AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-08-30, 20:22   Link #8221
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Pentagon may take legal action against SEAL author
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-30-20-56-53

New life for decades-old Wis. cheddar blocks
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-30-17-17-36
Old 2012-09-04, 04:15   Link #8222
JokerD

In Rus.... no, in India this time:
Teachers play truant in India's schools
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 22:14   Link #8223
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
We have some mass transit systems. But because of just how spead out the major metropolitan areas are on the West Coast, some of it is impractical.
A spread out area does make serving with Mass Transit a bit more difficult, but it's hardly a game breaker. In fact, geography plays a much bigger role, and because almost every major metro on the west coast is bounded in some by either mountains/rugged terrain (almost everywhere save for Las Vegas) or bodies of water (all the coastal cities and some inland ones like Sacramento and Salt Lake City) the geographic pinch points they create have become boons for Mass Transit ridership.

Quote:
The idea of bullet trains to get from San Francisco to Los Angeles has been brought up before. But some consider it a waste of money just to get from one major city to another when it is 400 miles away and you have airports handling that already in 45 minute hops.
IT'S NOT 45 MINUTES WHEN YOU HAVE TO ARRIVE AT THE FUCKING AIRPORT 3 HOURS AHEAD OF TIME TO GET THROUGH SECURITY. Now to be more civil, it's not just San Francisco and Los Angles, technically it's: San Francisco, San Mateo County, Palo Alto, San Jose, Gilroy, Merced, Fresno, Hanford, Bakersfield, Palmdale, San Fernando, and Los Angeles that are getting served in the first phase, with extensions to Sacramento, Orange County and San Diego to be built in later phases, and the private effort to connect to Las Vegas. That's a much bigger project connecting a whole people, especially considering that doing nothing would cost even more.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 23:00   Link #8224
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it use to be 45 minutes before paranoia hit the airplane.

Still quicker than the 7 hours or more drive. and certainly more than the 11 or so hours on the Coastal Starlight.
Old 2012-09-04, 23:06   Link #8225
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Meh, forget Cal, I want a maglev going between Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston.

We got much bigger land mass problems here, and with rising gas prices, it's only going to get worse.
Old 2012-09-04, 23:12   Link #8226
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is the distance worth the expense? Can it serve the towns under its route? I know a lot of Texas is flat, especially near the eastern state border.

And to this the other question...what powers the maglev? What source does its power come from? Will it solve a pollution problem, or just localize it near the powerplants.
Old 2012-09-04, 23:15   Link #8227
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Is the distance worth the expense? Can it serve the towns under its route? I know a lot of Texas is flat, especially near the eastern state border.

And to this the other question...what powers the maglev? What source does its power come from? Will it solve a pollution problem, or just localize it near the powerplants.
If we make use of the looming megavolcano under Yellowstone (and several states) there will be plenty of energy
Old 2012-09-04, 23:17   Link #8228
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

While i really like shinkansen to replace airplanes in future. However, how is the security on bullet train network comparing to airport (in other countries)? Do they also take the same approximate time as airplane (e.g. 3 hours) to process?
Well i guess in theory, terrorists can't just ride the whole train and crash into the Pentagon like they did with airplanes, so maybe the security won't have to be as tight? But won't it be the same blowing up a plane or a train (in worst case scenario)

PS: on energy problem, i think it should not be a problem, because energy using for trains (move things on smooth surface) will always much lower than for airplanes (levitate and move the same mass). And big power plant will always more energy efficiency that the plane engines.
Old 2012-09-05, 00:28   Link #8229
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Use Mt. Doom (Yellowstone) as power. I like it.
Old 2012-09-05, 00:29   Link #8230
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
While i really like shinkansen to replace airplanes in future. However, how is the security on bullet train network comparing to airport (in other countries)? Do they also take the same approximate time as airplane (e.g. 3 hours) to process?
Well i guess in theory, terrorists can't just ride the whole train and crash into the Pentagon like they did with airplanes, so maybe the security won't have to be as tight? But won't it be the same blowing up a plane or a train (in worst case scenario)

PS: on energy problem, i think it should not be a problem, because energy using for trains (move things on smooth surface) will always much lower than for airplanes (levitate and move the same mass). And big power plant will always more energy efficiency that the plane engines.
You forget, trains are scheduled to move more frequently than airplanes, so the overall costs may be higher.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 00:34   Link #8231
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
... You get to the station with your ticket, validate it at a machine, and climb into the train? And maybe during the trip a controller checks that you have your ticket? You spend more time walking to your seat than worrying about security.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 00:40   Link #8232
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For pollution I think they are thinking about cars more than airplanes.
Old 2012-09-05, 00:59   Link #8233
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You forget, trains are scheduled to move more frequently than airplanes, so the overall costs may be higher.
Not for long distance bullet trains through, isn't it? As the only reason trains provide more frequent trips than airplanes are because:
  • it provide more trips for more customers (valid reasons)
  • it make the trip planning more convenient for users, as it was subsidized by the government to get people off the road (can't really apply for long distance trip) or away from other alternatives (airplanes/cars, but it will save fuel/ energy consumption in this case)
And they can just make less trip per day/ or less trip during non-peak hours, as no way that it can't compete with airplanes when it comes to infrequency. I think the biggest problem with shinkansen is still due to high initial investment, and the importance of desk-top study on: a) the demand of long-term trips versus b) investment costs/ other risks. Basically quite an intensive engineering/designing alternative (governmental sector+contractors), rather than expanding the current air trips model (private sector)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... You get to the station with your ticket, validate it at a machine, and climb into the train? And maybe during the trip a controller checks that you have your ticket? You spend more time walking to your seat than worrying about security.
So there's no special security on shinkansen comparing to normal trains? Do you have to send your luggage for security check like with airplanes?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2012-09-05 at 01:14.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 01:03   Link #8234
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Not for long distance bullet trains through, isn't it? As the only reason trains provide more frequent trips than airplanes are because:
  • it provide more trips for more customers (valid reasons)
  • it make the trip planning more convenient for users, as it was subsidized by the government to get people off the road (can't really apply for long distance trip) or away from other alternatives (airplanes/cars, but it will save fuel/ energy consumption in this case)

So there's no special security on shinkansen comparing to normal trains? Do you have to send your luggage for security check like with airplanes?
I've never had luggage check while using shinkansens.
They do check your ticket though.

We also have a lot less terrorism to worry about, and no example of a bomb attack ever. Just a case of gas attack way back.
Old 2012-09-05, 01:05   Link #8235
Sumeragi
Banned

And that was in a subway, which is far more populated and enclosed.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 01:09   Link #8236
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Exactly.
Bombing a shinkansen is just counterproductive by comparison.

You'd get WAY better frag counts results elsewhere.
Old 2012-09-05, 01:15   Link #8237
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

risingstar3110: I was talking about France, but no, no security checks.

Re: terroristm: We've had a few subway attacks 20 years ago. Oh, and weren't there big attacks in UK and spain a few years ago?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 03:24   Link #8238
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
No. It's really just taking a train, except after a few hours you're suddenly in the other side of Japan.

The USA's problems with the maglev stuff is more complicated than just not building them though. The thing with Japan, France, and the rest of the civilized world (*cough*) is that when you get off that Shinkansen or TGV or the London-Paris Eurostar, you have something else to ride on to go from the big train station in the center of the city to where you need to be. In the USA, what's the point of catching a ride on that speedy SF-LA maglev if you can't go anywhere in the cities themselves without a car? (Though to be fair it's not like air travel don't have that problem, but that's why Americans often do road trips instead...)

Metro then maglev, and by the angels Los Angeles really, really needs a metro.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 03:40   Link #8239
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

See, when I get off a train almost anywhere in the world:
1) it has gone somewhere I'm going or
2) it has connections to other forms of transport
3) it isn't located in some rats ass dump part of town where kidneys are harvested
4) it isn't taking second place in scheduling to every freight train, meaning the passenger trains almost never get anywhere on time.

I spend a fair amount of time in downtown Los Angeles. The metro systems, light rail, and buses are *almost* good for getting around but they don't run on a consistent schedule 24/7. The train station to other cities does connect to it at least. Same with Portland, both the train station and airport are directly connected to the local rail/trolley systems.

But it is all amazingly fractured compared to many other regions.
Old 2012-09-05, 07:04   Link #8240
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Chairs placed by Eastwood cutout on Calif. trail
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-04-23-53-48

Tags
humor