AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2020-09-04, 23:17   Link #81
velvet nightmare

what's the mechanic that lets misaka move really fast?

I don't think this skill has been explained before.

her underlying ability is control of electro-magnetism, but there's nothing scientifically i can think of that lets her traverse distances that quickly while bypassing inertia.
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 00:48   Link #82
Primary Consult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Eh, I compare them to the other dark side organizations. So far this group just comes across as like, an up an coming merc group that specializes in capture/kidnapping. The others come across as stone cold killers.
On Accelerator I think they knocked off a few DA members, with Yomikawa wincing at the the sight.

Scavenger come across as the anti-ITEM: similar aloof personalities, but instead of succeeding at nearly every mission, they seem to be on track to fail at every mission.

It would be great if they were to come across (and subsequently lose to) more level 5s... they are on track to have worse luck than Touma at the moment!
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 05:27   Link #83
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
On Accelerator I think they knocked off a few DA members, with Yomikawa wincing at the the sight.
Other than Yomikawa, Anti-Skill is basically the NPCs that just get red-shirted. There's no evilness with killing them. So killing the poor spin-off version of Anti-Skill is even more yawn.

Quote:
It would be great if they were to come across (and subsequently lose to) more level 5s... they are on track to have worse luck than Touma at the moment!
That'd be great.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 13:10   Link #84
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post

Scavenger come across as the anti-ITEM: similar aloof personalities, but instead of succeeding at nearly every mission, they seem to be on track to fail at every mission.

It's hilarious imagining what they'd do with Gunha .
Old 2020-09-05, 13:18   Link #85
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Also, if you had told me one of their members was a boy, I'd have 100% assumed it was the leader, not Seike.
Seike Taroumaru.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-05, 18:54   Link #86
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post

her underlying ability is control of electro-magnetism, but there's nothing scientifically i can think of that lets her traverse distances that quickly while bypassing inertia.
I think she basically generates the equivalent of a maglev system to move around by levitating magnetically. But I'm just speculating here.
Old 2020-09-06, 00:34   Link #87
tsunade666

Arrow

Quote:

Never shown in tha novel so I dont know.

Rule of cool? By theory probably through the help of magnetism but not sure. She swings around which was shown in the manga, like spiderman but moving fast? Not sure but repulsion and attraction?

Last edited by tsunade666; 2020-09-06 at 08:02. Reason: edited the slider part. its spiderman.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-06, 01:43   Link #88
Primary Consult

I figure the speed is due to it being shown from Seike's perspective - usually we see from Mikoto's perspective with detailed movements. When Mikoto jumped down, all Seike sees is a lightning flash which probably had the same effect as a flashbang to an observer. Then before the finish, she uses a magnetically assisted jump, which have been fast enough to dodge Mugino's beams...
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-06, 01:45   Link #89
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Never shown in tha novel so I dont know.

Rule of cool? By thepry probably through the help of magnetism but not sure. She swings around which was shown in the manga, like slider man but moving fast? Not sure but repulsion and attraction?
I'm fairly sure it has been mentioned in the books that she uses the rebar and other metal in the surrounding buildings to basically slingshot herself around.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-06, 08:01   Link #90
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I'm fairly sure it has been mentioned in the books that she uses the rebar and other metal in the surrounding buildings to basically slingshot herself around.
I re:edited it. I mean she moves like spiderman when moving from building to building. she's fast that way but not to fast. She's squishy and can't ignore it like accelerator or some of the magicians did. She can also be hard to hit with her using her magnetism to dodge hits and even use it to block by using iron sand.
Old 2020-09-11, 11:38   Link #91
Top Sergeant

Next week: Railgun vs. Godzilla! Be there!
Old 2020-09-11, 14:15   Link #92
Jaden

Quote:
I re:edited it. I mean she moves like spiderman when moving from building to building. she's fast that way but not to fast. She's squishy and can't ignore it like accelerator or some of the magicians did. She can also be hard to hit with her using her magnetism to dodge hits and even use it to block by using iron sand.
Good question...

I can think of many ways for Misaka to accelerate, but whenever she launches or stops herself, it should tear her body.

The anime is perhaps exaggerating her movement speed.

Still, the "science" side of this franchise is so much more entertaining to me. From the verbal boss battle in this episode to the kaijū battle coming up, it's an excellent climax. The only thing that can ruin this is if Touma shows up and one punches it.
Old 2020-09-11, 14:28   Link #93
Side-streetdog

Quote:
She use Junko's "Rampage Dress"
Mentioned here
https://twitter.com/gouranga_/status...97357699391488

She learn a bit from Junko, but not as powerful as Junko nor can be use all the time

____

EP 23

Poor Scavenger's leader, but it was funny as hell

And finally, what I waiting for whole season!

Spoiler for Next episode spoilers:
Old 2020-09-11, 16:45   Link #94
Frontier

Poor Scavenger having to cover for themselves to not look like the bad guy to a Level 5 who could probably tear them apart again. Nice job lying through the skin of their teeth and using the relative truth to their advantage .

Leader's face when she realizes Misaki is involved with this .

I guess it wouldn't be an experience with a Level 5 without Leader peeing herself...at least it wasn't as bad this time as it was with Accelerator .

Mikoto ends up believing their with Judgement just because she flies off the handle and gets lectured on it by Kuroko, so she assumes it's the same with this group and Seike. Oh Mikoto, you gullible girl you .

