AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni (Season 1) - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 40 12.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 5.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 50 16.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 66 21.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 48 15.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 29 9.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 28 8.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 15 4.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.28%
1 out of 10 : Painful 16 5.13%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-01-07, 16:29   Link #41
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iromaru View Post
I must say DEEN really impressed me with Umineko. No other studio could take a great source material and turn it into a pure garbage as well as DEEN.
I think you mean Chiaki Kon. Only Chiaki Kon could turn both Umineko and Nodame Cantabile (the second season) into a lump of middling mediocrity, which are both considered amazing works in their original form.

In all, it would've really been a pretty good adaptation had the director not made so many questionable choices in what to extend and what to cut, chosen to put more character development in (at least in the cracks or with reactions to deaths!), and generally not made all the cuts she did make in such a choppy manner. The music direction (not the actual music, which was pretty good) was another lackluster point. Not to mention the animation, but...that's DEEN for you . Not a surprise there.

The seiyuus were really excellent a certain Siesta excluded. I hope that, if there is indeed not a second season, there's at least some sort of PS2 adaptation of the games or something that allows them to show off their serious skillz.

So, 6.5/10, rounding to 7/10.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 09:16   Link #42
ZeroForever

hmm just got around to finishing the series last night, would give it around a 7.3~7.8, rounded down to 7 because i'm like that though.

It was entertaining enough to draw my interest to look up the VN's which generally means it did a good job though some scenes were meh. Though by indiciations the VN's are so much better... but that really shouldn't be of any surprise the original novels and manga's very rarely transition well into animes, much less complex ones like this. As noted though i was tempted to give his anime a 8 because it got me interested (then again as its like hiragashi i was semi interested already)
Old 2010-01-08, 15:04   Link #43
FredericaBernkastel
Gothic Lolita Bernkastel

Well..

I think the series was good, overall.

The thing that REALLY got on my nerves, was when they replaced Dreamenddischarger with core. Um, did I say core?
Sorry, I meant goldenslaughterer.

And No BeatoBattler Hug scene at the end of the final?! Ahhhh!
I was so annoyed.
They even made a decent remix for Dreamenddischarger in the anime ost, so why didnt they use it...
;;
FredericaBernkastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 19:26   Link #44
KoiYuki

Animation Quality: 7
the animation was pretty nice when they tried, but there was just way too much QUALITY.

Voice Actors: 10
Never really found any problems, liked all the voices.

Script: Uh
Really.. depends on the episode. The dialouge was okay, but a lot was skipped and rushed.

Adaptation from Game: 6
While it wasn't a bad adaption, it certainly wasn't too good of one. Too many important things were skipped or rushed, characterization was murdered, etc. It was decent as it's own thing.

BGM/Music: 7
Looove the OP song, and the ED song grew on me as well. I'm glad they kept some of the good VN tracks, but from what I've heard from others, they didn't use them appropriately, and they overplayed certain songs.

Average = 8

I liked it, it entertained me.
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-17, 15:09   Link #45
Gohda
Magical Gohda Chef

My thoughts on the anime adaption:

I started out as an anime-only fan, to be honest. It wasn't until EP3 was almost over in the anime that I started playing the VN. After having played EP1~5, I can honestly say that I find the VN superior to the anime in that it delivers the suspense and surprises much more effectively than the anime did for me. The anime does, however, undeniably have a much better animation. The artwork in the VN is downright poor, and looks like something my little sister would draw. Nonetheless, the story is delivered in a much more satisfactory way than the anime does, and you get used to the art.

Animation: 8/10, superb. If you forget about the boob fanservice, the animation feels very crisp and fresh.

Storytelling: 5/10, poor. The way they rushed through everything really effected the storytelling, in a bad way. Now believe me, I'd hate to be tasked with spreading the whole of the first four VN's over a measly 26 anime episodes, because it's impossible. However, though it might've been an impossible task, it doesn't take away the fact that it ruined the awesome storytelling in the VN.

Voice acting: 8/10, superb. I wouldn't have imagined them any other way. They did a very good job casting the characters. Who could forget Kinzo's memorable "BEEAATUUURIIICHAAAY!" and Beatrice's "EET'S PAAHFEKTOO!" or "CONGRADULASHUNS!"? Only Natsuhi's voice seemed slightly off in my opinion.

Overall: 7/10, very nice. The anime got me into Umineko, so I owe it alot. Nevertheless, it wasn't as good as it could've been. Let's just hope they'll do a better job with Chiru.
Gohda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 22:26   Link #46
Nadeor
Asmodeus Saigo (>v<)/

Send a message via MSN to Nadeor
Animation Quality: 7
Some of the special effects were alright...but not as what I've expected it to be

Horie Yui, Rie Kugimiya...Any questions?

Script: 4
The important parts aren't emphasized enough

Adaptation from Game: -1
...I was thinking of a 0. I wrote a huge essay on the fact that Umineko the anime betrayed the game; misuse of bgm, misdirection of elements, and not to mention...For the first time in History, the VN readers were SPOILERED by the Anime version!...Yeah, nice Sakutaros there Ange
**Edit:
Someone reminded me of the Yukkuri Maria...Yeah, way to F*** up Rosa-Musou and the touching scene in the Tea Party of EP2...

Editing: 1
...Again, if I can, I'd definitely put down a 0. Eva's habit of hating cigarattes in EP3 was placed in as if it was being rushed...how about just do it as it was in VN? Explaining it on the ship would be much better than to explain it right before Battler steps up to solve the case. And hello? Kinzo Dragon? I don't even know where to start! This is Umineko, not Yu-Gi-Oh!

Overall: 3
I know that most fans are dissatisfied when their favorite work gets an anime adaptation. That they always think the adaptation was not good enough. But when it comes to Umineko, Kon Chiaki must be drunk or something...
...Right now, my personal goal, is to some day recreate the Umineko anime; at least not to f*** it up like how Kon Chiaki did.

To think that she also directed Higurashi...god, yet another great work ruined

Last edited by Nadeor; 2010-01-19 at 22:32. Reason: forgot something
Nadeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 02:34   Link #47
klare

i watched Umineko before Higurashi, so this is the first series that after everyone died, the whole thing restart again, i was very confused at that time

i can summarised the show into 3 parts
- at the start >> very confusing as i dunno it is a murder or magic show
- at the middle >> things start to get better for me, especially the many girls that were introduced
- at the end >> things getting confusing again... i knew it not gonna end in 26 eps

Animation Quality: 7.5 (i like the variety of girls)

Voice Actors: 8 (quite good, Beato is the best)

Script: 6 (too confusing, should be better)

Music: 8 (the OP and ED are above average quality)

Favourite Character: Kanon (a pity he gets less scene in the later part)

Overall: 7/10

i feel this is an ok series, but it will always be compared to Higurashi, which is not even close
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 10:44   Link #48
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Like others i haven't watched the VN and i was really only interested in characters and their depth rather than the the whole mystery aspect.

First arc: 7/10 (Intruiging)
Second arc: 5/10 (Boring "closed rooms" talks and shit)
Third arc: 8/10 (Lots more focus on characters)
Fourth arc: 7/10 (meh)

Overall: 6.75/10. It's definately interesting but there were plenty of boring moments for me aswell.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 13:32   Link #49
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Dunno for VN but Anime version was Poor !

Animation Quality: 8 - Good design .
Voice Actors: 8 - Good voice , Maria is annoying .
Script: 2 - Wth ... Detective's part is poor , story is poor ...
Adaptation from Game: Dunno , i didn't play the game .
Editing: 2 - Meh ...

Overall 4/10 ...

So i assume that there'll be a S2 .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 17:51   Link #50
Aethos

I found season 1 to be great. I know that many claim the anime omitted a lot of character development and hints towards the truth, but I felt the pace made up for it. Besides I bet all the characters will receive their fair share of development next season as well.

Honestly though I've been trying to read the VNs. I'm a fourth of the way through episode 2 and I can't help but think that it's just... so... boring! I mean with as interesting as the anime was I thought what I missed in the VNs would be just as interesting, but instead all I'm feeling is that the VNs are horribly dragged out to the point where I'm actually forcing myself to continue. Which I don't consider a good thing.

So if someone could tell me how I could make the VNs come off more interesting to read then I would be glad to hear it. After all I know that many consider the VNs to be brillant and really well written.
Aethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 18:39   Link #51
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethos View Post
I found season 1 to be great. I know that many claim the anime omitted a lot of character development and hints towards the truth, but I felt the pace made up for it. Besides I bet all the characters will receive their fair share of development next season as well.
I agree and I thought season 1 was perfect. Even though a lot of people who read the VN hate the anime and the DVD sales haven't been great, at least this poll shows that the majority of people on this forum thought it was good or better.
Quote:
Honestly though I've been trying to read the VNs. I'm a fourth of the way through episode 2 and I can't help but think that it's just... so... boring! I mean with as interesting as the anime was I thought what I missed in the VNs would be just as interesting, but instead all I'm feeling is that the VNs are horribly dragged out to the point where I'm actually forcing myself to continue. Which I don't consider a good thing.

So if someone could tell me how I could make the VNs come off more interesting to read then I would be glad to hear it. After all I know that many consider the VNs to be brillant and really well written.
Well, if you like challenges I think that the game will provide that. No one seems to have a clear answer yet so it's absolutely not too late to join in on the fun.
Old 2010-03-20, 00:48   Link #52
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I agree and I thought season 1 was perfect. Even though a lot of people who read the VN hate the anime and the DVD sales haven't been great, at least this poll shows that the majority of people on this forum thought it was good or better.

Well, if you like challenges I think that the game will provide that. No one seems to have a clear answer yet so it's absolutely not too late to join in on the fun.
Well it's not that I find reading the VN a challenge or anything, but it's just that it's not very fun to read it when I have to literally force myself through every section of the story wondering "when are they going to get on with it?!" That was my problem with episode 1 since it took forever just for things to pick up and now I'm just starting to get bored reading through episode 2. Watching the anime was just so much easier because you got the experience of seeing up to episode 4 without having to read through the more boring parts of the VNs. I don't care what people say. I thought the characters were very interesting. They were interesting enough to make me like them. I don't see how they were bland at all.

Honestly if people could watch Higurashi and like that without reading the VNs first there's no real reason at all to judge Umineko on that. Even then I would say that I found Higurashi far more interesting than Umineko anyways. Ryukishi seems to be trying to cram a lot more into each episode of Umineko considering his much larger cast. Even in the VNs I'm sure Higurashi would work much better because the cast was smaller and a lot more manageable. So it could be that I'm finding the Umineko VNs boring because he's trying to cram development for 18 characters into each episode. Which really hurts the story more than helps it.
Old 2010-03-20, 02:59   Link #53
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Do you like reading VN's? Umineko is pretty hard to read if you havnt read VN's before. If you dislike reading VN's then maybe you wont like umineko. I always found umineko a lot more interesting than higurashi and most people that have read both seems to agree with me. Its actually also possible that umineko isnt as entertaining for you anymore after watching the anime.
sona-nyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 04:02   Link #54
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanyuuChan View Post
Do you like reading VN's? Umineko is pretty hard to read if you havnt read VN's before. If you dislike reading VN's then maybe you wont like umineko.
While I enjoy 07th Expansion's work, many of their scripts are verbose and plodding by any standard (moreso with Umineko than Higurashi). An external editor would probably have a field day trimming and rearranging text.

To enjoy the games, you either have to be very tolerant of pacing issues or be able to look past them in lieu of the strong points (the interwoven mysteries and character revelations).

Quote:
Even then I would say that I found Higurashi far more interesting than Umineko anyways. Ryukishi seems to be trying to cram a lot more into each episode of Umineko considering his much larger cast. Even in the VNs I'm sure Higurashi would work much better because the cast was smaller and a lot more manageable. So it could be that I'm finding the Umineko VNs boring because he's trying to cram development for 18 characters into each episode. Which really hurts the story more than helps it.
You might not be alone in your opinion. On aggregate user review sites, Higurashi episodes typically score a good 7-10% higher than Umineko, so it's just better received in general.

Quote:
After all I know that many consider the VNs to be brillant and really well written.
They're skillfully and meticulously planned, but hardly well-written (aside from a handful of emotional scenes, nothing's overly horrible though). In the fields of games, visual novels, and light novels, you won't find many writers who're particularly skilled in prose or scenario structure. They're often all over the place, although that doesn't prevent their stories from finding audiences.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 04:51   Link #55
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanyuuChan View Post
Do you like reading VN's? Umineko is pretty hard to read if you havnt read VN's before. If you dislike reading VN's then maybe you wont like umineko. I always found umineko a lot more interesting than higurashi and most people that have read both seems to agree with me. Its actually also possible that umineko isnt as entertaining for you anymore after watching the anime.
Actually Umineko is the first VN I've ever tried to read really.

But that's not to say I hate Umineko. I love Umineko. When I watched the anime I was really engrossed in it, and wondering what would happen next to all the characters. I found every character to be very interesting, and someone I wanted to know more about. I know people say that the adults were bland and devoid of character development but honestly I liked them. I actually found them to be interesting and I actually felt something for those characters. Something I wouldn't feel if they were truly bland and two-dimensional.

To me I just feel the anime has a lot better pacing where it doesn't drag all over the place and divert from the plot every five minutes like the VN does. It gets kinda annoying too sometimes when the characters start talking about other subjects that supposedly have something to do with a character, but in the end it just seems like they're having a philosophical discussion. For instance in episode 1 reading through hours of the whole debate if there's a 19th person just got old after a while, but maybe that's because I pretty much know all those arguments already. That and when they randomly got into subjects like if Maria has a split personality. It's just distracting and in the end all those distractions just cause me to lose interest. Heck even the good natured moments like the school festival scene in episode 2 tend to seem very distracting. It just feels like every scene in Umineko moves at a snails pace.

But when the plot moves it really moves and my interest gets peaked again, but I don't want to have to wade through so many irrelevant theoretical discussions just to reach the parts of the story that are actually important.

Quote:
While I enjoy 07th Expansion's work, many of their scripts are verbose and plodding by any standard (moreso with Umineko than Higurashi). An external editor would probably have a field day trimming and rearranging text.

To enjoy the games, you either have to be very tolerant of pacing issues or be able to look past them in lieu of the strong points (the interwoven mysteries and character revelations).
Well I'm guessing I'm just very impatient then. I'm not even sure if I'd get bored reading the Higurashi VN's. I'd like to say I wouldn't because the cast is smaller meaning it probably won't drag as much. Then again I could be wrong right? I guess I'd just be happy if Umineko actually had a good pace to it.

Quote:
You might not be alone in your opinion. On aggregate user review sites, Higurashi episodes typically score a good 7-10% higher than Umineko, so it's just better received in general.
That's not to say Umineko is bad though, but the large cast does hurt it a lot. I think I understand now when I've been told that having large casts can be a bad thing for a writer. Because trying to give focus on so many characters at once can be a pain to the actual reader, and cause them to lose interest fast.

Quote:
They're skillfully and meticulously planned, but hardly well-written (aside from a handful of emotional scenes, nothing's overly horrible though). In the fields of games, visual novels, and light novels, you won't find many writers who're particularly skilled in prose or scenario structure. They're often all over the place, although that doesn't prevent their stories from finding audiences.
True. I love the characters and the plot, and I love the twists. Basically I love Ryukishi's vision for Umineko, but the writing really needs to improve. I'd say I'm part of Umineko's audiance, but just for the anime as it seems to be the medium where I can most enjoy the series.

Then again I'm sure for speed readers it'd be quite easy to plod through all of Umineko no problem. Me being visually impaired I tend to read at a slower pace thus it might take me a week or two to finish a book a speed reader could finish in two days. Kinda makes me wish there was an audio track of someone reading it for me. It would make things go a lot faster for sure.
Old 2010-03-21, 07:36   Link #56
StainGlass

Quote:

I'm going to be honest and agree with you for some of the VN. I found the first half of episode 1 incredibly boring that I forced my way through it too. Towards the end it really picked up for me and then back to boring for the beginning of Episode 2. There are some tedious moments in the other episodes (I guess it depends on what you find interesting), but as a whole the VN became very enjoyable. I do think it gets a lot better.

Anime review
The VN was all round a better experience for me, but I still enjoyed the anime. There were disappointing aspects such as weak scenes and character portrayal, massive cuts etc... but being able to watch it in full animation with the voice actors and all made up for that. I don’t think it works well as a stand-alone though; I read the VN half way through the anime because I was getting confused.

Voting purely on enjoyment I’d give it an 8 or 9. Voting on quality would be a different matter so I wont bother, I liked it so that's enough =)
StainGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-21, 18:09   Link #57
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainGlass View Post
I'm going to be honest and agree with you for some of the VN. I found the first half of episode 1 incredibly boring that I forced my way through it too. Towards the end it really picked up for me and then back to boring for the beginning of Episode 2. There are some tedious moments in the other episodes (I guess it depends on what you find interesting), but as a whole the VN became very enjoyable. I do think it gets a lot better.

Anime review
The VN was all round a better experience for me, but I still enjoyed the anime. There were disappointing aspects such as weak scenes and character portrayal, massive cuts etc... but being able to watch it in full animation with the voice actors and all made up for that. I don’t think it works well as a stand-alone though; I read the VN half way through the anime because I was getting confused.

Voting purely on enjoyment I’d give it an 8 or 9. Voting on quality would be a different matter so I wont bother, I liked it so that's enough =)
Well I don't know if you'd call the Phoenix Wright series a visual novel, but if you did consider it that I would feel that; that's how a visual novel should be done. I never got bored with the PW series after all. I guess going into Umineko I thought it'd be interesting like the PW games, but maybe I just wasn't made to read visual novels or something... Heck if I know.
Old 2010-03-21, 21:31   Link #58
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Well I don't know if you'd call the Phoenix Wright series a visual novel, but if you did consider it that I would feel that; that's how a visual novel should be done. I never got bored with the PW series after all. I guess going into Umineko I thought it'd be interesting like the PW games, but maybe I just wasn't made to read visual novels or something... Heck if I know.
Phoenix Wright isn't really a visual novel, since it's a lot more interactive than most are.

As far as Umineko's VN goes, it does drag on. But honestly, intake as much as you can. A well-known theory on writing is that every word in a story is there for a reason. In short, there is no unimportant scene - especially in a mystery story, when you see a scene it is shown for a specific reason and shouldn't be treated as insignificant.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 21:16   Link #59
Aethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Phoenix Wright isn't really a visual novel, since it's a lot more interactive than most are.

As far as Umineko's VN goes, it does drag on. But honestly, intake as much as you can. A well-known theory on writing is that every word in a story is there for a reason. In short, there is no unimportant scene - especially in a mystery story, when you see a scene it is shown for a specific reason and shouldn't be treated as insignificant.
Well I suppose trying to read all the VNs in one sitting doesn't help much either.
Old 2010-04-23, 09:27   Link #60
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Animation Quality: 8
I liked the character designs very much, and hope they'll keep using them. The animation was usually good and didn't hurt the eyes. Notable exceptions are Maria's "creepy" faces, that were mostly funny and/or ugly. That moe fang in the first few episodes also kind of turned me off, especially when used in "creepy" mode. They clearly overdid the expressions, maybe in a Higurashi fashion, but in that anime it didn't stand out because the animation was overall ugly anyway, and kind of fit it actually. Also, the embarrassingly huge breasts they put on every female (well not the lolis). Though there was nothing else wrong with the animation, the feel inside the mansion was a little dull to me. The backgrounds were quite generic, and adding more contrast between light and dark could have added to the atmosphere.

This was really the high point of the anime, and I liked like every one of the voice actors. Though Uu-uus could have been a little less annoying, and Leviathan's voice was too deep for her character in my opinion. Yeah, and I totally expected Miki Itou to voice Eva, I could almost imagine that voice while reading the VN.

Music: 9
The opening by Akiko Shikata was great, and I'll keep listening to it for a long time. The ending was "quite something", it fit in the idea of a mad Kinzo singing it. That song however doesn't belong on the list of my favourites, but good enough as an ending music for this series. The VN's score is one of it's reputable factors, and Deen was kind to include some of our favourite tracks. Some music were overused (Suspicion) and some I was looking for were left out of their scenes. The music was terribly low at some points, making the epic music count to nothing. But it isn't always so, and when listening to the soundtrack they've released, I can say that the whole package is pretty good actually. Great music, but questionable directing.

Script: 7
Because the anime hurried the beginning, there's no way anime-only watcher would have no idea what to think about a character before they already started dying. And after that too they didn't get a lot of development. Because of cramming a lot of source text in 26 episodes, it is understandable it came out a bit confusing (while the concept of repeating worlds and magic was confusing already). It was still Umineko though, and the plot is great. I think it brought up the mystery and battle scenes up acceptably, but the atmosphere was lacking in terms of depth and the horror. Didn't give any chills like VN or Higurashi.

Adaptation from Game: 6
As already said in the music section, it didn't make full potential of the score. The characters I loved from the novels were misinterpreted, and it lacked character development because of the need to stick 4 long stories into 26 episodes, making the characters two-dimensional. Most of the humour was left out. The jokes were left at the level of Battler being a pervert +Maria's funny faces and bouncing breasts. I think most important scenes were left in (though some hurried). It kept the overall idea of the series, bringing up the mystery, and I still felt like this was the same Rokkenjima I read of. I liked the anime as an extra supplement for the VN or manga, seeing your favourite scenes animated, people voiced and all that, but on it's own it doesn't stand very strong.

Overall Score: 8
Great story and voice actors, good enough animation but misuse of too much content for 26 episodes.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote