AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-11-09, 03:28   Link #61
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
That's why they spent half of the movie exploring about the background of each of them. I will give Blizzard this if each of the Pvp map was designed to tell the story of each character involved. But chance of that to happen?
They are, the King's Row map was base around the story about a group that tried to EMP nuke a Robot city below ground.

Metzen said they would try to incorporate these details into the maps, but admits that in a PvP game very few people would notice it and that's why they decided to separate the story from the game. He also talked about allowing gameplay first before story when it comes to selecting multiple same heroes on a team, or having two characters that are rivals be fighting together (eg. Tracer and Widowmaker).

Quote:
How can you not seeing any of them generic and full of cliche?
  • traditional weapon (bow), Asians, Yakuza tatoo, samurai hair, wearing that judogi~ish dress. It's like the designer went and google "Japan" and pick whatever come up to put into his design.
  • assassin guy: in black, hoof, white mask, smoke bomb, even have a shredder~ish hand gloves.
  • beast-like character: a gorilla, give him an full amour cause it was never done before excepted in pretty much any scifi or fantasy setting
  • mechanic-like: dwarf, with dwarf beard, robotic arm, even over-face soldering protection
  • healer: angel, with white hair, white and golden theme dress, and even a half halo on it.
  • sniper: dark elf
  • magic user: Ghandi robot
  • tank paladin: Big hammer. Checked. Full amour . Checked. Massive oversize. Checked
  • Booster guy/girl: gundam-ish looking. With missle barrages from shoulders to boost
Nope, not really seeing it. In fact this list would be great for showing the diversity of characters.

Quote:
Actually i think the game will sell.

Just like the varies of Modern Warfare and Battlefield and recent Destiny, that people will buy and spend their way happy grinding up their gears on Pvp without wondering what is the story or their universe about.
You can't make people care if they don't want to, similarly people who do care would find out on their own without being told.

Unlike Destiny, Overwatch straights up tell you what to expect.

I view this as I do like a fighting game, most of them have a story somewhere, but the game itself is all about the gameplay.

Quote:
Edit: Well to be fair, now think back, i guess the same argument was used in echi anime, and there is no need for plots or character designs as long as they have bewbs. Guess modern FPS is moving in that direction
Dude, it's a multiplayer pvp game, what do you want from it?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 04:23   Link #62
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
That's why they spent half of the movie exploring about the background of each of them. I will give Blizzard this if each of the Pvp map was designed to tell the story of each character involved. But chance of that to happen?
Idk man, would you want the same company who wrote SC2 and Diablo 3 crappy story (in comparison to it's predecessor) to further narrate on a game that doesn't need much narrative? I think some ingame bark (character with character interaction) and probably a few shorts is the extent of what they should do with the game much like what Valve did with TF2 and Dota 2.

Let the community hive mind conjure up their own version of the story. There's already some flavor text (which is kinda dark for a few characters considering how light hearted the cinematic is) for each of the character profile on their official website to start off.

Quote:
How can you not seeing any of them generic and full of cliche?
[/LIST]
Edit: Well to be fair, now think back, i guess the same argument was used in echi anime, and there is no need for plots or character designs as long as they have bewbs. Guess modern FPS is moving in that direction
You went from the chaotic, can't see any theme to them full of campy cliche. That's kinda opposite end of the spectrum in design. It's a superhero motif, everything is going to be campy and full of cliche. This is going to be like the modern day equivalent of a G.I Joe game.
Old 2014-11-09, 07:18   Link #63
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Was watching the Overwatch Origins video, and they had an image with a bunch of heroes on it. They have way way more than what they have shown so far. Lots of robotic seeming ones to by the looks. or hybrids of man and machine.

Really big image warning.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-11-09, 07:58   Link #64
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
You went from the chaotic, can't see any theme to them full of campy cliche. That's kinda opposite end of the spectrum in design. It's a superhero motif, everything is going to be campy and full of cliche. This is going to be like the modern day equivalent of a G.I Joe game.
Why is it opposite? As mentioned , this seems to be case of them designing the game mechanics first, then design each character independently based on generic and cliche characteristics to fit such game mechanics. Then when you mixed them up it looks real chaotic and kinda cheap (as in, you feels like the character designing part was given to different guys and work independently before being sent back).

Even on the "superhero motif", you need clear story and background for them to be "super hero". Otherwise they will all just a bunch of individuals with unique ability. But even ion that ground, the "unique ability" is still not well defined because they are varied with magics (super power), weapons (skills), and races (the robot and the beast).

My only explanation for this mix is: a tournament was set up for some random reason, and each world/race is sent over the representatives to take part for some random reasons. But that is a very cheap set up that every fighting games based on.

But yeah to sum up. It's just my opinion on that. But lately i started to look at games too much from designer or critic's POV rather than as player, so could be another thing. Who knows, maybe it will sell really well, and people will enjoy playing it. Lots of Indie games were successful thank to the mechanisms despite don't have the same attention to details or storyline as Triple A games.

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-11-09 at 08:10.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 08:00   Link #65
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quote:
As mentioned , this seems to be case of them designing the game mechanics first, then design each character independently based on generic and cliche characteristics to fit such game mechanics first.
Actually they seemed to have pitched the idea of characters and story first, Tracer specifically, before going into mechanics. At least according to this panel I'm watching atm.
Old 2014-11-09, 12:04   Link #66
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Why is it opposite? As mentioned , this seems to be case of them designing the game mechanics first, then design each character independently based on generic and cliche characteristics to fit such game mechanics. Then when you mixed them up it looks real chaotic and kinda cheap (as in, you feels like the character designing part was given to different guys and work independently before being sent back).

Even on the "superhero motif", you need clear story and background for them to be "super hero". Otherwise they will all just a bunch of individuals with unique ability. But even ion that ground, the "unique ability" is still not well defined because they are varied with magics (super power), weapons (skills), and races (the robot and the beast).

My only explanation for this mix is: a tournament was set up for some random reason, and each world/race is sent over the representatives to take part for some random reasons. But that is a very cheap set up that every fighting games based on.

But yeah to sum up. It's just my opinion on that. But lately i started to look at games too much from designer or critic's POV rather than as player, so could be another thing. Who knows, maybe it will sell really well, and people will enjoy playing it. Lots of Indie games were successful thank to the mechanisms despite don't have the same attention to details or storyline as Triple A games.

It's the opposite because when you design something that's totally unique in itself, you need to develop it with narrative since there's no visual cue to instantly relate it to an idea. Where else the "cliche" design is already well established with people that they can connect characters to element/ideas instantly. So you can't say something is themeless and chaotic and yet claim the heroes are cliche because there is a thematic design for each of them.

Look back at comic books(DC/Marvel) or even fighting games, line up the full cast together and you see it's often a mish mash of design and power. The story and world are often adjusted to include in heroes of all kinds of power.

That said, there is still a loose constraint in Overwatch's character design to set the world. If a character is armored, it's all space marine/power armor-ish. Guns are all high tech toylike (instead of using real life equivalent). There's is still an overarching timeline being established as they develop the game. Atleast for now, they haven't gone fighting game style crazy with their characters.

Considering it's a multiplayer FPS only game, you don't even need the barest pretense of a story to serve the function. People still plays LoL/SF4/TF2 without needing any narrative and Overwatch is going to be the same. Blizzard can craft the most intricate tales/lore regarding the characters and lore but it's not the core experience for their target.
Old 2014-11-09, 14:02   Link #67
Esclair

I thought I was watching a Pixar short

Anyways, good potentially be big, TF2 mixed with the same kind of visual appeal of LoL.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 19:04   Link #68
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

My Tracer can't be this cute.
Old 2014-11-10, 02:07   Link #69
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
It's the opposite because when you design something that's totally unique in itself, you need to develop it with narrative since there's no visual cue to instantly relate it to an idea. Where else the "cliche" design is already well established with people that they can connect characters to element/ideas instantly. So you can't say something is themeless and chaotic and yet claim the heroes are cliche because there is a thematic design for each of them.

Look back at comic books(DC/Marvel) or even fighting games, line up the full cast together and you see it's often a mish mash of design and power. The story and world are often adjusted to include in heroes of all kinds of power.
Independently they have cliche design. But together they are chaotic and does not look like have a single theme. I still have no idea why that's contradicted in your book.

I don't know why you guys kept using DC Marvel to defend the case here. Each heroes had their own comics with own background/ storyline; and was designed independently before they came up together. Which is exactly what i think Overwatch characters are, minus the thoughtfully explored background. As mentioned, show Avenger or Justice League to someone who never seen or heard about them before , and they will raise the same eyebrows

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-11-10 at 02:24.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 03:43   Link #70
Mr Hat and Clogs

Isn't that the same of any new IP or character or whatever? Seems like old person nitpicking and refusing to recognise new characters.

http://blizzcam360.com/?id=110814130922 pretty cool cosplay of it by some bliz employees.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2014-11-10 at 03:53.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 14:14   Link #71
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I'm actually getting pretty excited about this after looking it over a few times. I love Team Fortress 2 and the added MOBA-esque characteristics make it seem a lot more interesting.

My only worry is that this addition (the inclusion of an 'ultimate ability') may prove to be an obnoxious one. Having played Destiny PvP frequently, I've seen what it's like to be killed 50% of the time, not by common attacks, but by practically unavoidable super-attacks that instantly kill you. It's an insta-kill here, another there. And you can't really do anything about them.

I worry that the cooldown timers of player's ultimate abilities will be too low (or in some sense allow it to be frequently used) such that gameplay will be all about surviving long enough to use your super on someone else. Granted, not all ultimate abilities in Overwatch are offense-based, but those that are (looking at you, Hanzo) might make the game primarily made up of looking at a respawn timer.
Old 2014-11-11, 19:07   Link #72
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Thoughts about Overwatch from a competitive Team Fortress 2 player:

YouTube
Old 2015-09-23, 10:53   Link #73
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Old 2015-09-23, 21:33   Link #74
Mr Hat and Clogs

Seems like someone was watching Mad Max before they hit the design table, lol. They look hilarious. Junkrats ult is the tire thing I assume, that seems like it will leave him quite vulnerable.

*Waits for the QQ comparing Roadhog to Stitches/Pudge because he has a chain hook and that all ideas are stolen from MOBAs.*
Old 2015-09-24, 13:04   Link #75
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
My only worry is that this addition (the inclusion of an 'ultimate ability') may prove to be an obnoxious one. Having played Destiny PvP frequently, I've seen what it's like to be killed 50% of the time, not by common attacks, but by practically unavoidable super-attacks that instantly kill you. It's an insta-kill here, another there. And you can't really do anything about them.
Quite so; I can't think of any game where such a thing (I believe you refer to instant-kill from full health and shields) is considered fun by anyone and not rightly criticized as poor design. Naturally, we'll have to keep an eye on this and see how the developers address this concern - surely they are not blind to it.

Which makes me wonder: have they considered abilities that are designed specifically to interfere with this mechanic? For discussion purposes I put forward two examples adapted from Starcraft:
  • EMP (target-centered AoE): instantly zeroes shields and ultimate; prevents both from regenerating/accumulating for ten seconds;
  • feedback (single-target): zeroes ultimate; inflicts damage proportional to amount thus 'burned' (up to half of their maximum HP for a full gauge)
And tossed in just for the fun of it is this amusing ultimate candidate: psychoactive gas. This target-centered AoE grants its victims an attack speed boost but renders them unable to distinguish friend from foe for the duration - indeed, these players will see all other characters as hostile-tagged shadowy forms. And yes, this debuff also makes them capable of inflicting 'friendly fire'.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-14, 12:30   Link #76
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Closed BETA for the Americas region will be starting Oct 27th. I wonder if i'll get in since my B.net account technically belongs to the American region (a trick i used to get into WoW beta when WoW beta started ages ago).

Official announcement link
Old 2015-11-05, 21:21   Link #77
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Having somehow lucked into the beta I have to say.....pretty fun so far .

Really, it feels to me they've done a nice job creating a flexible and fun game. Even now there are a lot of characters and good flexibility for playstyles. Even within the same kind of role there is some definite differences in how those characters fulfill that role. And the ultimate abilities have turned out just fine. They are definitely devastating as you'd expect, but it does depend on using them well and you can deal with them.

I think this is one time that Blizzard got it right. Still time of course for things to change and will see what gets announced at Blizzcon.
Old 2015-11-06, 08:15   Link #78
Mr Hat and Clogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Having somehow lucked into the beta
All of my hate!

Been watching on Twitch, I really like what I'm seeing too. Lot of CS:GO and TF2 players are enjoying it as well.
Old 2015-11-06, 12:01   Link #79
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
All of my hate!

Been watching on Twitch, I really like what I'm seeing too. Lot of CS:GO and TF2 players are enjoying it as well.
You and everyone else I know . Thanks Blizzard, I may enjoy the beta but may not live long enough to see the actual release .

And yeah can definitely see why those players would be enjoying it. Haven't played TF2 in a while, but it does have that kind of fun. Could easily spend plenty of time playing it with a group of friends or just randomly as I've been doing at present.
Old 2015-11-06, 12:04   Link #80
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
You and everyone else I know . Thanks Blizzard, I may enjoy the beta but may not live long enough to see the actual release .

And yeah can definitely see why those players would be enjoying it. Haven't played TF2 in a while, but it does have that kind of fun. Could easily spend plenty of time playing it with a group of friends or just randomly as I've been doing at present.
Look on the bright side, you're more likely to see this game released compared to Half-life 3

How many characters are available and how are they unlocked?
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, first person shooter