AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-30, 23:17   Link #23221
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force is mainly a toothless lion.
It just needs the greenlight to put in "offensive" weaponry like cruise missiles and it'll be pound for pound superior to any navy except the USN
Old 2012-08-31, 08:53   Link #23222
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Tsunami Warning as 7.9 quake east off of Samar island in the Philippines.

Hit just about 30min ago.

Felt a bit of the shakes here in my room. A friend in Bicol province said his TV shook and my brother currently vacationing in the southern island of Mindanao felt it too.
Old 2012-08-31, 09:40   Link #23223
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

Felt a bit of the shakes here in my room. A friend in Bicol province said his TV shook and my brother currently vacationing in the southern island of Mindanao felt it too.
Didn't felt it here at home, but my former teamleader did at her apartment.
Old 2012-08-31, 13:44   Link #23224
flying ^

DISCARD whatever you think you knew about or who caused the the Great '08 Financial Crisis !

This revolutionary finding from a respected institute will leave you... breathless

There can only be one to blame...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48814165
Old 2012-08-31, 13:54   Link #23225
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
DISCARD whatever you think you knew about or who caused the the Great '08 Financial Crisis !

This revolutionary finding from a respected institute will leave you... breathless

The writer needs a mentor from NYSE instead of just some bookish professor from another of those business schools to teach him about world economics.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-08-31, 14:38   Link #23226
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

I heard about it from TV when I'm about to sleep.... Too bad I'm Mindanao... (or maybe there was ....but I was busy in posting /reading in ANIMESUKI)....but it doesn't mean there aren't earthquakes here... lolss
Old 2012-08-31, 14:59   Link #23227
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post

That is .... simplistic is a nice way to say it. Its almost like saying the person who invented money caused the crisis. In a real textured world with multiple vectors - there's a fair pile of greed that swirled together to cause the storm and it is still centered on bankers and speculators in Wall Street and other markets.

I think the comments on the article are useful reading and another minus 50 points for the news reporter not linking to the article. In fact, I found 7 or 8 articles that were just rehacks of this article - none pointed to the study.

The author is Heleen Mees, assistant professor of economics at Tilburg University.

Here is an actual link to the study's summary:
http://www.erim.eur.nl/ERIM/events/E...?event_id=2729

Quote:
This dissertation includes five academic papers that – one way or the other – all relate to China. The first paper delivers proof for the central thesis of this thesis, which is that China’s boom caused the 2008 financial crisis and ensuing recession. As much as I hoped from the outset to find evidence that China’s leadership purposely flooded global financial markets with cheap money, I have concluded on the basis of my research that the Chinese have more prosaic reasons to save more than half of their national income, and hold it overwhelmingly in the form of bank deposits, driving down global interest rates. The second paper explains why Chinese households save about 30 percent of household income. The third paper shows that individuals in China are susceptible to money illusion, albeit to a lesser extent than their American counterparts. On the basis of financial markets’ response to Chinese GDP figures we have found no evidence, in paper 4, that China’s National Bureau of Statistics ‘cooks the books.’ Last and also least, in paper 5 we show that China’s Q2, Q3 and Q4 GDP numbers are rather predictable because quarterly GDP is reported cumulatively.
The CNBC reporter wrote a sensationalistic piece.. imagine. The author of the study herself was *HOPING* to find tinfoil hat manipulation by the Chinese ... but instead found that "o gods how evil" the Chinese people are better about saving money. That money gave banks more money to lend and Wall Streeters more money to package ... and here we are back at the banksters and Wall Street who had manipulated the laws to deregulate themselves from oversight.
Old 2012-08-31, 15:30   Link #23228
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't know why it should even matter. The Chinese can save however much they want. It's their right. Banks should still look at the environment and avoid taking chances with their clients' money. It's their job. Unless he can prove the Chinese banks used those savings to hire mafia goons to force the American bankers to make foolish loans, it changes nothing.
Old 2012-08-31, 15:42   Link #23229
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That is .... simplistic is a nice way to say it. Its almost like saying the person who invented money caused the crisis. In a real textured world with multiple vectors - there's a fair pile of greed that swirled together to cause the storm and it is still centered on bankers and speculators in Wall Street and other markets.

I think the comments on the article are useful reading and another minus 50 points for the news reporter not linking to the article. In fact, I found 7 or 8 articles that were just rehacks of this article - none pointed to the study.

The author is Heleen Mees, assistant professor of economics at Tilburg University.

Here is an actual link to the study's summary:
http://www.erim.eur.nl/ERIM/events/E...?event_id=2729

The CNBC reporter wrote a sensationalistic piece.. imagine. The author of the study herself was *HOPING* to find tinfoil hat manipulation by the Chinese ... but instead found that "o gods how evil" the Chinese people are better about saving money. That money gave banks more money to lend and Wall Streeters more money to package ... and here we are back at the banksters and Wall Street who had manipulated the laws to deregulate themselves from oversight.
She didn't find Tinfoil hat wearing Chinese Manipulators but she will find plenty of Tinfoil hat wearing people in the US ready to blame the Chinese for saving too much money,
Old 2012-08-31, 17:06   Link #23230
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
[...]

Indeed. Mees has been very clumsy in formulating a conclusion and title, and the journalist kind of made things worse. The following is Mees' key insight and I can't really argue with it without checking the data myself. It's quite possible.

Quote:
"We show that the Fed’’s easy monetary policy did not trigger so much the housing boom, as asserted by John Taylor, but rather the refinancing boom and ensuing spending spree. Contrary to popular belief, the housing boom had little to do with the proliferation of exotic mortgage products. The decline in long-term interest rates accounts mostly for the housing boom."
Chinese excess savings lead to an increased demand for US bonds which lowered money market interest rates which in turn fueled the US housing boom. Okay so far.

That does not explain why the global financial system get's taken down by one local market crash. Busts happen all over the globe quite regularly. Deregulation connected all the banks, excessive risk taking by plain old greed by the same financial institutions caused the contagion and the global crisis.

Mees should have left it at Chinese savings triggered the US housing boom, not Chinese savings caused the financial crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't know why it should even matter. The Chinese can save however much they want. It's their right. Banks should still look at the environment and avoid taking chances with their clients' money. It's their job. Unless he can prove the Chinese banks used those savings to hire mafia goons to force the American bankers to make foolish loans, it changes nothing.
It's not about right or wrong. Total savings in an economy can be too high from a macro economic point of view. That should affect monetary policy so it's a legitimate object of study.
Old 2012-08-31, 17:33   Link #23231
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The Chinese have been manipulating things, just not in the way that article said. The Chinese government has been buying large amounts of American Debt in order to control it's own currency, I think they were influenced by the Asian Financial Crisis. Basically, the Chinese government buys massive amounts of American bonds, which keeps American interest rates low, which mean the US government spends more(and taxes less), which means the populace can buy more cheap Chinese goods, which means the Chinese government gets more money to pour into American bonds which means...

Basically, it's a bit like the Asian Financial Crisis, but in reverse. China bought American bonds in order to prevent a bubble from forming in it's own economy due to the influx of new money(and also to keep their currency undervalued). Inadvertently, they may have helped inflate the American property bubble.

Of course, there's signs of China having a property bubble all on it's own...
Old 2012-08-31, 19:15   Link #23232
sa547
*Author

^
Like that abandoned Disneyland clone and the world's largest empty mall.
Old 2012-08-31, 20:13   Link #23233
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Tokyo Court Hands Win to Samsung Over Apple

Rather a different outcome than the $1 billion finding against Samsung in the States. Of course, having a jury decide on patent disputes in a courtroom a few miles away from Apple's headquarters in Cupertino couldn't possibly have anything to do with that ruling. I suspect Samsung may have better success on appeal. Apparently the judge in this case would not allow the admission of variety of evidence submitted by Samsung's attorneys including scenes from Kubrick's 2001 as prior art. Can you really imagine a jury of ordinary people evaluating a set of complex, detailed patent disputes with thousands of pages of filings in just three days? They even upheld the rounded-corners claim.

As the article at the top says, the US approach to software patents is largely out-of-step with the rest of the world.

I found it interesting that Samsung is just the fifth largest seller of smart phones in Japan, behind Sharp, Fujitsu, and Sony, and the iPhone, of course. It wouldn't have anything to do with Samsung being Korean, would it? Nah, didn't think so.

Meanwhile Apple's decision to ban an app from the AppStore that maps the location of American drone strikes in Pakistan is raising some eyebrows.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-31 at 20:33.
Old 2012-09-01, 01:54   Link #23234
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Either way, the majority would have rather seen Samsung win over apple. The reason Apple won in US ruling, was expected from the getgo. I have to say it was pretty stupid lawsuit, suing over a geometric shape.
Old 2012-09-01, 03:29   Link #23235
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I found it interesting that Samsung is just the fifth largest seller of smart phones in Japan, behind Sharp, Fujitsu, and Sony, and the iPhone, of course. It wouldn't have anything to do with Samsung being Korean, would it? Nah, didn't think so.
I don't actually know, but I'd speculate that it probably has more to do with Japan's highly insular cellphone market more than anything. Local manufacturers and network carriers have strong business links, and once the iPhone broke in out of sheer Apple star power and led the smartphone revolution, they simply adapted. The networks were also already well connected to the internet so the transition shouldn't have been too hard; their customers were used to cellphones with internet access long before the rest of the world (though rather primitive in comparison to modern iPhones and Androids).

Samsung wouldn't have had time to play the "smartphone pioneer" and win market share that way.

Though of course as usual the local powerhouses still couldn't break out of their national market. I'm even a little nostalgic of the time when we all wondered why Japan couldn't export their magic infrared clam phones to the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy
I have to say it was pretty stupid lawsuit, suing over a geometric shape.
But we must reward innovation!!
Old 2012-09-01, 07:59   Link #23236
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Abuse allegations mount against flagship Afghan police force
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87T02920120830
Old 2012-09-01, 12:55   Link #23237
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The annual Burning Man art festival in the US is underway... a light news minute:

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures...USRTR378WX#a=1

For those who don't know, a lot of silliness but occasional gems of brilliance.
Old 2012-09-01, 18:28   Link #23238
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
BERLIN — The German manufacturer of a notorious drug that caused thousands of babies to be born with shortened arms and legs, or no limbs at all, issued its first ever apology Friday — 50 years after pulling the drug off the market. Gruenenthal Group’s chief executive said the company wanted to apologize to mothers who took the drug during the 1950s and 1960s and to their children who suffered congenital birth defects as a result.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...00b_story.html
so big of them to apologize after ONLY 50 yrs.

I remember looking at photos of the babies affect by this drug in bio class

the only reason it didn't affect the US was because the FDA rejected the drug for insufficient testing. Of curse following the free market ideal of the Republicans, the FDA was wrong in rejecting this drug and should have let the free market deal with it.
Old 2012-09-01, 18:37   Link #23239
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran to hold major air defense drill: commander
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88004420120901
Old 2012-09-02, 17:45   Link #23240
AnimeFan188

Fugitive co-founder of Pirate Bay detained in Cambodia:

"The co-founder of a controversial file-sharing website, Pirate Bay's Gottfrid
Svartholm Warg, has been detained in Cambodia after skipping out on a one-year
prison sentence in Sweden, according to reports from Phnom Penh."

See: