AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-08-18, 03:07   Link #21
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Are you linking to the old trailer? I'm on limited bandwidth so I don't like to get stuff I've gotten before.

The books are likely to be CG, polygonal based items.. but I could be wrong. Shinkai's works never disappoint for bg-art, though this one seems to be taking it one step higher.
The trailer is the same as the one from the official site. (which, by the way, has just been updated with contents from Shinkai-san's previous works as well)

From the way the books are drawn and colored (every book different), I'd say they are not CG (perhaps created through photoshop instead (ie. edited photo), since Shinkai-san did mention he uses photoshop heavily in his backgrounds). Shinkai-san does make use of CG arts in his works, but they tend to be used for large moving objects (mechs in "Hoshi no Koe", for example), not for stationary backgrounds.

The train in the trailer, for example, is clearly CG.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 03:58   Link #22
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
The trailer is the same as the one from the official site. (which, by the way, has just been updated with contents from Shinkai-san's previous works as well)

From the way the books are drawn and colored (every book different), I'd say they are not CG (perhaps created through photoshop instead (ie. edited photo), since Shinkai-san did mention he uses photoshop heavily in his backgrounds). Shinkai-san does make use of CG arts in his works, but they tend to be used for large moving objects (mechs in "Hoshi no Koe", for example), not for stationary backgrounds.
Oh, but I take that into consideration already.. the books colored different; with lighting and a good physics engine that's well possible. I'm not naive with regards to this sort of thing, and I think modern technology is pushing that boundary.. the girl in the scene is also picking up a book from the shelves, and it'll be useful to see if that book is drawn different from the rest (which is the usual technique). We're also not too sure if these are really stationary backgrounds, are we?

The camera could be panning from left to right, for which a 3D rendered bg would be far more accurate than 2D art. I'll agree with you that it's more likely that it's a static bg, but I think it being a polygon model isn't impossible or improbable. But we'll see..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 05:47   Link #23
kari-no-sugata

I'd say that the scene complexity is a bit too high for everything to be CG. Some of the lighting effects (on walls/floors for example) are very complex and too "real" for CG - basically, it'd take far too much effort. The bokeh (out of focus) effects are a bit too real too.

I'd say they took real photos and made them look like cell paintings. You sometimes see manga where they've done the same in backgrounds... maybe this is the first time for anime...?
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 06:06   Link #24
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
You sometimes see manga where they've done the same in backgrounds... maybe this is the first time for anime...?
Yes, that does happen both in manga and anime (Evangelion, anyone?), however, they are usually taking a greyscale photo or video background and blur it to make it blend more with the hand-drawn animation in the front.

This is not the case here. The picture is far too perfect to be a filtered photo. The lighting effects have to be drawn manually.

Shinkai definitely uses HDR photography as a visual template to work off, but I doubt that he uses it as a direct base.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 08:18   Link #25
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It's Shinkai, he's more like a creator of great animes rather than an innovator of anime. Though all of his works are romance in the reminisce kind of romance. His works always question us "Is the wait all worth it at the end?" But I suppose in the anime sence, it does.

ps: i know nothing of his new anime at the moment, gotta go read about it now ^_^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
The trailer is already at 1280x720, and unlike normal animes with less detailed backgrounds, I don't see how backgrounds like these can look any better. ^^;

Look at the details on those books o_o:

By the way, the trailer is also up at Stage6:
http://stage6.divx.com/members/62389/videos/1367
(double click for full screen)

Beat that, Youtube.
"sigh" Too bad I can't read Japanese like you do Sushi_Y, . But, yes beat that youtube!

His artwork and the quality he puts into it always amaze me. Everything is so vibrant, and the scenery is like watching a sun set every time there's a new scene. Well... enjoy now.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 10:09   Link #26
DaFool
Resident devil

There was a link awhile back (maybe on his personal blog), comparing the original stock location photo with his rendered background. What I remember are the following:

1.) The perspective and layout of photo and BG are the same
2.) The general color and texture of photo and BG are the same
3.) The anime-style coloring differentiates the BG
4.) The lighting and shadows don't seem to be filtered on, but rather reworked into the picture.

I have attempted to do a similar thing (create detailed backgrounds for animation given stock footage), and while I can get some of the realism in textures and shadows/highlights, the lighting still eludes me as Shinkai's works are never flat in color. He has some sort of 'secret recipe'

Where Shinkai uses BGs are external objects. A few times he uses them for background objects (such as the water tank? in Wind OP). But in my opinion, the best backgrounds are rendered as fully flat raster images (i.e. Photoshop). I know way more people who can pull of excellent BGs armed with just Photoshop than those armed with a full 3D suite. Even 3D-rendered BGs must have textures to look real, and guess where they pull off those textures?
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:38   Link #27
Lost

I like how he adds that sheen of light bouncing off objects, like in that picture Sushi-Y posted with the Scooter. Vibrant yes, and brings out a kind of depth to the picture.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 22:07   Link #28
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I like how he adds that sheen of light bouncing off objects, like in that picture Sushi-Y posted with the Scooter. Vibrant yes, and brings out a kind of depth to the picture.
But it's still stunning, no? zap zap, Lost, you're now paralyzed, FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
There was a link awhile back (maybe on his personal blog), comparing the original stock location photo with his rendered background. What I remember are the following:

1.) The perspective and layout of photo and BG are the same
2.) The general color and texture of photo and BG are the same
3.) The anime-style coloring differentiates the BG
4.) The lighting and shadows don't seem to be filtered on, but rather reworked into the picture.

I have attempted to do a similar thing (create detailed backgrounds for animation given stock footage), and while I can get some of the realism in textures and shadows/highlights, the lighting still eludes me as Shinkai's works are never flat in color. He has some sort of 'secret recipe'

Where Shinkai uses BGs are external objects. A few times he uses them for background objects (such as the water tank? in Wind OP). But in my opinion, the best backgrounds are rendered as fully flat raster images (i.e. Photoshop). I know way more people who can pull of excellent BGs armed with just Photoshop than those armed with a full 3D suite. Even 3D-rendered BGs must have textures to look real, and guess where they pull off those textures?
My skills in photoshop isn't good enough where i can render my images to look like his yet.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2006-08-19, 10:14   Link #29
Lost

Uh... yes yes, incredibly stunning in the way its so life-like. I swear, it even looks better than the real thing. I'm serious.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 11:06   Link #30
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

But it's not like it a 26 episode long anime, so Shinkai can meticiously work on every single little detail. THat's why all of Shinkais and Miyazaki's work are so famed for their life like CGs. (not really Miyazaki)

Old 2006-11-01, 12:27   Link #31
Paragon83

Makoto Shinkai's New Work

Yeah, this movie looks amazing! Mr. Shinkai's works are always highly inspirational to me since I am an aspiring artist myself. As for his beautiful BG's, he still hand draws all of them (many times using real locations and photos as a reference) and then scans them into a computer and thats where the real magic happens. As his coloring and CG effects really set him apart from the rest of the anime industry, in my opinion anyways.

I can draw BG's out of my head but they are never quite as good or as detailed as when I use a photo or location as a reference and draw from that. But I don't think I'll ever have Mr. Shinkai's computer skills at coloring and lighting.
Paragon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 10:07   Link #32
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

There's a new promo on Yahoo. The direct link to the stream is here (16mb).

That shot of the lights coming on in the classroom had me picking my jaw off the carpet....

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-11-20 at 10:19.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 11:04   Link #33
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

No kidding. The whole promo is pretty much one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Even more so than the previous one...
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 14:14   Link #34
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Holy lighting effects, Batman!

This was certainly promising. I always wondered how will Shinkai be able to pull of fantastic visuals without his usual sci-fi storyline, and this is the answer.

Beautifully painted and animated, if only for a minute forty.
Old 2006-11-20, 14:49   Link #35
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

*picks jaw from the floor*

The new promo is breathtakingly beautiful, indeed.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 15:51   Link #36
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
There's a new promo on Yahoo. The direct link to the stream is here (16mb).

That shot of the lights coming on in the classroom had me picking my jaw off the carpet....
Did I mention that I bought Beyond the Cloud 3 times already? Actually, I did; in fact, in this very thread. I believe Shinkai is the standard for perfection in animation at the moment.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 16:10   Link #37
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

I almost cried while watching the trailer. I guess that shows everything.

Last edited by Quajafrie; 2006-11-20 at 16:20.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 17:08   Link #38
martino
makes no files now

The new promo is available in 720p as well. Sweetness at it's best!
Old 2006-11-20, 17:10   Link #39
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Let's just hope that the promised 3 cinematic novellas combined by their theme DO stay as 3 novellas.

Because Shinkai isn't exactly a master of the feature film genre. He has a lot more success with shorter, OVA-length pieces.
Old 2006-11-20, 17:46   Link #40
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
This was certainly promising. I always wondered how will Shinkai be able to pull of fantastic visuals without his usual sci-fi storyline, and this is the answer.
This shot suggests he hasn't completely ditched the sci-fi:

Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai