AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-14, 15:25   Link #1
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Your message must be between 10 and 50000 characters long.

If I manage to condense a message into less than 10 characters, that is a worthy accomplishment.

I'd rather not dilute the pureness of that insight with senseless filler.
Old 2013-08-14, 16:00   Link #2
Haiprbim
Banned

So basically, your point is that having a filter that prevents messages that have 10 characters or less is pointless, or... ?
Old 2013-08-14, 16:34   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

It's to prevent people from creating posts like "Bump" or "Thanks" or "Me too" or "I agree" or other similar things that are outlined in the Rules.

The intention of the forum is to have in-depth discussion, not one-line chat replies.
Old 2013-08-14, 17:19   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

You could disable it on the visitor messages and social clubs, since those pretty much are for chatting. I'd like to be able to post simple "Yes" or "No". Well, it's only a very minor annoyance.
Old 2013-08-14, 17:35   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
You could disable it on the visitor messages and social clubs, since those pretty much are for chatting. I'd like to be able to post simple "Yes" or "No". Well, it's only a very minor annoyance.
I agree with this, on quite a few occasions on VM or social groups I could have used >10 chars for simply answers.
MAL
Old 2013-08-14, 17:38   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I am completely with relentlessflame on this issue. The 10 character limit standard is fairly standard on internet message boards/forums in general, and it's for precisely the reasons that relentlessflame laid out.

I honestly would prefer it not lifted even for Visitor Messages, as I prefer wall discussions to be at least a bit substantive. But I'll admit that it might make sense to lift it for Social Clubs.
Old 2013-08-14, 19:41   Link #7
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
If you can't write nore than 10 characters in your post, you probably should stop posting asap, since there's nothing of value to say. Not even I can be so concise.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-14, 23:33   Link #8
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I am completely with relentlessflame on this issue. The 10 character limit standard is fairly standard on internet message boards/forums in general, and it's for precisely the reasons that relentlessflame laid out.

I honestly would prefer it not lifted even for Visitor Messages, as I prefer wall discussions to be at least a bit substantive. But I'll admit that it might make sense to lift it for Social Clubs.
You don't use your wall for chatting?
Old 2013-08-15, 01:09   Link #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
If you can't write nore than 10 characters in your post, you probably should stop posting asap, since there's nothing of value to say. Not even I can be so concise.
What about when answering a simple question?
Old 2013-08-15, 01:14   Link #10
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yes, ten characters.
Old 2013-08-15, 01:26   Link #11
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I second this. Maybe lover the limits to 5. What are mods opinion on this.
Old 2013-08-15, 01:43   Link #12
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Yes, ten characters.
Um, very simple questions? Surely, a yes/no answer is still a valid answer for certain questions.

Or here:

Q: In what year did the movie The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp came out on theaters?

A1: 2013 (4)

A2: This year (9)

A2: Google it (9)

A3: Bing it (LOL, 6)

A4: Yahoo it (Ok, ok, 8)

But yeah, there's not too many you can say in just 10 characters, and I may have confused characters with words.
Old 2013-08-15, 02:18   Link #13
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Well, thing is, if someone wants to write a meaningless message to bump/say nothing at all, they will just add some padding and do it anyway.

Which leaves only the sincere posters to be obstructed by an otherwise useless 'feature', in the rare but frequent cases this message pops up on them.

I understand the reasoning for the upper limit, but not for the lower limit.
Unless the lower limit is zero to protect us from those satanic posts of negative length!
Old 2013-08-15, 02:52   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You don't use your wall for chatting?
I'd rather wall discussions didn't descend into...

Yo bro! (7 characters)

Wassup? (7 characters)

Yuri! (5 characters)

In what? (8 characters)

YuruYuri (8 characters)

Well duh (8 characters)

plz watch (9 characters)

Ok (2 characters)

Cool (4 characters)

With the 10 character limit, this turns into...

Yo bro! You should be watching YuruYuri! It has yuri in it.

Well duh. Anyway, I'll check it out.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your take on it.

The 10 character limit actually helps ensure that less time is wasted on numerous very short messages that could be conveyed better in longer but much fewer messages. It also means that for a 3rd person checking out somebody else's wall, the context of each VM is less difficult to piece together.

Now, that being said, the "Yo bro!" chain I showed above kinda fits the easy, breezy style of Social Club chats.
Old 2013-08-15, 04:43   Link #15
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I can see some point for PMs, since it shouldn't matter, but not in standard posts. Even outside of it, spam shouldn't be allowed.

Quote:
Um, very simple questions? Surely, a yes/no answer is still a valid answer for certain questions.

Or here:

Q: In what year did the movie The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp came out on theaters?

A1: 2013 (4)

A2: This year (9)

A2: Google it (9)

A3: Bing it (LOL, 6)

A4: Yahoo it (Ok, ok, 8)

But yeah, there's not too many you can say in just 10 characters, and I may have confused characters with words.
Well, some of them could use some punctuation and a longer sentence formatting but that's exactly why these can be part of a single post. It's pretty rare anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Well, thing is, if someone wants to write a meaningless message to bump/say nothing at all, they will just add some padding and do it anyway.
Like I said, there was nothing worth listening to in the first place, especially if they can't bother.

Quote:
Which leaves only the sincere posters to be obstructed by an otherwise useless 'feature', in the rare but frequent cases this message pops up on them.
Nope, it's a useful feature that obstructs useless posts. It's not that hard. I post tons of pointless shit and never have this problem. L2p, I say.

To be honest, I see absolutely no benefit from changing the status quo. But already some negatives.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-08-15, 05:20   Link #16
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Just do something like: Yes!!!!!!11, or Yes~!@@####

Haha, random input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's to prevent people from creating posts like "Bump" or "Thanks" or "Me too" or "I agree" or other similar things that are outlined in the Rules.
Bumppppppp~
Old 2013-08-15, 05:25   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Or, you know, people bumping a thread could actually explain why they're bumping the thread and why they think this old discussion should be renewed. I know if I came across a recently bumped thread, I'd kind of like to have the bumper explain that.

Do we really want to encourage frankly lazy posting habits that negatively affect the board as a whole?

I think its good how the 10 character limit rule implicitly encourages people to put at least a little bit of thought and effort behind their posts.

Even with basic "yes/no" questions there is often an added implicit question.

Ex: "Have you seen SAO (and did you like it)?" "Yes (and I liked it)" or "No (and why do you ask?)"

The 10 character limit draws out the added details that people would probably like to know anyway.
Old 2013-08-15, 05:32   Link #18
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Or, you know, people bumping a thread could actually explain why they're bumping the thread and why they think this old discussion should be renewed. I know if I came across a recently bumped thread, I'd kind of like to have the bumper explain that.
Well, people usually do explain the bumping of the thread, although you must know what the word Bump would mean in the first place.
The action "Bumping" means to bring the thread back to the top, so others can see its current discussion, and most important, the First Post (Starting Post) on it.

AnimeSuki Forums are one of the forums that forbid bumping of any kind, although the action itself only allows others that are so lazy and do not want to search for threads or check pages other than the first one to find out that specific kind of a thread exists.

There is not much we can do about it here, besides, there are plenty of other rules in effect as well besides the bumping. Such as double-posting. Mods tend to fuse multiple posts in a row by a specific user together if that is the case, but it is still not wanted. Now what if it happens that you have made the last post, and the thread falls behind Page 1? You cannot either bump it or post on it, you must edit your last message, and by that not send it to the top.

I have had an idea of creating a "Bump" option just for that, to send a thread with an active maintainer back on top without the need of posting. Only the creator of a thread could use it, as well as only use it once every 30 minutes. I explained everything how this could not be abused in specific, but the idea was then dropped since the rule against bumping stays.
Old 2013-08-15, 05:39   Link #19
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Your message must be between 10 and 50000 characters long.

Lols.... It even appears even if I have a very long post.... when quoted.....
Old 2013-08-15, 17:14   Link #20
Seitsuki
Onee!

Well technically that's not your message, it's someone else's message. Kinda.

Anyway the only time I see this ever being an issue at all is if you really actually want a short snappy post for the effect, in which case you could always just have some random characters at the end in a different colour.