AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-02, 23:22   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

SOTM 2009 - September (Cybernetics) - Entry Thread

!!!Welcome to the SOTM!!!

~Congratulations to AtomicoX for winning the August Contest!~

The theme chosen for September is - Cybernetics.
What is that? See here for details.

About the SOTM:
The Signature Of The Month contest is open to all members of the Animesuki Forums. The goal of the contest is to provide a fun and competitive way of showing off and improving the signatures and personal skills of contestants. The winner of each months contest is given the privilege of choosing the theme for the next month.

The contest begins on the first of each month and consists of roughly two weeks of entry creation/submission, one week of voting, and one week off. The entry and voting periods may be extended or shortened slightly as needed.

About the SOTM Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. The theme can be anything, as long as it does not break forum rules regarding inappropriate material. At the end of the month, voters choose which entries they liked best out of all submitted entries and a new winner is decided. Themes cannot be used twice in a row.

The Rules of the SOTM:

1. Contestants are allowed to create, work on, and submit their entry from the start of the contest until two weeks from the start date. This period of time is specified by the organizer every month. Once the entry period expires, all submitted entries are gathered up and sent to the Voting Thread.

2. Contestants must submit original works. This means you cannot simply cut a picture out, slap your name on it, and call it your own. Claiming someone else's work as your own is also not allowed. Anyone caught doing this will have their entries removed from the contest.

To further expand on this rule:
2A. Unless proven otherwise, all entries made by contestants are derivatives of works made by someone else. Thus, no claim of "ownership" shall be made in reference to the image(s) used in the signature entry.

2B. Misrepresenting someone else's signature work for your own is prohibited and will result in an immediate expulsion of the entry and disqualify the contestant from the current month's contest.

2C. In the spirit of originality, "crop" sigs are frowned upon, but not discouraged; however, the contest organizer can call upon all contestants to show the source of their entry(ies) at any time.

2D. Also in the spirit of originality, new signatures are encouraged. However, if you feel one of your older signatures is perfect for the theme and wish to enter it, you may. Just remember that the signature still has to follow the rules stated above.
3. Contestants are allowed to create as many entries as they wish, but are only allowed to enter one. To submit an entry officially, the contestant must mark the post in the Offical Entry Thread containing that entry with the words "Final Entry", or they can submit the signature to the contest organizer using the private message function.

4. Contestants who wish to keep their entries private until after the submission period can private message the contest organizer with their entry. The entry will not be displayed until submissions are closed, unless the contestant displays that entry publicly.

5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes. They must also comply with forum decency rules. If you think your entry will be offensive or reported to the moderators, don't post it, even as a joke.

About the SOTM Entry Process:

Every month, a new entry thread is created. Each month's entry thread is a central spot meant to give contestants a chance to create and improve their entries as well as their skills, in addition to providing them a place to post their official submissions.
The thread is solely about helping contestants with entries, and as such these things will not be tolerated:
1. Nonconstructive and negative criticism (if you truly dislike something about an entry, be polite and helpful)

2. Comments, questions, or complaints about General SOTM affairs

3. Flaming, trolling, and other uncivil behavior that breaks Forum Rules
Anyone disrupting the thread will be asked to take it privately, to the SOTM Generic Discussion Thread, or if the offense is severe enough - reported to the moderators.

This Month's Entry Period::

This months entry period officially starts Thursday, September 2nd, 2009 and lasts until Friday, September 18th, 2009. Entries will be gathered and put up for voting on Sunday, September 20th, 2009. Voting will end on the following Sunday.

The due date ends at 11:59 (midnight basically) UTC/GMT. The polling will be up one day later after 11:59 (again, midnight). I will try to be as lenient as I can with last minute submissions but only slightly.

It is up to you as a contestant to know what your time zone is in relation to UTC/GMT. I cannot do this for you.

Here is a site that can help you figure that out: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

Good luck to all contestants, and most importantly, have fun!!!
Old 2009-09-03, 01:00   Link #2
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Does KOS-MOS count for this theme? What about a full cyborg with no trace of human skin or something?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2009-09-03, 01:56   Link #3
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Does KOS-MOS count for this theme?
That's hard to determine since she's an android by definition (I planned to have that too but most androids is only metal with barely any human natural looks.) However, from pics I can see, some of them portray her with a human face and body infused with technology. So technically it fits, just make sure both parts (tech and human) is visible.

For those who don't know who she is she can easily pass as a cyborg anyway so I think it's fine.
Quote:
What about a full cyborg with no trace of human skin or something?
Doesn't count. That's more of an android again, or robot. Even if it's a human inside, that can't be determined by the pic alone. This is a very fine line that can be a problem with the theme but I'll try to answer best I can.

EDIT: Actually, most androids do have human looks by definition, so I'm in the error there. I think the same human - tech ratio counts so go ahead. Also as a sidenote, Mecha Musume or something similar don't count. I don't really consider that cybernetics. I could go on forever about cybernetics, sorry

Last edited by NorthernFallout; 2009-09-03 at 02:07.
Old 2009-09-03, 02:02   Link #4
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Think on Battle Angel Alita.
Old 2009-09-03, 08:00   Link #5
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Think on Battle Angel Alita.
That would be a good idea, are you going to relie on Alita or creep us all with the ''biggest secret of tiphares" ?

My first draws, C&C would be welcome;

Old 2009-09-03, 08:09   Link #6
LKK

Would Jeremiah from Code Geass R2 qualify?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-09-03, 09:25   Link #7
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^ After reading up a little more about him, yes he would qualify (with the eyepiece visible ofc). Again balances on that edge but it is cybernetics after all.

Old 2009-09-03, 15:34   Link #8
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Here is my first draft so far, Hope it fits the theme ok.

Cant really think of anything that needs done so I'll make it my final entry.

Last edited by Drake; 2009-09-06 at 22:45. Reason: Final entry update.
Old 2009-09-03, 16:52   Link #9
Risa chan
Watcher

here is my try. C&C appreciate ^^

Old 2009-09-03, 17:08   Link #10
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@ Drake, yes I think it fit the theme
@ Risa chan Your entrys have the same proplem than had at first escimo's last month, it's too hard to tell what we are seeing. You should make the form of the body a little bit more obvious, for now it blend so much on the light...
Old 2009-09-04, 12:17   Link #11
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

ok I wasn't even going to participate this month because it's one of the themes I like the least *hates robotics, cybernetic and so on x.x* but then I thought it'd be an interesting challenge to make a good sig with a theme I don't like...

so I tried, and I'm not really sure about the result, but anyway, here's my first try... and I hope it fits the theme since she's an android here...

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
Old 2009-09-04, 19:24   Link #12
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@ Vandakiara she seem android enough for me if you could focus more on the mechanic part ( hairs and her left uper arm ) it wouldn't hurt. Beside this, maybe reworking the background.

My third batch reworked the text, added some light to the ''third arm'' and try some variation for the color, C&C would be welcome.

Spoiler for the second try:
Old 2009-09-04, 19:53   Link #13
LKK

@ ganbaru: I like the middle one with the reddish tint best. The red tinting gives the pic more depth than the other ones. In all three pics, the girl and her gun seem to sitting on top of the picture rather than sitting in the picture. Maybe a little more blending around the edges?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-09-04, 20:30   Link #14
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Here's my first entry:

I hope it's not to simple >.>

Old 2009-09-04, 23:01   Link #15
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Here is my first draft so far, Hope it fits the theme ok.

Wots, it lokes very good and the style is nice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risa chan View Post
here is my try. C&C appreciate ^^

This one is just amazing. I really like it. Totally outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandakiara View Post
ok I wasn't even going to participate this month because it's one of the themes I like the least *hates robotics, cybernetic and so on x.x* but then I thought it'd be an interesting challenge to make a good sig with a theme I don't like...

so I tried, and I'm not really sure about the result, but anyway, here's my first try... and I hope it fits the theme since she's an android here...

Great as well, the style makes it look very "cybernetic", which I like, only the text at the left side, I think the sig would look better without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Hmmm... well, the style of the sig in this one is actually good, only the text seems out of place.

Also, try this: Filter/ Render/ Lens flare on the gun. It would look good, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-smepai View Post
Here's my first entry:

I hope it's not to simple >.>
Well, I'm not that happy of seing the same render twice on the sig, it's a bit unfocused.
Old 2009-09-05, 00:29   Link #16
Ichigo-Sora
*Graphic Designer

My try for this month:

Old 2009-09-05, 01:36   Link #17
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo-Sora View Post
My try for this month:

Yay! Looks really good.
Old 2009-09-05, 08:03   Link #18
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ichigo-Sora It's exellent, the only change than I can think of would be of makint the text a little more readable, and yet I am not sure it would be a good idea...
Quote:
Hmmm... well, the style of the sig in this one is actually good, only the text seems out of place.

Also, try this: Filter/ Render/ Lens flare on the gun. It would look good, I think.
In fact the ''white spot'' was a lens flare
4th version, I removed the text ( exept her name, the only thing than I would think of placing on this sig wouldn't fit , not enough room ) tonned down the render, added a photo filter, and added some lens flare over the first one. C&C would be welcome.
Old 2009-09-05, 08:24   Link #19
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Been a long time since I last took part in SOTM,

Hope this passes C&C?

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Last edited by Urei; 2009-09-05 at 14:58.
Old 2009-09-05, 08:53   Link #20
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:

Well, I'm not that happy of seing the same render twice on the sig, it's a bit unfocused.
I took out the render at the side, re-did the brushes. I hope this looks better.

Closed Thread

Tags
contest, sotm