Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-11-10, 05:52   Link #1
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Smile Tired of Long Running Animes? [Spoiler Risk]

First of all, this thread is not meant to spoil past, currently or ongoing anime series. I just wanted to put precautions. If you can't help yourself to put a spoiler to justice something then put a spoiler tag

Second, opinions are opinions. So be cool, no hot headed here.

Third, don't be offended when somebody says something bad if not good about your favorite anime series. The top statement applies here.

Now to the thread. Can't you get tired of animes that has been running for ages (since college/highschool) , God. I don't need to list the animes because there are so many of them that you knew already.

Personally I watch one anime, the detective boy. I heard its still on going and has many movie versions and a live action. I asked my self, in that long time, did his "girlfriend" already finished college or are there too much crimes that happens on where they are?

So what can you say about them?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 06:59   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Personally, I don't mind long-running series as long as they're well written and not defy logic unlike that 'detective boy' that you mentioned. In 'that' series we can notice the absence of logic like the impossibly many murder cases and characters that didn't grew up even after years of time-line. Of course, shows like Doraemon and Crayon Shinchan is an exception in that department since their plot/story aren't meant to be taken seriously, unlike that 'detective boy'. I also one of those people who don't mind filler as long as they are - once again - well-written. I can even go so far as to forgive the poor animation as long as I can enjoy a good story.
Old 2011-11-10, 07:09   Link #3
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

It's much harder for me to pick up a series, even if it's completed, when it's around 50 episodes long. Such a length is daunting for me, although for those who regularly follow the Big 3, it's probably considered short. 100 episodes is outrageous, but not an impossible venture. Just expect me to delay picking up such a series for a while.

Some manga and anime, like One Piece and Berserk, are apparently just epic in scale and nature and thus need a huge amount of chapters/episodes to contain everything the way the creator wants. However, there are some anime and manga that seem to stretch themselves into oblivion when they could work just as well or better as a shorter series, like Detective Conan and Kochikame. Of course, I'm sure a lot of manga and anime work through long periods of time by some combination of epic storytelling and extension by profit.

I'm not reading any of the above manga, so for long-running series I'm tired of, the only example I can think of at the moment is the Pokemon anime. This thing is a zombie. I mean, yeah, the games are also getting milked to hell and back, but at least they are good, and even arguably improving. The Pokemon anime is made for a younger audience than the games: we're talking 5-year-old kids here. The writing is awful, and the animation is worse than trash. This never-ending series is holding back innovation for Pokemon in the animation front while other childrens' franchises (Precure, Digimon) go FAR beyond anything the Pokemon anime ever dreamed of. Even the Pokemon games are still filled with inspiration. As a Pokemon fan myself, I think the games deserve a better, more respectable adaptation to anime than what we're getting now.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 09:38   Link #4
gsilver

There are a lot of very high quality 26 (heck, or even 13) episode series that I want to watch and haven't yet found the time for. I could watch 20 of them in the time it would take to get caught up on One Piece.

All media competes with all other media for my time, and well, it just doesn't look very economical.

In rare instances, I'll consider series of over 100 episodes (Galaxy Express 999 right now, Legend of the Galactic Heroes eventually, and Kodocha in the past), but even 50 episodes can be a daunting length.
Old 2011-11-10, 10:29   Link #5
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

One Piece is the greatest creation known to man. That is all.

Although titles such as Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter are a worthy time investment. On the other hand, I feel like Bleach and Naruto are just a waste of my time as of late...
Old 2011-11-10, 14:03   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

depends on the anime

Legend of Galactic Heroes - you want to watch all 108 eps.
Dragonball, just watch the first and last ep of each fight.
Old 2011-11-10, 16:49   Link #7
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

I think long runners like Detective Conan or One Piece I feel like its losing its plot since since shows like those type of shows can be wrapped up in like 52 episodes at the longest
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 16:53   Link #8
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Detective Conan probably would because it has little to no continuity. One Piece on the other hand...are you aware of how massive the world in One Piece is? They could spend only 1 episode on each island, and probably still fail to finish it within 52episodes. It would end up a rushed mess.
Old 2011-11-10, 17:04   Link #9
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sailor Moon was 200 episodes.

Space Battleship Yamato was eventually 77 episodes split into three different series (each pretty much self contained plot-wise rather that being seasons). Each one was seperated by time (first in 1974, second in 1978, third in 1980 after two movies)

However I would not mind either coming back again.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-11-11 at 02:04.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 17:07   Link #10
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
To be honest I like long involved stories, and things like the World Masterpiece Theatre series, which are usually 40-50 eps or so, are right up my alley and for me feel "just about right".

More contemporary examples of this might be Kemono no Soujo Erin (50 eps) or the now ongoing Natusume Yuuchinjou series (about 36 eps or so after three seasons, but with another season scheduled in the winter).

Most of the series that run beyond 100 eps are a little too ... well, not hard, but unpleasant (in the sense of it being a chore) for me to follow, though. I often find myself feeling that the story is dragged out too much, so they are not really to my liking.

With stories I tend to like well written, tightly woven material and character development that maximizes the time spent exposing oneself to it (both in written, audial and visual format here) without feeling overly rushed or crudely "edited", if you will.

