3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.25%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-10, 15:28   Link #81
Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiZX View Post
Well, I compared it to Wing only because other people are comparing it to Wing. And season 2 does look to be about liberation from a single almighty Earth Federation, so I think the comparisons to Wing will only continue (because the storyline may become similar).

Besides, it's easy to compare 00 to Wing because of the pretty boy elements common to both shows. It's not necessarily a fair comparison, but it happens.
Where has it been shown that S2 will be about liberation from a single power? If anything it's the opposite since pulling the world together into one seems to be the aim of CB. If anything I see it being about pulling the parts of the world that are resisting into the EF.
Old 2008-04-10, 19:13   Link #82
Zeta Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiZX View Post
Well, I compared it to Wing only because other people are comparing it to Wing. And season 2 does look to be about liberation from a single almighty Earth Federation, so I think the comparisons to Wing will only continue (because the storyline may become similar).

Besides, it's easy to compare 00 to Wing because of the pretty boy elements common to both shows. It's not necessarily a fair comparison, but it happens.
You're cool.

I was more addressing Demongod86
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 19:35   Link #83
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Not trying to blow your thoughts into smithereens, but there is something you might be sweeping over...And that thing is called a cataclysmic armagedden (Crazy I know, but when talking Gundam this is cheese on a cracker)...Now I'm not saying Gundam 00 will try this or won't try it, but there is already a precedent for retconning technology in Gundam based on events that basically restart the world...Now both Turn A Gundam and Gundam X both specifically deal with world's that are in-effect forced to start over because of cataclysmic events...If Gundam 00 wanted to (not that they should) at some point blend the timeline there is relevance in Gundam lore to support it...

In the UC there are seemingly countless colonies, so many colonies that some have been destroyed and or abandoned just floating in space...If blended this could be easily explained as the tail-end of the effort started hundreds (Maybe even thousands) of years ago created in the 00-verse...Once space-colonies are fully functional and transport to space pretty nominal, why even have the elevators? That's if they weren't already destroyed in the events that forced the 00 world to dissapear...I mean the people who started the "Universal Century" (In this context) may have started it because they didn't really know what year it was^^...

Getting back to the technology, it can easily digress in a situation similar to how it regressed in Turn A...The dystopian world is created without people even knowing it's been created...Furthermore, in this world ignorance is bliss and if Wright-Brother planes are still flying around like it's all good, then it's all good (like in Turn A)...My point is whenever the technology is re-shaped it doesn't have to be as l33t as the lost technology it truly is...I mean think about the ridiculous technology in MSG...While now it looks pretty tame, for the universe itself, psyco-frames, colony stability, minovsky particles, Cyber-human evolution, fin-funnels (which are just pre-programmed bits in 00 instead of a much more advanced mind gear in UC)..Again Minovsky particles, hmm...Maybe GN Tau technology really did pollute the earth to the point some dude named Minovsky found it's toxic reminisce all over the earth (But to him it's just a new scientific discovery that screws with radars)...What I'm really getting at here is that while Gundam 00 SEEMS more advanced than UC in technology, it's really not at all...Additionally things in the UC can be seen as a progression of a destroyed 00 world...You might find the Gundam-head, but never the GN Drive...Nevertheless it still sparks an idea that somehow gets into the hands of Amuro's dad...

Now again I don't prescribe to Gundam 00 taking this course and while I'll stand by my point that it is a prequel in essence, it can be a symbolic prequel without ever being a true prequel...However if somehow, someway, with the twists and turns, and intellectual writing this show has delivered on various levels, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they pull some "Sixth Sense" type of jawdropper in the end connecting it with the UC timeline...Remember before this show even started all the buzz was that Sunrise was gonna do a UC again if they didn't do another CE...Just food for thought, but I don't think you can easily dismiss the concept that some are getting at...
The thing is, while this might make for some very good fanfiction, it would entail the largest retcon in Gundam history, overturning decades of established backstory even in the animation itself. They aren't going to make 00 the prequel to UC by resetting EVERYTHING.Linky to a complete timeline, from AD to UC. Near the top of the page, you'll see how they (cannonically) can tell you the dates UC began. UC 0080 is actually over a century BEFORE the events of 00.

Now for other points:

Take the cataclysmic option: one of the first things of both series that do it is that the cataclysm not only regresses technology (except for the mechs, which remain and thus can (eventually) be reverse engineered), but utterly shatters population. Utterly. No indication from any source has ever so much as hinted at that kind of happening in UC, ever. That isn't the kind of backstory event that can be skipped. And even if there was a cataclysm (and at this point the only real one would be elevator destruction), it doesn't wipe out the technology. In X such, the technology was still there to be studied. MS technology would still exist. Knowledge of MS would still exist. What wouldn't exist would be fleets of jets and conventional aircraft carriers has used in UC, because those are already obsolete in 00. Cataclysm may or may not be the fate of 00, but it won't be what makes 00 into UC. (And, FYI, UC was intentionally chosen as the year the EF's space colonization project started: in 00, colonies have already been in development for awhile.)

In UC, the only abandoned/ "forgotten" colonies are the ones that were destroyed in the One Year War. But colony construction isn't the only use of the Elevators: their most important use is powering the world. Their are no nuclear plants in 00. There is no need for them either, meaning no Jupiter energy fleet. Solar power is the only source of energy (besides possibly true GN drives) in 00, and the infrastructure to make it to UC does not exist.

The point about technology isn't that 00 has better technology than UC: it's that 00 already has technology that for UC was a long series of "firsts." The first bipedal mobile suit, the first beam weapon, the first transforming mobile suit, these are all first-time inventions in late UC that are well established practices in 00. These wouldn't be first time occurance if 00 was truelly the beginning of UC. Minonsky, too, has his own backstory: there are sources on the basics (and mathmatics) of Minovsky physics, and they include nothing about light particles or GN particles. Minovsky physics are a closed book. They aren't even dangerous in of themselves: you can breath them, pour them on your cereal and eat them. Except when put into a form to kill you, they aren't anything that special.

I got no problem if you want to say 00 will be the prequel of another series or timeline (I won't agree, but that's different), but it won't be UC.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 19:35   Link #84
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Where has it been shown that S2 will be about liberation from a single power? If anything it's the opposite since pulling the world together into one seems to be the aim of CB. If anything I see it being about pulling the parts of the world that are resisting into the EF.
Any idea who's resisting? Anyone cool? How about Texas? Is Texas putting up a fight? You can always count on Texas.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 04:10   Link #85
Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Any idea who's resisting? Anyone cool? How about Texas? Is Texas putting up a fight? You can always count on Texas.
How about growing up and posting something useful for once? Or is reading up on the latest info too much like hard work for you?
Old 2008-04-11, 07:22   Link #86
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
How about growing up and posting something useful for once? Or is reading up on the latest info too much like hard work for you?
So much contempt. How about just answering the freakin' question, or not saying anything at all? And what's up with the hard work crack? You don't remember me making hundreds of post in a thread with many of them being pages long? Just because people apparently have a hard time understanding my point of view and it's obvious that I hated the show overall, people think I'm just a mindless troll, and neg rep me without a thought.

Bloody fanboys.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 07:41   Link #87
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Its because you don't contribute at all to any of the discussions Wesley. You simply distort the facts so you can justify your blind hate for the series. None of your posts really use factual evidence from the series.

There's nothing wrong with the fact that you don't like 00. Thats perfectly fine. However, the way you go about proving that dislike is the problem.
Old 2008-04-11, 08:49   Link #88
4Tran

Please quit all this sniping. It's established that Wesley84 dislikes Gundam 00, but there's nothing really wrong with that. If you want to disagree with his points or to refute his arguments, then go ahead and do so, but cut out these snide accusations.
Old 2008-04-11, 11:21   Link #89
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Plus quoting him ruins the point of me putting him on the ignore list.

Now, back to topic, I somewhat worry that now that the EF has come, 00 is going to jettison most of the political people and setup that interested me last season. Even if they are nominally in the EF, I hope to see the Union, the AEU, and the HRL jostle for influence and their own interests inside of it.
Old 2008-04-11, 11:41   Link #90
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Plus quoting him ruins the point of me putting him on the ignore list.

Now, back to topic, I somewhat worry that now that the EF has come, 00 is going to jettison most of the political people and setup that interested me last season. Even if they are nominally in the EF, I hope to see the Union, the AEU, and the HRL jostle for influence and their own interests inside of it.
I do believe that, all the applause at the end of ep25 when EF was announced is just a bubble waiting to pop.

While that is a worthy storyline to follow up on, I'd honestly wouldn't count on it too much. Given the line in the interview that said 'not all nations are happy to be within the EF', I think we'll see at the very least, a few plot effectors (aka devices) emanating from that.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 13:11   Link #91
TehSanity
Lurker

Animation Quality: 10
Obviously Flawless in HD. Nuff said.

Voice Actors: 9
Most of the character's voices just fit the character perfectly. Although a few voices just got annoying and gave this a 9. (Louise)

Editing: 9
Near Flawless editing of stuff. Don't know much more than that.

Plot: 8.5
Certainly an interesting plot, but not the best we've seen from a Gundam series. Okay... the first 13 episodes served to give the current situation of the world and some character development. The backstory was certainly interesting with the 3 major factions and interventions to end war. It was nice to see Celestial Being have the upper hand at first but then lost it later to the United Nations army. However, certain elements of backstory are still missing for example Celestial Being itself and the Solar Wars that precede the story. It seemed intentional to leave things out and answer the questions in the next season.

Characters: 9
Each of the meisters (except Tieria) have an interesting backstory. However, some things seem to be unclear or left out. Seems that again, Sunrise is leaving stuff for the next season. Also, character develpment was nice. The most profound was obviously Tieria after Lockon's death. It is nice to see the villians (or heroes) have a story of their own and development. The story's focus on them gives the impression that some of them may actually be the good guys. (They were just minding their own business until it rained Gundam intervention.)

Music: 8.5
Basically, I love all 4 openings and endings. I love some more than others though *cough*daybreak*cough*. The BGMs were good enough to make me buy the CD. Again, some BGMs better than others.

Overall: 9
Certainly one of my favourite Gundam series.

It was nice to see a return to older Gundam series like Wing and back after seeing two not very good gundam series. *cough*seed*cough* Before some Seed fan kills me, Seed and Seed Destiny were enjoyable and fun to watch, but it is by no means the best Gundam has to offer. It has its flaws, but Gundam 00 was certainly one of the better Gundam series in the years with much potential for much more.
One of the best things I saw was the realism of the series. It still wasn't realistic to the point of true war with plot devices saving the meisters (Thrones, Trans-Am), however, it is good to see a good amount of realism with things like grunts with skill actually damaging the gundams, and character deaths (Lockon!!!). No invincible gundams shooting infinite giant lasers with grunts who don't know how to move.
Hopefully, questions will be answered in the next season with more character development.
TehSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:12   Link #92
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
I do believe that, all the applause at the end of ep25 when EF was announced is just a bubble waiting to pop.

While that is a worthy storyline to follow up on, I'd honestly wouldn't count on it too much. Given the line in the interview that said 'not all nations are happy to be within the EF', I think we'll see at the very least, a few plot effectors (aka devices) emanating from that.
Really? What interview was that? What else did they say?
(Is curious)
Old 2008-04-11, 18:30   Link #93
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Really? What interview was that? What else did they say?
(Is curious)
Just click here...

Oh and good counter-points on the UC discussion, I've just been too busy to respond...
Old 2008-04-12, 03:46   Link #94
anselfir
Style Über Alles

this made me lol more than lucky star. the robot on robot rape scenes were hilarious, same goes for the main char's approach to peace chick. where else could i find a guy who travels a few thousand kilos to meet with teh peace chick, in the middle of the night, just to ask a simple question he could have asked to himself while staring at the ceiling. it could have been the most epic pick up line of all time, but alas, the young man was too melancholic.

the politics is simply hilarious. but unfortunately ive been overexposed to silly political discussions. i simply do not care anymore about politics in popular culture.

in short, it is so bad that it is pretty entertaining. i only watched this to laugh at it with some friends though.

Last edited by anselfir; 2008-04-12 at 04:09.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 04:39   Link #95
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
this made me lol more than lucky star. the robot on robot rape scenes were hilarious, same goes for the main char's approach to peace chick. where else could i find a guy who travels a few thousand kilos to meet with teh peace chick, in the middle of the night, just to ask a simple question he could have asked to himself while staring at the ceiling. it could have been the most epic pick up line of all time, but alas, the young man was too melancholic.

the politics is simply hilarious. but unfortunately ive been overexposed to silly political discussions. i simply do not care anymore about politics in popular culture.

in short, it is so bad that it is pretty entertaining. i only watched this to laugh at it with some friends though.
Aw man, I can see a storm coming. Good luck bro.

Anyway, I really don't know what direction Gundam 00 will head to in season 2. I think it's pretty dumb if EF turns out to be something like the Titans, and Celetial Beings are now the new AEUG. Another possibility is a third faction, (maybe something from Libonze or Veda) maybe they've been building another celestial being group...?
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 05:22   Link #96
anselfir
Style Über Alles

i guess that me doing political philosophy as srs business makes me unable to take the political drama here seriously.

Last edited by anselfir; 2008-04-12 at 06:05.
Old 2008-04-12, 12:04   Link #97
Kineas
Standing Alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
i guess that me doing political philosophy as srs business makes me unable to take the political drama here seriously.
I also do political philosophy as 'serious business'. Along with international relations, I might add.

Whilst it'll be a pleasant surprise to see some director capable of incorporating 'serious political philosophy' into an anime without turning it into a bore, I don't entertain high expectations in this regard for a TV series produced for the general public.

That being said, I only was persuaded into watching Gundam 00 halfway into the series because my friend (who does international relations as 'serious business') told me that it wasn't the cheesy trainwreck that Destiny was.

He wasn't wrong. The actions taken by the major political actors (i.e. AEU, Union, HRL) can be rationalised decently by anyone with a two-bit knowledge of current affairs and international relations.
Setsuna's nighttime visit to Marina is a poor example to prove otherwise: Apart from being an underaged soldier, Setsuna is an idealistic nutjob working for an equally idealistic nutjob secret organization that seeks to enforce world peace by arbitary armed interventions.
While it was surprising that Setsuna would do something that weird (perhaps not by Setsuna's standards, seeing that he's willing to risk his life to prove intangible points i.e. what Gundam really means, yada yada), it'll be far more out of character for Setsuna if he actually hit on Marina (in a romantic sense) during that bedtime scene. Thus on this note, Gundam 00 has actually done a decent job so far in keeping their characters 'in character'. The politicians of the HRL/Union/AEU don't do 'unrealistic' stuff like laying down their arms and embracing Celestial Being as an ally; idealists such as Setsuna don't act according to a 'rational cost-benefit analysis' for personal gain; ordinary civilians such as Saji are apathetic until the war affects them directly.

To cut things short, since I'm bored of typing already: I would think that it's possible to find plenty of political commentaries within Gundam 00. Not purely within political philosophy, but perhaps intermixed with international relations.

Knowing how passionate and irrational people can get when discussing politics, I wouldn't want to bring this thread there.
Kineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 14:51   Link #98
anselfir
Style Über Alles

First, I didn't pay too much attention to the political drama in this, as I was watching it with friends. So the political stuff in the show does not mean an overview of the political drama after exhaustive reflection but a view that is affected by things like screentime given to factions and events. In terms of how the show doles out the attention, i find it still operating on or servicing a less than srs view of how politics actually works. The diplomats et all should at least be analysed somewhat, have some ideological conflicts internally or with other talking heads.

The show is idealistic political drama, and usually, to make a show of high level on this topic, you either do ideological criticism and showcase a progressive political vision (i.e. philosophy), or showcase clever and heroic political maneuvering. On the former, we have either idealistic bimbos whose consistency and sophistication recall shadows of the immortal SUZAKU!!!!111, or musty realist politicians still operating with that nationalistic model. It is still power politics that I and others see as an obstacle to true political progress. As for the clever heroic political operative, I dont see it. it might be my lapse of attention, but i am usually sensitive to smart moves in animu because of the rarity of these moments in general.
Old 2008-04-12, 20:18   Link #99
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I gave the show solid 9, I thought it was great and it actually went above my expectation. The animation was really amazing and my god little to no reused animation! I thought the character were pretty interesting especially their background stories and though I might add that their personality was bit boring. Though there were many interesting characters like Graham, Lockon, Setsuna, and Ali. The story was decent but so far I don't know how it will go and curious about what those Innovators ( I think that's what Libbon's group was called) will do. At least the cliff-hanger wasn't like Code Geass. I think that this has been a great show so far, but still if I remember what happened to Destiny anything could happen. Then again that's why they split into two season.
Old 2008-04-12, 22:49   Link #100
WhiteWings

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 7
Editing: 9

I liked the series. It was pretty good although a few flaws made me frustrated at how the series came so close to being a excellent series.

The only reason I gave the script a 7 out of 10 is because there were a two things I had some annoyance against. One was that the Trinitys came in and came out just freakin too fast. The other is whether or not people like Marina she really didn't have much of a role so far to the point that she didn't deserve any time with the openings and ending. Couldn't there have been a more better and creative way for Marina to meet Setsuna?

At least there were far less, if any, repetitive mobile suit action routines being repeated as it did in Gundam SEED and GSD. Very refreshing.