Best way to get a bunch of thugs to listen to you? Pretend to be an innocent damsel in distress trying to save them and turn up the cuteness. Works like a charm .

I'm sure she probably has a reason for wearing it, but Leader looks much cuter without the mask .

Sure, they had to rely on achieving the bare minimum of their mission, but the Scavenger's actually managed to turn this into a win and get the heck out of dodge! Good for them .

It looks like we finally get some backstory on Leader, where her issue with "teachers" was that she was shunned and treated as unwanted by one, with her classmates doing the same thing. So having Mikoto show her some appreciation and care actually had some impact on her .

I was not expecting this to turn into a fight between Mikoto and a kaiju, but I am all here for it .
Old 2020-09-14, 13:08   Link #95
velvet nightmare

[QUOTE=Side-streetdog;6437584]She use Junko's "Rampage Dress"
Mentioned here

She learn a bit from Junko, but not as powerful as Junko nor can be use all the time

____

that's interesting, but still doesn't explain how she bypasses inertia. I.e. a maglev train can move fast, but it still needs to accelerate to that speed over time.

Even if we assume she can strengthen her body and create an extremely powerful magnetic field (not sure how that helps because her body isn't made of metal) we still don't know how she moved as fast as a teleporter. Honestly, it could just come down to a very liberal animator not realizing they were breaking her ability.
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-18, 12:40   Link #96
Frontier

Nothing like a kaiju to make Mikoto go all out! Or to make her own electric metal kaiju to fight it with, complete with its own super-charged Railgun .

That's a nice bike Kuriba owns. The doctor jacket plus motorcycle combo is quite effective .

Yeah, you've got to be really careful with advanced intelligences, because when they start to be smart enough to question their own existence and whether they're really alive...it usually doesn't end well .

The Scavengers come in with the save! I guess Mikoto being so nice and trusting inspired Leader to have the Scavengers do their one good deed of the day .

Nothing quite as precarious as fighting in the sky atop a dirigible .

Looks like the final episode is going to be a nice coda with the whole gang, which seems like a good way of bringing this season to a close .
Old 2020-09-19, 08:18   Link #97
itine
No Book No Live

OMG! Episode 24 was even better than Episode 14!
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 08:36   Link #98
Side-streetdog

Love how they made Kaijuu fight
Though, I was expected more of traditional Kaijuu
Not expected Misaka's Kaijuu able to move like that

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Side-streetdog View Post
She use Junko's "Rampage Dress"
Mentioned here

____

that's interesting, but still doesn't explain how she bypasses inertia. I.e. a maglev train can move fast, but it still needs to accelerate to that speed over time.

Even if we assume she can strengthen her body and create an extremely powerful magnetic field (not sure how that helps because her body isn't made of metal) we still don't know how she moved as fast as a teleporter. Honestly, it could just come down to a very liberal animator not realizing they were breaking her ability.
Simply there are limit how espers can use their ability
More powerful esper can overcome less ones
Like how Misaka attacks were useless against Accelerator
And Maglev have a lot of weight, just simply lightning doesn't have that much problem

Human body have bio-electricity, that use to control body
That's how Misaka could produce electric whenever she want in the first place
Rampage dress allow user to manipulate electrical signals in user cells to perform super human maneuvers
And like the name, it works like kind of cloth like Offense armor
That allow user to took direct hit from bullets and perform insane strength

Misaka may not have level of control in-cell electricity like Junko
Since she had tried something like this first time in STUDY arc (Railgun S)
But she has far superior control of electric
If it just some burst of electricity to instantly jump (like railgun) then it should be something Misaka still could do
Old 2020-09-21, 11:03   Link #99
X207
Gamyūsa

Episode 24 was great, the electric kaiju was a nice surprise. If this is only 80% of all her abilities and tricks put together at level 5 then scavenger are REALLY happy they didn't see her go all out against them. I look forward to the next episode.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-25, 12:29   Link #100
Frontier

So in the end, the Doppelganger wasn't trying to lash out at humanity for it's own existence, it just wanted to stop existing and prevent something like it from being created again and force it to continue dealing with existential issues over it's lack of soul. In that respect, Mikoto destroying her was the thing she desired most of all .

Academy City scientists just don't know when to quit. He couldn't accept that his project didn't actually work and then he has the gall to pull a gun out and shoot Kuriba. A mental reset from Misaki is the least he deserves .

Scavenger is still on about being a Tokusatsu team. Why can't Yakumaru be Yellow? It fits her outfit. Does she not have the excitable personality of a yellow? Is Seike Blue because he's a guy ?

I get Seike wears a girls school uniform, but he also wears women's panties...? I mean, I thought he might be forced to dress like that, but it seems like a genuine lifestyle choice .

Scavengers play hardball and finally get their status restored! Good for them. And now whenever she sees Gekota, Leader will think of that time they teamed-up with Railgun .

Misaki gets to interact more with Mikoto's friends (beyond brainwashing). Uiharu and Saten gush all over her, while Kuroko is frightened for her chastity .

Kongo becoming friends with Mikoto's Sister and even naming her was so adorable. It was a nice way of bringing this season full-circle .

Dolly, Mitori, and Misaki are still together and seeing the sights with Dolly. That's nice for them .

Kuriba gaining Doppelganger's personality from the organ transplant seems like a valid recompense for what happened, even if it amounts to Doppelganger visiting her dreams and basically summing up all of Kuriba's faults .