AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-19, 23:40   Link #1
liquid-metal

Arrow Watching Anime Movies Without Seeing the Series?

I'm planning on watching Trigun: Badlands Rumble in theatres this week. I've never actually seen or heard of the series before.

All I know is from the movie summary + this interesting trailer.

Is this a good idea or am I wasting money on a movie I won't really 'get'?

Thanks!

Last edited by liquid-metal; 2011-06-19 at 23:54.
Old 2011-06-19, 23:47   Link #2
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

From what I can understand, the Trigun movie is set up like the Cowboy Bebop movie in that it would take place somewhere in the last half of the series but before the big finale.

If it is like the Cowboy Bebop movie, then it would be something that is stand-alone in that you could probably enjoy it without having seen the series. Trigun is a good series. Vash the Stampede is a very interesting protagonist.

On anime movies themselves, there are some that you can watch without having seen the series. Escaflowne and Macross: Do You Remember Love? are two anime movies that you can watch without seeing the series since they have a different continuity then the series.

Last edited by AbZeroNow; 2011-06-19 at 23:49. Reason: clarity
Old 2011-06-20, 00:02   Link #3
jedinat

Watch the series first. (why haven't you? It's a great anime) The movie is basically an extra arc that would take place somewhere in the middle of the show. You won't really appreciate it as much not knowing the characters. It's not particularly better or worse than most of the arcs in the TV series, so... watch the TV series?
Old 2011-06-20, 00:08   Link #4
liquid-metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Watch the series first. (why haven't you? It's a great anime) The movie is basically an extra arc that would take place somewhere in the middle of the show. You won't really appreciate it as much not knowing the characters. It's not particularly better or worse than most of the arcs in the TV series, so... watch the TV series?
My bad...didn't Google much anime titles in my teens

Since the movie is playing only one night this week, I'll have to watch the series after it. Hope it good!
Old 2011-06-20, 00:12   Link #5
Echoes

Having seen the series way back when, and the movie recently, I think you'll be alright. It doesn't require any real knowledge, as the plot is pretty much stand-alone. Some details might elude you, but the characters are introduced fairly well, and some of them are movie-exclusive anyway. The only issue I can think of is that you might not "get" all the character dynamics and why they act that way, but it's nothing major enough to dissuade you from enjoying the flick, I would think.

In my opinion, the movie is even better than the series, and definitely worth watching, whether you've seen Trigun or not. (Though there's no reason not to give the classic a chance, too!)