AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-11-13, 01:32   Link #201
Witheirate

Never play that game before. But since you said that BG2 is sequel of BG1, I assume that the gameplay and mechanics of the game is almost similar. In other hand, ALO, although use a copy of the old server of SAO, is a different game that has different gameplay and mechanics.

In the recent episode, It's looked that Kirito is likely the strongest fighter in ALO. He break the game balance. Could do One Hit PK and Transforming into boss monster.

This bug seems give more advantage to old SAO player. Wonder what happen if another front-liner of SAO still keeping their NerveGear and trying this new game (hm... Kayaba Akihiko, maybe). ALO could become a hunting field for them.
Old 2012-11-13, 07:30   Link #202
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witheirate View Post
Never play that game before. But since you said that BG2 is sequel of BG1, I assume that the gameplay and mechanics of the game is almost similar. In other hand, ALO, although use a copy of the old server of SAO, is a different game that has different gameplay and mechanics.

In the recent episode, It's looked that Kirito is likely the strongest fighter in ALO. He break the game balance. Could do One Hit PK and Transforming into boss monster.

This bug seems give more advantage to old SAO player. Wonder what happen if another front-liner of SAO still keeping their NerveGear and trying this new game (hm... Kayaba Akihiko, maybe). ALO could become a hunting field for them.
Spoiler for Alfheim Online Arc:
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 15:03   Link #203
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witheirate View Post
in BG1 and BG2, gameplay were the same but the mechanics were change.
Old 2012-11-15, 16:22   Link #204
Alucard24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Spoiler for Alfheim Online Arc:
Doesn't make sense since the new version of the nerve gears is compatible wich mean a SAO player could play ALO with the new gear, he just have to enter his account password.
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 17:28   Link #205
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
Doesn't make sense since the new version of the nerve gears is compatible wich mean a SAO player could play ALO with the new gear, he just have to enter his account password.
You got a point. The SAO accounts are probably being kept on the server.

For some reason I was thinking they where saved locally, because Yui is.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 04:06   Link #206
Alucard24

Yui is because she's like an object as far as the system is concerned. The account itself is on the remote server.
Alucard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 01:08   Link #207
Rissien

Send a message via MSN to Rissien Send a message via Yahoo to Rissien
ALO uses the same system as SOA, everything was transfered over so Kirito's stats from SAO as the Black Swordsman all transfered over, you can see this simply when he first enters. His one handed sword is way up, his various other skills even still has what fishing he did then all of his items and money transfered over. Anything that ddnt exist in ALO was garbage data. Yui was still an object when she transfered over, all her programming clearly remained intact for the transfer when he released her.
So yeah Kirito has that two years worth of leveling up compared to the rest of the players.
Old 2013-03-09, 08:52   Link #208
styr

Sorry for the necro bump, but I have a question and this place was once a good place for asking SAO-related questions... hopefully ya'll can help shed some insight for me.

I really wish that the author had provided a comprehensive list of weapon types available to the player.

For the most part, players tend to have a few standby's such as: 1H (One Handed) Straight Swords, 1H Short Swords (Daggers), 1H Curved Swords, 1H Maces, 1H Rapier, 2H (two handed) Axes, 2H Spears, 2H Sword, Katana, Martial Arts, and the two unique skills.

Then there's the grey area. If there are 1H Maces and 2H Axes, you'd think there would also be a version with 2H Maces and 1H Axes (which are seen wielded by players in the anime). Another issue arises with Guilty Thorn, which is, going by what the appraisal skill says, a one handed short spear.

If nothing else, I am left to assume that the "infinite number of skills" mentioned early on in SAO Vol1 by Kirito to Klein during the first day takes into account the weapon the user wields and generates new skills that will suit them which, like Katana, are not very hard to unlock. E.g., if you use a 2H spear up to X skill level, you will unlock the 1H variety, or using a 1H Mace for X skill level, the 2H variety is unlocked.

Simply put, the 1H Mace/2H Axe/2H Spear are what is, by default, 'available' to the player (along with 1h Straight/Short/Curved Sword), but with some training the other types are unlocked. I believe this is also the case for unlocking 2H Swords, since Kuradeel I believe trained up his 1h sword skill to unlock said 2H skill, though I am not sure where I read that. On Kuradeel's ME2 profile, which lists his Straight Sword skill at 204 and Short Sword at 453, with his 2H skill at 800+. I'm not sure how ME2 is regarded as "canon" but, if we take it at face value, maybe Kuradeel had to raise his Straight Sword skill to 200+ and Short Sword to 450+ to unlock 2H? It could just be that Kuradeel specialized in several weapons... but why would he have them at such varying degrees of skill?

It does not make much sense, imo, unless the player was required to both: require the prerequisite skill level of X, and also to keep said skill (aka you couldn't drop it after attaining the new skill), however the fact that Klein also maintains his 1H curved sword skill after attaining his Katana skill seems to show that it is the case... perhaps. With only two cases implied, it isn't a guarantee at all and my hypothesis is still just a hypothesis.. and then further up in ME2 is Asuna! I can't see 1H Rapier being available by default, since it is a niche weapon type, but she is wielding them without a subskill... and that blows my hypothesis out of the water. FML.

That seems quite unfair though, truth be told; players not using a "default" weapon type are screwed by not only having to raise another skill entirely, you are then stuck with the old weapon type after learning the new one! Perhaps, just perhaps, a player using an "advanced" skill like 2H Swords would be able to use the prerequisite Sword Skills, for instance Kuradeel using his Straight Sword+Short Sword 'sword skills' with his 2H Sword? (man, too much sword sword sword skills! Why couldn't the author have simply called them Weapon Skills/Abilities/Talents!)

I simply must reread the entire Aincrad arc over to find out this info, as I am currently writing a fanfic in which the PC (not Kirito) uses a non-sword weapon and am curious as to how it works. I tried looking on the SAO wiki but the info there is vague at best, with some options (like 1H Assault Spear) not even on the listing! I did add 1H Assault Spear though, as the presence of Guilty Thorn is beyond doubt and it plainly states that it is a one handed short spear, and in English!

Does anyone have any thoughts about this, before I go reading through a few hundred thousand words?

Last edited by styr; 2013-03-09 at 09:18.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote