of their group commit some major crime or injustice. Nothing new. Still, at least an apology was quick and honest. I'm not going to name who but many countries are often REALLY reluctant t apologize and make things worse. In any case, if there is going to be some major backlash at Koreans and/or Asians then there would have to be some long lingering festering nest of problems which are just ignited by some incident like this one opposed to a major negative backlash caused by just this incident.

I don't think there are any Koreans, citizen or not, who doesn't feel some guilt and shame. Though few were ever really responsible even in a remote way to what Cho has done. It's tragic enough even just the wounded and dead that psycho caused. Many of the students were a doorstep from graduating and stepping into a limitless possibilities in the lives. But when taking into account all the families, friends and others who are connected with those who suffered by Cho's actions... Personally, that is what pains me the most. So much pain caused by one man. Nothing new but its all still fresh and deeply agonizing.

One of the few sad bitterness felt between some Koreans is that of all the things for Koreas to catch the attention of the whole world it had to be a the biggest massacre caused by a single person in the modern US history. Because of this incident countless people who never knew much about Koreans, assuming they even knew Koreans existed, now know more than ever.
Old 2007-04-23, 23:04   Link #165
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
I don't think there is gonna be an all out witch hunt for Koreans and Asians although there probably is going to be more a few fools who just want to hurt someone.

Any race, ethnicity, country, or tribe(?) typically throughout history tried to divert the full attention should one of their group commit some major crime or injustice. Nothing new. Still, at least an apology was quick and honest. I'm not going to name who but many countries are often REALLY reluctant t apologize and make things worse. In any case, if there is going to be some major backlash at Koreans and/or Asians then there would have to be some long lingering festering nest of problems which are just ignited by some incident like this one opposed to a major negative backlash caused by just this incident.

I don't think there are any Koreans, citizen or not, who doesn't feel some guilt and shame. Though few were ever really responsible even in a remote way to what Cho has done. It's tragic enough even just the wounded and dead that psycho caused. Many of the students were a doorstep from graduating and stepping into a limitless possibilities in the lives. But when taking into account all the families, friends and others who are connected with those who suffered by Cho's actions... Personally, that is what pains me the most. So much pain caused by one man. Nothing new but its all still fresh and deeply agonizing.

One of the few sad bitterness felt between some Koreans is that of all the things for Koreas to catch the attention of the whole world it had to be a the biggest massacre caused by a single person in the modern US history. Because of this incident countless people who never knew much about Koreans, assuming they even knew Koreans existed, now know more than ever.
The thing is that the Columbine killers were WHITE and there was no backlash against "white people" so why should there be a backlash against Asians/Koreans??? The people who do the backlashing on Asians/Koreans are as guilty as the shooter himself.
Old 2007-04-23, 23:09   Link #166
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_of_Hell View Post
The thing is that the Columbine killers were WHITE and there was no backlash against "white people" so why should there be a backlash against Asians/Koreans??? The people who do the backlashing on Asians/Koreans are as guilty as the shooter himself.
I'm white myself, and this has always ticked me off.
Next time a white guy shoots up some place, I better hear a newscaster remind all those minorities that they should not direct their indignation at the Caucasian race. Otherwise, I'm suing for discrimination.
Old 2007-04-23, 23:23   Link #167
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
I'm not too sure. I'm Asian, but not Korean, and ever since the unravelling of the VA Tech event, I've been given the stink eye by simply walking into a grocery store or restaurant.
Old 2007-04-23, 23:34   Link #168
kayos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Because of this incident countless people who never knew much about Koreans, assuming they even knew Koreans existed, now know more than ever.
Trust me, Korea made it's name in gamer's news with their release of DJ Max Portable 1 and 2. Love the music too and I'm not korean. It's one of the only games keeping the psp alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I'm white myself, and this has always ticked me off.
Next time a white guy shoots up some place, I better hear a newscaster remind all those minorities that they should not direct their indignation at the Caucasian race. Otherwise, I'm suing for discrimination.
Don't worry, it's not the color of the skin that matters, it's every states between New York to California that we have to watch out for. Those country bumpkins are crazy. I've seen texas chainsaw massacre, the hell with driving I'm flying. Kidding, just trying to lighten things up.
Old 2007-04-23, 23:43   Link #169
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"We'll take everyone but the Irish!!!" --(ref. Blazing Saddles)
Old 2007-04-24, 01:23   Link #170
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Don't worry, it's not the color of the skin that matters, it's every states between New York to California that we have to watch out for. Those country bumpkins are crazy. I've seen texas chainsaw massacre, the hell with driving I'm flying. Kidding, just trying to lighten things up.
No, no - you're spot on with that observation. Believe me, I know firsthand *points to location*.
I'm not usually an advocate of sweeping generalizations, but you've gotta watch out for those Bud Lite-chugging, house-building, gun-toting, pickup-driving nuts running around out here in the sticks.
Did you miss Higurashi? People in the country get crazy.
Old 2007-05-03, 14:30   Link #171
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Quote:
Student creates Counter-Strike map of school, gets kicked out of school

Even without strong evidence of a link between real-life violence and violent games, a Texas student has been suspended for creating a Counter-Strike map based on his school. Full Story
The educational future of this student is most probably down the drain due to paranoia and overreaction, which is heavily related to this VA Tech shooting.
Old 2007-05-03, 14:39   Link #172
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I hope he is able to personally sue the people involved out of existence. What a load of crap.... people create level maps using available materials frequently. What is it about school administrators that makes them such fools? (believe me, often the teachers think the administration and school boards are full of idiots as well).
Old 2007-05-04, 09:20   Link #173
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I pity the other students in VA Tech. My university had the same incident occured when i was doing my degree a few years back and i can tell you, it's not very pleasant to go to the same place the next day after to attend class without thinking about it.

Personally, i don't blame the parents or health care system or even the gun control law. This is more of a social problem that's more deeply rooted into how our society is changing to nowdays. Bad parenting or teenage psychological problem is probably just the convenient excuse.
Old 2007-05-04, 10:34   Link #174
kalyke

Send a message via MSN to kalyke Send a message via Yahoo to kalyke
Cowboys and Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
No, no - you're spot on with that observation. Believe me, I know firsthand *points to location*.
I'm not usually an advocate of sweeping generalizations, but you've gotta watch out for those Bud Lite-chugging, house-building, gun-toting, pickup-driving nuts running around out here in the sticks.
Did you miss Higurashi? People in the country get crazy.
...I live in rural Montana, actually everything in Montana is rural... anyways, although I detest the Bud Lite-chugging, house-building, gun-toting, pickup-driving jerks, there not the type that would shoot up a school. Although I'm treated as an outcast by these cowboys for my Indie music and Anime obsession, they don't deserve to be generalized in that way.

I actually feel safer in Montana knowing that like half of the population owns a gun, you know that someone isn't going to break into your house, because theres most likely a gun cabinet somewhere. On this subject I hope they never outlaw guns, because then the innocent, law abiding people would have no guns and the criminals would have as many guns as they want. Because its the criminals who can get the guns when there not supposed to.
Old 2007-05-04, 13:07   Link #175
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Personally, i don't blame the parents or health care system or even the gun control law.
Well, the killer had psychological problems, even when he was a child, so this is beyond how the parents can teach their children, or how the current state of the society is kind of thing. And, considering that, if the system didn't have the defects that you mention in your post, that specific event wouldn't have happened. Although it won't change the fact that, another one might have come up with another massacre, still, this one was within the reach of the system's control, and it failed to do so.
Old 2007-05-04, 19:00   Link #176
Telliamed
sensei no pet

VT fallout? One broken B.B. gun = four arrests
Original article @readthehook.com

On Monday night, April 23, just after 11 P.M., police responded to reports of a gunman outside an engineering building.

Coming a week after the Virginia Tech massacre, terrified students barricaded themselves in rooms; at least one had a panic attack so sever she had to be hospitalized. More than two dozen police responded with guns drawn, only to discover four students filming a skit for their Japanese language class.

The weapon? A broken plastic b.b. gun used for a scene in which one character mugs another on the streets of Tokyo. The supposed gunman, 19-year-old Christopher Allen Smith, a UVA second-year, was arrested on the scene and spent the next two nights in jail before being released on $10,000 bond Wednesday morning. He was then charged with misdemeanor brandishing a firearm.

Three other students, Caroline Y. Choe, Jerry N. Hsieh, and Eric Chau, were arrested Thursday night, April 26. Facing the same charges as Smith, they were booked and released the same evening.

Albermarle Commonwealth's Attorney Jim Camblos, who brought the charges against all four students, says the egregiousness of their offense cannot be overestimated.

"There's a horrific set of facts involved with this case," says Camblos. "It put a lot of police to a lot of work and scared a number of university students to the point that several had to go to the hospital."

"It was stupid, no doubt," syas John Whitehead of the Rutherford Institute. "But we don't put people in jail for being stupid."

North Caroline-based Mikael Gross, a lawyer and former police officer who helped apprehend the shooter at the Appalachian Law School murders in 2002, agrees. "How can you brandish a weapon if it's not a real weapon?" he asks. "I know it's a short period of time after Virginia Tech, but people have to remember the Constitution is still the Constitution."

The students say they have written letters of apology to the affected students in Wilsdorf Hall. "Even though the alleged threat wasn't real," says Choe, "all the distress and emotional trauma that ensued was real and is just as much of a reason to feel horrible about this incident."

-----

And in a case of closing the barn doors after the animals have escaped... Gov. Tim Kaine has signed an executive order that prohibits the sale of firearms to anyone ordered to seek mental health treatment and declared dangerous to themselves. (Richmond TImes Dispatch)

Meanwhile.... http://www.derfcity.com/n/newtoon.html (until 5/7)

P.S. My first thought when reading the article and seeing the photograph, is that there might have been racial profiling. But Smith (photo at bottom of page) was the guy seen with the gun. No need for nasty speculation.

Last edited by Telliamed; 2007-05-04 at 19:17.
Old 2007-05-04, 20:34   Link #177
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think the human species should be astonished on the rare instances they actually make a lick of sense rather than the collective stupidity on the part of just about everyone mentioned in that post outside of the remarks by Whitehead and Gross.

Camblos in particular is an idiot.... "we're charging them because of a lot of idiots over-reacted and we're going to waste everyone's time and $$ now"...
Old 2007-05-31, 04:04   Link #178
Tiberium Wolf

English teacher killed in Japan

Main link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6501991.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6502549.stm

Oh well... kinda crushes my image of Japan but we all should know that ppl around the world are all the same. We got killers, robber, etc everywhere. No place is exception.

Yesterday in Portugal(my country), someone killed another just because a discussion of chicken. Doh.
Old 2007-05-31, 04:12   Link #179
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think kj1980 little articles in the Japanese otaku lingo thread or where ever it was about some psychopath, were more shocking then that will ever be. But I never had any impression Japan was some heaven compared to the rest of the world to begin with.. I don't see the reason you would have thought so until now.
Old 2007-05-31, 04:19   Link #180
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I think kj1980 little articles in the Japanese otaku lingo thread or where ever it was about some psychopath, were more shocking then that will ever be. But I never had any impression Japan was some heaven compared to the rest of the world to begin with.. I don't see the reason you would have thought so until now.
It's not like I thought so. I only knew about this when today I read in newspaper that specializes in crime only. Yeah crime only, 100% crime LOL. It had a disturbing text and some disturbing images. Didn't read it all coz I was working so I just took a glimpse and decided to look at google when at home.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international