AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-18, 12:09   Link #23761
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
And I'm not trusting their safety.
Maybe safety is not too much a concern anymore (well it might still be somewhat sub standard, but not as much as it was a few years ago).

Anyway the chinese market usually demands products that have to adhere to the following criteria (based on market studies):

*Inexpensiveness
*Good performance (aka how much product you get for your money - that includes state of the art technology)
*Huge amounts (you need enough production capability)
*Build in China (not necessarily designed/developed there)

This comes at the expense of:

*Durability
*Environment
*Energy consumption (and other secondary costs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I wouldn't trust them on US road. There's too much dead on the US road already.
In my oppinion its just too easy to get a driving license in the US. And if you loose it, its not really a loss (its extremely cheap to redo). Besides, most streets in the US are made to unlearn driving, its just too easy, comfy and generally boring that it drains considerably on the attention span.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:11   Link #23762
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Inside the barrel, I am suspect the 500kg will start off as a projectile instead of a vehicle first.
I believe that was the mass to energy requirement needed to get the thing to work (better than something the mass to energy of Jupiter).

Though they are talking speeds of 10 times light. So Warp 2.15, basically, using the old Star Trek scale of the Warp Factor cubed. So a little over 22 weeks to Alpha Centari. (157 days)
Old 2012-09-18, 13:31   Link #23763
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I believe that was the mass to energy requirement needed to get the thing to work (better than something the mass to energy of Jupiter).

Though they are talking speeds of 10 times light. So Warp 2.15, basically, using the old Star Trek scale of the Warp Factor cubed. So a little over 22 weeks to Alpha Centari. (157 days)
That's still pretty damned good! Anything less than a year to the next solar system is good in my book.
Old 2012-09-18, 13:44   Link #23764
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A bit of history fact uncovered that may twist a few knickers of literalists. However, I just think it is another indicator (there are hundreds from the oldest texts as we find them) that the Council of Nicea (among others) essentially and substantially re-purposed what we call Christianity to suit the needs of the Empire. We'll watch to see if his interpretation holds up under peer review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us...esus-wife.html
Old 2012-09-18, 13:52   Link #23765
Sumeragi
Banned

I found this part to be funny:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Article
The notion that Jesus had a wife was the central conceit of the best seller and movie “The Da Vinci Code.” But Dr. King said she wants nothing to do with the Code or its author: “At least, don’t say this proves Dan Brown was right.”
Old 2012-09-18, 14:24   Link #23766
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I found this part to be funny:
Yes, it was. She's trying to emphasize that this is an interesting bit of evidence that needs further research - good scientist talk, not fiction

I find the Dead Sea Scroll work, the gnostic books, and work like this (pre-council of Nicea) fascinating because it shows a much more interesting.... even pleasant possibility of what might have been.
Old 2012-09-18, 14:58   Link #23767
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Personally, I found the story of how this papyrus was discovered a bit fishy.
In any case, no serious analysis have been made on it (particularly on the ink used to write the text), so it's not possible to really determine if its a genuine 2nd century papyrus at the moment.
Old 2012-09-18, 14:58   Link #23768
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find the Dead Sea Scroll work, the gnostic books, and work like this (pre-council of Nicea) fascinating because it shows a much more interesting.... even pleasant possibility of what might have been.
I was surprised to discover that the FRONTLINE program, From Jesus to Christ, is now fourteen years old. It's an intriguing documentary on the early Christians based on the archeological and historical information available at the time.
Old 2012-09-18, 16:22   Link #23769
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

NATO halts work with Afghan allies to stem insider attacks
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88H0BL20120918
There's a moment when one should acknoledge a failure, than his objective was unrealistic, than each new lost is a testimony of the failure to learn the leason of the previous ones.
This moment happened years ago. And we are still going the same way as if nothing happened.
Old 2012-09-18, 18:32   Link #23770
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
A bit of history fact uncovered that may twist a few knickers of literalists. However, I just think it is another indicator (there are hundreds from the oldest texts as we find them) that the Council of Nicea (among others) essentially and substantially re-purposed what we call Christianity to suit the needs of the Empire. We'll watch to see if his interpretation holds up under peer review.
I think that's been the general opinion among scholars for quite a while now. It's been known for a long time that a lot of gospels were excluded by the Council of Nicaea. Furthermore, several prominent sects became heresies, for instance the Arians, who did not believe in the trinity, and believed the holy spirit was subservient to the son, who was subservient to God the father. The son was divine, but not god. God is only one person, not three persons.

Personally, I think that makes more sense then the Trinity but...
Old 2012-09-18, 19:59   Link #23771
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Insight: In Africa's warm heart, a cold welcome for Chinese
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88H0CR20120918
After all these years, Chinese merchants are STILL being disliked by the local populace for being successful.

Some things never change..

::sigh::
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-09-18, 20:07   Link #23772
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
With that amount of power, I think the Earth would be destroy right after the launch just because of the enormous power it emitted.
Old 2012-09-18, 20:51   Link #23773
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think that's been the general opinion among scholars for quite a while now. It's been known for a long time that a lot of gospels were excluded by the Council of Nicaea. Furthermore, several prominent sects became heresies, for instance the Arians, who did not believe in the trinity, and believed the holy spirit was subservient to the son, who was subservient to God the father. The son was divine, but not god. God is only one person, not three persons.

Personally, I think that makes more sense then the Trinity but...
If only the average believer in the US had the remotest clue of what you're talking about....
Old 2012-09-18, 22:42   Link #23774
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
With that amount of power, I think the Earth would be destroy right after the launch just because of the enormous power it emitted.
If you have the level of technology necessary to break the light barrier, then
destroying a planet isn't that difficult.

Maybe that's why we haven't been visited by aliens yet (unless you believe the
UFO conspiracy theorists). They all blew themselves away before they could meet
us.

So, what will happen here when our tech gets so advanced that any nutcase who's
sufficiently pissed-off can build his/her own doomsday device?
Old 2012-09-19, 01:25   Link #23775
Xagzan

Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us...esus-wife.html
It's an interesting find, but couldn't it simply be that the "wife" Jesus was referring to here was the church? It is referred to as his bride or wife in other NT books after all.

Regardless, it's not like the possibility of there being an early Christian tradition where Jesus had a relationship with Mary hasn't already been raised by study of the gospels of Philip, Mary, etc, right? Even if it is a stretch in those cases. Well, it wouldn't surprise me if there were such early traditions anyway. Considering how many diverse sects Second Temple Judaism saw, why wouldn't it be the case that there were numerous groups of early Christians with wildly different schools of thought on different matters? That certainly seems a given in fact, considering what we know of the Arians and other "heretics," as mentioned above.
Old 2012-09-19, 01:30   Link #23776
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
It's an interesting find, but couldn't it simply be that the "wife" Jesus was referring to here was the church? It is referred to as his bride or wife in other NT books after all.

Regardless, it's not like the possibility of there being an early Christian tradition where Jesus having a relationship with Mary hasn't already been raised by the gospels of Philip, Mary, etc, right? Even if it is a stretch in those cases. Well it wouldn't surprise me if there were such early traditions. Considering how many diverse sects Second Temple Judaism saw, why wouldn't it be the case that there were numerous groups of early Christians with wildly different schools of thought on different matters?
Dunno, I'd have to know 4th Century Coptic to be able to converse intelligently. For example, does that kind of metaphor even make sense for the word used in that language?

The only point I'm making is that people who think the KJV or even the results of the Council of Nicea (much less the Imperial Roman Church or the thousands of offshoots) might be better served with a better understanding of the roots of what they're labeling themselves as, rather than clinging to a soundbite of a misquote of a political agenda of another soundbite from several translations of third hand oral stories.
Old 2012-09-19, 02:12   Link #23777
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Bad to the bone: A medical horror story

Quote:
When medical device company Synthes decided to illegally test a bone cement on people, the results were disastrous. A disturbing tale of corporate crime and punishment.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-19, 02:22   Link #23778
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
What the hell? Of all the bones, they injected it, in the spine??? Not only that they performed an experiment without a consent and knowledge of the family.. they tried an untested "product"!!! How dumb are they??? Hope they be tried as criminals!!!
Old 2012-09-19, 04:59   Link #23779
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Oh no, get ready for more carnage as another cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed is printed in France....

I'm all for freedom of speech, but what an idiot!

http://news.sky.com/story/986820/fra...-cartoon-fears
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2012-09-19, 05:06   Link #23780
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

The question I am asking myself is; would more case such as this bone cement happen if we didn't regulate as we do?

Am I kidding myself, of course it would be worse.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international