AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-12, 13:50   Link #1121
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
Let's hope that SAO doesn't go beyond hell to a harem ending then. Kirito has hardly shown romantic interest for anyone besides Asuna (good husband). His ambiguous relationship with Sachi hardly matters after her . Kirito desires not a harem.
Haha, some of us here know how the web version of the novels ends. That's all I'll say ~

@haseo0408: Yes, they are. You need to give them time, as they do have lives of their own.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 13:59   Link #1122
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Oh my god, this is one helluva a Light Novel. An ending right at the first book. I think I'll bury myself in the text (CHINESE TRANSLATIONS ARE COMPLETE YAY) for a couple of days... Just need to skip food, water and sleep, oh yeah...
Old 2012-07-12, 14:03   Link #1123
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
Oh my god, this is one helluva a Light Novel. An ending right at the first book. I think I'll bury myself in the text (CHINESE TRANSLATIONS ARE COMPLETE YAY) for a couple of days... Just need to skip food, water and sleep, oh yeah...
Mhm. When you say the Chinese translations are complete, are you referring to the web version or the light novels? And what do you mean by 'complete', exactly? Up to date with where the light novels are? Because so are the English translations, well, except for volume 10 that came out only a few days ago.
Old 2012-07-12, 14:03   Link #1124
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
huh? since when? you talking about vol.10?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 14:22   Link #1125
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Oh damn, I was so excited I didn't really look carefully =.=" sorry. No, it's not up yet, but well, this looks like it's going to take quite some time to read so...

That being said, I COULD read Japanese.

=3

Anyone PM me a link?
Old 2012-07-12, 18:28   Link #1126
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
And Shinon's story about the 4th Bullets of Bullets <BoB> Tournament is quite sketchy also. The fact that her opponent acted like an assassin almost screams out <Laughing Coffin>
Didn't Kirito suggest it's someone from the US Marines logging in and trolling? And mainly using bombs and ambush doesn't quite seem like LC's style, especially when the deaths isn't permanent.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 18:30   Link #1127
sky black swordman

IF I remember right he said the military is using it to train their soldiers .
Old 2012-07-12, 19:30   Link #1128
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Its probably a military man.
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:23   Link #1129
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

He speculated it was either an American special forces operator - specific unit unknown - or a counterterror SWAT cop who was using GGO as a test of sorts for whether you could simulate real world skills and use them for training.

It would make rehearsing for certain ops much, much safer, though at the end of the day there's no substitute for going into a killhouse and putting rounds downrange.

I could definitely see this being used for pilot training, perhaps as a complement (rather than substitute) towards lead in fighter training. If you could get enough AmuSpheres hooked out, you could run some wicked exercises.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 21:46   Link #1130
CNine
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Didn't Kirito suggest it's someone from the US Marines logging in and trolling? And mainly using bombs and ambush doesn't quite seem like LC's style, especially when the deaths isn't permanent.
sattelizer is actually professional soldier for assasination mission.
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 23:32   Link #1131
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Any confirmation on this?

Also, GGO amuses me for two things: 1) The first BoB tourney was won by an American using a Modern Warfare 2 CQC build, who ran around knifing people to death and shooting them with his pistol when that wasn't practical.

2) NANOSUIT ENGAGED. That green line in the HUD that shows where incoming fire is coming from? Totally from Crysis 2. That was one of the most useful upgrades for the Nanosuit ever (though it did have the side effect of turning your HUD into a mess if you were right in the middle of a killbox, lol, hence why my playstyle was more like the Predator and less Rambo or Sam Fisher).

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-13, 05:14   Link #1132
novalysis

I think I am weird for thinking that fairy dance is an arc whose emotional content actually at times closes in and surpasses SOA high points. Indeed, Lyfa/Sughara's breakdown and Asuna's reunion felt even more powerful to me than Red Nose Reindeer.

I suspect, it is in part because volume 3 and 4 are more cohesive than volume 1 and 2. We only see snippets of the kind of healing Kirito had to go through after RNR, and while the Asuna's and Kirito romance plot in volume 1 is stirring stuff, it also feels fragmentary, since we only see a small portion of how they got from a single piece of bread bread in Aria to Chapter 16.5 and Yui and the Heartcliff fight.

I guess part of the problem is that the main volume 1 arc felt quite short, taking place in a single month. Though ALO also takes place over a shorter period of time, it might be because we really see a good chunk of Sughara's thought processes while outside Aria, much of Kirito x Asuna is from Kirito's PoV.

In any case, though Fairy Dance is indeed a rescue/imouto arc, it avoids a lot of the incestuous undertones of other similar stories but rather feels like the confused feelings of a teenager on Sughara side, while Kirito's strong feelings for Asuna intersect to create an explosively complex mix. There is a real feeling and dedication of sibling hood from their relations, a meaningful layer even beyond a potentially incestuous romance, unlike other little sister plots.

Ultimately, I'd say that there's an intersecting element of The love of friendship, family and romance when it comes to love in Kirito's mind. I think we can argue that Kirito feels alone for all his harem,but only the romantic variant of love is reserved for Asuna alone.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 05:26   Link #1133
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Another plus point for Fairy Dance: At the end of the story, Suguha and Kirito take the time to work through and come to terms with their emotional baggage. And then, at the end, Aincrad is brought back to ALO, and the ALO faction war is temporarily placed on hold as everyone joins in the Aincrad clearing party, including the SAO survivors who've returned to VRMMO gaming.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-13, 05:58   Link #1134
novalysis

Ggo, which I'm picking through has a distinct cyberpunkish feel to it that feels more accel world than SOA. Even In the real world in plot, there's the distinct sense of being in the last days of a civilisation becoming slowly less familiar to readers even today.

I skipped ahead and completed volume 9 , and the sense of being in a world that is on the border of a thriller set in a modern world and a full blown sic fi is there.
Old 2012-07-13, 06:00   Link #1135
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Another plus point for Fairy Dance: At the end of the story, Suguha and Kirito take the time to work through and come to terms with their emotional baggage. And then, at the end, Aincrad is brought back to ALO, and the ALO faction war is temporarily placed on hold as everyone joins in the Aincrad clearing party, including the SAO survivors who've returned to VRMMO gaming.
Yeah, I like Fairy Dance. Especially the way Kirito is rushing to the world tree. The sense of urgency is really well written there.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 06:17   Link #1136
Ray
Garnet

Just thought I'd say that's good there are so many like-minded people here; it means I don't have to post as often. *shrug*
Old 2012-07-13, 07:06   Link #1137
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Yeah, at times while reading ALO I kinda felt sad for Suguha knowing how deep the bond formed between Kirito and Asuna in SAO. Still I usually go and ship Lyfa with Recon anyways so it all works out in the end.

Also...is it Saturday yet?

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 07:49   Link #1138
novalysis

I skipped ahead from halfway, and read the end of GGO, since TVtropes spoiled me to hell. The author is seriously a genius at writing stirring emotional climaxes. Just look at Red Nose Reindeer, the end of Volume 1, the End of ALO- Volume 4, and now the end of GGO, which was as good as any of the other emotional climaxes of Sword Art online. Even Calibur had a feel good factor at the end of the story.
Old 2012-07-13, 08:49   Link #1139
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
Huh? All of the arcs have been life-or-death situations in some sense. That's at least so for Kirito.
I wasn't referring to life-and-death in the context of risk, but rather of how the situation gave birth to the plot at that point of time.

Ultimately, SAO was a 2-year nightmare for 10,000 people, with thousands of deaths and lives forever distorted, for good & bad.

In terms of 'grand scale storytelling', it's definitely hard to top that kind of setting as well the effects/subsequent sub-plots that can be built from something like that. In fact, it's only natural to want to built the root of subsequent, more 'personal' stories from there, because SAO as a story-arc, addressed very limited pieces of individual character stories. ( well, it was pretty short )

I hate to say this, but there is definitely a degree of perception-distortion-field for the stories that occur after SAO, because in some ways, it felt as if Kirito and co. had been through much much worse, and what they're facing in successive stories 'can't compare.'

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 09:06   Link #1140
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
In terms of 'grand scale storytelling', it's definitely hard to top that kind of setting as well the effects/subsequent sub-plots that can be built from something like that. In fact, it's only natural to want to built the root of subsequent, more 'personal' stories from there, because SAO as a story-arc, addressed very limited pieces of individual character stories. ( well, it was pretty short )

I hate to say this, but there is definitely a degree of perception-distortion-field for the stories that occur after SAO, because in some ways, it felt as if Kirito and co. had been through much much worse, and what they're facing in successive stories 'can't compare.'
I think it's a matter of perspective. I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree; it's as you said, the Aincrad arc is difficult to beat in terms of 'grand scale story telling', but does it really have to be beaten by the other arcs for them to be more enjoyable? Continuity is an enjoyable aspect on it's own. And of course, it depends on what the reader considers 'grand scale story telling' to encompass.

And even if they've been through much worse, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get through their next obstacles and dilemmas scot-free, as those obstacles and dilemmas could very well be their breaking point(s).

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality