AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-02, 06:51   Link #22161
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
First of all for Railgun, using the term "spin-off" is already a problem within itself. Which is why for Railgun, I try to avoid having to refer to it as a "spin-off." I prefer to call it "side story" instead.
I use the "Side Story" terminology instead of "Spin-off".

I see some "new" People that come into the Railgun & Index franchise and think that Railgun has no relation to Index until i have to put them in there place and tell them the difference and how they entwine together.
When these people try to use the Spin-off term, I tell them to complete the rest of what they are watching then tell them to watch Index 2 and Railgun THEN try to direct them to the manga & Light Novel to fill in some of those gaps.

They tend to start using the "Side Story" term as well. Sadly these people tend to start with the Anime. (I was one of these people that used the Term "Spin-off" but i was hooked to Index once i watched the anime and looked further into it ect.....)
Old 2013-01-02, 08:24   Link #22162
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
I am really grateful that the rep system is disabled now...
uh? Now that you mention it, I can't see the rep icons anymore ... but since when did that happen?
Old 2013-01-02, 09:05   Link #22163
LazyHunter

About Kakine I think even Hamazura thought he was better than the old Mugino because he was willing to let people who weren't a threat to him alive. So I guess Kakine (at least the old Kakine, no idea how mentally stable is going to be now in his new form of existence) had some standards but threw those away when Accelerator came into play (obssesed as he was with him). Also, he was torturing Uiharu to get information about LO, I don't think he would have killed her without getting the information and maybe he would have simply left her alone afterwards because she was an even lesser threat than Hamazura and Takitsubo.

And Index has been injured pretty bad before, in the first arc, when Styl attacked her thinking she still had her Walking Church and the attack would just knock her out. But Mikoto really suffered a lot during the Sisters arc, she even went suicidal at the end. Dismissing mental damage like that isn't fair.
Old 2013-01-02, 09:19   Link #22164
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHunter View Post
And Index has been injured pretty bad before, in the first arc, when Styl attacked her thinking she still had her Walking Church and the attack would just knock her out. But Mikoto really suffered a lot during the Sisters arc, she even went suicidal at the end. Dismissing mental damage like that isn't fair.

To put it simply, almost every girl in this series gets smacked around one way or another- there's no reason why Mikoto needs to be single out to be specially beaten up.
Old 2013-01-02, 09:46   Link #22165
desrtsku
Nympholept

Yeah! And she's the only girl I like in any action series I follow that isn't either dead or stuck in the hospital at some point! And I want to preserve that until my last breath!
Old 2013-01-02, 10:15   Link #22166
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
uh? Now that you mention it, I can't see the rep icons anymore ... but since when did that happen?
It's been removed for awhile.

Good riddance, it was far too often abused to neg rep anyone you just don't disagree with for the most part, rarely was it given to actually give someone good rep in comparison.
Old 2013-01-02, 11:30   Link #22167
Sumeragi
Banned

For some reason I want to see Maria on Touma's back, even if it's only to cause another blackout in Academy City.
Old 2013-01-02, 11:45   Link #22168
Stufu

^
But I wish Kinuhata-chan on his back LOL

Maria and Seria is quite a great sibling but I prefer Seria cuz she's sexier
Old 2013-01-02, 11:47   Link #22169
Algent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
It's been removed for awhile.

Good riddance, it was far too often abused to neg rep anyone you just don't disagree with for the most part, rarely was it given to actually give someone good rep in comparison.
Yes, like any small constructive criticism to populars bad series like SAO (or Guilty Crown) could get you neg rep spammed .
Well it didn't really have consequence here, not like on RandomC where low ratings comments get hidden by the fan base.

About the spoiler for NT6 it seem to be a mix of predictable things (like who is on Touma back) and of wild guesses. It's not plausible enough for me.
Old 2013-01-02, 12:42   Link #22170
Burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
You really think that?
Oh, that's a nice and all, but going by that definition then 99% of the cast as a super crazy thick plot armor then. Why? I wonder ... maybe because if Aiwass were to get over his impartial attitude, everyone is doomed, right?
I actually think that's completely true. There's ALOT of plot armor going on in-series, especially for characters only relevant in their specific arcs.
And, well, aside from Volume 19 Aiwass hasn't been a driver of the plot. The point I'm making is that the number of over the top characters increases and increases (notably on the side of antagonists) but very little happens in the way for the central cast. And while I'm not disparaging the series at all, I'm making the point that it exists, not that it should, shouldn't or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algent View Post
Yes, like any small constructive criticism to populars bad series like SAO (or Guilty Crown) could get you neg rep spammed .
People get very butthurt when others criticize their favorite series... It's actually a little frustrating for the people discussing impartially.
Old 2013-01-02, 12:50   Link #22171
Javiersansano

Is it plausible to assume that the literal translation of Kamijou (One Who Purifies God and Exorcises the Devil), and the first translation that comes to mind when one reads Majin (Demon or Devil), is some sort of prediction?
Old 2013-01-02, 16:03   Link #22172
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
I actually think that's completely true. There's ALOT of plot armor going on in-series, especially for characters only relevant in their specific arcs.
And, well, aside from Volume 19 Aiwass hasn't been a driver of the plot. The point I'm making is that the number of over the top characters increases and increases (notably on the side of antagonists) but very little happens in the way for the central cast. And while I'm not disparaging the series at all, I'm making the point that it exists, not that it should, shouldn't or whatever.
But I didn't bring that point because I thought you were saying BS on that, nor discussing the proper definition of plot armor ... I brought it simply because it doesn't prove in anyway that's a reason to justify Miko winning, that doesn't sound legit to me :
1- What makes Miko so special if everyone has such thick plot armor? And if it comes to plot protection against injuries, Brunhild's is actually way thicker than Miko's : she avoided being raped, mutilated, tortured, etc ... simply because the guys wanted to give her fake hopes. >.> All she ever got was a few bruises, nothing compared to Miko's. And her mindbreaking experiences are nowhere near as traumatic as Miko's either.
2- 「Do you really think plot armor = instant win? Because I can enumerate dozens of example proving the opposite ... including guys who are above the concept of death in-story.」
3- Hey, how many times did she win against opponents billion times stronger than her because of the simple reason she "can't be killed"? ... I think it's 0, she clearly never won against any kind of monsters, or else why would everyone all around the world be claiming she's "weak"?
All of the opponents she's beaten so far were either fodders or slightly near her level. So why are you so sure Brunhild's case will be different? It's not like Brunhild's that consistent either, she's nothing like Kanzaki or Brocqua ... ANYONE can beat her with proper "preparations".
4- Anshin'in-san : [Instant win only belongs to protagonists! She may be a protagonist in Railgun, but not in Index.]
Old 2013-01-02, 16:16   Link #22173
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
Is it plausible to assume that the literal translation of Kamijou (One Who Purifies God and Exorcises the Devil), and
What's what "Kamijou Touma" can mean, not just Kamijou.
Old 2013-01-02, 16:35   Link #22174
Acer
Death to the infidels!

I did not think this matter was to extend that much.

Quote:
And her mindbreaking experiences are nowhere near as traumatic as Miko's either.
Brunhild had a shitty life and everyone who came in contact with her or she only spoke with were killed by the Norse nor children were forgiven. At most, it is curious that Acc vs Kakine round 2 not gained much prominence here.
Old 2013-01-02, 16:39   Link #22175
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
I did not think this matter was to extend that much.
That's because when you throw around words like 'plot armor' without knowing what the boundaries of the term actually means, it raises people's irk. For example- Kamijou surviving Aqua the first time can be and probably is plot armor; Mikoto having never to face Aqua? Is NOT a plot armor.

It's the same as when people throw around terms like 'sue' using their own definition.
Old 2013-01-02, 17:50   Link #22176
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Kakine is mentally unstable?
Yes.

He's not crazy, but I certainly wouldn't say that the Inferiority complex that drives him to attempt murder and kidnap is a product of a healthy mind.

None of the Level 5's have what I would consider a truly healthy mind, barring maybe Mikoto, and even then her inclination to fry people who annoy her, and her near miss with a least one mental break, possibly more, does not exactly let me consider her a pillar of mental stability either.
Old 2013-01-02, 17:54   Link #22177
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Yes.

He's not crazy, but I certainly wouldn't say that the Inferiority complex that drives him to attempt murder and kidnap is a product of a healthy mind.
So you're saying all killers and kidnappers are mentally unsound? Or that any villain character that does those things are unstable?

There's no difference being motivated by inferiority (Envy) and being motivated by any other reasons like Anger and Greed.

EDIT:

Sigh I'll put it in another way; Kamachi isn't exactly writing super realistic characters, so to tell if someone is unhinged, I use a very simple set of guidelines-

1) Facial Distortion.

2) Talking to yourself, especially in alien languages.

3) Sudden and drastic mood swings.

4) Gleeful smile while repeatedly committing horrendous act

5) Generally not making sense.

6) multiple personalities.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-01-02 at 18:30.
Old 2013-01-02, 18:23   Link #22178
pcrider178

hi everyone sorry if im off topic but i just got done watching the anime and im wondering which volume picks up from there since i don't want to read through stuff iv all ready seen on the show (except if there's a exciting difference).
Thank you.
Old 2013-01-02, 18:25   Link #22179
Ashaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So you're saying all killers and kidnappers are mentally unsound? Or that any villain character that does those things are unstable?

There's no difference being motivated by inferiority and being motivated by any other reasons like anger and greed.
I was hoping to only talk about Kakine, but - In essence, any person who would kill simply because they feel an overwhelming amount of hate or greed or jealousy is at least some what mentally screwed up.

That is not to say that they are insane, or that their actions can be dismissed and responsibility lifted because they are mentally unwell.

They still chose to kill, or kidnap, or whatever.

I'm not talking about the real crazies who need a nice padded room, I'm talking about the people who have let their selfish desires consume them, losing persepctive.

BTW, are you saying that you think villians that kill and kidnap are perfectly mentally healthy? Absolutly nothing wrong at all.

Edit:

Quote:
EDIT:

Sigh I'll put it in another way; Kamachi isn't exactly writing super realistic characters, so to tell if someone is unhinged, I use a very simple set of guidelines-

1) Facial Distortion.

2) Talking to yourself, especially in alien languages.

3) Sudden and drastic mood swings.

4) Gleeful smile while repeatedly committing horrendous act

5) Generally not making sense.
Yeah, thought so - I'm using the the "Deviates from normal behaviour", you are using the "Padded Room!" type of crazy.
Old 2013-01-02, 18:35   Link #22180
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrider178 View Post
hi everyone sorry if im off topic but i just got done watching the anime and im wondering which volume picks up from there since i don't want to read through stuff iv all ready seen on the show (except if there's a exciting difference).
Thank you.
Start from volume 14 and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Yeah, thought so - I'm using the the "Deviates from normal behaviour", you are using the "Padded Room!" type of crazy.
Well yeah, this is a series with tons of weirdos and quirky characters- you might as well label three quarters of the characters as mentally unsound if you use such a broad category.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen