AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-10-10, 12:48   Link #941
orangejuicetang

Spoiler for 100:

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:26   Link #942
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Spoiler:

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:55   Link #943
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Spoiler for chap 100:
Spoiler for 100:
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:05   Link #944
orangejuicetang

Spoiler for 100:

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-10-10, 16:18   Link #945
Vicious108

A scanlation has been out for a while now, I don't think you guys need to use spoiler tags anymore.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:26   Link #946
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
It's not really subdued as it is working together. During this chapter, Ling asks Greed to lend him more power, and Greed agrees. If it was the other way, then it would be more like Ling forcefully using Greed's power regardless of whether Greed wanted it or not. If you also notice, it is Greed who has control now over the body when he is "fully armored". Either that or they're sharing control, but the most likely thing is that Greed is taking into consideration Ling's feeling as well as his own. The "anybody who has someone precious get out now" is probably Greed's concession to Ling, but the "I really don't like fighting women" is definitely Greed.
Well, I say subdued because of Greed's nature. He's absolutely selfish and wants everything for himself above anything else. I doubt someone like him would willingly lend someone his power unless he had a really good reason to. I doubt dying is of any concern to him because he believes himself immortal due to the philosopher's Stone inside him. Although I don't think forcing is the correct word for it either. It's more like, they are so similar to each other that they became as though they are one, with Ling being the superior one. It's a kind of mutual partnership but Ling is the leader who does the talking and Greed does the walking.
Old 2009-10-10, 16:42   Link #947
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Spoiler for 100:
Spoiler for Chapter 63:
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 17:59   Link #948
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Well, I say subdued because of Greed's nature. He's absolutely selfish and wants everything for himself above anything else. I doubt someone like him would willingly lend someone his power unless he had a really good reason to. I doubt dying is of any concern to him because he believes himself immortal due to the philosopher's Stone inside him. Although I don't think forcing is the correct word for it either. It's more like, they are so similar to each other that they became as though they are one, with Ling being the superior one. It's a kind of mutual partnership but Ling is the leader who does the talking and Greed does the walking.
Well, first thing's first. Greed does not think himself to be immortal in anyway. In fact, it's one of his primary goals, which is obtaining immortality. It is true that Greed is well, greedy, but to say that that's the only thing he cares about is wrong. He delivered Ling's message to Ran Fan through Ed way back when they first 'fused', even though he didn't really have anything to gain. Greed had nothing to gain to fight King Bradley at the gate, but he does it. It's not like Greed goes "I see no reason for me to help you, so I won't". It's like you said, a partnership, but it definitely does not break down into "Ling is the leader who does the talking and Greed does the walking." I don't see anything that indicates this at all. There is no superior or inferior in that partnership. If anything, even if there was a superior/inferior member, the superior would be Greed. Normally, Greed is in control, except for either a. he let's Ling take control like during the fight in the dark against Gluttony, b. he freaks out which gives Ling an opening to use the body, or c. something happens that gives an incredibly emotional boost to Ling that sort of acts as an adrenaline boost which allows him to take control briefly. For a. and b., Greed takes control of his body again eventually, and as for c., I doubt he can maintain that frame of mind for very long. And if you think that Greed wouldn't be pissed off when Wrath killed Huu, you realize that one of Greed's beserk buttons is his subordinates, who he actually does care about, albeit due to greed. The same could arguably stretch over into Ling's subordinates as well, which would be another reason Greed could be angry at Bradley.

Old 2009-10-10, 19:26   Link #949
GaimeGuy

Either way, we've definitely seen the distinction between Greed and Ling become a bit blurred over the last 2-3 chapters, what with them constantly switching in and out of control, tears being shed at Fuu's death, the merger of their fighting styles, Ling speaking while Greed was putting the shield up at the same time, even Ling demanding for Greed to give him his power (and Greed complying!) Instead of competing for control, we're seeing Greed and Ling become one entity. (By the way, up until chapter 100, when Ling was in control, his hair covered his left eye. When greed was in control, his hair covered his right eye. in chapter 100, and a bit during chapter 99, we see this change in seemingly eveyr panel on eveyr page, regardless of who is in control.)

I dunno, I think the idea Arakawa is going for is that caring for others (friends, subordinates, subjects, acquaintences, whatever) can be considered a form of greed. They're YOUR friends, in other words.

What I thought she was going to end up doing with regards to Wrath (humanizing him, having him turn to good, or something like that.... which I still think there's a chance of him doing) is what arakawa ended up doing with Greed/Ling. She showed how Greed is a good thing, how it is a driving emotion tied closely with ambition (See: Mustang and Ling wanting to become rulers of their countries), how it also be considered the emotion behind friendship and comradeship. That's what she's going for.
Old 2009-10-10, 22:05   Link #950
Haladflire65
*Artist

If Mustang can so easily heal Hawkeye with Rentanjutsu, I don't think Goldtooth would've even tried to hurt her like that.

Ha. I knew Roy was going to be a human sacrifice.
Old 2009-10-10, 23:31   Link #951
orangejuicetang

I'm actually quite interested in the identity of Goldtooth now. Just who is he? Seems to be a decent enough alchemist. Seems to be fairly trusted by Father. Looks at eternal life as a small chintzy bait. Hard to tell if he aged since he injected King Bradley. Who is this man?

Old 2009-10-10, 23:57   Link #952
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Goddammit, noooooooo Riiiiizzzzaaaa! Even thought everyone has been betting she would be killed off for the past 10 or so chapters, nooooooo!
And I think that Al has reunited his soul with his body which could make things interesting, if his soul isn't there I don't think they can do the giant pentagram thing.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:01   Link #953
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
I'm actually quite interested in the identity of Goldtooth now. Just who is he? Seems to be a decent enough alchemist. Seems to be fairly trusted by Father. Looks at eternal life as a small chintzy bait. Hard to tell if he aged since he injected King Bradley. Who is this man?
High ranking scientist for the military working directly under Father. No more, no less. He's just not high profile like a general sitting on the military's high council (or whatever they call it) is. Those generals, too, also work for father.
Old 2009-10-11, 00:39   Link #954
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Actually, Mustang had a whole bunch of documents with him on Rentanjutsu when he met with grumman in the graveyard. It's possible that Mustang could have studied and taught himself some Rentanjutsu.
He was only carrying a picture of May's Panda. That doesn't make his other documents Rentanjutsu notes. They could be anything, and there's no metion of them being notes on Rentanjutsu. They could more likely be profile on May considering Roy was looking for her.
Old 2009-10-11, 01:06   Link #955
Jarmel

I have two regrets with this chapter. One is that it feels like the wheel's are spinning but we ain't going nowhere until the final page. The second is that I want Bradley dead but I have a feeling that he's going to screw up Father's plans somehow. Normally I though that it would be Bradley that would make Mustang open the gate but since it's obviously not, that implies that Bradley has some very important future role.

I am curious about Al, I wonder if this last trip was the final thing needed to push the soul over the edge. This actually makes sense because the blood seal would have needed to be decomposed and reconstructed and Al's soul might have drifted off at the decomposition phase. This doesn't matter for the other parties as their bodies act as magnets but Al doesn't have his true body.

Oh and the cool part is that once Mustang opens the gate, he won't need his gloves anymore. He can just clap and start a fire. That should definitely give him the upper hand against the Bradley rejects.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 01:18   Link #956
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Oh and the cool part is that once Mustang opens the gate, he won't need his gloves anymore. He can just clap and start a fire. That should definitely give him the upper hand against the Bradley rejects.
He'd still need to create a spark from somewhere. That's why he still needs the gloves. I think clapping before creating the spark would actually slow him down because before, he had the tranmutation circle on his glove and he didn't need to create a new one. If he has to clap every time, and then create the spark, I think it would slow him down.
Old 2009-10-11, 01:21   Link #957
Jarmel

Yea I forgot about the spark. Static electricity? I don't think he needs to clap and it's just everybody else finds it more convenient. It does allow him to do more variety now though and not just rely on the gloves.
Old 2009-10-11, 01:42   Link #958
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Yea I forgot about the spark. Static electricity? I don't think he needs to clap and it's just everybody else finds it more convenient. It does allow him to do more variety now though and not just rely on the gloves.
Yeah, but he'd be just like Ed, Al and Izumi. I'm pretty sure any one of them can transmute anything, including creating fire from sparks. We already know that Mustang's fire is one of the most destructive forms of alchemy seen so far (if not the most). We still don't see them do it like Mustang because it's inconvenient for them. Throughout the whole series, we've see Ed and Al transmute things that were already there. Mustang goes beyond that and creates the thing he wants to transmute with his gloves. He has the cricle ready for use at any time. It's true that he will be able to transmute a lot more things after opening the gate, but he won't be able to use the ability that defines him as well as he used to.
Old 2009-10-11, 01:47   Link #959
Jarmel

Well from what we saw, he got both gloves sliced I believe(I know one got sliced this chapter and the other previously?) so he might not even have an option but to use the clap. To be fair though, Arakawa might not even bring it up in the series because right after Mustang opens the gate, he gets teleported to Father's room and might not be able to use alchemy.

In fact the more I think about it, the real cliffhanger might be with Al.
Old 2009-10-11, 01:53   Link #960
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well from what we saw, he got both gloves sliced I believe(I know one got sliced this chapter and the other previously?) so he might not even have an option but to use the clap. To be fair though, Arakawa might not even bring it up in the series because right after Mustang opens the gate, he gets teleported to Father's room and might not be able to use alchemy.
For the moment, if he opens the gate, yeah he wouldn't have any other option but to clap and then create a spark. I was meaning in the long term more than anything.