AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-15, 16:26   Link #121
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

wow, wasn't expecting the wolves and goblins to coexist. Slime boi is just too good.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 17:00   Link #122
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Spoiler for Episode 3 Comments/Feedback:
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 17:47   Link #123
Ultragunner

I think this series being aired shortly right after Goblin Slayer is a appreciable coincidence that can serve as good therapy for all the trauma that GS causes
Old 2018-10-15, 18:28   Link #124
Itlandm
Porcupine

Goblin healer!

This anime is so beautiful and lighthearted, seeing each episode brings a smile to my face. A great way to end the day for me.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-15, 21:46   Link #125
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Dem goblin tawawas.

Ranga has been entirely domesticated. Slime even slipped out "dogs".

Also, goblins engaging in trading.

Now that I think about it these goblins were closer to "ajin" than "mamono" but they see themselves as mamono and they do evolve from that naming mechanics.
Old 2018-10-15, 22:24   Link #126
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I couldn't help but think of the healing process as the goblins being eaten then pooped out. What a way to heal.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 00:50   Link #127
AceTrigger

I'm curious about the pacing of this anime because

Spoiler:
AceTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 04:10   Link #128
mickbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTrigger View Post

Spoiler:
Hohh we have certain devil too huh
I guess it will speed up soon
Currently volume 1 should be 6 episode (5 might be too fast)
So unless they cut unneccesary scene and battle
I think it should be 4 episode per volume
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 07:07   Link #129
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I can't be the only one who sees irony in the fact that this season's two glamour LN adaptations both feature goblins, and one is a kumbayah celebration of peace and brotherhood while the other is a barely-closeted racist guro-fest?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 07:16   Link #130
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't be the only one who sees irony in the fact that this season's two glamour LN adaptations both feature goblins, and one is a kumbayah celebration of peace and brotherhood while the other is a barely-closeted racist guro-fest?
Racist guro-fest?

I dont think either of those words mean what you think they mean.
Old 2018-10-16, 07:58   Link #131
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Racist guro-fest?

I dont think either of those words mean what you think they mean.
He doesn't, but let's not drag the Goblin Slayer drama into another thread.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 08:07   Link #132
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oh, I know what they mean, believe me.

But fine, leave the social aspect of GS out of it if it makes you feel better. Just the contrast in the way the two series approach human-monster contact in the fantasy world is so wildly contrasting as to almost defy believability.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 08:20   Link #133
XFire
150% done

Quote:

But fine, leave the social aspect of GS out of it if it makes you feel better. Just the contrast in the way the two series approach human-monster contact in the fantasy world is so wildly contrasting as to almost defy believability.
Social aspect. To a dark fantasy based on a DND meme.

Man I actually live in America and I still think this whole cultural projection thing has gone way too far.

But honestly I'm more concerned at the use of "guro". GS hasn't even had any actual gore yet. Guro starts at "eroticized disembowlment" and works it's way up from there.
Old 2018-10-16, 12:09   Link #134
kari-no-sugata II

There's a number of different takes on "goblins" out there, to the extent that the goblins here can seem rather ordinary.

"So I'm I spider so what" is getting an anime and there's "goblins" there, though unfortunately the anime probably won't get far enough to cover them properly, if at all. They look rather odd in the illustrations but they're quite interesting. I'm sure it'll never happen but it'd be interesting to see the reaction on the internet if the scene where the goblin village is attacked by humans is ever animated.

In the "Lazy Dungeon Master" WN/LN/manga, early on there's a running gag about the FL supposedly having a goblin fetish. One goblin has a "heroic" death

I guess I don't need to mention the goblins from Overlord.

And there's some even weirder stuff out there in the deep corners of the internet...
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 13:46   Link #135
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Since many versions of the story have a "Status Screen" for Rimuru at the end of certain chapters or volumes and seeing how up until this point there is none for the anime, I decided to create one myself! One for every episode. This will list all the titles and skills from previous episodes as well. I won't use anything from other media in this Status Screen and keep it strictly to what the anime reveals (unless it's an obvious translation error). I want to note though that I'll take a few liberties with the titles.

So let's start off with episode one:

Episode 1

Status
Name: - (Satoru Mikami in previous life)
Race: Slime
Sex: n/a
Titles: [Little One], [Unique], [Otherworld Reincarnator], [Friend of the Storm Dragon]
Skills:
  • Unique Skill [Predator]
    • [Mimicry Skill]
    • [Analyse]
    • [Parallel]
    • [Absorb Into Body]
  • Unique Skill [Great Sage]
    • [Q&A]
    • [Reaction Speed UP]
  • Slime Species Skill [Self-Regeneration]
  • Extra Skill [Magic Sense]
  • Skill [Water Pressure Propulsion]
Resistances:
  • [Thermal Fluctuation Resistance]
    • [Heat Resistance]
    • [Cold Resistance]
  • [Stab Resistance]
  • [Physical Attack Resistance]
  • [Pain Nullification]
  • [Electric Current Resistance]
  • [Paralysis Resistance]
Stomach Inventory:
  • Hipokute Herbs
  • Potions
  • Magistone Ores
  • Water
Kills: -

That's it for Episode 1. I'll make the Status Screen for Episode 2 later.

Feel free to discuss the content however you like. Corrections are also appreciated, but please no spoilers (or at least properly put them into spoiler tags). Again, keep note that this is an ANIME-ONLY Status Screen. Anything that the anime "left out" compared to the source material (like the other species skills) will not be mentioned in these lists.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2018-10-16 at 15:35.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 14:11   Link #136
Applehell

Well that was fun and probably the best episode so far! While this week was still slow the content is spread out in a much better way and no longer dragged down by game prompts slapping us in the face nearly every minute. The battle between Direwolves and Goblins wasn't much of a battle as was just Rimuru showing off in all honestly. But I do like that he had apply strategy which gives him some sense vulnerability. Now leaves me in question if he would have even been able to fight off the entire pack like I thought he might have at first. So far this series isn't blowing me away, but it becoming a pleasant watch so far in away feel isekai's are for me. I'm just hope it stay much more on lighthearted side with how much potential Rimuru has to be OP.

Quote:

In fairness to GS, it's more common for goblins to be depicted as goodguys and chill dudes than what it is going in that show. The contrast only really getting noted this becasue of how much GS botched this particular element. Goblins being violent cruel isn't a new take either as Grimgar did same, but in that series was at least dealt equally to man and woman. GS is problematic not becasue goblins are evil but becasue their violence is arbitrary presented with women suffering the blunt of it and shown in full view while men killed off screen. It comes across as fetishistic like something you normally see in a hentai doujin. I've heard the light novel much less hamfisted about this compared to the manga which the anime is following. The 2nd episode showed that it's capable of depict the goblins savagery in a non-gratuitous manner which strengthens my stance that anime staff have no one to blame but themselves for handling such a touchy subject badly and making that an anchor around the entire show.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 14:31   Link #137
SMT
*Artist

This show is amazing so far, probably my AOTS if it keeps up this quality.

Well animated, no CG used (at least there seems to be nothing obvious so far), the plot seems to just flow perfectly, character designs simple yet satisfying to look at. Very talented staff indeed. I didn't expect much from the studio but it seems they hired the right people with passion for this project.

Can't wait for more.
SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 14:55   Link #138
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTrigger View Post

snip
The opening already give a good idea how far the anime will go. The only question is "what will they cut?".

Quote:
Just the contrast in the way the two series approach human-monster contact in the fantasy world is so wildly contrasting as to almost defy believability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
In fairness to GS, it's more common for goblins to be depicted as goodguys and chill dudes than what it is going in that show.
That's the opposite. Goblins are more often depicted as mischevious, greedy and often outright evil; such as in Tolkien universe or Dungeon and Dragons. They are notoriously not in good terms with humans, and that was remotely alluded even in Slime when Rigur innocently asked why they shouldn't attack them.

But in general, Slime and GS have major thematic differences because their respective inspirations are drastically opposite. Slime is way more influenced by "adventure-like" fantasy such as Dragon Quest. Meanwhile, GS is heavily inspired by D&D. That's like comparing Madoka, Nanoha and Precure "because they are based on magical girl genre".

Anyway, it is good to see they took their time with the naming process. I was actually concerned they might do it within 5 minutes, because you could basically flashforward hard the transition before and after Rimuru named them.
But the thing that always sells me with the adaptation is the great care for Rimuru's animations. He manages to be "cute" even though it is... well, a slime, which is very rarely considered as such, even by DraQue standards.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-16 at 15:59.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 15:58   Link #139
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's the opposite. Goblins are more often depicted as mischevious, greedy and often outright evil; such as in Tolkien universe or Dungeon and Dragons. They are notoriously not in good terms with humans, and that was remotely alluded even in Slime when Rigur innocently asked why they shouldn't attack them.

But in general, Slime and GS have major thematic differences because their respective inspirations are drastically opposite. Slime is way more influenced by "adventure-like" fantasy such as Dragon Quest. Meanwhile, GS is heavily inspired by D&D. That's like comparing Madoka, Nanoha and Precure "because they are based on magical girl genre"
I knew should have added recently. While that is true goblins are often depicted negatively, but they also seen as a minor threat. Goblins are also usually too dimwitted to be the clever and cunning monstrosities in seen in GS. Ultimately they end up forgotten in lieu of the bigger badder monster narratively instead of given the focus or depth to they life-style in these two series.

I personally see both series cribbing from D&D which even DQ itself takes influences from. They just taking the same concepts and presenting them differently which are both valid interpretations. It's just a question of execution of those ideas.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 16:04   Link #140
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's the opposite. Goblins are more often depicted as mischevious, greedy and sometimes outright evil; such as in Tolkien universe or Dungeon and Dragons. They are notoriously not in good terms with humans, and that was remotely alluded even in Slime when Rigur innocently asked why they shouldn't attack them.

But in general, Slime and GS have major thematic differences because their respective inspirations are drastically opposite. Slime is way more influenced by "adventure-like" fantasy such as Dragon Quest. Meanwhile, GS is heavily inspired by D&D. That's like comparing Madoka, Nanoha and Precure "because they are based on magical girl genre".
The thing about Slime is that it makes sense out of silly JRPG game mechanics from the perspective of taking various UI stuff that's used for convenience of game play very literally.

Like encountering a group of Goblins in some J-RPG-style random encounter of a game with ATB or turnbased battles, where the Goblins are usually named by their class rather than individual names, e.g. "Goblin A", "Goblin B", etc., but when encountering some Goblin that's part of the story or a boss monster, it would have a proper name on the battlescreen as well.

So the show creates humor that people with no knowledge of (J-)RPGs might miss.

From that perspective all the Goblins and Ranga "upgraded" from "nameless goons" to "story-relevant characters", but here it's not just for convenience, but literally the law of the world - you get a name you get stronger (if the one who named you has enough magicules that is).

Something that might be missed is that ironically most of the names Rimuru gave are simply "Gob" + "hiragana/katakana alphabet letters", so according to Western standards he named them the Western equivalent of "Gob A", "Gob B", etc., which kind of makes the whole point of naming them moot - I guess it also represents how players who are asked to name their characters probably sometimes don't even know where to start and either use the default ones, or, if not available, very silly ones, something that the player might regret if the story gets really good later on, because the player can't take the emotional scenes seriously with the silly names.

With all that said, here's the status for Episode 2:

Episode 2

Status
Name: Rimuru Tempest (Satoru Mikami in previous life)
Race: Slime
Sex: n/a
Titles: [Little One], [Unique], [Otherworld Reincarnator], [Friend of the Storm Dragon], [Equal to the Storm Dragon], [Strong One], [Leader of the Goblins]
Skills:
  • Unique Skill [Predator]
    • [Mimicry Skill]
      • Black Serpent
      • Armorsaurus
      • Evil Centipede
      • Black Spider
      • Giant Bat
    • [Analyse]
    • [Parallel]
    • [Absorb Into Body]
  • Unique Skill [Great Sage]
    • [Q&A]
    • [Reaction Speed UP]
    • [Perspective Change]
  • Slime Species Skill [Self-Regeneration]
  • Extra Skill [Magic Sense]
  • Extra Skill [Water Manipulation]
    • [Water Pressure Propulsion]
    • [Water Movement]
    • [Water Blade]
  • Skill [Poisonous Breath]
  • Skill [Sense Heat Source]
  • Skill [Body Armor]
  • Skill [Paralysis Breath]
  • Skill [Sticky Thread]
  • Skill [Steel Thread]
  • Skill [Drain]
  • Skill [Ultrasonic Wave]
Resistances:
  • [Thermal Fluctuation Resistance]
    • [Heat Resistance]
    • [Cold Resistance]
  • [Stab Resistance]
  • [Physical Attack Resistance]
  • [Pain Nullification]
  • [Electric Current Resistance]
  • [Paralysis Resistance]
Stomach Inventory:
  • Hipokute Herbs
  • Potions
  • Magistone Ores
  • Water
  • [Unlimited Imprisonment] containing Veldora Tempest
Kills: 5

The kills only contain the ones that were properly mentioned or shown on screen.

Episode 3 Status Screen will come later.

Tags
isekai tensei