AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-05-27, 18:03   Link #41
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Considering that they're working toward the tournament in grade school, I can't imagine them skipping forward quite yet at the least.

I'm still confused by Daigo's contempt for woman players. I could understand it with some, if we were talking about a skilled player who hadn't seen skilled girls before, but Daigo is, as Hikaru's father said, just about as bad as you can get, and his sister was the ACE of the team he's on until she made it into junior high. He has no business thinking girls can't play. It's not even just a contemptible character flaw that needs to be overcome, it's a nonsensical one.

On a different note, do they really have windows low enough like that in the baths, and is it actually common for a girl naked in the bath to open a window that's not high enough to hide her chest? I mean, sure, she didn't expect Daigo to be practicing his swings right there, but it's hardly uncommon for there to be two-story houses, meaning that she's going on an honor system that any neighbor won't look out and notice a naked girl standing at an open window.

Anyway, nice to see that Daigo's contributing to his team now. Maybe not much in terms of direct performance, but his orders really tie the defense together; already showing his potential for the catcher position.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-27, 20:12   Link #42
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Those windows do seem to be common in bathrooms here, yes. It's also not a society that's nearly as nudity-taboo obsessed as the U.S., especially where siblings are concerned.

I think the thing with Daigo comes down to familiarity. He knows in abstract that girls play baseball, sure - that his mom played with his dad in little league, that his sister is a good player. But he doesn't seem to have ever actually played on the same team as a girl. He surely never saw his mother play (until her disastrous coaching session) and he may never have seen his sister play either. For little kids the world is often as small as the limits of their personal experience.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 12:31   Link #43
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Man the coach is useless. Being pushed around by the star player, not seeing his team morale is going down, and knowing the team's weaknesses it still doesn't look like there as any improvement. Then again, it's a little leaguer coach, so I guess we can't expect much from him.

But oh boy, is that Sakura's love rival so early? I'm pretty sure if my memory didn't fail me that Kaoru's love rival didn't appear till high school, but I'm not complaining since it sets them up meeting all before middle school. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 14:37   Link #44
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
But oh boy, is that Sakura's love rival so early? I'm pretty sure if my memory didn't fail me that Kaoru's love rival didn't appear till high school, but I'm not complaining since it sets them up meeting all before middle school. XD

Kaoru's only love rival was baseball... or Goro's stupidity
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-28, 22:21   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Man the coach is useless. Being pushed around by the star player, not seeing his team morale is going down, and knowing the team's weaknesses it still doesn't look like there as any improvement. Then again, it's a little leaguer coach, so I guess we can't expect much from him.
I agree he's useless, but not all LL coaches are. Andou-san, the old coach, was awesome (and still is).
Old 2018-06-09, 20:23   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Man, it’s like series like Major are in different universes in the West and Japan. Here it’s a pretty big deal but in English, it may as well not exist.

Another phenomenal episode. Kids sports anime in all its agony and ecstasy.
Old 2018-06-09, 22:32   Link #47
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I finally started watching it last week after letting it grow mold in my back burner. The adaptation is as good, or better than what I remember from the manga. Like you have mentioned, Daigo is a very different protagonist from Goro, however I feel myself rooting more with Daigo so it works out. He has to work on his self confidence but it doesn't make me want to punch him like Mihashi (Ookiku Furikabutte). Good balance.

As for the coach, I would have expected Tashiro to be more assertive given how snarky he was back in high school, but I guess he was all bark and no bite. I guess they need to make a hole in the team that Daigo feels more comfortable filling given where he stands right now, but they could make it a little less contrived.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-10, 03:17   Link #48
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Man, it’s like series like Major are in different universes in the West and Japan. Here it’s a pretty big deal but in English, it may as well not exist.
Well, the important thing is that it is popular in Japan, since that's what will decide if we have more seasons or not
Old 2018-06-19, 05:39   Link #49
Ulin

Done with episode 10, I thought that Urabe and Andy (specially Urabe) couldn't be more jerks, but I was wrong... when I was going to see the flashback with the reasons why they joined the Dolphins I thought "ok, now it's when we learn why they want to win and I can see their characters under a new light..." Sadly, I was completely wrong.

So Urabe joined the Dolphins because he couldn't be the ace in a better team... sorry, but I just hate this character more than I thought... I'm really looking forward to when Daigo (with Hikaru's help possibly) shut their traps. (although I guess that won't be the next episode, looking at its title )

One thing I don't like about Daigo is how he focus in his own mistakes, when the whole team is making them, which Toshi remarked very well, everyone at this age makes many mistakes.
Old 2018-06-19, 16:33   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
Done with episode 10
One thing I don't like about Daigo is how he focus in his own mistakes, when the whole team is making them, which Toshi remarked very well, everyone at this age makes many mistakes.
Because 12 year-olds are well known for... perspective?
Old 2018-07-16, 13:16   Link #51
Ulin

I'm still one episode behind but... what happened to Komori? He's just so old... almost as much as Daigo's grandparents

Who's the girl with Mutsuko in the new ending? Maybe Gibson's granddaugther? Just because of her being blonde

I really hope Mutsuko makes a good role in the comeback I really like her character (I guess HanaKana is at fault in this too lol)
Old 2018-09-23, 18:48   Link #52
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just a word of praise for Major 2nd since it ended, almost totally ignored. A great season, probably the best since the Kasai Kenichi S1. Here's hoping the anime business hasn't changed so much that we don't get a sequel.
Old 2018-09-23, 19:05   Link #53
BWTraveller
Born to ship

While it may have been ignored on the forum and I can't be sure how many watched it, I can at least say that I followed it through to the end and loved it. And indeed I too am hoping this will wind up like its predecessor and in half a year or so we'll get a second season.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 21:46   Link #54
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
I never watched or read any of the original major, but I really enjoyed this season. Although it felt at times like being Daigo is suffering. xD

One question though. The episode mentioned that Goro messed up his right shoulder, and in that end scene when Goro is playing catch with Daigo we get an overlay of his evolution, where it also looks like he switched from right handed pitching to left. I'm guessing that happened after he hurt his right shoulder?
Old 2018-09-23, 22:27   Link #55
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I never watched or read any of the original major, but I really enjoyed this season. Although it felt at times like being Daigo is suffering. xD

One question though. The episode mentioned that Goro messed up his right shoulder, and in that end scene when Goro is playing catch with Daigo we get an overlay of his evolution, where it also looks like he switched from right handed pitching to left. I'm guessing that happened after he hurt his right shoulder?
Long story short...

Spoiler for Various Major spoilers:
Old 2018-09-23, 22:33   Link #56
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Long story short...

Spoiler for Various Major spoilers:
Thanks for the backstory!
Old 2018-09-25, 03:36   Link #57
ditn

i really liked major 2nd very good, heres hoping for more.

@cloudedmind if youliked this then you should for sure watch major
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-29, 19:30   Link #58
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditn View Post
i really liked major 2nd very good, heres hoping for more.

@cloudedmind if youliked this then you should for sure watch major
Hopefully one day I can get around to watching it or reading the manga.
Old 2020-10-18, 09:37   Link #59
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So sad there were so few comments in this thread.

So I marathoned this series over the past few days. I have to say I found Daigo pretty hard-to-take in the early episodes when all he did was whine about why he hated baseball. He grew a lot in the story and become much more likeable as a result.

I will say I thought the closing episodes were something of an indictment of the way Japan handles mental illness. No one suggests that Daigo should meet with a therapist specializing in grief issues while he remains depressed for over two months. Instead we're left to believe helping their son cope with the enormous grief and sense of self-loathing he felt after the accident is something that parents are supposed to handle. Parents can help their kids in many ways, but sometimes you need professional help.

I'd say my favorite character overall was Andy. He was just so calm and insightful, especially when managing Urabe, but in other situations as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-18, 12:29   Link #60
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It is a good series! Specially interesting is that unlike other 'previous season protagonist's kids' stories, the new characters aren't carbon copies or a mashup of other characters, but their own persons. And this is reflected in the series being very tonally different

The second season is ongoing and as strong as ever
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, sports