AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-28, 00:44   Link #781
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
700+ posts isn't bad for a nominally sports-themed series on these boards. The magnificent S1 of Major didn't get that many.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 01:25   Link #782
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
There's no love in such a half-assed statement! Bamboo blade was in the 1660's!! Aim for the 2,000 posts!!!
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 02:04   Link #783
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
There's no love in such a half-assed statement! Bamboo blade was in the 1660's!! Aim for the 2,000 posts!!!
You can't compare Bamboo Blade with Cross Game. The former was filled with ludicrously cute high school girls (God bless them, if I may add), while the latter doesn't really want to rely on graphics' appeal, but instead only focus on plot.

This '80s character designs, proposed nowadays, isn't certainly appealing for the average anime viewer who hasn't lived at least a little bit of Eighties himself. Even I picked this up coincidentally because I saw a good review of episode 1 on Omni's blog, and at that time decided to give it a try myself, despite the fact baseball is mostly unknown in my country and I barely know the basic rules (sometimes I understand Saki better, because at least I know mahjong lol).

Anyway, may I ask how you did come across this series? 20 eps in a 3 days sitting is wonderful, though from now on with just 1 ep per week, I guess you'll suffer from withdrawal symptoms
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 08:45   Link #784
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
I think the main problem that had kept me away from this series is that from the early descriptions of people they seemed to emphasize the fact that this was a sports-'slice of life' series (with whatever people believe slice of life is nowadays) series rather than the almost completely focused school life, character oriented series it is. So I was lumping it together with the likes of Prince off Tennis or Slam Dunk, which aren't bad at all, but I feel like I've graduated from them in a sense.

Conversely, it wasn't till someone emphasized how much this series is about the character interactions and relationships when compared to classical sports series that I decided to give it a shot. To the point that I think it is a little off to call it a sports series (or slice of life, this is character interactions at its best).
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:02   Link #785
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
There's no love in such a half-assed statement! Bamboo blade was in the 1660's!! Aim for the 2,000 posts!!!
Half-assed??? Did you just call me half-assed? If anyone is whole-assed about Cross Game, it's me - some of us have been watching it since day one. I don't have to accept derisiveness from a bandwagoner who was four months late to the party.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:14   Link #786
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
Great! That's the spirit! Now stand up and shout I LOVE CROSS GAME!! To the world till you pass outl I'm currently doing that.

Ehemm... okay, I will stop now.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:21   Link #787
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 41
I LOVE CROSS GAME!!

Oh wait... I've said that, already...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:23   Link #788
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
I still say this show needs it's own subforum. I daresay this show will get more exposure on this board if it had it's own section.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:27   Link #789
poko-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboygo View Post
Ah my old friend, how quickly we can forget. Was it not just a few episodes ago that we were rooting against Azuma when Kou was pitching against him? I made a point in the manga discussion thread about how subtly Adachi shifted our perception of Azuma from insufferable a-hole to one of the good guys. Now people are actually rooting for him to get the girl.

As I've support-chara complex (except for Chiaki-sama) I knew he must be a good guy since the very start.
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:29   Link #790
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 41
Well, it's not really up to me and you, if the show gets its own subforum or not, MeoTwister5.
Mainly, it doesn't seem to generate the same number of posts or concurrent topics of discussion that something like Bakemonogatari or Umineko does, so... the mods do not see fit to have a special section for it.

They could aggregate all of Mitsuru Adachi's related works in one subforum, tho. That would be something. But, since no author here gets the same treatment, I don't think it would fly...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 10:48   Link #791
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
In any case, am I the only one waiting for Momiji to give Aoba a "Make your move or I'll make my own" ultimatum?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 11:43   Link #792
CWW
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Well, looking at her sisters, no doubt she will grow up into a hottie. Maybe Kou should wait a few years.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 12:01   Link #793
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think the main problem that had kept me away from this series is that from the early descriptions of people they seemed to emphasize the fact that this was a sports-'slice of life' series (with whatever people believe slice of life is nowadays) series rather than the almost completely focused school life, character oriented series it is.
This is what I wrote about the series on april 16th (it's in my VMs) after 2 episodes:
I'd definitely suggest trying Cross Game. Don't be deceived by the appearances, there's a whole lot more than a simple sports anime. Chemistry between characters and relationships are very well illustrated, and the story is told in a really smart, heartwarming way.
Must have posted it in some more visible place . Anyway, I usually go and use avatars/signatures of a certain series I'd like to promote if it's flying dramatically under the radar. With Cross Game this is difficult because there isn't really much catchy material to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
To the point that I think it is a little off to call it a sports series (or slice of life, this is character interactions at its best).
I think it can be called in both ways, but you can't strip off the "sports" label. If there's a bond between all the characters, it is thanks to baseball. We've a had a 3 episodes long match (that doesn't happen in a non sports series), and most likely we'll have other games as we proceed. Anyway, I'm usually not nitpicking about those things, assuming the product is good everything is fine.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 12:13   Link #794
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
If CG gets the Touch treatment (101 episodes + 2 movies)....

Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 12:13   Link #795
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
I don't mind the sport episodes at all, in fact i've enjoyed every single episode so far. However the sports label brings a lot of stereotypes that don't really fit with what Cross Game is. It got a sports setting, but it is as much of a sports series as ARIA is a series about gondoliers.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 14:52   Link #796
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Half-assed??? Did you just call me half-assed? If anyone is whole-assed about Cross Game, it's me - some of us have been watching it since day one. I don't have to accept derisiveness from a bandwagoner who was four months late to the party.
We're finally big enough to have infighting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I still say this show needs it's own subforum. I daresay this show will get more exposure on this board if it had it's own section.
That's kind of missing the point, since subforums are meant for popular series, not to make them popular. Otherwise every series would get a subforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
If CG gets the Touch treatment (101 episodes + 2 movies)....

It's 51 episodes, and for petes sake I hope there aren't any movies. Maybe its just bad luck, but every single anime sequel movie I've seen has been pointless and unnecessary. Especially the first Touch movie. Cross Roads was okay though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I don't mind the sport episodes at all, in fact i've enjoyed every single episode so far. However the sports label brings a lot of stereotypes that don't really fit with what Cross Game is. It got a sports setting, but it is as much of a sports series as ARIA is a series about gondoliers.
I disagree. I think baseball is an important part of the series and to the characters individually. Maybe calling it a sports anime is inaccurate, but removing the baseball element would certainly change the series overall.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-08-28 at 15:16.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 15:15   Link #797
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
As I said, and partially agree with you, it is a critical part of the work but as a setting, important just as ARIA would not be ARIA if it was not about gondoliers in an idealised Venice, and as any series would be different in form if its setting were to change. But my point stands, it is not important as a plot element or as a genre qualifier, as substance or as the series core, just as ARIA is not a series about a group of girls singing "row, row, row your boat". Of course there are a few and important bunch of sport related episodes, but they are not enough to classify the series as a sports one.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-08-28 at 15:33.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 15:20   Link #798
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I don't post on here enough but Cross Game is by far my favorite anime of the spring/summer season and it has a good chance of being my favorite of 2009. I just love the quiet, nostalgic feel of it. And all the characters are so endearing. Whether its the sports aspect or relationship aspect everything seems to further the development of the characters. But I do think both the sports & relationship aspect are equally important to the series.

But I guess I don't post so much on here because sometimes I am not sure of what to say except proclaiming my love for an episode.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 16:15   Link #799
joeboygo
mechaii
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
We're finally big enough to have infighting!
I think baseball is an important part of the series and to the characters individually. Maybe calling it a sports anime is inaccurate, but removing the baseball element would certainly change the series overall.
True dat, true dat. Even if you are into Cross Game for the romance, at least be aware that the competetive athletics is an essential element of that romance. The story telling conventions of a sports romance are different from that of a regular romance. Even the target audience is different. A conventional romance will have an overwhelmingly female viewership. A sports romance tends to to better with the male demographic.

And, alas, it has to be baseball, and specifically, high school baseball. Cross Game cannot be done within the context of any other sport. This is because no other sport in Japan boasts an event that has even half the historical prestige, mystique and universal fascination as the summer Koshien. For a storyteller, the word "Koshien" is like a magic shortcut. Just throw it in and it automatically conjures deep-seated feelings of excitement, exhilaration (or heartbreak, as the case may be) and nostalgia that will resonate with almost any Japanese person with fond memories of high school.

In short, get over it baseball haters. Trying to take the baseball out of Cross Game is like trying to pick the raisins out of the mueslix: you simply can't, so if you just give up and learn to enjoy it as it is, it will do your body good.
joeboygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 16:19   Link #800
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 33
Pulling straw mans does not make your argument more credible, you know.

Having said that, In no way did I said that baseball was not important as an element to the series. I was discussing in what way it was important. And with what you are saying you are even partially agreeing with me in fact. (at least from the second paragraph onwards).

And anyway, looking at the demographics and viewing ratings that some of Adachi's past works have (specially Touch and its +30% peak viewing rates back in the 80's) reinforces my position that Adachi's works stands apart from other sports oriented series in that it appeals to a much wider audience.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-08-28 at 16:32.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.