Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-09-02, 22:37   Link #3221
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, youkai is evil, while it's depend on the situation with oni.

So that is according to Japanese mythology? What about in anime and manga? I swear I've seen some youkai characters that aren't evil. If I recall correctly, some are just mischievous, while some are rather good.
Old 2013-09-02, 22:42   Link #3222
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

What I say is according to the myth. And in Anime... You know, if they could made Magical Loli into hideous witch, then what could stop them from making youkai good?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 23:23   Link #3223
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
What I say is according to the myth. And in Anime... You know, if they could made Magical Loli into hideous witch, then what could stop them from making youkai good?
what are you talking about...do you know how large an encompassing term "youkai" is?
Old 2013-09-02, 23:26   Link #3224
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I see oni and youkai in anime and manga. What is the difference between oni and youkai? Oni are malicious spirits, right? Are all oni malicious?
Youkai means monster and Oni is a sort of Youkai.Generally Oni is described as horned human.
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 00:04   Link #3225
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Yōkai (妖怪) - strange creature

Oni (鬼) - Ghost

Yūrei (幽霊) - Spirit

These are the literal translations of the kanji. There are all manners of Youkai, from Mischievous to Malicious. Oni are those creatures you see in the Hell paintings tormenting human souls.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-09-03 at 00:16.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 01:15   Link #3226
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
You might want to actually research it first.
Youkai are both feared and worshiped by the locals traditionally.
They are not evil, they are harmful to humans, but also revered as apparitions of supernatural phenomenons.

We do not view them as evil demons, but rather, closer to how shamanism view how unreasonable manifestation of nature itself can be.
In some tales, heroic figures will slay a youkai, in other tales, the youkai will teach a valuable lesson to humble the humanity.

Oni is a more specific type of monster, more often violent and terrifying.
They are closer to the image of demons, but not necessarily evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yōkai (妖怪) - strange creature

Oni (鬼) - Ghost

Yūrei (幽霊) - Spirit

These are the literal translations of the kanji. There are all manners of Youkai, from Mischievous to Malicious. Oni are those creatures you see in the Hell paintings tormenting human souls.
No, those are Chinese definitions.
Oni does not mean ghosts, Yurei does.
Just "rei" itself is spirits, and Oni is a more specific creature than generic "ghost".
The letters were adapted from Chinese characters, but applied to Japanese folklore, and therefore the meanings changed.
(Which is natural, considering the writing form is a lend-word)

Also, Oni isn't technically a youkai - it's a much higher form of demi-gods. Violent, and vengeful, some gods are called "Kishin" - literally Oni-gods.
Powerful, judgmental, and violent gods are called these - for example, India's Kali would be considered a Kishin - oni-god (dess).
Old 2013-09-03, 07:55   Link #3227
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Right, youkai aren't "evil" or "good" in any Western sense. They simply have their own agenda which may or may not parallel with any human agenda. Oni are punishing demi-gods, more like angry god of wrath types.

Japanese religious faiths include Shinto and Buddhism, the latter separated into several major "schools of thought". The two belief systems (I find it hard to call them "religions" since that invokes too much Western misinterpretation). have intertwined and tossed different pieces back and forth enough that Japanese Buddhism has its very own flavor compared to Indonesian or Tibetan flavors.

Shinto is the indigenous animist folk religion (though the Japanese Imperial state has repeatedly tried to co-opt/hijack it for nationalistic reasons over the centuries). At its simplest, it's a respect for nature with innumerable little forces or spirits to be placated or respected. I also avoid the term "worship" and "gods" ... again because that invites Western misinterpretation.

Google has truckloads of information on Shinto and Japanese Buddhism, much of it poorly worded but so it goes --
http://www.world-religions-professor...tobeliefs.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2056.html
http://www.tsubakishrine.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto_shrine

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-09-03 at 08:08.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 13:44   Link #3228
Sumeragi
Banned

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 13:54   Link #3229
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ the wasabi's tip is nice. breath through the nose, huh? i'm going to try that
tip with jalapeno as well and see if it works. not really a fan of hot spicy stuffs,
but often time i accidentally eat them anyways.

Sushi! gotta eat them all!
Old 2013-09-03, 15:23   Link #3230
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Dunno, Wasabi is more the mustard/radish kind of spicy, which really burns in the nose just by breathing in some flavors.
I usually try to not get the nose involved at all, because that could backfire horribly.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 15:46   Link #3231
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
^ the wasabi's tip is nice. breath through the nose, huh? i'm going to try that
tip with jalapeno as well and see if it works. not really a fan of hot spicy stuffs,
but often time i accidentally eat them anyways.

Sushi! gotta eat them all!
That tip is really effective, I call it my cheat to wasabi. My friends always praise me of my tolerance to wasabi's spicy power, and despite that, it seems that I'm making it like a toothpaste when I eat something worth for a wasabi deep. The technique to endure is that trick. You will not feel the hotness, really.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 16:50   Link #3232
Puddingman

>_> I wish I knew that wasabi tip earlier..

One day at college, I got wasabi stuck in the corner of my mouth..in public...the only means to get it out was with my tongue. It was an adventure >_<
Old 2013-09-08, 20:51   Link #3233
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@Chaos: What Aohige wrote... though it's way more complicated, but should one oversimplify he is more or less right.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 08:35   Link #3234
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Could anyone tell me where to get information on basic Kendo terminology?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 17:42   Link #3235
AnimeFan188

The gaijin gamer’s guide to Tokyo’s thriving arcades:

"In the United States, the once-proud pastime of hanging out at a seedy arcade has
largely fallen into the dustbin of history (despite a somewhat recent comeback). But
there is a land where the arcade never died but evolved and thrived over the last
20 years. It's a land where massive arcade complexes rise seven stories into the air
on consecutive street corners, where new mech games featuring giant Internet-
connect pods with wraparound projection screens are common, where rhythm
games are still as popular as ever.

I'm speaking, of course, of Japan, and I used the opportunity of my first Tokyo Game
Show to check out the famously vibrant arcade culture I had heard so much about
over the years. While many locations frowned on taking pictures (and the lighting
was generally atrocious in most places), I put together this visual guide to try and
capture the feeling of being in a land where the arcade never died."

See:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...iving-arcades/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 13:10   Link #3236
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
The gaijin gamer’s guide to Tokyo’s thriving arcades:

"In the United States, the once-proud pastime of hanging out at a seedy arcade has
largely fallen into the dustbin of history (despite a somewhat recent comeback). But
there is a land where the arcade never died but evolved and thrived over the last
20 years. It's a land where massive arcade complexes rise seven stories into the air
on consecutive street corners, where new mech games featuring giant Internet-
connect pods with wraparound projection screens are common, where rhythm
games are still as popular as ever.

I'm speaking, of course, of Japan, and I used the opportunity of my first Tokyo Game
Show to check out the famously vibrant arcade culture I had heard so much about
over the years. While many locations frowned on taking pictures (and the lighting
was generally atrocious in most places), I put together this visual guide to try and
capture the feeling of being in a land where the arcade never died."

See:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...iving-arcades/
I never thought that Japan allow people to smoke in some places airconditioned (assuming that this place is airconditioned).
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 13:20   Link #3237
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I never thought that Japan allow people to smoke in some places airconditioned (assuming that this place is airconditioned).
As long as there is proper ventilation and the air conditioners filters are inspected and changed regularly it not a problem.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 12:00   Link #3238
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Monday, October 13th was celebrated as "Sports Day" in Japan, and apparently it is an important enough holiday that the Stock Exchange was closed. How is Sports Day celebrated? Here in the US today we celebrate Columbus Day. Some Italian-Americans observe this event, but for most of us it is an excuse to have an October holiday. Here in New England where I live we observe Columbus Day by looking at autumn foliage.

If you want to know the real story behind Columbus I recommend listening to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXmCIFKRrTY
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 15:50   Link #3239
Sumeragi
Banned

It's Health-Sports Day, promoting sports and physical and mental health.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 22:49   Link #3240
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It's Health-Sports Day, promoting sports and physical and mental health.
Please don't be offended. The first Google result is this page. For some reason the designer has chosen a very narrow box for the holiday information so it reads only "Sports Day."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture