AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-10-18, 23:25   Link #61
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Well, my mom thinks that anime is too 'mature' for me... It's usually rated 14+ and I am above 14...

On the other hand, my dad used to be a die hard Gundam and Final Fantasy fan, so it's cool xD.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 12:27   Link #62
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Sounds like the reason lots of people get harassed is because they're in a high school full of kids. The Anime Club booth at my university's start of the year fair stood out with it's scrolls hanging down from the tent rods and all, but it being there was just as mundane as any other stall.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 00:06   Link #63
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Hmm, I dont know if I've ever really been 'discriminated agianst' per say... but then again I usually don't go around wearing anime goods, or have anime goods at work (I do have pictures of my sensei and a few of my fellow iaidoka practitioners at work (it's a japanese martial art, if your unfamilar), which does get a few questions that HAVE rotated around to anime... one such experience was when we had a business exchange with a Japanese Highschool Student... who happened to be an extreme higurashi fan... but anyhow back on track..) .. so I guess it is only those who know me on a more personal level (ie they've been in my house) or that I socalize online with that really know ... mostly because it is true, I've found a lot of misconception... generally around here anime = cartoons = "kid's stuff" ... and that's not the image you want to have someone project when your acting as a member of the management of a manufacturing site, and are one of the two extrenal interfaces to governmental regulatory agencies. Although I'll admit some stupid japanese phrases have started appearing my normal speach when I am not thinking about it.

But I guess I've gone through some-what of a cycle... when I watched some of those shows when I was really young, I told no one.... mostly because of some of the shows that I did watch.. ... then in college, I guess I was more vocal... but then I was also dragged into an "anime club" to some degree... and now I'm kinda more repressed... I guess mostly because explaining what type of shows I like to people who dont understand is just ... difficult at best.

I guess I've had a circumstance almost like yours... I like to go to a sushi / japanese resturant (it's actually fairly authentic ... owned by japanese, about the size of a the resturants in Japan that I know ... etc) ... and often when I go I wear my geta ... because I just like them (having to wear full steel-toe, shank shoes 9 or so hours a day makes you enjoy such tihngs)... and occasionally some of the Japanese patrons talk to me, and some of them do get weird if I say "anime is what got me interested in the language" ... most of the time I stick with "iaido" .. its just easier (although not technically the truth).

As for otaku... i neither like or hate the term, I guess... depends on how or who is using it.

But I am fairly lucky, I have several close friends that do also enjoy anime ... so all in all I can't complain all that much.
todkapuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 17:56   Link #64
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

You know, it's pretty much true that most other people than a teenager or younger has "outgrown" anime. It's construed as being a "creepy manchild".

Which is also true. There are a ton of creepy manchildren that like anime that I absofuckinglutely CANNOT STAND.

Look, anyone who has a hobby and is completely engrossed in it is as boring as fuck. And very awkward to be around.

I don't talk about anime to people. Maybe I will if someone asks someday by chance (I certainly don't wear anime shit or do anything anime related - power level surpression.)

-
You like model trains? Great.
Let's talk about something else.

*then he goes into a rant about the finish used on model trains or something*

(God, will this guy shut up about trains already?)
-

Replace model trains with anime, rockclimbing, jogging, pretty much anything.
I love doing lots of things with different people and I don't feel like alienating them by talking only about one thing.
So I talk about things THEY'RE interested in. There's way too many people who never grew out of the stage in their childhood where they tell everyone what they like. They never learned to be considerate of others, they just throw verbal diarrhea everywhere about a single subject and everyone hates them for it.

Last edited by Ryougi Shiki; 2008-10-23 at 14:51.
Ryougi Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 22:06   Link #65
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
You know, it's pretty much true that anyone older than a teenager has "outgrown" anime. It's construed as being a "creepy manchild".

Which is also true. There are a ton of creepy manchildren that like anime that I absofuckinglutely CANNOT STAND.

Look, anyone who has a hobby and is completely engrossed in it is as boring as fuck. And very awkward to be around.

I don't talk about anime to people. Maybe I will if someone asks someday by chance (I certainly don't wear anime shit or do anything anime related - power level surpression.)

-

-

I love doing lots of things with different people and I don't feel like alienating them by talking only about one thing.
So I talk about things THEY'RE interested in. There's way too many people who never grew out of the stage in their childhood where they tell everyone what they like. They never learned to be considerate of others, they just throw verbal diarrhea everywhere about a single subject and everyone hates them for it.
Dude. I love you. I honestly can't agree more.
Old 2008-10-23, 07:11   Link #66
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
You know, it's pretty much true that anyone older than a teenager has "outgrown" anime. It's construed as being a "creepy manchild".

-

-

Well, I don't know. Meaningful discussion can bring something new to the table. Of course, I talk about anime to those who are interested in them already. If they're somewhat skeptical, I don't go in with a hammer.
Old 2008-10-23, 13:24   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
You know, it's pretty much true that most other people than a teenager has "outgrown" anime. It's construed as being a "creepy manchild".
You can only say that's true for your perception (which makes you prejudiced in that respect). You aren't in a position nor have any basis to make that sweeping assertion about all or most anime fans older than 20.

There are some fans that meet that description though... and some hobbyists are obsessive and don't realize they're even annoying to other hobbyists. Just not all or even most.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-23 at 16:42. Reason: ... nothing really changed there...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 13:57   Link #68
LeviathanDarkly
ℳℴℯ❤

Quote:

I don't see myself as a "creepy manchild". No one has ever labelme like that, and from talking to anime fans that are older then 18 on the internet, I can tell most of them aren't childish.
Being childish is a matter of personality and calture rather then a hobby or interest.
LeviathanDarkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:06   Link #69
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanDarkly View Post
I don't see myself as a "creepy manchild". No one has ever labelme like that, and from talking to anime fans that are older then 18 on the internet, I can tell most of them aren't childish.
Being childish is a matter of personality and calture rather then a hobby or interest.
LOL. I also don't think I have ever heard or ever can imagine hearing that applied to me. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard that applied to ANYone except maybe someone with severe autism who indeed acts like a child (and sometimes uncomfortably so, hence possibly "creepy") because of the nature of the illness. I know quite a few people out of college that watch anime. Just like I know plenty of adults that watch Pixar and Disney movies and read Harry Potter... Good stories are good stories, no matter the medium.

I'd say obsessing about something isn't inherently "bad", although I think it's prolly not good, by its very definition. But people that obsess to the point where they are affect others or cannot interact in social situations... Well, I'd say that may be unhealthy, but I don't know that I've seen that very on very many occasions, and it's most certainly not limited to anime-lovers, nor your typical "nerdy" type of hobbies, either. I'm sure we can go find a few avid sport hunters out there that are so obsessed about guns, shooting, and killing animals that they are actually VERY creepy and awkward to try and interact with (and often respond to ANY question with "What?! Are you a [insert racist/derogatory term here]?").

Ciao!
KitsuneNineTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:25   Link #70
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You can only say that's true for your perception (which makes you prejudiced in that respect). You aren't in a position nor have any basis to make that sweeping assertion about all anime fans older than 20.

There are some fans that meet that description though... and you do have some grounding though in that some hobbyists are obsessive and don't realize they're even annoying to other hobbyists.
Of course there are SOME.

But you see, you can't possible gauge how many people are like that. There are people who ARE manchildren who don't know they are, cause no one's told them.

I tend to think that people who are completely normal that enjoy anime over that age are in the minority, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvoki View Post
Seems to me you’re the one doing the discriminating. In fact you sound like an ignorant, narrow-minded, bigot.
What's the matter? Did I hit a nerve?

I never, ever said all people are this, or all people are another thing.

I posted my opinion that most people above a certain age are something.

If I'm wrong, you can't prove it because you don't have any factual evidence to show me.

Quote:
LOL. I also don't think I have ever heard or ever can imagine hearing that applied to me. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard that applied to ANYone except maybe someone with severe autism who indeed acts like a child (and sometimes uncomfortably so, hence possibly "creepy") because of the nature of the illness. I know quite a few people out of college that watch anime. Just like I know plenty of adults that watch Pixar and Disney movies and read Harry Potter... Good stories are good stories, no matter the medium.
Look, so do I. And they're fairly normal, you're right, although in real life some of them aren't good at interacting with people. But what does your personal experience have to do with my opinion?

Quote:
You can only say that's true for your perception (which makes you prejudiced in that respect). You aren't in a position nor have any basis to make that sweeping assertion about all anime fans older than 20.

There are some fans that meet that description though... and you do have some grounding though in that some hobbyists are obsessive and don't realize they're even annoying to other hobbyists.
You're jumping to conclusions, as well.

Where in my post did I mention that all anime fans older than 20 are ANYTHING?
Old 2008-10-23, 14:45   Link #71
Xvoki

Quote:
Where in my post did I mention that all anime fans older than 20 are ANYTHING?
here:

Quote:

Quote:
What's the matter? Did I hit a nerve?

I never, ever said all people are this, or all people are another thing.

I posted my opinion that most people above a certain age are something.

If I'm wrong, you can't prove it because you don't have any factual evidence to show me.
Where's your evidence?

You know, I'm a fair guy. If you delete/ edit your post. Or perhaps give an apology to those you have insulted, I will would be quite happy to delete my remarks towards you.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:48   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Directly from your post..... perhaps you should consider your wording more carefully in the future if you didn't mean that.

Almost half the forum members are over 20 at the close of the last age poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48612) so you're labeling quite a large crowd. The last anime convention I attended -- probably half to 3/4 were over 20. Only about 10% were what I'd deem overly dysfunctional.

There's a huge difference between "somewhat abnormal" and "creepy manchild" "Normal" people consider "gamers" to be "abnormal"....

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-23 at 15:25.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:51   Link #73
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I haven't tbh....People don't even know I am/I don't consider myself one.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 14:53   Link #74
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Directly from your post..... perhaps you should consider your wording more carefully in the future if you didn't mean that.
I edited my post.

Look, I'm friends with great people that are completely normal that love anime and aren't in university. I know it's not true of everyone.

However, I'm of the opinion that some people above said age are a little abnormal. In one way or another.
Old 2008-10-23, 17:06   Link #75
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvoki View Post
here:

Where's your evidence?

You know, I'm a fair guy. If you delete/ edit your post. Or perhaps give an apology to those you have insulted, I will would be quite happy to delete my remarks towards you.
I didn't insult you. Or Vexx, even.

And it's an opinion because I don't have any facts to back it up. It's all based on personal experience.

Just as personal experience forms your opinion.

It wouldn't be an opinion if anyone was capable of proving me wrong.

also, as i posted before, i edited it.

Quote:

Almost half the forum members are over 20 at the close of the last age poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48612) so you're labeling quite a large crowd. The last anime convention I attended -- probably half to 3/4 were over 20. Only about 10% were what I'd deem overly dysfunctional.

There's a huge difference between "somewhat abnormal" and "creepy manchild" "Normal" people consider "gamers" to be "abnormal"....
Then again, your personal experience is based on people who actually go to conventions and discounts people who avoid all social contact.

Also, nowadays, gamers are actually becoming pretty much normal in the public eye.
Old 2008-10-23, 17:10   Link #76
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
I edited my post.

Look, I'm friends with great people that are completely normal that love anime and aren't in university. I know it's not true of everyone.

However, I'm of the opinion that some people above said age are a little abnormal. In one way or another.
Well of course there are. There will always be people of that nature no matter what demographic they fit into.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 17:12   Link #77
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well of course there are. There will always be people of that nature no matter what demographic they fit into.
There just happens to be more of them when it comes to anime.
Old 2008-10-23, 17:14   Link #78
space cowboy
cowboy of space

I've had funny looks when reading manga in public places but thats all im pleased to say.
space cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 17:33   Link #79
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
There just happens to be more of them when it comes to anime.
Much of that assumption probably comes from the fact that most of the anime fans that are noticable are openly reveal themselves as anime fans are the annoying clustur. You can't predict how many actual anime fans are like that just because of the way a couple of people act. You don't know how many anime fans there actually are, many of those normal people could be people who watch plenty of anime, but don't act out like the stereotypical fanbase.

Anyways back to the topic of fan discrimination. Now what I'm about to say is not nessecarily what a I believe, although some points are actual opinions of mine, but I just feel like playing devils advocate.

I hate anime fans because they are conceited, thickheaded, ignorant. etc. Human beings display these traits at some point in their lives, but most anime fans seem to have gotten an extra helping.

A good example of this sort of thing... Try going up to the average anime fan and casually refer to their favorite anime as a "cartoon." Nine times out of ten, you'll get to see the wheels in their head creak a little bit before the veins in their forehead start to twitch before they treat you to an extensive, violent rant on how anime are not cartoons, you stupid ugly American, it is a high form of art, unlike the half-hour toy commercials produced on this side of the Pacific, and to refer to it as a mere cartoon is to spit upon and violate all of the aesthetic glory that is anime.

There also seems to exist a rule in the Unwritten Code of Otakudom that denouncing everything Western and championing everything Japanese is an essential part of being an anime fan. The "America bad, Japan good" attitude, has spawned something even more utterly annoying than mere cultural chauvinism, and this is the irritating plague of fans who try to prove their Otaku Eliteness by speaking in weird bastardizations of Japanese and English, attaching honorifics to their names, and transcribing character names according to their original katakana spellings.

The first one isn't to bad unless it reaches a point where English speakers can't actually understand what the hell you're saying. As for the second, because honorifics are something dependent on your status relative to the person you're speaking to, giving yourself an honorific makes no sense. The third one makes me want to froth at the mouth.

One general characteristic of anime fans which irks me most, is that they take themselves and their entertainment too damn seriously. Sure, Japanese animation seems to put more of an emphasis on telling a serious story with well-developed characters than most of the animation we get in the West, but it's hardly an inviolable constant. I've seen some extremely crappy anime and some really damned good non-Japanese animation. Not every anime series is an irreproachable masterpiece of cinematography and character.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-10-23 at 17:59.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 17:57   Link #80
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Much of that assumption probably comes from the fact that most of the anime fans that are noticable are openly reveal themselves as anime fans are the annoying clustur. You can't predict how many actual anime fans are like that just because of the way a couple of people act. You don't know how many anime fans there actually are, many of those normal people could be people who watch plenty of anime, but don't act out like the stereotypical fanbase.

Anyways back to the topic of fan discrimination. Now what I'm about to say is not nessecarily what a I believe, although some points are actual opinions of mine, but I'I just feel like playing devils advocate.

I hate anime fans because they are conceited, thickheaded, ignorant. etc. Human beings display these traits at some point in their lives, but most anime fans seem to have gotten an extra helping.

A good example of this sort of thing... Try going up to the average anime fan and casually refer to their favorite anime as a "cartoon." Nine times out of ten, you'll get to see the wheels in their head creak a little bit before the veins in their forehead start to twitch before they treat you to an extensive, violent rant on how anime are not cartoons, you stupid ugly American, it is a high form of art, unlike the half-hour toy commercials produced on this side of the Pacific, and to refer to it as a mere cartoon is to spit upon and violate all of the aesthetic glory that is anime.

There also seems to exist a rule in the Unwritten Code of Otakudom that denouncing everything Western and championing everything Japanese is an essential part of being an anime fan. The "America bad, Japan good" attitude, has spawned something even more utterly annoying than mere cultural chauvinism, and this is the irritating plague of fans who try to prove their Otaku Eliteness by speaking in weird bastardizations of Japanese and English, attaching honorifics to their names, and transcribing character names according to their original katakana spellings.

The first one isn't to bad unless it reaches a point where English speakers can't actually understand what the hell you're saying. As for the second, because honorifics are something dependent on your status relative to the person you're speaking to, giving yourself an honorific makes no sense. The third one makes me want to froth at the mouth.

One general characteristic of anime fans which irks me most, is that they take themselves and their entertainment too damn seriously. Sure, Japanese animation seems to put more of an emphasis on telling a serious story with well-developed characters than most of the animation we get in the West, but it's hardly an inviolable constant. I've seen some extremely crappy anime and some really damned good non-Japanese animation. Not every anime series is an irreproachable masterpiece of cinematography and character.
You may be right to a point, but neither of us know enough to say anything for sure. That's why it's my opinion.

As for your return on topic...you're completely right.