AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-02-25, 16:14   Link #1
Sofen
Banned

Funimation is kinda weird

I mean some series have actual good dubs, Hellsing to mention a few of them. But i can't shake how weird most of them are. I prefer honestly 4kids because atleast i feel it was just amusing to listen to and there is one thing they did right... they actually did sound like females when they voiced females over to english.

Well this is the case with most english dubs, like why do they have to make females sound like 9 year olds? I know Japanese has an excuse because thats their natural voice in their language, but in English there is no excuse. So i don't get it when a female who is 18 or 21 years old to sound like she is 9, or any teenager without sounding like a 15 year old teenager in english. In Baccano for example they try to make them sound clueless and kinda dumb. Which i guess would be Japanese humor of some of the characters, but it could have some english consistency of native english to understand the joke.

But i am just wondering what you think?
Sofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-27, 22:13   Link #2
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Uh......

You prefer 4kids? Bye.

Also, pretty sure more Japanese VAs probably don't have high pitched voices. That's why they're ACTORS. Same with English VAs.
Old 2016-02-28, 07:34   Link #3
Sofen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Uh......

You prefer 4kids? Bye.

Also, pretty sure more Japanese VAs probably don't have high pitched voices. That's why they're ACTORS. Same with English VAs.
Hmm well just in some cases they sound kinda better.

Although some characters are pretty interesting though
So i don't wanna ham it too much with the voices.
Sofen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-29, 04:12   Link #4
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Uh......

You prefer 4kids? Bye.

Seconded. Although Japanese women IN GENERAL have higher-pitched voices than Caucasians, there really aren't a lot of Japanese and English VAs with higher-pitched normal speaking voices than any of their roles. Such few examples include Chiaki Omigawa and Monica Rial.

I was really shocked to hear Chiaki-san's normal speaking voice when I compared it to her deeper voice as Maka Albarn from Soul Eater.

Part of the reason why Monica tends to get pigeonholed a lot into cute loli roles is her normal speaking voice being THAT high.

I actually find it cool that English VAs can closely match the Japanese voices despite the latter being notoriously fast-paced* and high-pitched, but just as in the Japanese dubs, it gets really annoying when the way English voices ham it either don't fit the characters or simply hurts the ears.

* Native Japanese speakers tend to speak REALLY FAST compared to English speakers.

TL;DR: Yes, Funi can be weird at times, but most of the time they are so good it doesn't even matter.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-29, 11:13   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Native Japanese speakers tend to speak REALLY FAST compared to English speakers.
Jessica Carvello deserved an award for her work as Excel in Excel Saga. The Japanese seiyuu Mitsuishi Kotono set a high standard with her warp-speed performance in that role. Carvello managed to keep up for thirteen episodes but damaged her voice in the process and had to be replaced with Larissa Wolcott.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-29, 20:04   Link #6
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Jessica Carvello deserved an award for her work as Excel in Excel Saga. The Japanese seiyuu Mitsuishi Kotono set a high standard with her warp-speed performance in that role. Carvello managed to keep up for thirteen episodes but damaged her voice in the process and had to be replaced with Larissa Wolcott.
I read that Excel was really that hyper. You know a voice role is hard when you damage your vocal cords acting it.

By the way, when I said Japanese speakers tend to talk faster, that's in general. I'm pretty sure Jessica Calvello pulled off Excel pretty well. Is she back in voice acting, by any chance?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-01, 10:49   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
By the way, when I said Japanese speakers tend to talk faster, that's in general. I'm pretty sure Jessica Calvello pulled off Excel pretty well. Is she back in voice acting, by any chance?
According to ANN, she voiced the main girl, Hajime, in the English version of Gatchaman Crowds and had roles in Attack on Titan and Girls und Panzer.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote