Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-05-02, 09:54   Link #761
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
yes anyone can edit as long as the sentence and meaning remains correct. but preferably you register your self as an editor beforehand in the main page
Oh how do i do that?
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 09:57   Link #762
Kadi
知識の探求者

Yes, everyone can edit.
No, you don't need to register yourself as an editor (I am not registered for Campione, either...). If you still want to do it, edit the project main page and put your name under "Editors".
It is better to have an account on the wiki (and be logged in) unless you want people to know your IP.
And while the Japanese have the last name first (Kusanagi Ichirou, Kusanagi Godou, etc.), we decided to use Western naming order, first name first (Ichirou Kusanagi, Godou Kusanagi). Although some people might not stick to it... even I overlook it from time to time. Feel free to fix the order.

Does anyone know who Sana is? Because I don't...
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 10:04   Link #763
zzhk
Summary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
And while the Japanese have the last name first (Kusanagi Ichirou, Kusanagi Godou, etc.), we decided to use Western naming order, first name first (Ichirou Kusanagi, Godou Kusanagi). Although some people might not stick to it... even I overlook it from time to time. Feel free to fix the order.
Really!? When was the naming order decided?

Also, the Names and Terminology page suggests native ordering -- family name first for Chinese and Japanese, while western names follow western order. That is also what I would prefer.
Leviathan of the Covenant
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 10:04   Link #764
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Quote:
Yes, everyone can edit.
No, you don't need to register yourself as an editor (I am not registered for Campione, either...). If you still want to do it, edit the project main page and put your name under "Editors".
It is better to have an account on the wiki (and be logged in) unless you want people to know your IP.

Does anyone know who Sana is? Because I don't...
Chances are if you dont most of us wont. Mystery translator? Haha
Also sana was mixing between native and western(only one was in western) so i switched it to the native style so as to not confuse others
Old 2012-05-02, 10:10   Link #765
Kadi
知識の探求者

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzhk View Post
Really!? When was the naming order decided?

Also, the Names and Terminology page suggests native ordering -- family name first for Chinese and Japanese, while western names follow western order. That is also what I would prefer.
In the list I kept the Japanese naming order so you can relate them to the kanji. I did italicize first names and write we use western naming order, though. When I put it up for discussion in the terminology thread, nobody said anything against it. If you dislike it, feel free to put it up for discussion again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge
Chances are if you dont most of us wont. But which volume? Or ss?
Sorry, I don't get the question. You register as an editor for the whole series, not for individual volumes, and what you work on is up to yourself, anyway.

Edit: DUHHH, you're cheating! Editing posts is mean!
Old 2012-05-02, 10:11   Link #766
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Quote:
In the list I kept the Japanese naming order so you can relate them to the kanji. I did italicize first names and write we use western naming order, though. When I put it up for discussion in the terminology thread, nobody said anything against it. If you dislike it, feel free to put it up for discussion again.

Sorry, I don't get the question. You register as an editor for the whole series, not for individual volumes, and what you work on is up to yourself, anyway.
No i editted that part, kinda confused sana with a character...brain muddled from mugging

Apparently he or she, does chinese translations like Zzhk, easier for me to edit then
Edit: its not being mean. Its just that the internet dint load my new edit before you typed.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:32   Link #767
veritatis cupitor

the way we r chatting is termed irc, right? sorry 4 the lame ques.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:49   Link #768
Kadi
知識の探求者

Uhm, IRC is something else (it's a proper chat with chat rooms). Although I can't deny some chatty vibes from what we were doing.

(or did I misunderstand a question again?)
Old 2012-05-02, 11:57   Link #769
veritatis cupitor

Quote:
Uhm, IRC is something else (it's a proper chat with chat rooms). Although I can't deny some chatty vibes from what we were doing.

(or did I misunderstand a question again?)
can u give me an example of irc? does project page in baka tsuki need another registering than forum page?

i got the answer of irc, plz help with baka tsuki.

thnx kadi 4 answer. both problems solved.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:42   Link #770
Zetsuen_no_Myuu
ボクは、ボクを全て殺す

Ehh... Since the setting is international and all, it would ideal, if not, actually proper to have Eastern name order for characters native to the use of that name order. And for Western name order, naturally, those characters who falls under Western order would refer to and be presented using first name - last name.

But if Western ends up being finalized (hoping not ^), then at the least I hope that when a character refers to someone using their last name that their last name would be used instead of their first,

-Edit-

I like honorifics too....

Last edited by Zetsuen_no_Myuu; 2012-05-02 at 13:36.
Zetsuen_no_Myuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 12:44   Link #771
veritatis cupitor

i prefer native style of naming being used.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:56   Link #772
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th itachi View Post
i prefer native style of naming being used.
+1

I prefer the native style... last name first.
I also prefer if "oni-sama" or any variation of Big bro, Sister, and simple words which we should already know to be left untranslated.

Sometimes it sounds better in its raw form, then the translated form. :\

I think zzhk did a good job.
His grammer also is very excellent, i was reading it, and only small edits would apply if you wanted them to apply.

Its much better then what most other translators do on the first translation, and in the time frame he does it.
(not disrespecting other translators... zzhk is just that awesome).

personally zzhk do it the way u want to do it.
If the editors feel they need to change it, then let them.
However the edits take away too much of sentence flow then tell them.

Like we were saying b4, Wa' storm is kinda hard to express, yuri's super polite speech is also hard to represent.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 13:04   Link #773
XFire
150% done

Not sure how it is for other people, but some Japanese words sound better untranslated (Most of the names like Onee-x, Onii-x, Otou--x; almost all attack names sound beeter in Japanese; most titles like Sekiryutei, etc)

though that's just how it seems to me, it also helps with the flow of the reading.
Old 2012-05-02, 13:21   Link #774
veritatis cupitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Not sure how it is for other people, but some Japanese words sound better untranslated (Most of the names like Onee-x, Onii-x, Otou--x; almost all attack names sound beeter in Japanese; most titles like Sekiryutei, etc)

though that's just how it seems to me, it also helps with the flow of the reading.
onii, otou, etc r good bt if complex words have eng meanings in brackets, that would b best. for eg katon no jutsu ( eg from naruto) is good 4 flow bt katon no jutsu ( katon means fire n jutsu means technique) is good 4 newbies 2. i've experience of being a newbie.

Last edited by veritatis cupitor; 2012-05-02 at 15:53.
veritatis cupitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 13:25   Link #775
Kna

Quote:

I seconded that and another thing that bugs me is the honorific. I don't mean to sound demanding or something but I'd love it if the translator leave them as they are. Those words did defined the relationship between characters.
It lets us reader know about their relationships and their current emotion when they address each other with specific type of honorific so please don't leave those out.
Kna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 13:27   Link #776
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

that is why there is foot notes at the bottom of the page.

You shouldnt be reading japanese literature unless u have some japanese background.
Meaning u should know basic words like what Oni chan means... and what tsundere is also.

When things are overly translated it sounds off, and loses its original impact.
This is why a lot of us perfer translations to be kept to keep flow more so then exact translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kna View Post
I seconded that and another thing that bugs me is the honorific. I don't mean to sound demanding or something but I'd love it if the translator leave them as they are. Those words did defined the relationship between characters.
It lets us reader know about their relationships and their current emotion when they address each other with specific type of honorific so please don't leave those out.
this too!

i would also prefer if they left the -san or -sama at the end instead of cutting them off.

Oh i think Ena is a perfect candidate for the "Minnesota accient"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByv7a2KyyU

lol... thats how ena sounds to me...
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 14:42   Link #777
zzhk
Summary Machine

Well, name order is easily fixed by search and replace.
Seeing as half of Volume 1 is using Japanese name order, I'm just going to continue with what I have been using.

However, I will go on a murderous rampage if anyone tries to change Chinese names around.

On the other hand, since honorifics and speaking style can be lost in the transition to Chinese, I just guess as best as I could.

If errors were made, I'll leave it to a dedicated editor to fix them by crosschecking with the original.

Quote:

Well, if lots of titles are being thrown around, leaving them all untranslated could get annoying...
Leviathan of the Covenant
Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
zzhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 17:03   Link #778
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
That confused the hell out of me at first, too. I guess Bobby is the oldest one appearance-wise, because as you said Aisha is about ten times his age. If she's still alive, that is...
Maybe Bobby is Aisha while Aisha's Bobby? PLOT TWIST!!!

OK, seriously, maybe because the author didn't think of Aisha at that time. Might explain why.
Old 2012-05-02, 17:07   Link #779
Richocet
Lover of Purity

I took it as him being the oldest by looks and also the oldest one who still operates and ppl know about, cuz as far as i rem she hasn't been seen for a long time
Old 2012-05-02, 17:12   Link #780
veritatis cupitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
Maybe Bobby is Aisha while Aisha's Bobby? PLOT TWIST!!!

OK, seriously, maybe because the author didn't think of Aisha at that time. Might explain why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richocet View Post
I took it as him being the oldest by looks and also the oldest one who still operates and ppl know about, cuz as far as i rem she hasn't been seen for a long time
both answers r logical though i 2 think that the author didn't think of aisha at that time.

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel, true harem