AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-19, 08:28   Link #221
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Ami's faked personality is still present, but I can safely say her real "spoiled princess" side has shown more bluntness and empathy than ever before, especially in Ep 11 and 12.

Instead of Kitamura being the mastermind of everything, it might be Ami who would twist everything to (her own) perfection.. Right now, she's observing the social landscape, thinking of an intricate plan...... before landing a checkmate
Kitamura is an emo in disguise. He is rather dumb and he is not mastermind to anything, thats one thing for sure.
Old 2008-12-19, 09:47   Link #222
wistfulloner

Haha, no way! If you do notice, Kitamura is the only one before (and sometimes after) Ep6 that actually is conscious of what really happens around him. It seems if there's anyone in the cast who potentially has the ability to change the direction of the plot, it would be him.

I can tell that you're more into the novel version of the story.
Old 2008-12-19, 12:05   Link #223
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Both of you are looking at it too superficially.

Kitamura is a smart person, he is depicted as being organised and hard working, he can plan and get things done.

Kitamura is also dumb, he is dumb to people's feelings and especially his own, like many teenagers are.

Both sides are part of Kitamura, it's a typical character archtype too - the high IQ person with low EQ, the imperfect perfect person so to speak (and ToraDora is all about these types of conflicting personalities), you can't have one but not the other because that breaks the character archtype.
Old 2008-12-19, 12:17   Link #224
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I think we should get back to Ami...Kitamura does have his own thread. :P
Old 2008-12-19, 12:48   Link #225
wistfulloner

Okay, but I never said Kitamura was smart. I'm saying that he has the uncanny ability to be almost aware of everything, almost like a prophet....

Anyway, back on topic, I'm a bit skeptical of Ami's sudden change in personality. Could it be that she's really resigned to being less bitchy and more empathetic, or is she plotting something to get Ryuji again?
Old 2008-12-19, 13:06   Link #226
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
You are just too paranoid/suspicious really.
Old 2008-12-19, 14:26   Link #227
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
You are just too paranoid/suspicious really.
Hey, I'm just wondering. Can't be too sure of such things ya know.
Old 2008-12-19, 15:37   Link #228
Voitan

I don't think Ami's change in personality is that sudden. You see her drop her ditzy personality gradually as the episodes go on whenever she's dealing with Ryuuji.
Old 2008-12-19, 15:52   Link #229
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Ami doesn't necessarily have anything against Ryuuji. She hasn't tried anything mean against him, maybe a trick or two but that's it. Lately in more episodes, they have been closer and there relationship has been better. Out of the main five in the series, they probably understand each other the best. (On a social level perhaps)

It's Taiga who Ami resents. Ami just doesn't like how Ryuuji defends Taiga and spends almost all of his time with her. Especially because she flipflops between satisfied and unsatisfied so often. She has really changed and her development has shown a lot of impact. She wasn't too rude to Taiga in the 12th Episode.
Old 2008-12-19, 16:18   Link #230
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Welll, Ami was bribed with a very rare and expensive chocolate by Taiga, hence she is not very rude to her in ep 12. Bribes can go a long way.
Old 2008-12-19, 16:35   Link #231
r0cawearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Welll, Ami was bribed with a very rare and expensive chocolate by Taiga, hence she is not very rude to her in ep 12. Bribes can go a long way.
Previously, when Taiga was commanding Ami with the "photos" or "videos" of her, Ami was extremely rude to her. that bribe to her would be even more than just an expensive chocolate. its obviously a huge difference from now and before.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:34   Link #232
typhonsentra

I think a lot of the appeal of Ami is just what she says in this episode, she doesn't cling to Ryuuji, she doesn't "Need" him, she simply enjoys his company which makes their relationship more dynamic and less of a plot contrivance ("I love him because he does this or that for me!" or "I love him because he saved me from the the dragon/monster!"). The relationship didn't stem from dependence, it's that they got to know each other over time.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:42   Link #233
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I think a lot of the appeal of Ami is just what she says in this episode, she doesn't cling to Ryuuji, she doesn't "Need" him, she simply enjoys his company which makes their relationship more dynamic and less of a plot contrivance ("I love him because he does this or that for me!" or "I love him because he saved me from the the dragon/monster!"). The relationship didn't stem from dependence, it's that they got to know each other over time.
This, of course, makes it difficult to tell whether their relationship could become "friends" or "lovers", huh?
Old 2008-12-19, 19:15   Link #234
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I believe she is open to both and it is in Ryuji's call to go for which one. Within time limit.
Old 2008-12-20, 00:06   Link #235
Peachys

Ohs, ~ ep 12 enjoyed some possible subtleties with Ami ~

her usual 1-1 talk with Ryuji's are always enjoyable to watch

this time starting off with something on the lines of "How can you scold the girl you like?" whilst closing her eyes while saying it -> to a half opened normal expression

until he says blantly "It's her fault", causing her to open her eyes, a rather surprised expression

~ of course i could simply be reading to much into it, just enjoyed the opporunity to run a little play off the simple conversation

this simple change in her expression would easily could be translated to the more direct shock at how agressive, or blunt he is at the time with his words

or alternatively the shock expression would be from the fact that he did not really refute not liking Kushieda, or dodge the matter as he did in the past. But by simply answering, hes practically admitting to her of what he likes (of course she already knows, but its a whole different level when one opens up and says it)

-- Either way great conversation overall, i personally enjoy the small kicks (and probably make up half of them)

just wondering if anyone happened to analyze her facial expressions more, considering her "masks" facades , in the previous episodes i believe i remember usualy closing her eyes when talking through her true self, or uses it as a switch when going through the modes~ who knows :3

such a enjoyable character to watch and try to figure out
Old 2008-12-20, 00:12   Link #236
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This, of course, makes it difficult to tell whether their relationship could become "friends" or "lovers", huh?
I'm curious if there are other anime characters like Ami who get their triumph/victory/guy/etc in the end. I get the feeling girls like her aren't chosen often, I'd like to be told that wasn't the case but...

EDIT-ADD: OH WAIT! I think Chidori from FMP is a close comparison, though I can't think of any other examples...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachys View Post
dodge the matter as he did in the past.
Probably the case here. Last time she tried to get anything out of him on Kushieda he clammed up and didn't say anything.

Last edited by Voitan; 2008-12-20 at 00:47.
Old 2008-12-20, 14:21   Link #237
random_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Well Ami is the girl who 'walks ahead of you, but not far away.' after all.

Her romance is not possessive, not mind-breaking, not world shattering, not smile bringing (she is not a sunshine girl)... It's the closeness that you helps you to stand up in need. Its a hand that pushes you when you need to take a step, but never clinging onto you.
Exactly. Ami tells Ryuuji that she won't cling him like Taiga and she won't be his sunshine like Minorin. She will take the same path as Ryuuji in love: Be there for the person she loves no matter what and support him whenever he needs it.

A very mature way to take the fact that, the person you like, actually loves another person. I think that as you said, her romance is "not possessive, not mind-breaking, not world shattering, not smile bringing", a very realistic and mature way to see things. I fucking love this character

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I believe she is open to both and it is in Ryuji's call to go for which one. Within time limit.
+1 to this.

She is always open for a major relationship with Ryuuji, it's on his call to make that happen. She told him on Ep. 10 that Ryuuji is "too good" (that he is sooo slow thinking in love ahaha). Ami won't cry for Ryuuji's love, but if he wants to get serious, she will love him as well.
Old 2008-12-20, 17:28   Link #238
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_guy View Post
Exactly. Ami tells Ryuuji that she won't cling him like Taiga and she won't be his sunshine like Minorin. She will take the same path as Ryuuji in love: Be there for the person she loves no matter what and support him whenever he needs it.
I don't think you can interpret it that way. This is basically her saying that she's just like him, except a little more inciteful, while at the same time being a really, really, veiled "so chase after me, dammit" line.

In another sense, it's also Ami removing herself from the triangle (square?).
Old 2008-12-20, 17:46   Link #239
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'd say she's consciously trying to remove herself from the "battle" for Ryuji's affection. Now, I'm not so sure that she will actually succeed in doing so - as her interest in him doesn't seem to diminish, in the least.

Old 2008-12-20, 17:47   Link #240
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I've had this thinking in my mind for quite some time now: The only other instance I think I've ever seen Ami's type of characters was the ever oh-so-annoying local TV dramas from where I came from (self-conceited beauties); however I am glad to know that Ami is a better existence that what the describe TV drama characters were.

Like them, Ami is persistent (if I use that "persistent" word when I relate her with Ryuuji), but unlike them, Ami is actually better than the... TV drama characters which I hate almost all the time to the point that I question myself "why does this TV drama exist anyways?" - they are too arrogant, unwilling to accept defeat that they would attempt even the worst things we could think of (murder, bribery etc - LOL corporate business politics), sometimes too devious that they lack any sense of righteousness (too indulged in own selfish and sometimes dark ambitions that they commit anything that they deem plausible to their cause).

In other words: I'm relieved that Ami is like how we see her right now.

Quote:
I'd say she's consciously trying to remove herself from the "battle" for Ryuji's affection. Now, I'm not so sure that she will actually succeed in doing so - as her interest in him doesn't seem to diminish, in the least.
Maybe, but I'm also thinking that if Ryuuji changed his decisions all of a sudden and goes like, "Ami is fine too..." (sorry, can't think of a better line to describe it) then... poof Ami got herself another chance. And that is what she might be thinking, in my opinion.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Closed Thread

Tags
characters