In the realm of anime I find the 40-50 ep stories most suited to that, but of course there is no guarantee. Sometimes this is done extremely well in 24-26 eps, 11-13 eps, or even a single ep (like a masterfully done OVA, for example).
Old 2011-11-10, 17:56   Link #11
Fuyuno
Banned

Its funny that kids who watched the first episodes of Detective Conan are now full-grown adults and probably have no idea what "anime" is unless they are Japanese.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 18:03   Link #12
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Detective Conan art style still creeps me out. The eyes seem too large and too shiny for some reason.
Old 2011-11-10, 20:30   Link #13
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
One problem about long running animes is the main plot. The author/maker tends to add and add and add new revelations, new characters and new goals. Moving from one focus to another tend back. Argh!

The Detective boy's main objective was to return back to he's true self( height or age?). But as the series progresses (?) the author tends to put moments where the MIB appears which get's Conan's attention then they reappear after 10+ episodes...I see a dirty trick there... it's frustrating, you know.

The Pirate boy's goal is to be the best pirate EVER. I watched it and glad that reached the Grand line.... then what..? He had to fight marines, zombies, arabs etc.. don't know already whats going on...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 20:49   Link #14
mecharobot

I glanced at my top 20 list and around half of my all time favorites are 40 to around 100 episodes long. Some broken into multiple seasons. None longer than that, though.

In that sense I'm not tired of them, but I am tired of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece and have quit watching all of them. I don't make any concious preferences, but shows over standard format seem to have the power to get me care more for the world and characters and it's not like I'm in a hurry. Then again, I've seen 6 episode shows that got me very involved too. Oh, well...
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-10, 21:34   Link #15
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
My mentality is this:

The only reason I enjoy watching anime while they're airing is to join the community while they discuss and speculate on what's going to happen next. Otherwise, I prefer to marathon anime in my own time.

Endless anime (see: Naruto, Bleach, etc) tend to have viewers spread across different points of the anime or the online community tend to have less constructive speculation or discussion to make on the shows, whether this be due to a younger age group or just a simpler, straight forward story. Not to mention the burning hatred you get on a forum like this for even suggesting you might like Naruto - it puts you off trying to discuss it.

So because of that, long-running anime always takes a back seat in my priorities, because they'll always be airing. Forever and ever and ever....
Old 2011-11-10, 21:45   Link #16
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

I notice that this thread is only for anime, not anime and/or manga. I usually have longer tolerance for manga, but as for anime...

52 episodes. Judging by experience, that's my personal limit. Anymore than that I just stop caring. It can be worse if they spend an episode or, God forbids, more, without any significant progression, and having clunky animation that did nothing to sooth the eyes.

There are exceptions to that number though. I lost count on how many episodes of Doraemon and Sinchan I've watched, but those could be excused for several reasons:
1. They're light-hearted comedies.
2. There's not much of a continuity, so you could follow them out of order
3. Childhood nostalgia (yeah, yeah, Sinchan was not supposed to be for kids. I'm not the one who aired it on sunday morning )
Old 2011-11-10, 23:30   Link #17
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well there are some that can go fast like One Piece and Naruto both of them seem to drag on and Bleach should of ending 26eps ago the new arc just seem to much like Yu Yu Hakusho arc of Chapter Black Saga
Old 2011-11-11, 00:01   Link #18
Ludrio D. Zoki
Comfortably Noxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
One problem about long running animes is the main plot. The author/maker tends to add and add and add new revelations, new characters and new goals. Moving from one focus to another tend back. Argh!

The Detective boy's main objective was to return back to he's true self( height or age?). But as the series progresses (?) the author tends to put moments where the MIB appears which get's Conan's attention then they reappear after 10+ episodes...I see a dirty trick there... it's frustrating, you know.

The Pirate boy's goal is to be the best pirate EVER. I watched it and glad that reached the Grand line.... then what..? He had to fight marines, zombies, arabs etc.. don't know already whats going on...
Well I don't know too much about D.C. But the rebirth of old enemies must be a little annoying.

As for Luffy, he has a very simple (or is it...) goal, to be the pirate king.
Reaching the Grand Line was just a step.

Sometimes though, I feel the next morning after watching a particular series (or even arc of a story I'll say to avoid predetermined thoughts) that things are either repetitive, boring, and or... Uhhgh. Very common to see in longer running series.
Old 2011-11-11, 01:59   Link #19
Ermes Marana

Detective Conan is the only long running anime I didn't get tired of.

I like the cases, so I don't get impatient for it to end.

Unlike most long-running series, the pace is almost always consistent. Usually a manga case will get 2 episodes. Longer cases can get 3, but it is very, very rare to get more. So the pace is kind of locked in from the start.

Also, because the show is nicely divided up into cases, you can easily skip the non-manga cases. Unlike shows where you don't know how long the filler will go and if an episode will be all filler or not.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 14:08   Link #20
Random32
Also a Lolicon

If a show needs fillers to get to its epic length, its probably not worth watching. If a show has a huge number of episodes since the story it needs to tell is just that epic (LoGH), then its worth watching. There are lots of exceptions, but I feel that when people are pumping out episodes mainly because a series sells well, the show loses its "purpose."
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote