AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-08-05, 11:33   Link #61
Frontier

You know a girls' got it bad when her first dream of the New Year is her younger kouhai kissing her .

So Urushi lives in a classical Japanese house with her cute cat and even sleeps in traditional Japanese clothes. Neat .

Of course in a romcom you have to have the leads stumbling into each other even when they're not in school, but it was nice to see Urushi in casual wear and to see her and Ayumu get to spend the day together again. They even got to recommend books to each other and have a cute moment of videotaping Urushi's struggling because she's short !

Ayumu got to learn a lot about Urushi from visiting an Okonomiyaki stand that she and her deceased grandpa frequented. The manager is gruff, but a nice guy, no matter how much he complains about all the shogi being played at his establishment. And he's more than willing to dish out on how adorable Urushi was as a child, complete with flashbacks. Kid Urushi was too cute for words, and Urushi eating a satisfied meal was almost just as cute .

Of course her cat would be named "Kin," and she reminds Ayumu of Urushi so much that all his compliments feel like they're being directed towards Urushi. And the cat loves him! Which probably says a lot about Urushi's feelings as well, or how compatible they are. And the cat played surprise wingwoman by giving the pair an intimate moment with each other .

Takeru and Sakurako on a movie date! And Sakurako looked really good in her casual clothes! But poor Takeru could barely concentrate when she keeps acting out all the intimate couple moments between the leads in the movie right there next to him in the theater. Is she that oblivious and committed to acting out a story she enjoys? And would she have committed to that kiss since she was acting it out with the expectation that the kiss was going to actually happen like it did in the book? Takeru seems like he wouldn't have minded in the end .

So, like, what was that movie about!? It seemed like it was a man and a woman on the run together in a post-apocalyptic society and then the man ends up growing a tree out of him at the end? Which is an actual change from the book since it was supposed to be a straight up kiss scene? I'm as confused as Takeru .

Nothing says two teens in love like an accidental video call at midnight and just two kids talking in the night and enjoying each others' company like they're sleeping right next to each other...and then Ayumu actually goes to sleep and Urushi has to stay awake with how flustered their romantic night call together went. Too sweet for words .
Old 2022-08-05, 18:33   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So, like, what was that movie about!? It seemed like it was a man and a woman on the run together in a post-apocalyptic society and then the man ends up growing a tree out of him at the end? Which is an actual change from the book since it was supposed to be a straight up kiss scene? I'm as confused as Takeru .
I'm thinking that even if Takeru had managed to concentrate, he wouldn't have gotten any of it. I assumed this was a zombie story and Johnny was going to eat her face during the kiss but he just turns into a tree because why not?
Old 2022-08-05, 19:03   Link #63
grecefar

sakurako had the time of her life lol, killed two birds with one stone, enjoy the movie and tease takeru.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-05, 19:52   Link #64
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, it's one confusing movie. Everything up until the tree was pretty much your standard Zombie/ Post apocalypse flick. Either way I am just as curious as Takeru as to what would have happened if they stuck with the source material.
Old 2022-08-06, 00:27   Link #65
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm way more hyped when Sakurako and Takeru are on screen. I didn't think this would be a case where I'm loving the side couple more than the main one, but it might get there.

Not that I dislike Ayumu and Urushi. But maybe Ayumu's stance on all of this is just throwing me off. I guess it just feels a bit too selfish. He's not holding himself back on anything besides just not confessing. He'll go out on dates, he'll dig (maybe a bit too much) for personal information, express his attraction to her, etc. But he just won't confess. Despite all that griping it isn't like I don't like the pair. Urushi carries things really well and watching her feelings develop is pretty enjoyable.

Seriously though, Sakurako and Takeru are just fun. The only thing holding them back is just not quite being ready to openly say it. Despite doing similar things in terms of going on dates it works for me. Maybe it is just because they show up in short bursts. But regardless, I am enjoying seeing these two spending time together. And it feels like they are getting somewhere. Just really a matter of time...and presuming there's no more hypnotism.

Not sure about the movie's plot. But it was interesting seeing Sakurako act like she did throughout the movie. I wonder what she would have done if they didn't change the ending like that! As for the plot itself...I guess it was basically a zombie apocalypse type situation but instead of turning into a zombie...you end up a tree. So maybe a weird mix of The Happening with World War Z?

Credit to Sakurako though. The type that doesn't get upset about adaptations making changes. And considering it presumably went from a romantic finale to a semi-tragic one that's quite the leap for her to absorb so well.
Old 2022-08-06, 09:37   Link #66
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Not surprising. I'd say that they're at bare minimum equal to Ayumu and Urushi, if not the better pair. It happens. I've had romcoms in the past where side characters' romances were far more interesting to me. Heck, I'm pretty sure I've heard some people express a greater interest in Hamaguchi and Hojo than in Nishikata and Takagi.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-06, 10:23   Link #67
Frontier

Ayumu is just too disciplined and strict with himself for his own good .
Old 2022-08-06, 18:39   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I could tell from the start I'd like Takeru and Sakurako better than the main pairing. Urushi and Ayumu are just too ordinary, nothing makes them stand out. Frankly, they're boring.
Old 2022-08-07, 10:01   Link #69
SentryD

I do like Urushi and Ayumu too, and their relationship is progressing in a steady pace compared to other couples in similar anime, but Ayumu is still a bit annoying due to the strange mix of his obnoxious intrusiveness and fear of actually confessing his feelings. The way he's casually overstepping the boundaries without taking Urushi's feeling into consideration sometimes gets a bit uncomfortable to watch, especially when his assertiveness is paired with being a huge pussy.
I don't really want to complain though, this episode was the best so far, but the dynamic between Sakurako and Takeru is simply just so much better and more interesting that the main couple pales in comparison, regardless how cute Urushi is. It is literally impossible to not love the cinema scene.
The accidental video call in the end of the episode was really good as well, probably my favorite Urushi x Ayumu moment so far, however
Spoiler:

So despite all my complaints, I think this anime is season top 3 (or at least top 5), I'm just not really a fan of Ayumu's character itself. Otherwise it's pretty fun.
SentryD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shogi, slice of life