Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-10-06, 16:47   Link #1
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Emotions and Teenage Years.

Hi.

Do you guys ever wonder if what it'd be like not to feel anything, no emotion.. i think it'd help me I spend most of my time being upset..

Do you think emotions are expressed more in teenage years than in other age groups.. Me and my friend were discussing it today i'd like to know what you think.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 16:54   Link #2
Gin
*Artist

Being a man, I have never had any feelings or emotions, it does help me not feel upset.
Old 2009-10-06, 16:56   Link #3
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Emotions are expressed throughout any time of your life, whether you're a teenager or an old man. It's actually a matter of being able to control your emotions. Teenagers are generally much more rebellious and inexperienced when handling their emotions since they're just beginning to experience the world with their own eyes and discover a lot of things their parents never told them or truths they were taught by their parents break down (Santa Claus to bring a very rough example), leading to said rebelliousness. Before you hit puberity, you pretty much buy what your parents say but you find out much more on your own once you do.

However, if we were to have no emotions at all, we'd be stripped of the very thing that makes us human. We wouldn't feel pain for instance, and therefore we wouldn't know out limits, we wouldn't know where we should stop with something before ultimately hurting ourselves. Without emotions, you're basically no better than a doll. Emotions is what makes people live, what makes people feel and define them as individuals. Humans need emotions because it helps us also understand the world around us with a unique perspective. I hope that helped you out.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 17:11   Link #4
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Hi.

Do you guys ever wonder if what it'd be like not to feel anything, no emotion.. i think it'd help me I spend most of my time being upset..
Would it be not sad? Because there are also many good emotions. You should think about it ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Being a man, I have never had any feelings or emotions, it does help me not feel upset.
Quote:
I am clearly a bad influence on all of you respectable members
Doesn't really fit, but for the sake of the running gag...
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 17:23   Link #5
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
It wasn't until I was well past 30 that I finally became comfortable in my own skin.

Maybe it's a consequence of modern life, or perhaps a result of the nearly three years I lost to national service: the bulk of my 20s felt like an extended adolescence. The fact that I started working full-time at 25, after graduating from college, probably had something to do with that as well.

My point? It takes time to "grow up", and the exact process works differently for every individual. But I promise you'd get there one day.

How would you know when you've arrived? When you notice that you aren't taking yourself too seriously any more, and can afford to laugh at your own mistakes without being crushed by them.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 19:34   Link #6
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Me:

13/14: Immature, self-centered

15/16: Angry all the time

17 (now): Really happy.

Mood swings anyone? I was angry all the time not too long ago, but I've been pretty happy with myself for the past few months.
Old 2009-10-06, 20:27   Link #7
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust."
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 20:30   Link #8
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
I honestly haven't noticed any mood changes in myself yet, I wonder how crazy mood changes get anyways.

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 05:58   Link #9
Jaden

What people usually learn towards the end of their teenage years is expressing their emotions. Like what's okay to let out, and what's better kept inside. These things are just for appearances, though. Truly knowing yourself and balancing yourself is a lifelong process, that's how I see it. Because I certainly can't even pretend to understand myself or to consider myself a grown-up.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 06:42   Link #10
calorie

Being completely devoid of any emotions would be stupid, even if they were bad most of the time. I mean, come on, if one was certain nothing but crappy emotions were to come in the future, that's a fate worse than death; that said, unless you were tortured until the end of your existence such life scenario is highly unlikely.

Without emotions there would be no motive, joy or purpose in which case I'd rather be an animal than an intelligent being. People most often question the reason for their existence when they're "in a downer" because if you abandon answers such as religion there really isn't any purpose - I'd hate to be a sentient robot with a lifespan close to eternal.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 06:58   Link #11
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu-smepai View Post
I honestly haven't noticed any mood changes in myself
As for me, I've been quite the same as I am now. My only grip was when I was being criticized by some people at school for some reason. Besides that, I always knew what I want, and happy, and did things accordingly. So I never went emo like many people I knew. I followed my own path.

And when I was in need of talking or advices, I knew my parents would help and listen to me anytime because i trust them completely (and they didn't wait for me, they were always talking to me and stuffs, so very present. I really liked, and still like that), so I always relyed on them rather than friends.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-10-07 at 07:11.
Old 2009-10-07, 13:40   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have been there and it's not present feeling at all... There was a time I was obsessed of getting a girlfriend during high school, but it never happened and I was usually upset... but it became less of a problem after I graduated high school and don't really care about it nearly as much.

As a teenager, teenagers don't know right from wrong sometimes and they can cause problems since their emotions haven't fully grown up yet. Once they grown up, then life can be a lot better.
Old 2009-10-07, 14:20   Link #13
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Hi.

It would be boring.

Quote:
Do you think emotions are expressed more in teenage years than in other age groups.. Me and my friend were discussing it today i'd like to know what you think.
Yes, it's when they're most difficult to get to grips with, because you experience a lot of new emotions for the first time.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 16:05   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
ever seen a pregnant woman or been around one? Teenage hormones are nothing compared to that...
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 17:06   Link #15
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
ever seen a pregnant woman or been around one? Teenage hormones are nothing compared to that...
Can't wait to experience pregnancy myself

That's the kind of emotions I don't want to miss
Old 2009-10-07, 17:21   Link #16
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Hi.
Hello.

Quote:
I think not feeling anything at all would really suck. It's true that sometimes we can feel really upset, or sad, or hurt by something, but feeling emotions is part of what helps us grow and mature. If we didn't feel anything, we'd never develop.

Quote:
Hmmmm...

Based off my own personal experience I can't say that my range of emotions changed all that much during my teenage years... what changed were the situations I was exposed to and how I ultimately reacted to those situations, which made my emotions either more intense or less intense. So it's not so much that I expressed a lot of emotion so much as I was exposed to different situations that caused my emotions to react a certain way.
Old 2009-10-07, 19:24   Link #17
Kimitachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
In the case of women, every stage of life is full with emotions, there is no way we can't feel anything.
Teenage is the stage to experience lots of things, some can handle it, some can't. With the pregnancy and menopause is the same, but the difference is that in those stages is probably that the woman has reached a high level of matureness and that helps to make it more bearable ( well, in some cases).
Kimitachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 19:37   Link #18
GuruSharky
The Muffin Man

Location: The magical land of Sugar Dust and Fairy Droppings.
As the teenagers struggle to find the nature that fits them they may be apt to try. Variety of personas as I've observed.

I myself have when through various phases from the nerd, to the goth, to the rebel to the simple all around guy I am now.

The teenage years suck when ur in 'em, but they are the best years of your life so don't pass 'em up.
GuruSharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 21:55   Link #19
P99

During my teenage years so far, I have learned a lot. Definitely there are a ton of mood swings, most teenagers have them. But to answer your question, during the teenage years is when you experiance a ton of emotions.
Old 2009-10-07, 21:57   Link #20
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You make me thing that your Sai when you said that

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote