AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2021-04-02, 19:17   Link #1
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Yuru Camp△ The Movie

Per the official Yuru Camp site, Yuru Camp△ The Movie will release somewhere in 2022. Shochiku will be distributing this film, and returning staff include:
  • Director: Yoshiaki Kyougoku
  • Script: Jin Tanaka, Mutsumi Ito
  • Character Design: Mutsumi Sasaki
  • Production: DeNA Contents Planning Department
  • Animation Production: C-Station

Here's a rough visual that was released along the announcement!

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-04-02 at 19:33.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-03, 17:15   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Is that visual for real? Given that Rin has a proper bike she must be over 18. And they both received character development, you have to be shitting me.
Old 2021-04-05, 10:07   Link #3
grecefar

yeah that looks like a big time skip, maybe university.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-06, 10:49   Link #4
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The official Twitter indicated that the Yuru Camp movie will be screening in Japanese cinema somewhere during Summer 2022. With this, they also unveiled a new key visual:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-03-09, 14:58   Link #5
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The latest update from Yuru Camp's official Twitter account provides us a release date for the movie: July 1, 2022. The estimate for a home release (i.e. when most of us, save those think it's a good idea to spend several thousand dollars just to fly over to Japan just for this movie) is anywhere from February 2023 to June 2023, depending on whether or not they choose to wait 7 months or 11 months before deciding they've maxed out theatre profits and are finally ready to send out the BDs. A new key visual is also provided:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-03-09, 23:06   Link #6
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

While you're waiting for the movie, you can watch your favorite campers (and theme song performer!) promoting "Easy Life, Easy Curry."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1501745805149208576
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-09, 23:13   Link #7
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I appreciate the share, and I definitely could go for some curry, myself!
Old 2022-06-01, 12:22   Link #8
SidVicious
Anime addict

New trailer:

https://youtu.be/DROz9ATilaw
Old 2022-10-24, 15:01   Link #9
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I have fantastic news: Yuru Camp: The Movie is coming to Amazon Prime Video on November 4, 2022.
Old 2022-10-25, 17:00   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That is great news. I don't suppose it's a world wide release though.
Old 2022-10-25, 18:44   Link #11
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The article doesn't specify, but chances are that it's an Amazon Prime Japan only deal. Even then, the fact that the movie is being streamed a mere four months after a theatrical release is a positive and could set precedence for shorter delays between theatrical screenings and home releases.
Old 2022-11-15, 11:32   Link #12
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I finally had the chance to sit down and watch the movie. It genuinely was a gem of a film to watch (I have much to say on the film, and it won't all fit here), and better yet, for everyone who's got a Crunchyroll subscription, the movie is coming out on November 24.
Old 2022-11-26, 13:25   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finished watching the movie. I probably would have been a bit sad if I had thought this was the last Yuru Camp installment, but since a third season has been announced since then, I was able to enjoy it fully.

Seeing the girls as adults was a treat. I'm glad none of them lost touch, even if it was hard for them to get all together due to their various responsibilities. Rin's job in particular seemed harsh, she even worked on New Year's Eve FFS. Nadeshiko's job was like the opposite, regular hours with a really cool boss who doesn't even mind her directing customers to their rival, and it's camping related to boot! She really landed a good one. Probably doesn't get paid anywhere as much as Rin, but being able to maintain a balanced life is far more important than money IMO.
Inuko was a good fit as a teacher. Ena's job is also pretty nice, being around dogs all day. Chiaki's job was the Rin type I guess, but it didn't really seem like she was being worked to the bone.

The five of them coming back together for a campsite project was a great idea. Had its ups and downs, but everything ended up working out in the end. Gotta admire their dedication to put so much of their free time into hard unpaid work. Liked how they struggled with some stuff at the beginning and eventually got the hang of it thanks to some kind helpers. They somehow still messed up badly for their opening day, thankfully they managed to fix things thanks to the trusty moped.

Overall a very positive movie. I felt silly at the end for thinking stuff like Rin's grandpa being dead (since she inherited his motorcycle and all) or Chikuwa being so old he would die (that scene were he was walking super slowly had me going "oh nonono").

Oh and I really liked the scene where Nadeshiko brought Rin to that super hidden Onsen in the mountains. I was about as shocked as Rin when they got there
Old 2022-11-26, 13:49   Link #14
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Finished watching the movie. I probably would have been a bit sad if I had thought this was the last Yuru Camp installment, but since a third season has been announced since then, I was able to enjoy it fully.
It's great to see more people watch the film: this is an essential experience for all fans of Yuru Camp We're really lucky to get a third season, but given the series' popularity and the fact the manga is ongoing, it would actually be more shocking if we didn't get that third season!

Quote:
Seeing the girls as adults was a treat. I'm glad none of them lost touch, even if it was hard for them to get all together due to their various responsibilities. Rin's job in particular seemed harsh, she even worked on New Year's Eve FFS. Nadeshiko's job was like the opposite, regular hours with a really cool boss who doesn't even mind her directing customers to their rival, and it's camping related to boot! She really landed a good one. Probably doesn't get paid anywhere as much as Rin, but being able to maintain a balanced life is far more important than money IMO. Inuko was a good fit as a teacher. Ena's job is also pretty nice, being around dogs all day. Chiaki's job was the Rin type I guess, but it didn't really seem like she was being worked to the bone.
I think Rin's office job is actually par the course for how office positions in Japan: if one can't deliver on time, staff are expected to put in the extra hours and get things over the finish line. However, the pay isn't terrible, and I get the sense that Rin really enjoys what she does. When I worked at a start-up, I regularly did this: not because I had to, but because I always felt that if I could get ahead of something, it would be helpful. Things have changed now, and I'm technically not supposed to do more than a certain amount in a given week unless I report it.

For Nadeshiko, it seems that she's probably an assistant manager for the store she's with, given that her dialogue with Rin later shows she's doing well enough financially, and how knowledgable about products she is. Seeing everyone in plausible jobs suited for their interests is important for the film; it takes away any worries we may have about how everyone's futures look following the third season. I can't help but wonder if this is why the movie was released now, versus after the third season.

Quote:
The five of them coming back together for a campsite project was a great idea. Had its ups and downs, but everything ended up working out in the end. Gotta admire their dedication to put so much of their free time into hard unpaid work. Liked how they struggled with some stuff at the beginning and eventually got the hang of it thanks to some kind helpers. They somehow still messed up badly for their opening day, thankfully they managed to fix things thanks to the trusty moped.
The sorts of things in the Yuru Camp movie reminds me of reality: people work on unpaid side-projects all the time for fun, and in fact, I've been helping develop an app in my own time for some folks I met with my last role). The learning process in the Yuru Camp movie is more or less what things look like in real life, so it's clear the writers know their stuff, and we get to enjoy it. Now, what I'm about to say next is controversial: Rin bringing the Yamaha Vino back in the film's last segment was more or less how Top Gun: Maverick gave Maverick a chance to fly the venerable F-14 again. Both films incorporate iconic gear in a brilliant way, and that's such a huge win.

Quote:
Overall a very positive movie. I felt silly at the end for thinking stuff like Rin's grandpa being dead (since she inherited his motorcycle and all) or Chikuwa being so old he would die (that scene were he was walking super slowly had me going "oh nonono").
I was never worried about Rin's grandfather, but seeing Chikuwa slow down this much was a little saddening. I was filled with joy when he breaks out into a trot during a walk with Ena, showing he's got life in him yet. These topics were touched upon in the second season, and I felt they handled it maturely (Ena knows Chikuwa's time is limited, but this is why she'll make the most of every moment with him).

Quote:
Oh and I really liked the scene where Nadeshiko brought Rin to that super hidden Onsen in the mountains. I was about as shocked as Rin when they got there
The Yuru Camp movie follows its predecessor in researching their locations. The campsite they revitalise isn't based on a real location (the actual spot is a farmer's field), but that particular onsen, Yatsugatake Honzawa Hot Spring, is very real and the highest outdoor hot springs in Japan. It's great to see this film continue to spend effort in ensuring the locations and people are plausible, and this will make the third season all the more enjoyable
Old 2022-11-26, 19:42   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
It's great to see more people watch the film: this is an essential experience for all fans of Yuru Camp We're really lucky to get a third season, but given the series' popularity and the fact the manga is ongoing, it would actually be more shocking if we didn't get that third season!I was never worried about Rin's grandfather, but seeing Chikuwa slow down this much was a little saddening. I was filled with joy when he breaks out into a trot during a walk with Ena, showing he's got life in him yet. These topics were touched upon in the second season, and I felt they handled it maturely (Ena knows Chikuwa's time is limited, but this is why she'll make the most of every moment with him).

The Yuru Camp movie follows its predecessor in researching their locations. The campsite they revitalise isn't based on a real location (the actual spot is a farmer's field), but that particular onsen, Yatsugatake Honzawa Hot Spring, is very real and the highest outdoor hot springs in Japan. It's great to see this film continue to spend effort in ensuring the locations and people are plausible, and this will make the third season all the more enjoyable
I don't watch much anime movies anymore (or movies in general, really), but I would never miss a movie based on a healing/relaxing anime. The Aria movies and the Shirobako movie are pretty much the only anime movies I've watched those past two years.

I think Chikuwa's subplot hit close to home for many people. Pets are amazing (though I'm more of a cat person) but outliving creatures you've known since they were babies and have been by your side at all times for more than a decade is incredibly hard. I was also happy that they showed us he still had a bit of life in him.

I didn't know that was a real location, that's really great!
Old 2022-11-27, 13:18   Link #16
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Iyashikei films tend to be the kind that I can't miss, either. Yuru Camp has the bonus of having one of the most reasonable launch times, as well, and I wish this would set the precedence for anime movies.

I had a very similar experience: with my last position, the founder brought his dogs to our office since we had a dog-friendly building, and one of his dogs was a little Yorkie. We loved having him around, but one day, we learnt that the Yorkie had suffered from a renal infection and passed on. It hit especially hard even though we'd only known the Yorkie for a half-year. I can't imagine what it would be like for pets who've been with families for the whole of their lives, and here, I'm glad Yuru Camp handles things in such a respectful manner.

Finally, just for kicks: when Rin rides out again
Old 2022-11-29, 21:26   Link #17
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
My thoughts 30 minutes in: how the heck aren't Nadeshiko and Rin already married!? What kind of stunt is this moving pulling here!?

But yeah, solid start to the movie. Setting everything up. Certainly setting Rin up to either leave the job she's at or find the passion needed to make headway at that job. But I'm more likely to bet on her leaving the job to run the campsite they are putting together. If Rin was doing something she was enjoying or connected to her getting to camp all the time I'd doubt it more. But the job is more getting the way of her camping. Nadeshiko is the one who seemed to have her head on straight in that sense. She grew to love camping and at least made sure to career search in the direction of working with camping stuff.

Oh good, they found time for the narrator to get into this movie. Took about an hour, but he's welcome to return .

1.5 in: Yeah, that's about what I figured. Things were going smoothly after all. And artifact excavation would be a possibility after finding that piece. Of course I seriously debate whether a museum would really revitalize the area compared to camping. But I suppose schools might drag kids there for field trips or something.

1.75 hours in: I almost feel bad for the museum group at this point. Bet they didn't know they could/needed to provide a video presentation with cute girls and dogs at that meeting .

End: Overall I'd say it was a good movie. Some of the vibes from the movie did line up with what Yuru Camp is. But there were definitely some differences that likely came from a more "theatrical experience." Like following Rin as she dramatically drove around to find lost camp guests and guide them to the campsite. Or just the really dramatic middle part where their dream was looking doomed. Not that Yuru Camp's previous seasons had no drama, but it was pretty contained. Like the group getting a bit worried about temperatures dropping and their phones running out of battery. Dramatic, but they were taken in by fellow campers within minutes so it didn't overstay it's welcome. With the movie the downer middle really hung around for quite a bit until they gathered themselves.

Overall I think it was a solid movie. I'd definitely put it behind seasons 1 and 2 though. Things like Chikuwa looking old and leaving Rin's Grandfather missing (for most of it) did bring some weight to the movie. But in some ways I feel like it was too much weight. I treat Yuru Camp as a comforting series to sit back, relax, and just enjoy. But with the movie there was a bit too much drama for that.

Plus some things just felt lacking. I mean really all these characters are still single? Were they worried about harming the ticket sales by showing their lives progressing personally and not just professionally? Plus it really did feel like they were setting up something for Rin at the start, but...not really. I guess it really was just about her finding more satisfaction with her job and that was the end of it. Somehow that camp site will continue to function with most of them busy with full-time jobs. Doesn't seem like the city is hiring staff to take over now that the site is running.

Hate being too critical though. It was a solid movie. And it captured a lot of what made Yuru Camp work. It's just not the best anime movie I've seen this year and I'm kind of glad this isn't the last thing Yuru Camp gets in anime form. Whether season 3 is the end or not, I feel like a full season is the best way to finish off this series. Even if the movie is technically the end of the timeline.
Old 2022-11-29, 23:44   Link #18
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Plus some things just felt lacking. I mean really all these characters are still single? Were they worried about harming the ticket sales by showing their lives progressing personally and not just professionally? Plus it really did feel like they were setting up something for Rin at the start, but...not really. I guess it really was just about her finding more satisfaction with her job and that was the end of it. Somehow that camp site will continue to function with most of them busy with full-time jobs. Doesn't seem like the city is hiring staff to take over now that the site is running.
The reason why the staff left Rin and the others single is to accommodate the story: if everyone had significant others and children, they wouldn't be able to commit the same amount of effort and time to the campsite project as they could have otherwise. By leaving everyone single, everyone's able to put in all of their attention to the project on the virtue that their attention doesn't need to go towards their partner or families. It would feel forced and unnatural if any hypothetical significant others had to constantly deal with things being dropped so everyone could work on this project all the time.

Further to this, leaving Rin, Nadeshiko, Chiaki, Aoi and Ena single shows that everyone is putting their careers first. When starting out, things can be tricky, so it is natural if people want to make sure their work settles down before they begin dating and considering starting a family. Being in a relationship isn't a determinant of success, either. I speak from experience: since my career hasn't exactly been smooth, I've not considered a relationship until things stablised. Balancing a relationship on the side would've been a distraction, but at the same time, not being in a relationship hasn't harmed my ability to deliver features, bug fixes and proposals.

What Rin experiences isn't too different than what I've seen when I was working with my previous positions as the sole iOS developer. Things got busy, I put in the hours, and found a way to deliver. There were times where I made mistakes, such as leaving breaking bugs in an app, and I sometimes wondered if I was cut out to be an iOS developer, but with no fewer than six apps developed and delivered to the App Store, I can speak to how difficult moments in work don't necessarily result in a job change or anything of that sort. They're just part of the learning experience, and I'm sure you've seen the same with your work.

Finally, because Chiaki had support from the Yamanashi tourism board, it's not difficult to imagine her simply asking her superiors to create a few new jobs if the site is proving successful from a financial perspective. We recall that at Lake Motosu, their staff wasn't massive, so having a few people staffing the site, plus the occasional bit of volunteering from Rin et al., would be enough to keep things going.
Old 2022-11-30, 07:44   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Let's not kid ourselves, we know damn well the real reason why none of the girls had partners: it would have made otakus angry.
Old 2022-11-30, 09:26   Link #20
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Let's not kid ourselves, we know damn well the real reason why none of the girls had partners: it would have made otakus angry.
Is there substantial evidence to suggest this is the case (i.e. a majority of the viewers for Yuru Camp are of the stereotypical otaku demographic)? I presented my counterarguments because singleness is an invalid criticism and was a design choice to facilitate the story. I would hope that we're not actually saying the characters being single actually impacts the film.

Tags
anime movie, camping, laid-back camp, yuru camp