AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-06, 00:49   Link #41
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
I havent but after seeing a gif posted to twitter I had to check this out and I roped Sage into it too

OnoD and Kamiyan? yes please.
Yeah, you tied the rope a bit too tight there Bunbun...showing me Apollon's magical "girl" transformation out of the blue like that...my heart and nosebleed couldn't take it, so I had to watch...and dear god what is up with those blooming flowers background? I laughed so hard at that (more so than even Apollon's transformation -- was too busy gawking and nosebleeding to laugh then).

If I was Yui and saw a Pegasus approach me...I wouldn't run; I'd catch it and go for a ride!

I'm glad Yui isn't a dead fish like that Amnesia girl...couldn't stand her even for the bishies. =_=

Love the ED though. Hehe...OnoD...yeaaaahh.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 02:31   Link #42
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
The Free ED was unintentionally hilarious though with the HoYay. :lmao:
Believe me, that wasn't unintentional. Just like how Apollon's transformation in this show wasn't unintentional either...

Re: the ED, I also think it was meant to be like an idol music video, and I think it's a neat idea, though they could've skipped the lip flaps, that will never be not weird with 2D animated characters. The song is okay, though.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 03:06   Link #43
Horse

Loved this shit. I was expecting crapola but I thought BRAINS BASE delivered a very solid first episode. Here's hoping the budget doesn't disappear in the next one...
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 07:46   Link #44
LKK

Quote:
I think I'll probably like the Greeks the most...so far they didn't seem as hateful as Loki/Baldur or the two Japanese gods.
I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, but Baldur was hateful? Baldur?? The kindest, gentlest god in the Norse pantheon? That Baldur? Well so much for mythological accuracy.

Not the I was expecting mythological accuracy from this series, mind you.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 07:55   Link #45
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I haven't had a chance to see the episode yet, but Baldur was hateful? Baldur?? The kindest, gentlest god in the Norse pantheon? That Baldur? Well so much for mythological accuracy.

Not the I was expecting mythological accuracy from this series, mind you.
No no, Baldur wasn't hateful, he was, er, smooth. To break it down:

Apollon: the puppy, sunshine personified, adorable deity next door, etc. Also very smooth.
Hades: the dark one who seems standoffish, but actually he Suffers In Silence and angsts beautifully
Tsukito (aka Tsukiyomi): the silent, seemingly unfeeling one who needs to be taught What Love Is
Takeru (aka Susanoo): the short, aggressive proto-tsundere one (also, bro-con)
Loki: the one who pretends to hit on the heroine and calls her "kitten"
Baldur: the airhead/"tennen" one who talks to little birds and tends to fall on his ass a lot. Also, fall on the heroine. And tell her she has very pretty eyes. And pretty hands. And may we just stay like this for a while....

It's just that Loki seems to be pretty attached to Baldur, and when he saw the heroine talking with him he was like "OMG WHAT U DOIN HOE" and led Baldur away. (Incidentally, Takeru had the same reaction at seeing her talking to Tsukito...)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2014-04-06 at 08:06.
Old 2014-04-06, 08:28   Link #46
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i usually stay away from animes like these with a 10 foot pole but this time the girl actually has a personality, as long as she doesnt turn into a "erm,um" girl this might be interesting......could do without the damn flower backgrounds though
Old 2014-04-06, 08:30   Link #47
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Baldur: the airhead/"tennen" one who talks to little birds and tends to fall on his ass a lot. Also, fall on the heroine. And tell her she has very pretty eyes. And pretty hands. And may we just stay like this for a while....
Now that sounds more like the Baldur I know. Well, except for the whole falling down part.

I have got to find time to watch this show. It sounds so fun.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2014-04-06, 09:28   Link #48
Irisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
i usually stay away from animes like these with a 10 foot pole but this time the girl actually has a personality, as long as she doesnt turn into a "erm,um" girl this might be interesting......could do without the damn flower backgrounds though
I'm currently crossing my fingers that she'll keep her personality (well, the premise of the series, in that she is to teach the gods about humanity, suggests that her personality is an integral part of the plot), though I can allow an episode or two for Yui to acclimatize to her kidnapping/employment/enrollment while in a half-stupor/"OMG how am I supposed to interact with GODS on an equal ground?!", but any more than that, and I'd start to worry that she'd go the way of other Otome heroines.

And am I the only one who finds the Norse gods kind of nice? I mean, all the gods at the academy already have a distanced to/low opinion of humanity in one way or another, so Loki (who isn't a very nice god to begin with), talking down to Yui and not wanting her near the purest deity of the Norse pantheon makes somewhat sense (and Baldur is Baldur, allround nice person, but I think he might be looking down on humans in a "benevolent" way). Though if there's a Christmas episode, I have to wonder what they'll do about the mistletoe scenarios.
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 09:49   Link #49
zztop

1) I wonder how Yato would fare at Zeus's god school. I mean, he IS somewhat bishie, I think...

2) I wonder who that silver haired man who talked to Zeus from the shadows was.

3) And as Apollo brought Yui's lips to his, she grabbed hold of him...
And gave him a good old Jungle Savate. Thanks, Hiyori!!!!!
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 09:51   Link #50
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractal4 View Post
That Apollon transformation sequence had me howling with laughter. I think I'll continue watching this
Apollon couldn't wait anymore for the new Sailor Moon, so he decided to take the initiative.

PS. I still think that falling prank Loki pulled on Agent Coulson at Stark Tower was mean and uncalled for.
Old 2014-04-06, 09:58   Link #51
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I have got to find time to watch this show. It sounds so fun.
It is, so far. I don't expect it to become any more than another Broccoli otome game adaptation which is hopefully at least as fun as UtaPri, but I'd be happy with the show being good at what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
I'm currently crossing my fingers that she'll keep her personality (well, the premise of the series, in that she is to teach the gods about humanity, suggests that her personality is an integral part of the plot),
I don't know about that. Yui is cute, but let's be honest here, we're not supposed to be here for her.

Quote:
And am I the only one who finds the Norse gods kind of nice? I mean, all the gods at the academy already have a distanced to/low opinion of humanity in one way or another, so Loki (who isn't a very nice god to begin with), talking down to Yui and not wanting her near the purest deity of the Norse pantheon makes somewhat sense (and Baldur is Baldur, allround nice person, but I think he might be looking down on humans in a "benevolent" way).
So far only Loki and Takeru were really douchy to her, Tsukito and Hades were kind of wtf, and Apollon and Baldur were friendly (let's put it that way ). But so far Apollon is the only one who went "oh so you're the human girl! wow, a human! Yay! ^o^)" *smooch*

By the way, as for Loki and Baldur, well. Considering that in the myths Loki pretty much had Baldur killed out of spite/for the lulz and went out of his way to keep him dead, the two of them being so attached in this show is kind of ironic, to say the least. But eh, I don't expect a whole lot of mythology in this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
2) I wonder who that silver haired man who talked to Zeus from the shadows was.
That was Thoth, one of the two Egyptians who apparently have been demoted into side characters.
Old 2014-04-06, 10:22   Link #52
zztop

Quote:
That was Thoth, one of the two Egyptians who apparently have been demoted into side characters.
Who will the other Egyptian god be? I know there's quite a large number of them.

Anyone interested in the Murakumo no Tsurugi sword can read about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusanagi
Old 2014-04-06, 10:33   Link #53
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Who will the other Egyptian god be? I know there's quite a large number of them.
Anubis. It seems he's the Cecil (as in UtaPri) type chara in the game, so he was left out from the main cast...

It seems to me that the anime writers wanted to concentrate on the "first tier" characters, which is a pity because I'm a lot more interested in Dionysos, Thor and Akira (aka guy!Amaterasu) than the rest. I hope they'll have at least some cameos.

By the way, I know we shouldn't think too deeply about this, but isn't this school kind of dangerous? I mean, deities are not known for being okay with having love rivals, never mind mortals spurning them. Imagine all of them falling for the heroine - she doesn't even have to "choose" for the school to become a battlefield.
Old 2014-04-06, 10:53   Link #54
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Love interests completely aside what if the gods start fighting? Loki seemed tonot be too favorably disposed towards the Greek gods, for example.

Especially with the opening scene foreshadowing the gods fighting with something or other and strutting their power... umm... yeah. For a human being I would say it is pretty dangerous.

Though the sword thing might be a trump card to protect from random short tempered deities or the like.
Old 2014-04-06, 12:00   Link #55
fractal4

It just occurred to me that transformed golden Apollon should hang out with Gilgamesh from Fate/Stay Night. They could talk about gold jewelry, exchange hair styling tips and skincare tips especially on how to keep those godly body markings (tattoos?) looking fresh.
fractal4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 13:16   Link #56
LKK

I watched the episode during lunch. Hubby was in the room and cracked up at Apollo's transformation. It was so beautifully over the top on our 50" plasma.

I like Yui! She's got spunk. It takes a lotta gumption to refuse Zeus and walk out on him. Especially when you're afraid deep down inside. If she manages to keep on being spunky and gumptiony, Yui will become the first otome game anime heroine that truly impresses me.

The golden apples in the ED sequence caught my eye. Golden apples have a significant role in Greek and Norse mythology. (I know little about Japanese mythology unfortunately.) In Greek mythology, a golden apple is the prize when Paris judges which goddess is the most beautiful. The post-contest events eventually led to the Trojan War. In Norse mythology, golden apples are the source of the gods' immortality and youthful looks. The golden apples in the ED can't have been a coincidence.

Perhaps Yui will be asked to award a god a golden apple at the end? Perhaps perhaps her decision leads to the battle we saw at the beginning?? /speculation

PS: If you want a slightly more extensive but still quick-to-read summary of golden apples in mythology, there's a Wiki page devoted just to that subject.

Old 2014-04-06, 13:56   Link #57
RoboMambo

The moment Apollo transformed it was a given I'd watch this. And the ed closed the deal.

And Yui was an actual character, and the guys weren't obnoxious.

Wonder if Apollo's fortune in love will change for once?
RoboMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 14:11   Link #58
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
I'm currently crossing my fingers that she'll keep her personality (well, the premise of the series, in that she is to teach the gods about humanity, suggests that her personality is an integral part of the plot), though I can allow an episode or two for Yui to acclimatize to her kidnapping/employment/enrollment while in a half-stupor/"OMG how am I supposed to interact with GODS on an equal ground?!", but any more than that, and I'd start to worry that she'd go the way of other Otome heroines.
Yeah, I like Yui anyway. Hopefully she's doesn't turn into a speshul snowflake like these other series usually do.

Quote:
And am I the only one who finds the Norse gods kind of nice? I mean, all the gods at the academy already have a distanced to/low opinion of humanity in one way or another, so Loki (who isn't a very nice god to begin with), talking down to Yui and not wanting her near the purest deity of the Norse pantheon makes somewhat sense (and Baldur is Baldur, allround nice person, but I think he might be looking down on humans in a "benevolent" way). Though if there's a Christmas episode, I have to wonder what they'll do about the mistletoe scenarios.
I was more amused at how quickly Loki was on Baldur's d**K as soon as Yui showed up.

How come there's no Thor is this? Marvel threaten to sue or something?

I like Kamiya as Yato better than Kamiya as Baldur.

So this is the same people who did UtaPri? No wonder it was familar. And we're supposedly getting a token, dark-skinned exotic guy too

Apollo is either going to be the biggest troll in the show/or the Ren of the group....or he's Tokiya and be in love with the heroine from first sight.

I think I kind of like Hades though. I always liked the whole Hades/Persephone story.

The song is surprisingly...listenable. Ono and Hosoya are good singers, but who's the VA for the bluehaired tsundere Japanese god? He was the best one.
Old 2014-04-06, 14:46   Link #59
kuromitsu

Quote:
How come there's no Thor is this? Marvel threaten to sue or something?
There is a Thor, and he seems great and just up my street (if not really boisterous, which is a bit of a pity), but he's not in the main cast and I don't think he'll be in the anime. He's voiced by Sugiyama Noriaki, and apparently he really hates snakes and anything that resembles a snake. (It's one of the big misses in the setting that he doesn't seem to have a cat.)

Btw, here's a game still of Team Norse & Yui.

Quote:
Apollo is either going to be the biggest troll in the show/or the Ren of the group....or he's Tokiya and be in love with the heroine from first sight.
Naah, the Ren of the group is Loki. XD He's the one who was all flirty and called Yui "kitten".
Apollon - Otoya (from the games, he's a lot more proactive and ahem, hands-on there than in the anime)
Hades - Tokiya
Loki - Ren
Baldur - Natsuki
Tsukito - Ai (the android senpai)
Takeru - Shou

Quote:
but who's the VA for the bluehaired tsundere Japanese god? He was the best one.
It's Toyonaga Toshiyuki. He really has a good voice...

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2014-04-06 at 15:03.
Old 2014-04-06, 15:19   Link #60
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
There is a Thor, and he seems great and just up my street (if not really boisterous, which is a bit of a pity), but he's not in the main cast and I don't think he'll be in the anime. He's voiced by Sugiyama Noriaki, and apparently he really hates snakes and anything that resembles a snake. (It's one of the big misses in the setting that he doesn't seem to have a cat.)
Thor and Anubis have my favorite hair styles of the bunch. Anubis with his "cat ears" and Thor with that lighting bolt cut out.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote