AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 31 57.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 9.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-14, 16:56   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Then the translation was wrong: the Dominator still calls her an Inspector (監視官).
Yep, I just checked and they screwed up. The subtitles say enforcer even though the dominator screen clearly describes her as an inspector and it calls her that in Japanese.

It's a pretty obvious mistake.
Old 2013-03-14, 17:58   Link #22
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Masaoka was one of the first characters I predicted that would end up kicking the bucket in this series, but even so, his death was heartbreaking to watch. In my opinion, so far, this scene dealt the most emotional impact in P-P. At this stage it's inevitable to feel pity for Ginoza - and how ironic is the fact that he loses his left arm too? I find it interesting how it's often indicated throughout the series that Masaoka and Gino are very alike each other, to the extent that Gino loses the same left arm as his father and Masaoka's last words were about Gino's eyes resembling his during his youth. This might probably bring about Gino's demotion to Enforcer, but then again, I'd like to see a good end for him. That's a lot for one man to go through in such a short period of time...

On the other hand, Akane actually scares me, and even her teammates are concerned for her. I liked the small conversation between Yayoi and Akane while they made their way to the control room, especially the part when Yayoi told her that she looked the most depressed amongst the others, and Akane replied that she has to cling to that 'little hope left.'

Can't wait to see how P-P ends. The way this episode ended suggests that things will take an epic turn during the next one...

Last edited by Allium; 2013-03-14 at 18:29.
Old 2013-03-14, 18:57   Link #23
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Spoiler for irony:
Must.. resist... star wars... references
Old 2013-03-14, 19:34   Link #24
prototype_sky

Wonder if Shougo can still execute his plan, is there like 2 bullets left in that gun? Wouldn't be surprised if Ginoza ends up killing Shougo while Kogami is again stunned by Akane >_>.
Old 2013-03-14, 19:49   Link #25
deadsea

How disappointing is to use explicit deaths to cause sadness and some impact to the viewers.
I was expecting something more interesting and not too obvious.
Old 2013-03-14, 20:15   Link #26
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

So we finally reached the finale. Apparently the two openings that had Akane aiming her Dominator at Kogami was not just symbolism but foreshadowing. My guess is that Ginoza will also try to fight despite his state but I can't tell exactly what will be his objective.
Old 2013-03-14, 20:29   Link #27
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Observations.

Oh hey! Ginzo just ensured his own survival! He just totally destroyed one of his hands. Now he's gonna symbolically become his daddy.

Christ. Tomomi just got the most badass and herioc send off. I think it's pretty safe to say that he is (was ) the strongest of all the enforcers. He fucking demolished Makishima in hand to hand. Only reason Makishima managed to survive was because of the trick with the pipebomb.

I'm not sure we're gonna get a Madoka ending here. The season finale is one episode away, and our main actors are QUITE far out in the boonies with little actual setup of being able to destroy the Sybil system without causing massive devestation to the population. Makes me wonder how they're going to end the series. Will Makishima's plot go through? Or will the heroes persevere and allow the status quo to remain in effect? It'm eagerly waiting for it whatever way it ends though.
Old 2013-03-14, 20:36   Link #28
mistress_kisara

RIP Masaoka..Is Yayoi next? But he fared better in a one-on-one with Makishima than Kougami. And liked Makishima's evil laugh
Old 2013-03-14, 20:40   Link #29
Entravity

Not bad for emotional appeal, better than the last death. Looking forward to how this ends up, but I have to say, it has to be better than this episode.
Old 2013-03-14, 21:15   Link #30
Battler-kun

The characters are rather boring and dull in this show and i don't feel any emotional connection to them.

I am just interested in the outcome the author has chosen for that universe of his.
Old 2013-03-14, 21:21   Link #31
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype_sky View Post
Wonder if Shougo can still execute his plan, is there like 2 bullets left in that gun? Wouldn't be surprised if Ginoza ends up killing Shougo while Kogami is again stunned by Akane >_>.
Huh? You do realize that Kogami has more than six bullets, right? He was practicing how to reload the revolver while in Masaoka's abandoned warehouse. What kind of a (former) law enforcer doesn't carry extra ammunition?
Old 2013-03-14, 21:27   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Simply awesome penultimate episode. What a picture-perfect cliffhanger!

I honestly think that one of Gen's talents as writer doesn't get enough play - The man knows how to do thrilling Hollywood Action Blockbuster-type narratives.

Just spectacularly suspenseful setup for Kougami vs. Makishima vs. Akane, where the stakes are very, very high. And at least two of them must "lose" (if Akane achieves her goals, then Kougami will be denied his long-desired revenge).

I have to agree with Roger. For good or for ill, it's really hard to imagine a believable Madoka-esque ending happening now.

Tomomi had a truly badass send off. The guy really deserves props for being the only person thus far to actually overwhelm Makishima in hand-to-hand combat. I have to admit I found it amusing for the oldest major character to be able to take down the young, fit, and fast Makishima.

One strong theme really permeated through this episode for me.

Makishima's words about how Sibyl Japan eliminates "communities", and causes people to become more isolated from one another, powerfully resonated with me.

And I think we might see the very personification of this argument in Tomomi and Gino.

Tomomi represents old, pre-Sybil Japan. He represents a more old-fashioned way of viewing the world. He talks about things like "a man's pride", and there's a certain quaint sentimentality to Tomomi that really stands out in the world of Psycho-Pass. Tomomi is like a counterpoint to cold, "logical", "rational" Sybil.

Gino represents new Sybil Japan. He represents its firmness, its obedience, its focus on perfect order. A man's pride means less than a man's role, given to him by the Sibyl system. That role is everything, and must be honored, even if it tears down the bond between father and son.

Despite their differences, Tomomi loves his son and would do everything he could to protect him. And while Gino is scornful of the obsolete ways of his father, there is a lingering emotional tie there that cannot be completely denied. In the end, Gino switched from calling Tomomi "Enforcer" to calling him "dad". That was a powerful moment.

If Gino represents Sibyl Japan, and Tomomi pre-Sybil Japan, then I think there are two ways to interpret their scene here. One hopeful, one tragic.

Gino's ability to re-embrace his father in the end shows how Sybil Japan may re-embrace its "father", and become more like the Japan of old.

On the other hand, Gino shouting "It's too late!" could carry the opposite meaning - That Sibyl Japan is simply too far gone. It has lost something beautiful. It has lost it for good. Just like how Gino has lost his father.

The final episode of this anime will not likely be a Madoka end. It might be something even more famous. It might be a Orwell's 1984 end.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - Orwell's 1984.

Might this be updated to "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a brain gradually eroding away humanity - forever."?

That will probably depend on Akane. Her character growth has been fantastic. Truly wondrous to behold. But is it enough for her to win totally?
Old 2013-03-14, 21:41   Link #33
Battler-kun

Gino is actually totally inept for being a high positioned Inspector.
The reason why he has been given this role is the very fact that he is the dog to the system, not the Enforcers.
He will most probably stay a good for nothing until the very end.

Akane's growth of character feels rather unnatural. It's a totally different person than the one in the beginning.

Kogami is also rather useless, when facing Makishima directly. He can track him down, but that's partly wanted by Makishima.
Old 2013-03-14, 22:07   Link #34
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Tomomi had a truly badass send off. The guy really deserves props for being the only person thus far to actually overwhelm Makishima in hand-to-hand combat. I have to admit I found it amusing for the oldest major character to be able to take down the young, fit, and fast Makishima.
Of course Tonomi was able to best him in physical strength. He has a mechanic arm.
Old 2013-03-14, 22:30   Link #35
merakses

Yep, Tomomi was really cool while going against Makishima. Apparently, those cybernetics of his boost a huge amount of power (Makishima was shown to have quite a lot of arm strength - he repeatedly bent and forced Ko's hands out of position during their fight in episode 16, and Ko does seem to be fairly heavier than him. If Tomomi was able to overpower Makishima like that, then he must have an even greater amount of raw physical strength). Also, maybe Maki isn't as proficient with close combat weapons as he is with hand to hand combat.

I also wonder whether Makishima had any other tricks up his sleeve in case the pipe bomb stunt failed. Well, I guess we'll never know.

I think we're going to like the knife fight between Shogo and Shinya in the next episode.

Quote:
'm not sure we're gonna get a Madoka ending here. The season finale is one episode away, and our main actors are QUITE far out in the boonies with little actual setup of being able to destroy the Sybil system without causing massive devestation to the population. Makes me wonder how they're going to end the series. Will Makishima's plot go through? Or will the heroes persevere and allow the status quo to remain in effect? It'm eagerly waiting for it whatever way it ends though.
Quote:
I have to agree with Roger. For good or for ill, it's really hard to imagine a believable Madoka-esque ending happening now.
Thirded. I don't really think that they they can cram defeating Makishima and defeating Sybil all in the last episode without making at least one of the two feel too quick and contrived.
Old 2013-03-14, 22:31   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Of course Tonomi was able to best him in physical strength. He has a mechanic arm.
Makishima took down a completely cybernetic body not that long ago. Yes, he had the element of surprise on his side, but he had that here too.

We shouldn't downplay Tomomi's success here.
Old 2013-03-14, 22:35   Link #37
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
The only time that Tomomi brute forced with the cyborg arm was when Makishima was shooting him with the nailgun, and Tomomi used his arm as a shield. That's less of an overt advantage, so much as leveling the odds. Everything else came down to Tomomi simply outfighting Makishima.

-Tomomi parried Makishima to a stand still when it came to their melee weapons. Makishima tried to disarm Tomomi, but ended up getting disarmed himself.

-Makishima attempts to do a backwards elbow at Tomomi while he's off balance from the disarming attempt. But Tomomi proactively blocks. He uses his cyborg arm, but considering that he blocked Makishima fairly soon into the strike and above the elbow, he wasn't going to be doing much.

-Tomomi rushes in and grabs Makishima from behind. Makishima attempts to flip Tomomi over (and is visibly struggling), but instead Tomomi pulls Makishima to the ground. Tomomi has managed to wrap his non cybernetic arm over Makishima's. Due to the location of the hold, Makishima won't be able to extend his right arm outward.

So no. Tomomi didn't just use cyborg hax brute strength. He literally outfought Makishima fair and square. The only way Makishima had out of that hold was getting Tomomi to willingly let go. Not even with the threat of himself getting exploded or cut up.
Old 2013-03-14, 22:41   Link #38
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

The final episode of this anime will not likely be a Madoka end. It might be something even more famous. It might be a Orwell's 1984 end.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - Orwell's 1984.

Might this be updated to "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a brain gradually eroding away humanity - forever."?

That will probably depend on Akane. Her character growth has been fantastic. Truly wondrous to behold. But is it enough for her to win totally?
There's only one ep left? I thought there would be 23.

And of course, Madoka dealt with nigh-divine powers, so I'm kinda with you there. I don't see how all the problems in this world can be wrapped up in the next episode (or two?), esp. not the effects of a nation under "Sybil withdrawal". And here we thought Butcher had lightened up a bit after Madoka. Will the upcoming movie sequel bascially be "End of Madoka" if you know what I mean? ("Kimochi warui...") Will Gargantia be an even more direct homage to Bokurano (it's got the mecha and war...and kids)?

Speaking of nigh-divine powers, is this Gen's first story driven by minimal supernatural elements? Back a few eps when some people were lamenting how Makishima's escapes looked almost impossible, I was wondering if anyone might think Gen might have some stumbling blocks in writing situations with minimal magic or supernatural elements.

Either way, this anime has been one wild ride, and hopefully it won't get lost in Madoka or Fate/Zero's shadows. Heh, would anyone else wonder if there's sort of an allegory between the oats and Sybil? The Hyper-Oats are a genetically engineered "Frankenfood" which can be easily grown and produced and have made Japan completely self-reliant in food production. Just like how Sybil has turned the Japanese people into docile farm animals and left the nation in its own state of high-tech "Juche". All is well until a powerful "virus" which resists all forms of "pesticides" comes along...
Old 2013-03-14, 22:51   Link #39
deadsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
The characters are rather boring and dull in this show and i don't feel any emotional connection to them.

I am just interested in the outcome the author has chosen for that universe of his.
+10 PP is quite interesting and cool, but it is placed below previous works from urobuchi or maybe I was expecting too much.
Old 2013-03-14, 22:55   Link #40
merakses

Roger's explanation of the fight was fairly accurate. I only want to clarify the last line:

Quote:
Tomomi has managed to wrap his non cybernetic arm over Makishima's. Due to the location of the hold, Makishima won't be able to extend his right arm outward.
Tomomi was trying to get a choke hold on Makishima. That's why Maki put his right hand where it was - in order to prevent that choke hold from happening.

Of course, Tomomi does seem to weigh at least a good 20 kilograms more than Makishima. He had a slight advantage there.
Closed Thread