AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-21, 14:54   Link #61
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
LOL Nothing at all... you'll understand soon

Going back to episode speculations...
Spoiler for Thoughts after finishing Novel 4:
x 四券
o 四巻

読み終わったか、おめでとう~。さあ、あとは八巻(涼宮ハルヒの憤慨)が発売される前に既刊全巻を読破する こと。ちなみに憤慨の発売日は04/28だそうです。( ̄∇ ̄)ノ(Amazon)

Spoiler for volume 4:
Old 2006-04-21, 15:14   Link #62
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
Oh no, I think you've mistaken the intent, those pics are to be released on the web so that Mikuru fans would burn you at the stake if you don't comply
*copies Haruhi's not-hearing-stuff-she-doesn't-want-to-hear trick*

Once again back to Episode stuff... (gezz why didn't I think of this all at once?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
x 四券
o 四巻

読み終わったか、おめでとう~。さあ、あとは八巻(涼宮ハルヒの憤慨)が発売される前に既刊全 巻を読破する こと。ちなみに憤慨の発売日は04/28だそうです。( ̄∇ ̄)ノ(Amazon)
Ah... 券>巻 That's what you get for trying to hold a coherent thought after a whole nights of no sleep えっ、なんか終わりが見えなくなる気がする... っていうか7日しかないじゃん?! T_T

Quote:
Spoiler for volume 4:
Spoiler:

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by melange; 2006-04-21 at 15:27.
Old 2006-04-21, 18:47   Link #63
Thelastguardian

Quote:
読み終わったか、おめでとう~。さあ、あとは八巻(涼宮ハルヒの憤慨)が発売される前に既刊全巻を読破する こと。ちなみに憤慨の発売日は04/28だそうです。( ̄∇ ̄)ノ
憤慨? That's a pretty strong word .

Vol1 ending does has its appeal- almost like an epic feeling?

Spoiler for novel:

On the other hand, Vol4's

Spoiler for novel:

Maybe KyoAni will pull a rabbit out of a hat and combine those two? (Nah....)
Old 2006-04-21, 18:56   Link #64
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

So the Resentment of Suzumiya Haruhi... (Vehemence of Suzumiya Haruhi?) Vehement > resent?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-22, 01:24   Link #65
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Hmm, volume 1 seems to emphasize 3-years ago a lot, being that
Spoiler:

I'm sensing a critical plot device from that, wonder if it'll play a large role in the anime.
Old 2006-04-22, 01:48   Link #66
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

All of a sudden I had a crazy thought...

Spoiler:

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-22, 01:55   Link #67
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
Hmm, volume 1 seems to emphasize 3-years ago a lot, being that
Spoiler:

I'm sensing a critical plot device from that, wonder if it'll play a large role in the anime.
There's certainly something important about it, but you won't know the details until the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (from vol.3) and Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (vol.4). Both of which should be eventually covered in the anime, so look forward to them.
Old 2006-04-22, 12:28   Link #68
Bloodseeker

I hate it when I can't resist the urge to look inside the spoiler tags. At least I only know about Haruhi. I still have no clue about Mikuru or any of the others...
Old 2006-04-22, 19:49   Link #69
Thelastguardian

*before episode 4 airs*

My hypothesis-

1話 朝比奈ミクルの冒険
2話 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅰ
3話 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅱ
4話 涼宮ハルヒの退屈 I
5話 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅲ
6話 笹の葉ラプソディ
7話 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅳ
8話 涼宮ハルヒの退屈 II
9話 涼宮ハルヒの溜息Ⅰ
10話 涼宮ハルヒの溜息Ⅱ
11話 射手座の日
12話 涼宮ハルヒの消失Ⅰ
13話 涼宮ハルヒの消失Ⅱ
14話 涼宮ハルヒの消失Ⅲ

I have a feeling KyoAni might try to do the following-

intro Yuki=> shows her power with the baseball game => intro Mikuru => shows her power with the bamboon incident => intro Itsuki => shows his power by the dimension demonstration + island => filming

The rest are just wild guesses.

I don't think 涼宮ハルヒの消失 will have three episodes. The book itself is very short (only 2/3 - 3/5 the thickness of 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 volume). Furthermore, the story itself is too short for three episodes. Personally I think the studio can finish it in one episode if they want.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-04-22 at 20:07.
Old 2006-04-22, 20:49   Link #70
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I had to get this stuff out of ep3 discussion.

Another interesting explaination to why is it we human typically are dull and are square, thus failing to see quantum indeterminacy in a universe where the interminacy laps on top of one another going from microscopic to macroscopic and it'll go like an inifinite recursion... (von Neumann's crisis)

* Wigner's friend resolves the inconsistency by asserting that human consciousness not only measures the physical world, but physically changes it from an indeterminate state to an absolute environment. This is known as the Consciousness causes collapse theory. (Esse est Percipi, to be is to be perceived!)

* According to the Copenhagen interpretation, humans created the quantum state vector because it was the only known way to describe the subatomic world mathematically, but there is no catastrophe because quantum mechanics doesn't exist in any real sense.

* The Many-worlds interpretation asserts that humans don't notice the indeterminate state of the universe because all possibilities but the one we observe happen in other dimensions that are beyond our ability to directly monitor.

* The Bohm interpretation avoids catastrophe and allows for determinism without splitting the universe into many worlds by asserting that the positions of particles are fixed by latent variables that are definite in cause and effect, but which can only be calculated in terms of probability by humans. (Like how that we don't know the exact formula for drop rate in MMORPG but we do know of the probability for drops)

* The Transactional interpretation allows for only one measurement while also permitting the existence of the entire wavefunction by requiring that the observer only detect the part of the source wave that phases positively with his own advanced wave. (We filter anything else as just noise... or we can't 'see' it)

Spoiler:

Old 2006-04-22, 21:30   Link #71
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
intro Yuki=> shows her power with the baseball game => intro Mikuru => shows her power with the bamboon incident => intro Itsuki => shows his power by the dimension demonstration + island => filming
By island you mean 孤島症候群 (Lone Island Syndrome)? Is there a particular reason for that choice? Because I can't see any reason to do a chapter that's pretty much completely unrelated to the rest of the story, and it didn't really show Koizumi's power (or anyone else's, for that matter) either.

Quote:
I don't think 涼宮ハルヒの消失 will have three episodes. The book itself is very short (only 2/3 - 3/5 the thickness of 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 volume). Furthermore, the story itself is too short for three episodes. Personally I think the studio can finish it in one episode if they want.
Actually, volume 1 has 300 pages, and volume 4 has 250. Shoushitsu might look "short" if you only look at the book thickness, but it's really only 50 pages (1/6th) shorter than Yuutsu. If you ask me, I'd rather see Kyoani spend 4 or more episodes to flesh out Shoushitsu to it's fullest, rather than go for a summarized version in 1 or 2 episodes.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-22 at 22:17.
Old 2006-04-22, 22:12   Link #72
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
By island you mean ????? (Lone Island Syndrome)? Is there a particular reason for that choice? Because I can't see any reason to do a chapter that's pretty much completely unrelated to the rest of the story, and it didn't really show Koizumi's (or anyone else's, for that matter) either.

Actually, volume 1 has 300 pages, and volume 4 has 250. Shoushitsu might look "short" if you only look at the book thickness, but it's really only 50 pages (1/6th) shorter than Yuutsu. If you ask me, I'd rather see Kyoani spend 4 or more episodes to flesh out Shoushitsu to it's fullest, rather than go for a summarized version in 1 or 2 episodes.
Agreed on both accounts. Lone Island Syndrome was not a particularly interesting story especially once it was revealed what 'actually happened' "All that set up and then this?" was my reaction. All it really does is showcase the organization that backs Itsuki. The only thing I liked about it was
Spoiler for Novel 3: Lone Island Syndrome:

Shoushitsu was the story that hit me the most emotionally. I really want them to go into Kyon's emotions as much as possible. If Shoushitsu is done as well as the novel is then it would be the 'pay off' arc for all the people who have grown accustomed to and fallen in love with the characters. Even if they don't use the predicted 4 eps, to squeeze Shoushitsu into 3 eps would be the absolute minimum. 1 or 2 eps won't do it justice...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by melange; 2006-04-22 at 22:43.
Old 2006-04-23, 01:46   Link #73
Thelastguardian

Quote:
By island you mean 孤島症候群 (Lone Island Syndrome)? Is there a particular reason for that choice? Because I can't see any reason to do a chapter that's pretty much completely unrelated to the rest of the story, and it didn't really show Koizumi's power (or anyone else's, for that matter) either.
Well, it does show how much resources "the Organization" can muster if nothing else. But it is good material for a filler episode.

Quote:
Since I don't have the actual book with me at the moment (not here with me right now), I can't really count the pages. What I do remember is my reaction when I opened the package
"...it's so thin! OMG!"
*grabs the first volume and lay them side-by-side*
"WTF I got cheated out of my targeted enjoy time!"
lol. But then again, the same thinning happened to Shak. no Shana novels, so.... :^)

But 4 episodes? That is definitely way too long.

Spoiler for you mean something like that?:

That is a bit long(a bit long?!) drawn out for my taste. I think they can manage it with 2 episodes. The studio doesn't want to slow the series down, after all/
Old 2006-04-23, 02:30   Link #74
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Well, it does show how much resources "the Organization" can muster if nothing else. But it is good material for a filler episode.
You want a good filler episode? Endless Eight: Fanservice + one of the better short-stories + a good example for Yuki's reason to do what she did in Shoushitsu.

Quote:
But 4 episodes? That is definitely way too long.

Spoiler for you mean something like that?:

That is a bit long(a bit long?!) drawn out for my taste. I think they can manage it with 2 episodes. The studio doesn't want to slow the series down, after all/
I don't see anything wrong with that. After all, Kyoani's been taking their time so far with Yuutsu too, and the fans couldn't be happier with the pace (besides the fact that episode 3 got cut off at a weird place).

It's true that Yuutsu, as an "introduction" volume, contained more seperate (character specific) events, which makes it appear to have more contents than Shoushitsu. But really, other than the fact that Shoushitsu was focused only on a single incident, there are just as much contents in that volume as there are in Yuutsu. Personally, there has been more memorable events in Shoushitsu than Yuutsu for me, and for it to be summarized in only 1 or 2 episodes will definately not be doing it justice.
Old 2006-04-23, 02:54   Link #75
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
I don't think showing the "Organization"s resources is as solid a reason for using it. The only caveat I can think of right now for the use of Lone Island Syndrome in this season is so that in a possible 2nd season the Snow Mountain (sic) chapter can be used.

Quote:
You want a good filler episode? Endless Eight: Fanservice + one of the better short-stories + a good example for Yuki's reason to do what she did in Shoushitsu.
Even if its not Endless Eight (my 1st choice too now after reading it), another good fillerish episode would be The Day of Sagittarius: possible full SOS-brigade cosplay op + also hints at Yuki's reason.

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with that. After all, Kyoani's been taking their time so far with Yuutsu too, and the fans couldn't be happier with the pace (besides the fact that episode 3 got cut off at a weird place).

It's true that Yuutsu, as an "introduction" volume, contained more seperate (character specific) events, which makes it appear to have more contents than Shoushitsu. But really, other than the fact that Shoushitsu was focused only on a single incident, there are just as much contents in that volume as there are in Yuutsu. Personally, there has been more memorable events in Shoushitsu than Yuutsu for me, and for it to be summarized in only 1 or 2 episodes will definately not be doing it justice.
Shoushitsu's "single incident" weaves together many of the disparate themes lying around in many of the earlier stories including links to Yuuutsu, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Mysterious Sign etc. I am interested in how Kyo-ani will make it feel as disorientating and distressing for the viewer as the incident itself is to Kyon.

Old 2006-04-23, 21:39   Link #76
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Sorry for the double post...

Well with the latest episode Sushi-Y's hypothesis of Yuu-utsu taking 6 eps is more or less confirmed. Then again since Kyo-ani has demonstrated the willingness to just jump forward and back almost willy-nilly along the timeline I guess it throws all trying to predict when each story in the episode lineup goes out the window Well here's my take on what stories will appear based on op/ed/website etc conjecture...

01 朝比奈ミクルの冒険
02 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅰ
03 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 II
04 涼宮ハルヒの退屈
05 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 III
06 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 IV
07 ミステリックサイン (based on op "Emiri", placed here to mess up timeline like 退屈 did)
08 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 V
09 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 VI (based on "ep7" and op "また図書館に")
10 笹の葉ラプソディ
11 エンドレスエイト (based on website "15498") or 射手座の日 (no basis)
12 涼宮ハルヒの消失 I
13 涼宮ハルヒの消失 II
14 涼宮ハルヒの消失 III

As such there doesn't seem to be enough episodes to put in all the stories that do have some sort of op/ed/website basis for them within 14 episodes without limiting Shoushitsu to 3 episodes.

Old 2006-04-24, 00:34   Link #77
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Sorry for the double post...

Well with the latest episode Sushi-Y's hypothesis of Yuu-utsu taking 6 eps is more or less confirmed. Then again since Kyo-ani has demonstrated the willingness to just jump forward and back almost willy-nilly along the timeline I guess it throws all trying to predict when each story in the episode lineup goes out the window Well here's my take on what stories will appear based on op/ed/website etc conjecture...
I didn't really say Yuutsu would take 6 episodes (although if they want to do the whole volume until the very end, which, by the sound of Koizumi and Kyon's conversation during the baseball match, they will, then 6 would probably be fitting), I thought Yuutsu would probably take 4 or 5 episodes to cover. And (this is just my personal opinion) since Shoushitsu contained just as much content, it too should also take 4 or 5 episodes to cover.

Then again, with this week's episode (with Haruhi's "episode 3" thing in the preview there) it's practically confirmed that Taikutsu (the baseball competition) is indeed the "7th" episode, which means that Yuutsu will more than likely run up to Ⅵ (憂鬱Ⅰ - Ⅵ), since nothing else ocurred between Yuutsu and Taikutsu.

Unlike other non-critical, comedic side-stories (like this weeks baseball tournament) 笹の葉ラプソディ is too important of a story to be "shuffled in" between episodes of another serious story (憂鬱): the viewers will probably be left confused with two simultaneous ongoing events. So I agree with your placement by putting it after all the Yuutsu episodes.

If that's the case, then really... we're not left with much room in the end here. 1 short-story + 3 Shoushitsu episodes... If I really had to pick, I would pick "Endless Eight" over "The Day of Sagittarius". But knowing Kyoani, they're probably capable of dishing out some mind-blowing SF space combat actions if they were to pick "The Day of Sagittarius", so I kinda want to see that too. Either way, I'm sure the one that gets chosen (if at all) will be handled nicely.

As for the 3 Shoushitsu episodes... Ideally I'd preferred 4, but at this point I'm not picky anymore, I'll just shut up and act like the Kyoani believer that I am.
Old 2006-04-24, 01:39   Link #78
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Unless Kyo-ani completely throws us a "Yuki-enhanced curve ball"... Is it possible for them to not do 消失, run with 憂鬱 as the main arc and sprinkle in the filler stories? In terms of no. of stories there's enough to conceivably do that, not to say that it will work of course for then there's no 'nice conclusion' when things are rearranged chronologically...

01 朝比奈ミクルの冒険
02 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅰ
03 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 II
04 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 III
05 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 IV
06 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 V
07 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 VI
08 孤島症候群
09 ミステリックサイン
10 笹の葉ラプソディ
11 エンドレスエイト
12 射手座の日
13 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 I
14 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 II
(not arranged in any order)

About "The Day of Sagittarius", the sci-fi battles I keep on picturing something like whats described in the latter chapters of Ender's Game when Ender and his jeesh each control a group of battleships.

Old 2006-04-24, 15:04   Link #79
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Unless Kyo-ani completely throws us a "Yuki-enhanced curve ball"... Is it possible for them to not do 消失, run with 憂鬱 as the main arc and sprinkle in the filler stories? In terms of no. of stories there's enough to conceivably do that, not to say that it will work of course for then there's no 'nice conclusion' when things are rearranged chronologically...
That's actually a possible scenario, and one that I hope won't happen. Out of all the novels out so far, 憂鬱 (vol.1), 消失 (vol.4), and 陰謀 (vol.7) are the only stories "serious" enough to be developed as a main plot in the anime. Vol.7 is almost immediately out of the question since it's far too seperated from vol.1 and far too long. Still, if they choose to only focus on vol.1 and cut out vol.4 entirely, then the anime will effectively lose half of its punch: why have only one good story when you can fit two in?

For first-time watchers, this might not matter as much, since they wouldn't really know what they're missing out on anyway; but the absence of 消失 will definately bring disappointment for the novel-readers. Most of the fans out there also generally believe that the anime will use 憂鬱 as the main plot, achieve a "first-half" climax by using its ending, and then finish up with 消失 (a hint would be the Christmas hot-pot shot in the ED) (although you could argue that the actual hot-pot scene didn't happen until Snow Mountain Syndrome) The producers down at Kyoani are also fans of the novel themselves (a reason why they did it), so I hope they know that 消失 is what the fans want and not skip out on it.
Old 2006-04-24, 20:58   Link #80
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Episode 4 basically cemented the fact that Haruhi likes Kyon to whatever degree. Beyond that, we get a small glimpse of Haruhi's power.

So let's feed the speculation machine for a moment, what if say hypothetically, Kyon is "killed" in a future episode, what do you think would transpire from such an act?
Closed Thread