AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2022-01-15, 08:50   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was waiting for good subs to come out and eventually just forgot about it. I'd probably need to rewatch the series first anyway.
Old 2022-01-15, 09:09   Link #42
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The subs I watched with were decent.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-15, 10:28   Link #43
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Where did you watch the movie? I completely forgot about this.
I'm not sure if I can honestly answer this without breaking Anime Suki rules. I'll just say that there is an English subbed version out there now on the internet. If you search for it on Google, you'll probably find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was waiting for good subs to come out and eventually just forgot about it. I'd probably need to rewatch the series first anyway.
If you're up to rewatching the series first, I'd recommend it.

This is a huge cast. Most of the characters I remembered well enough, but a few I remembered very vaguely, which probably made their scenes less impactful for me than if I had watched the TV series shortly before watching the movie.
Old 2022-01-15, 11:46   Link #44
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I remember watching this one back in March of last year (and writing extensively about it, although to my disappointment, there was very little discussions of the film back then). It's a bit of a downer in the beginning, but after Aoi's musical number, things pick up big time

If memory serves, the film was a satisfactory way of bringing everyone back together for one rousing conclusion: it didn't do anything revolutionary per se, but it did handle an issue that the TV series didn't cover, allowing it to bring something new to the table, making it a worthwhile experience for viewers.

I would tend to imagine that accessibility is one of the main reasons why this film wasn't discussed more in general, but it's also the case that many of the biggest players in our old Shirobako thread are no longer active here, which is probably why Shirobako discussions has decreased here.
Old 2022-01-15, 14:53   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm one of those "players," and I'll admit I forgot about this movie. Was pretty tough to see in theaters in the US when it was limited to a single-day's run. Then it wasn't available via alternate means, but I've since acquired a copy of this film. I'll post back after I've watched it. First I'm going to watch My Dress-up Darling!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-16, 01:01   Link #46
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It was screened in US and some other countries. English subbed version is also you know there for a few months already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not sure if I can honestly answer this without breaking Anime Suki rules. I'll just say that there is an English subbed version out there now on the internet. If you search for it on Google, you'll probably find it.
No, I got ya. It's to bad CR or Funi didn't pick this up, but oh well. *raises my skull and crossbones flag* But, it is what it is.
Old 2022-01-16, 04:46   Link #47
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Movies are rarely picked for streaming, unfortunatelly. Unless it is Netflix or Sentai.
Old 2022-07-09, 09:50   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally got around to rewatching the series and watching the movie. Rewatching the series probably wasn't necessary since the movie provided a recap of sorts and characters that weren't Aoi or Kinoshita didn't get that much screentime (although almost every character came back so it was pretty nice), but I had a blast so I don't regret it. Definitely the best anime PA works made.

The movie was really good, although I'd say it was too depressing for the first half. Seeing Musani having almost completely fallen apart for circumstances that were beyond their control and Aoi herself not even enjoying her job anymore was just really sad. It felt like they took a dump on the ending of the original series.
Thankfully, Aoi picks herself up and brings most of the cast back to produce a movie that apparently managed to bring Musani back on the right track, given the number of projects they had lined up at the end. So it's a good ending. We also got to see the progress the other four girls made, even if some didn't have much screentime.

Would love to see a sequel in the future where the girls finally get to make their Seven Lucky Gods anime. Would require a big timeskip, though. Maybe one day.

I was a bit confused about one thing: in the series Nogame (3rd Wing author) had gotten burned with one of his past anime adaptation so he was really strict about what the anime could or couldn't do. And yet, the sequel to 3rd Wing, made by another studio, completely raped his work by turning it into a fanservice anime. How did that happen?
Old 2022-07-16, 18:02   Link #49
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I was a bit confused about one thing: in the series Nogame (3rd Wing author) had gotten burned with one of his past anime adaptation so he was really strict about what the anime could or couldn't do. And yet, the sequel to 3rd Wing, made by another studio, completely raped his work by turning it into a fanservice anime. How did that happen?
This whole thing was probably made as a jab to excessive fanservice by either a studio or director so I do not think they even planned to explain it.
Old 2022-07-16, 18:20   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
This whole thing was probably made as a jab to excessive fanservice by either a studio or director so I do not think they even planned to explain it.
But they already made that jab in the series. Nogame's first work was also a serious one that was turned into a brainless fanservice anime. That's what led to the entire drama about the last episode of 3rd Wing needing to be redone because the author didn't approve. They even emphasized that "the original author is God".

So it makes no sense to me.
Old 2022-07-16, 18:26   Link #51
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

His previous work was turned into a gag series, not as a much a fancervice one, if I am not mistaken. Hard to say when. Maybe it was to show how studio change may mess up a relatively popular but not super hit show. Maybe editors just pushed to much to benefit from the initial shows sucess and made the wrong decisions. This is why Musashino was proposed to make a remake(?) at the end of the movie.
Old Yesterday, 08:55   Link #52
jdotaku

loved the series been meaning to watch the movie for a long time hoping to get to it this month as I have somewhat of a break from family life
jdotaku is offline   Reply With Quote