This is gonna be so awesome.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 12:16   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New Trailer.

Old 2016-08-09, 14:57   Link #4
GDB

Doesn't look too bad. Little worried they might play up the "unbreakable skin" thing too much though. Got a lot of "Black Superman" vibes from that trailer.

That said, loved the scene when he comes out of the tank and was basically wearing the old school Power Man outfit.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 20:07   Link #5
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I thought his only power was the unbreakable skin, and that what "super-strength" he has is just from being a pretty (humanly) strong guy who doesn't have to worry about hurting himself by using that strength to the fullest.
Old 2016-08-09, 22:29   Link #6
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I thought his only power was the unbreakable skin, and that what "super-strength" he has is just from being a pretty (humanly) strong guy who doesn't have to worry about hurting himself by using that strength to the fullest.
Having extremely tough muscles and bones has to come with it, or unbreakable skin alone wouldn't be enough to stop him getting fractures from gunshots. He would get superstrength just from having the bones tough enough to do what you see him do.
Old 2016-08-10, 01:35   Link #7
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Trailer looks good. Seems like the kind of hero I can enjoy a Netflix series for.

Hopefully it turns out to be really good.
Old 2016-08-12, 10:50   Link #8
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Thumbs up

I may be aiming way too high, but I'm hoping for The Wire with superpowers.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-26, 11:33   Link #9
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

3 days until airing.

Old 2016-09-26, 12:28   Link #10
GDB

Oh wow, didn't realize it was this close. Looking forward to it.

I just hope the audio is done well. Had issues with DD2 where I had to crank up the volume to hear them talk, and then the special effects would be obscenely loud.
Old 2016-09-26, 17:19   Link #11
sayde

Hold on! Wait a minute now. Is that actress that played the mother who confronted Tony Stark about her dead son in Civil War supposed to be playing the same character in this show? Because that could be a cool connection.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-26, 22:40   Link #12
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
Hold on! Wait a minute now. Is that actress that played the mother who confronted Tony Stark about her dead son in Civil War supposed to be playing the same character in this show? Because that could be a cool connection.
Sadly No. In Civil War, she played Miriam Sharpe while in Luke Cage, she plays as Mariah Dillard.

It's not uncommon for actors in the MCU to play another character like how actor Enver Gjokaj played a Police Officer in the 1st Avengers movie and later played Daniel Sousa in Agent Carter.
Old 2016-09-26, 23:44   Link #13
sayde

While it's a little disappointing, I do appreciate the confirmation on the issue. Either way, Friday can't come soon enough. I'm really looking forward to this one.
Old 2016-09-30, 15:10   Link #14
GDB

About half way through episode 1. So far it feels like an R-rated version of Barbershop. Also confirmed to take place after Jessica Jones (unless he's been shot under the chin with a shotgun more than once). Pausing at the moment because gratuitous sex scene #1 is starting and it feels rather forced and it broke my immersion.

*edit*

Finished episode 1. I feel like there's some disconnect between this Luke Cage and the one we saw in Jessica Jones. This one kind of feels like a coward rather than merely not wanting anything to do with relationships.

Last edited by GDB; 2016-09-30 at 15:44.
Old 2016-09-30, 15:46   Link #15
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I am at episode 5, and I really like it and besides they did a good job retelling his origin story and I like that most people was calling him by his superhero name. Mahershala Ali is a very good villain with Black Mariah and others.

But there is one question that I have about this is
Spoiler for Seagate:
Old 2016-09-30, 20:40   Link #16
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Mahershala Ali is a very good villain with Black Mariah and others.
I just finished episode 4, so not sure if episode 5 will convince me otherwise, but I disagree. They've spent a LOT of time building their stories, yet I don't see why I should care about either one of them. Generic ass gangster who wishes he was Wilson Fisk and his blowhard politician cousin who talks about "doing good" but doesn't care about evil as long as she doesn't know the details. And that's not even getting into the whole "keeping Harlem black" thing.

*edit*

Finished episode 5. My opinion of Cottonmouth has gotten even worse. He's not even being smart anymore. And they keep trying to hammer this "super BET" setting and it's really losing me. I'd probably give up on the series if Claire hadn't just entered the series with this episode. Her 6 minutes of sitting around a diner spinning salt is literally the highlight of the Luke Cage series thus far.

Last edited by GDB; 2016-09-30 at 22:11.
Old 2016-10-01, 07:21   Link #17
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I just finished episode 4, so not sure if episode 5 will convince me otherwise, but I disagree. They've spent a LOT of time building their stories, yet I don't see why I should care about either one of them. Generic ass gangster who wishes he was Wilson Fisk and his blowhard politician cousin who talks about "doing good" but doesn't care about evil as long as she doesn't know the details. And that's not even getting into the whole "keeping Harlem black" thing.
Seen the whole thing.

I find it very interesting that Cottonmouth never wanted to be a gangster. He was forced into it because he needed to carry the family business while the sister go off to be a politician. The guy just wanted to be a musician, and wanted to have an education. But their mum ended up making both their career choices for them.

Fundamentally I find all the villains in this show very human. No matter how evil they are, I never stop seeing them as humans who feel they are just doing what they had to do.

I also note that there is down sides in trusting cops, but also down sides for NOT trusting cops. And that sometimes it is not always wise to go outside the system.
I guess my question is...
Spoiler for ending:
Old 2016-10-01, 14:22   Link #18
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Seen the whole thing.

I find it very interesting that Cottonmouth never wanted to be a gangster. He was forced into it because he needed to carry the family business while the sister go off to be a politician. The guy just wanted to be a musician, and wanted to have an education. But their mum ended up making both their career choices for them.

Fundamentally I find all the villains in this show very human. No matter how evil they are, I never stop seeing them as humans who feel they are just doing what they had to do.

I also note that there is down sides in trusting cops, but also down sides for NOT trusting cops. And that sometimes it is not always wise to go outside the system.
I guess my question is...
Spoiler for ending:
Actually, you think about it in a small sense that all of their parents mess up their lives in a very big way from Luke and Diamondback father didn't care about them to Black Mariah and Cottonmouth mother who decide what they going to be even know that Cottonmouth would be a fine musician and Mariah would be something good for the community legality.

That is a good lesson for the day as a viewer and a father as well and that is one of the reason why I like this series a lot.
Old 2016-10-02, 00:24   Link #19
sayde

Just finished binging this.

Got one question to anyone who's seen episode 13.
Spoiler for episode 13:

Anyways, while there's plenty I liked about the series, I felt it ran into much of the same problems Daredevil and Jessica Jones ran into. It can drag and it feels like there's a whole lot of build up for not enough action at times.

With that said, I'm hoping that when the trio eventually all comes together for their season length series, the pace and frequency of the action will pick up more. And that is my extremely brief spoiler-free impression. Maybe I'll post more of my thoughts after more people have watched. But right now, I give it a 7.5/10. Solid stuff. And I still remained intrigued enough to look forward to what's to come.
Old 2016-10-03, 02:04   Link #20
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
Just finished binging this.

Got one question to anyone who's seen episode 13.
Spoiler for episode 13:

Anyways, while there's plenty I liked about the series, I felt it ran into much of the same problems Daredevil and Jessica Jones ran into. It can drag and it feels like there's a whole lot of build up for not enough action at times.

With that said, I'm hoping that when the trio eventually all comes together for their season length series, the pace and frequency of the action will pick up more. And that is my extremely brief spoiler-free impression. Maybe I'll post more of my thoughts after more people have watched. But right now, I give it a 7.5/10. Solid stuff. And I still remained intrigued enough to look forward to what's to come.
Spoiler for above:

Tags
action, marvel cinematic universe, netflix