AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2015-07-30, 21:56   Link #221
dragon1412

no they aren't. FYI
Quote:
Originally Posted by microsoft
Things you should know:
•A Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product keycannot activate Windows 10. Windows 10 uses its own unique product key.

•By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one as long as you upgraded from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 license or Windows 10 Preview build.

•If you perform a clean install on first attempt, you will have to start over from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 installation.

•If you are prompted to enter a product key, clickDo this laterand give it a few days, Windows 10 will activate automatically.

•Activation servers are being overwhelmedat the moment because of the volume of upgrades, so give it some time if you get an error message such as (0XC004E003, ,0x8007000D, 0x8007232b or 0x8007007B) Windows 10 will eventually activate as long as you upgrade using the appropriate method.

•There is no need to know your Windows 10 product key, read the following 'Understanding Product Activation in Windows 10:

Understanding Product Activation in Windows 10:

In previous Windows releases, when you installed an upgrade version of Windows, if you wanted to reinstall the upgrade version, you had to first reinstall the qualifying version from which you upgraded, reactivate it, then upgrade again and reactivate again.

With Windows 10, this is no longer the case. Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 and activate, you can simply create a bootable copy on DVD or USB and reinstall just Windows 10 without the need to reinstall the qualifying version and it will reactivate automatically.

"Windows 10 handles keys differently. When you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, the process registers your computers hardware, and qualifying OS with a Microsoft Product Activation Server. The device is then considered a Windows 10 device.

Subsequently anytime you re-install (or clean install) the installation checks with those servers, finds the unique installation ID and produces the validation"
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-31, 03:34   Link #222
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Does anyone know how large the Windows 10 file download is?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-31, 05:29   Link #223
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Does anyone know how large the Windows 10 file download is?
It was 2.7 GB approx.

---

I finally got Windows 10 up and running on my laptop. The process was fairly simple. Although I lost Windows Media Center since it wasn't compatible with the new OS. A bit peeved about that but I'm sure that there's an equivalent to it somewhere.

All of the gadgets on the right of my screen disappeared, but that was to be expected as they were obsolete since Windows 8.

I immediately went to NVIDIA GeForce Experience to update to the Windows 10 driver. A quick restart later and everything is working with that.

I noticed that the web camera above the screen of my laptop has stopped working so I couldn't use it for logging in with facial recognition. So that's a small negative.

Applications all seem to be there. My 64-bit Firefox (Waterfox) seems to be running a lot faster than before (all bookmarks are still there). Steam is running fine. Microsoft Office 2007 still works fine. Iobit software and Avast antivirus software seem to still be working. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC seems to be working fine. Chrome took a few restarts to properly work.

My laptop's FN key options still work but the touch buttons on the top which have specific functions do not work anymore (volume up/down works but mute/unmute, wifi on/off, power plan switch buttons don't work).

I'll give it a few more reboots and see what happens.

Last edited by OH&S; 2015-07-31 at 07:56.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-31, 14:48   Link #224
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Although I lost Windows Media Center since it wasn't compatible with the new OS. A bit peeved about that but I'm sure that there's an equivalent to it somewhere.
There are indeed 3rd party alternatives, although Microsoft is said to provide a DVD player app for people who used WMC to play DVD, and it's available for free when doing an in-place upgrade (not clean install) from a previous Windows version that had WMC installed. Of course, there are 3rd party alternatives for DVD playback as well.
Quote:
I noticed that the web camera above the screen of my laptop has stopped working so I couldn't use it for logging in with facial recognition.
If you're talking about the Windows Hello feature, I believe that requires specialized hardware. Other than that, hopefully a driver update will fix any hardware problem soon enough.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-31, 15:22   Link #225
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

^--- @dragon1412: what I said. After the upgrade is done, it checks the motherboard ID to cross-check it with MS' database and activate the install if the said ID is registered therein, hence why MS mentioned in their FAQs that changing the motherboard would force the user to buy a completely new license instead of being able to transfer it (you can swap any piece of hardware from your setup, including the HDD/SSD on which you're installing W10, except the MB).

Still, that doesn't explain why I keep generating bootable ISOs with different hashes each time.

@monster: W10's facial recognition requires a webcam with infrared capability (probably to discriminate between actual, breathing people and pictures of the said user held up in front of the webcam in order to fool it).

Anyway, most of the apps that were broken upon upgrade can be made right again by reinstalling them, as was the case today (I briefly reapplied the W10 partition image back to my C: drive in order to do some app troubleshooting) with XAMPP, Jdownloader2 and mIRC (though that last one leaves me puzzled, as I don't see why a simple copy-paste of the folder would cause the settings to be completely reset). I had to reinstall K-Lite, because Windows Media Player (I principally use it for its convenient playlists window; for the rest I use MP-HC) was acting iffy while playing some local videos. The most annoying was Punkbuster - while checking my games for compatibility, I kept getting kicked for no apparent reason out of Battlefield 3/4 matches, so I had to go back to their respective _Installers folders to manually reinstall PB and then bring them back to date with PBSetup.

Changed my region to the US to try out Cortana and...well, there's some work needed there. I think it took me six-seven tries for the speech recognition engine to recognize "How many meters are there in a league?". I likewise tried pronouncing "City 2" (name of a commercial complex) to get its address, and Cortana kept interpreting it as "sixty-two" or "CTE"; I eventually had to give up. For now, I think Google Now might have a slight edge over Cortana in terms of speech decoding (no clue about Siri, I am no Apple fan), but setting up reminders vocally turned out to be rather fun, not to mention all these pre-recorded Jen Taylor answers (like "Hey, Cortana - what does the fox say?").

Still not a fan of this bastardized start menu (though the in-menu search system appears to have been improved), and the overall simplification of settings (I actually relish the idea of having a truckload of options at my disposal so that I may tailor stuff to my needs and tastes).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-07-31 at 16:39.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 05:36   Link #226
sky black swordman

Is anybody having a problem with their audio not working? So, my brother recently did the upgrade for his Dell Wiindows 7 laptop. Everything seem to be working fine but, while I was his using laptop to watch a live stream on Youtube (with my head phones on) the stream I was watching suddenly stopped loading and the sound cut off. This occurred after I took off my headphones out of the jack. I thought it might just Youtube but, I went to other video sites and audio wasn't working on those sites as well. Anybody know how to fix this problem?
Old 2015-08-01, 09:05   Link #227
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Gonna finish downloading W10 tomorrow.

Any issues with AMD card drivers? I don't regularly update my drivers due to the relative shit that AMD has with their drivers, but I'll update mine if W10 requires updates drivers for AMD.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 10:02   Link #228
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally installed Windows 10.
Works great. So far none of the games i installed have problems.
Old 2015-08-01, 10:10   Link #229
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Gonna finish downloading W10 tomorrow.

Any issues with AMD card drivers? I don't regularly update my drivers due to the relative shit that AMD has with their drivers, but I'll update mine if W10 requires updates drivers for AMD.
Windows 10 updates drivers itself through windows update, and completely ignores the 'don't install drivers through windows update' option when it is selected.

My upgrade to windows 10 has been at dead slow and stop since every attempt after the original upgrade files were downloaded has ended in failure (as in the initial process to start the upgrade through windows update fails) and I've purged everything so that it can get it done correctly, but I'm about ready to cancel my reservation, purge the update files that provides the upgrade program and stay on the garbage heap that is windows 8.1 (I might just back up all my personal files and go back to windows 7 since it is at least more compatible with all my programmes).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 13:13   Link #230
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Windows 10 updates drivers itself through windows update, and completely ignores the 'don't install drivers through windows update' option when it is selected.

My upgrade to windows 10 has been at dead slow and stop since every attempt after the original upgrade files were downloaded has ended in failure (as in the initial process to start the upgrade through windows update fails) and I've purged everything so that it can get it done correctly, but I'm about ready to cancel my reservation, purge the update files that provides the upgrade program and stay on the garbage heap that is windows 8.1 (I might just back up all my personal files and go back to windows 7 since it is at least more compatible with all my programmes).
have you tried the media creation tool? All of my attempts at upgrading through Windows Update have failed, too. So I just used the media creation tool and everything worked fine.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 22:17   Link #231
AnimeFan188

Wait, STOP: Are you installing Windows 10 or RANSOMWARE?:

"Cisco's security team has noticed a new spamming campaign attempting to spread
the CTB-Locker ransomware using emails purporting to come from Microsoft, telling
people they are ready to download Windows 10.

The emails mimic the actual Windows 10 messages Redmond has been sending out
(with some minor text mistakes) and have spoofed the originating address to read
as update@microsoft.com, although the sender's IP address can be traced back to
Thailand. There's also a Microsoft disclaimer, and a message claiming the files have
been cleared as virus-free by Mailscanner."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...ad_ransomware/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 22:27   Link #232
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
All my attempts to install Windows 10 have failed. It gets to the "configuring settings" part up until about 86% total installed then goes to a black screen, which it stays at for HOURS. My computer is completely unresponsive to any input at this point and when I turn the computer off and then on again it reverts the installation back to Windows 7. I have attempted both using Windows Update and the Media Creation Tool.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-02, 04:32   Link #233
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Things were going well for me during my experience with Windows 10. My computer booted up faster than before. I managed to fix the web camera facial recognition issue I had. My programs and apps generally ran faster.

Then I had my first BSOD. It was a nicer BSOD than previous Windows versions. But in the end, a BSOD is a BSOD.

Problems came afterwards when the computer rebooted.

For some reason, whenever I click on the time in the bottom right corner, nothing happens. A calendar used to pop up, but now it doesn't.

It seems I have a new notification. But for some reason, when I click on the icon on the taskbar, nothing happens. The notifications should appear on the right for me to see but now it doesn't.

These 2 problems were bearable enough but the next one had me facepalming.

When I click on the start menu icon on the bottom left corner or press the "Windows" key, nothing happens. The start menu that is supposed to appear, now doesn't.

That's not a problem I can live with.

But I suspect some file or driver that allows the above three to happen has been deleted. How, I don't know. But I have this 3rd party uninstaller software that brings up a popup whenever something has been deleted. When I tried to use the above three, I received a message regarding "Search" and "Windows Shell Experience" (or something like that).

How on earth do I fix that?

EDIT: To make matters worse, the search option isn't working when I click it. And Microsoft Edge also did the same thing. After rebooting, even the icon on the taskbar disappeared.

There must be a link to all of them. I'm very annoyed by all this. Though the OS isn't broken enough for me not to be using it to complain in this post.

Last edited by OH&S; 2015-08-02 at 05:23.
Old 2015-08-02, 05:40   Link #234
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Two ways:
- Without using the install DVD/thumb drive: open the command line interface in an elevated mode (type cmd.exe in the start menu, right-click then click "run as administrator") and type
Code:
SFC /scannow
The system file checker will tell you if some of your libraries are broken and will attempt to fix them if any are found. The log will be found at C:\Windows\Logs. You can likewise use the DISM executable, which is able to fix corrupted Windows files. After running sfc /scannow, keep cmd.exe then copy-paste (yes, cmd.exe now supports copy-paste!) this:
Code:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
and let it run.

- With the install DVD/thumb drive: either you've already created a DVD using the Media Creation Tool or you can create a system repair disk right within windows. Reboot your PC (make sure that in your BIOS' options the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM reader has higher boot priority than your Windows HDD/SSD) with the DVD/TD you've burnt, and go to Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Automatic Repair. Reboot afterwards.

Warning: there are two other options in the repair/recovery menus both in the bootable DVD and the Windows settings, namely "refresh your PC" and "reset your PC". Beware! Refreshing will bring your Windows settings back to default and uninstall ALL your installed programs (except the apps you got from the Windows store), but leave your personal files (pictures, media, etc) intact. Reset is...well, think full factory reset: it wipes out everything, gives you back a complete clean slate without your personal files. Only use that as a last resort and AFTER backing up all your files.

In the meantime, try looking into Windows' event viewer and the System logs to see if you can't pinpoint the origin of your crash. Better yet, download a piece of software by NirSoft called BlueScreenView and have it check the most recent crash dump file (NOTE: I don't know whether BSV has been updated to handle Windows 10's internals, though). It should directly tell you what went south when you had your BSOD.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-02 at 06:03.
Old 2015-08-02, 06:45   Link #235
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^

Using BlueScreenView this is what my error came up as:

Source

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Event Viewer gave me this:

Source

My current cmd.exe progress:

Source

*ntoskrnl.exe was the cause of my BSOD but I'm not convinced it did everything after that.

*The first scan, didn't fix anything. The second is at 20.0%.

*I seem to be unable to find the app which lets me create a recovery disc.

*In the settings app, the recovery options has the "reset PC" option but it seems to be what you described as the "refresh PC" option. That seems like my last resort.

EDIT:

The second cmd process finished with an error:

TL;DR…

Last edited by OH&S; 2015-08-02 at 07:08.
Old 2015-08-02, 07:13   Link #236
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Finally installed w10 after looking at my friend's w10 It's pretty darn awesome other than I can't play void elsword anymore..then again that server is pretty much ded. Hopefully won't get some bugs along the way since I'm not good at these kind of stuffs

Also my photo viewers is kinda weird now. My w8 didn't have any problems after scaling all apps, text etc size for my monitor when doing slide show for my pictures in photo viewers. However w10 made my picture zoomed in too much during slide show and I can't see a thing other than the left corner of my pics. I don't even know how to zoom in/out during the slide show

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-02, 07:32   Link #237
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

@OH&S: looking at the BSV printout, it seems something from the NT kernel crashed and your PC automatically shut itself down to prevent issues (hence the BSOD), but aside from that it's all gobbledegook; no further useful information (unless you're a Microsoft engineer who can translate addresses in his mind or remember all the error codes). The problem is that since Windows 10 is still spanking brand new and right off the oven, a lot of the official documentation is missing or still being written and specific repair walkthroughs (though you could have some success with similar problems occurring on W7/W8.1) are sparse, so pinpointing the source from all the hexadecimal values will be very tricky. Not sure whether it's caused by a driver, as BSV can sometimes tell you whether it's the case or not (and even tell which DLL is the culprit), and there is nothing in the report or the event log that belies that.

The Windows Event Log, unfortunately, deals with the aftermath, about how power was lost (automatically triggered by your OS' self-preservation routines); it doesn't point a finger at the origin of this hoopla.

As for the repair disk creation, it appears that W10 changed some old Windows features again (*sigh*). Just download the Media Creation Tool and create either a bootable ISO image or a bootable thumb drive, if you have a spare one you don't mind reformatting.

And, yeah, DISM and SFC tend to be hit-or-miss: either they fix stuff right off the bat or they tell you "sorry, but I couldn't do squat." DISM can be particularly frustrating even if you specify a source (either Windows Update, which is chosen by default, or an OS deployment image on your PC/network); it's like dealing with a passive-aggressive colleague.

And, yeah, Refresh means you'll have to reinstall all your software (Photoshop, maybe even Office, chat, etc), but your photos, music, personal folders, etc. will be kept as-is. Once again, err on the safe side and back everything up before doing the refresh in case Windows decides to pull another one over you.
Old 2015-08-02, 07:56   Link #238
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Had a feeling. I'll hold off on reseting/refreshing the computer for now as I really don't want to lose the programs I have installed.

I've searched a bit and it seems these taskbar problems are being experienced by other users. I'll see what Microsoft have to say for themselves within the next 2 weeks and after I've exhausted all options, only then will I consider reseting.

At the very least, now that I've done the cmd checks they won't tell me to do it again.
Old 2015-08-02, 10:09   Link #239
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Just wondering.... why is everyone getting Win 10 so early when it's obviously full of bugs at this point ala standard Microsoft fare?
Old 2015-08-02, 10:25   Link #240
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

@Cosmic Eagle: probably because everyone wants to secure their copy of W10 before Microsoft changes its mind on the 1-year free upgrade offer. It's not everyday you can get a >$100-200+ piece of software for free without any blatant or debilitating caveat.

Aside from that, extensive marketing and online buzz due to positive Windows Insider feedback probably convinced people to give W10 a try and momentarily forget W8/8.1.

@OH&S: I'm sorry, but Microsoft changed some things between the Insider Betas and the RTM build, so I'm sometimes talking from memory, about features and options that are now gone (blargh) or have been mutated into something else. Indeed, they've removed the ability to create a repair disk right from the OS (I used it recently on Windows 7, so I thought it'd still be there on W10) and replaced it with something called "create a repair drive", which is something else altogether.

The bootable ISO, which you can create from the Media Creation Tool (cf. previous page), does OTOH have automatic repair, but I'm afraid it's kind of a simplified SFC /scannow that checks the boot managers and a few other things and then basta. I'll have to check whether it has the refresh option, because "Reset" will completely erase the contents of your Windows install (it's one step further than "refresh"); it's like a factory reset on a smartphone.

EDIT: just had a peek at my own bootable Windows 10 DVD now; they've completely removed the "refresh" option from the troubleshooting section and replaced it with "reset". *deep sigh*

Last edited by Renegade334; 2015-08-02 at 13:31.