AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-20, 04:12   Link #20181
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
DVD Special updates?

*runs faster*

Spoiler for DVD Special teaser:

Well, yeah. That's what Hayate bought at the Lolita Shop.

Now I need to find the suitable Widuri in Goth Lolita dress picture. also, Goth Lolita Frieda is fine, too.

*runs*

EDIT:
page claim!
Old 2008-02-20, 04:24   Link #20182
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post

Now I need to find the suitable Widuri in Goth Lolita dress picture. also, Goth Lolita Frieda is fine, too.

*runs*

EDIT:
page claim!

And so begins The Education of Widuri in the... important aspects of human interaction

With a most able teacher in Hayate, nothing can go wrong

*runs*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-20, 04:28   Link #20183
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Is it too late to comment on this? This looks fun. I am taking a masochistic attitude already to 7Arcs' treatment of Hayate...
No. By all means, say what you want and think about the matter. This isn't a closed discussion.

Quote:
Ultimately, the thread decides, and I see that most people are desperately trying to forget the canon in every way possible, so it is going to pass, but for what its worth, here's my more canonically-based take.
Frankly, I never expected a day like this would come. Let's see...

Quote:
Quite frankly, this is entirely the wrong approach for Hayate. "Range attack" should be separated as Hectometric and Decametric.

Hayate actually has a precious near Ownership over the Hectometric range covering into the Kilometric. I'm not sure how much h3xx went into the OCs but if we just take canon combat (which this thread is supposed to align to), people that can even SHOOT to the hectometric ranges are rare (never mind actually hitting). It was considered an impossible shot to shoot to ~100m (Ep5 A's). The only other character who undisputedly shot to hectometrics was Dieci (and she's a borg shooting at a helo). Hayate, on the other hand, has that as a regular battle zone.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Without Reinforce, she'll probably lack long-range sensors that will support attacks to the kilometric depth, but a hectometric shoot by eye is still possible (teach her how to use a stadiametric rangefinder so she knows whether to detonate the rounds at 500 or 600m). SO when possible, she should in fact stay at range where her opponent can't even reply and use her huge magical reserve to area bombard her opponent into submission.

Frankly, the best way for Hayate to cover her decametric butt within the bounds of known abilities, IMO, is simply to eliminate easy access to the decametric - the "Wall of Steel" approach. Raise a shield, then Fire Hraesvelgr or Diabolic Emission at her own position. That won't win simulated fights, but in a RL situation will buy time for others to come and pick her chestnuts out of the fire.
Yes. I don't find anything wrong with most of these...

And in my case, I guess it's more of just using author's freedom. But I'll try to make it as accurate to canon as much as I can to a certain degree. So I'll keep this in mind.

Quote:
Theorizing will require the use of at least one canon observation for a base. Since you didn't propose any and I don't remember any, wouldn't fantasizing be more appropriate? They were pretty final with the whole Lose to Carol thing (and no, I don't think she was joking at all given the context - I must wonder what "facial expressions" the pro-joke crowd expected for a non-joke response. Rein is sighing in utter despair, and Teana is desperate to leave because she obviously touched a sore spot). They didn't just restrict it to melee, just one on one (which includes melee).

However, I will grant that given 2 years of work, she could improve to adequacy, but see below.
Contending some of the facts here, I think your right. If one were to ask me for an example, I would cite episode 25 (going straight into a gamut of drones) as one instance, but they never showed anything after her swinging her staff so it's very inconclusive. At least to me, that's not very uniform for them. And it certainly does give some implications that one can run on, whether or not their accuracy is in question or not.

Quote:
I suppose that's OK, but you might look at it from another angle. It might actually have been less of a character assassination for Hayate to have neglected her melee skills for so long if her body isn't really up to practicing the body moves required for melee. Maybe we don't see her exercising because she gets exhausted within 5 minutes of exercise.
:nods: Probably. But then, that's also speculation. To tell you the truth, I'm basing it on how she jumped down a pretty high van in episode 2. Totally shoddy for a basis, I know. But it's better than nothing. At least in my version she doesn't have your proposed condition. And until conclusive evidence that she's asthmatic (just comparison) in canon, I guess it's still alright, yes?

Quote:
Actually, it does compute. The canon actually suggests that magical defenses are really more about Proper Construction than Raw Power, which is why Yunno has great shields despite being an A-rank. Since Hayate has problems with magical precision and speed, it is entirely possible that even with lots of power, she cannot construct it into an adequate architecture. You don't need an excess of material to make a strong bridge - you need good design and good construction, otherwise, you have a pile of concrete.

Losing to Caro actually does require severe difficulties in Hayate's magical defense.
Okay. But then, I'm making some theories on the fly here to at least accomodate some some of my ideas. One is a kind of barrier that just plainly releases energy that does not need much work of molding. Compensating with a lot of power released (she could afford it) to cover up the lack of construction. It goes directly opposite the bridge example you gave me, I know. But it could still work somehow.

Quote:
You are really fighting the canon now... if we blow away all her single combat weaknesses to an emphasis on becoming a Commander, and StrikerS is the result, what is your basis for saying she's going to improve to Good/Excellent in just two extra years.
Okay... So maybe not. But then again, this is fanfiction, ne? If the basis were myself, I'm no expert in tactics at all. And what I would bring out in the future would most certainly have some serious flaws if critiqued by persons such as yourself and Mirificus. But I at least know and can see canon made some grievous mistakes, and I'm not promising at all that I can correct such by just giving inserted canon characters a year or two to improve. But still, I'm just going to find a middle-ground. I can't compare to Wild Goose, Kagerou, Tk, Liingo, and some others about proper tactical scenes. But in this case, it might even be slightly helpful since if canon shows them to be so unfit for RL standards, then I can at least raise the bar a bit to make it more canon-like. I.E. my works would most likely be dumbed down RL tactical fare, but I'll try to at least make it better than what canon has shown. It's still relatively safe and possibly feel at least 'right' for canon, and I'm willing to accept advice from those who know better than me.

Quote:
Good speed is fine, but I suggest poor acceleration (which is related to agility) and a slow-ramp up (consider a steam boiler plant versus a gas turbine plant).
Noted. But from what they've shown, all the four who jumped out of the Arthra accelerated at pretty much at the same pace after henshin-ing. Of course, I'm not saying that she should be as quick as the others, but at least there's still a possible leeway for a flight performance that looks a bit brighter than what you suggested.

Quote:
I suggest you beef up Tiara. Hayate is locked thanks to canon, but Tiara is your creation. Blame every improvement you want to make in spellcasting and decametric combat on Tiara's "improved magic control".
That's exactly what I'm doing! To a much lesser degree, at least. I don't want to make it look like everything can be solved just by getting a great device upgrade. And yes, Tiara does exactly what you mentioned, plus some more. BTW, do you think that an option for forcefully sucking out power (via Schwertkreuz, maybe?) from the user to be released and molded later is fine? I'm going along the lines that Hayate can't tap into her power, as in having problems drawing it out, but at least not using it. Or maybe should I just attribute the molding part into the device/s' doing as well?

Quote:
Emphasis is one thing. Not beating Caro is another. Second, a good officer is prepared for all eventualities (such as the enemy having brains of their own, or an unfavorable tactical situation). Third, the ultimate shaft is that she isn't even that good of a commander.
I'm not going to argue with you about this at all. Since I mainly agree.

Quote:
While Aaron made a superb defense here, I'll still like to object to the idea that adult Nanoha and Fate were portrayed as "flawless". When you consider their jobs, all three of them arguably failed miserably. Hayate's failures as a commander are too rehashed in episode threads to recount here (just search for posters "arkhangelsk" or "Mirificus" in those threads and you'll immediately be on a Hayate-bashing discussion)
It's heartening to know that my defense at least amounted to something to deserve superb as a classification. And yes, I've seen so much of your and Mirificus' bashings since I was watching all the episode threads post-per-post as well.

Quote:
How much progress did Fate make as an Investigator? None visible. Verossa might make a one line note of Fate and Nakajima's investigation, but from the screen, you might as well conclude that Verossa solved in 5 mintues what Fate couldn't solve for half a year.

Nanoha as a trainer ... well, she was forced to shoot Teana. Ironically, Teana was arguably the best-developed of the four. The rest of them grew in combat skills, but psychologically and tactically they are still... sigh. They don't even have discipline.

In decisions, what about that near-tragic decision to split up inside the Cradle. If what happened could actually be called a success, Hayate is a great commander.
I think Kagerou's reply below sums up my opinion as well. Of course, I still don't know as much as you guys.

Quote:
Fate has horrible moral-psychological preparation for combat, as proved when Scarlietti nearly broke her. Only a lame lovey scene saved her from defeat. Pathetic if you ask me.
Yep. But I like to attribute it as standard Mahou Shoujo fair. It's still an integral part of the series as much as it is technicalized...

Quote:
The difference is that Nanoha and Fate actually had strengths and 7Arcs doesn't seem so intent to make it look like they aren't even trying.
Which just goes to prove the botched-up job.

Thanks for going over this, ark. It may not exactly be very compatible with what I've been doing, but there will be some good things to come out of this once I get the fic going. It's a good standard to review in case I have some balancing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou
In regards to the whole thing, I really only have to say this: The reason that these things seem ridiculous to us is because we at least have a clue when it comes to stuff like this. 7arcs doesn't know shit about shit when it comes to tactics and whatnot; they only did what they thought was right, which, as people like me and you can see, is utter crap.
That's certainly one way of putting it. Can I ask for your help at some points, Kagerou?

I'll tackle the rest of the backlog later.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2008-02-20, 04:49   Link #20184
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Personally, my reasons for not replying to works are just as follows:

Chiefly, I'm used to giving actual detailed feedback. This means that every single word will be scrutinized, and I'll point out every spelling or grammatical error. I'll point out trivial plot holes, argue about writing styles, and generally take the whole thing very seriously. (Mind you, I also make suggestions for improvement; if I can't personally think of a way to improve something, even if I don't like it, I leave it be.)

That approach does not seem suited for this thread.

I usually keep my opinions to myself, because even though I'd be overjoyed if someone did the same to me, I don't know if anyone else here will be as welcoming of having their hard work ripped to shreds. And if they happen to be having a Bad Day, I don't want to be the one they take it out on.
Actually I prefer this approach of yours. I'm of the opinion that if an idea cannot withstand from being ripped to shreds, then the idea itself was flawed to begin with and thus need to be revised no matter how long it may take or how much more extra work I've have to put in. Stubbornly defending my ideas will not make me a better thinker nor a better writer and your scrutinizing ways help bring up the level of writing in a person and help polish the story to be something better. If I cannot take criticism, then I've got no business writing and showing others what I've written in the first place.
Quote:
Actual replies time.

Mostly I wanted to know why "left-wing", since, at least in the modern interpretation, what you described is not very left-wing, but is usually seen to be right-wing (not due to definitions, but because of politicians who identify as right-wing). Now, historically (not very old history, too) some politicians (in various countries) who are technically "left-wing" have expressed similar sentiments, so it's not incorrect as such, but you're either going to have to explain what sort of "left-wing" you mean, or avoid loaded political terms altogether.

It's a semantics thing. Your description there is enough for me.
Okaaay... I not too sure what exactly you mean but I think I got the gist of it. So you're saying I need to describe what is the agenda of the Left Wing Extremists?

Quote:
An external organization is "better", in my view, mostly because it requires less dancing around potential plot holes. An internal rogue faction could work, but it has all the problems of answering why they haven't gotten caught or even suspected yet, and how they got that far without someone accidentally revealing some secret.

The problem with a conspiracy is that the members all need to be completely dedicated to their cause, since it takes just one traitor to blow the whole thing. Yes, the traitor may not survive their treachery, but by then it's too late. Therefore, the conspiracy needs to have as many of the following as possible: high-ranking (and thus "above suspicion") conspirators, fanatical devotees to the cause, and as few members as possible. The more people who are involved, the more likely a secret will get out.
Hmmm... actually I was thinking of something a little different. I was planning to have alot of very low-ranking people like the common enforcers who lost friends team mates to powerful criminals, poor leadership etc.. , clerks in the records departments, junior scientists, assistants to more powerful people etc... all these people will be carefully selected. To me, the more high-rankers you have, the more scrutiny you'll be under. It is my belief that most of the lower ranks are not actively being scrutinized as opposed to the higher ranks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
As for the plan, well, after they subjugate the non-administered worlds, who's going to govern them and stop them from rebelling? How are they going to go about the conquest in the first place? Taking just Earth as an example, we have the much-dreaded projectile weapons, and we also have nukes, as well as military leaders short-sighted enough to want to use them. So before they take over the non-administered world, they're going to need all the resources of the TSAB and at least some non-aggression from the TSAB's allies like Saint Church. Which means some sort of building up period, since, yanno, they'll just have finished a civil war.
The plan is to conquer Midchilda and at least neutralize their allies before going out after the non administrated worlds. This attack on Midchilda will be very deadly as the VUDs will be activated very suddenly and those that managed to fight off the "possession" attempts will still be hindered by the VUDs in them as well as facing impossible odds as the mass majority will not be able to fight off the VUDs "possession" attempts.

The conquest of the TSAB main HQ in the dimensional sea is also a critical step in order to gain access to the Infinite Library as well as the warships. An attack here will happen simultaneously with the one on Midchilda. In order to conquer the non administrated worlds, those warships will be needed. Then I'll start to consolidate my position and start building up my forces for the next step, by getting resources from uninhibited worlds.

As for the conquest of the non administrated worlds, it should be simple enough although it might not reach this step as I think the heroes will counter attack before I even reach this point. Anyway, taking Earth for example, even with "the much-dreaded projectile weapons, and we also have nukes, as well as military leaders short-sighted enough to want to use them", it shouldn't be much of a problem.

First, I think it is canonly proven that Earth is unable to detect the TSAB warships else they would have detected the Asura in orbit during the events in A's. Second, I'm not planning to land any troops but launch attacks from orbit instead. I don't think they can shoot something they cannot detect. Also, I got the VUDs, which by design, are used to take over an enemy's forces and use it against them. I'm probably cheating but the VUDs is most important element in my plan.

And if those short sighted military leaders decided to use nukes against those "infected"... well this poses a moral problem to Wild Goose's and Kagerou's OCs whom if I remember correctly, want to prevent something like what happen to their world from happening on other worlds... Would they aid the Terrans or work against them :evilgrin:
Quote:
This is why I postulated a leader, who is charismatic enough to create those fanatics, and convince the high-ranking personnel that it would all work out, despite the obvious illegality and immense impracticality of the whole thing.

But since that leader needs to go about creating this conspiracy in the first place, they're obviously not charismatic enough to just take over the TSAB by words rather than by conflict.

This, incidentally, could work anyway, as evidenced by the coup d'etats in our own Earth history. But the end results of the coups tend not to be stable enough to go looking for trouble elsewhere, as opposed to keeping the peace at home.
Like I've said, I'm still at the thinking stage. Most likely I've to use an external organization like what you and others have said. I think I'll need to watch more Gundam 00 and figure out how Celestial Being actually managed to do it.

Please poke more holes in my ideas so I can deliver a quality story. If possible, could you suggest which parts can be salvaged for use?
Old 2008-02-20, 05:03   Link #20185
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Hmmm... actually I was thinking of something a little different. I was planning to have alot of very low-ranking people like the common enforcers who lost friends team mates to powerful criminals, poor leadership etc.. , clerks in the records departments, junior scientists, assistants to more powerful people etc... all these people will be carefully selected.

Oh my god....

FIGHT CLUB!
Old 2008-02-20, 05:17   Link #20186
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Feh, didn't feel like working on story tonight, so after Roland, I played some game, then got in the mood for technical hashing...

so I present to you..

Spoiler for THIS:

I didn't realize until I was mid-way through that I turned it into a lightning element weapon.

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2008-02-20 at 05:35.
Old 2008-02-20, 05:25   Link #20187
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

When civilians are in trouble, they call the TSAB. But when the TSAB is in trouble, they call...

CLERIC-KNIGHTS

The best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be.
Go anywhere, kill anything.
They are most comfortable knee deep in Hell while kicking ass big time.
They answer to no one and no one, except the Light itself.

~~~~~~

The Cleric-Knight is not your Ace Enforcer. He is not meant for petty arrests and investigations.
He is the relentless weapon of the Light that never hesitates, never regrets.
His sole aim is the purification of the infected and the extermination of great evils.
He is the crusader, the Judge, the executioner rolled into one.
Light help you if they ever come for you.

~~~~~~

Daemons, Heretics, Evil. Your time is over.

CLERIC-KNIGHTS

The buck stops here.

~~~~~~

Authorized by the Regional Government of Belka.

~~~~~~

The following is an excerpt from a file detailing the nature of the Cleric-Knights in general:
Spoiler for Full Codex:
~~~~~~

Notable Members of the Cleric-Knights and Celestial Being

| | | | | |

PS: Oh shoot me for making this character shrine. :P This post made me go @_@ at the sheer complexity. I did something like that before, but to rebuild it was really >_<.

Last edited by Kha; 2008-02-20 at 06:25.
Old 2008-02-20, 05:29   Link #20188
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
So that's how Aurion became one of the Ala Altra.
Fixed.

Quote:
Though I wonder who can share the dynamics of the relationship between Keroko and her uke partner. Since it does involve a fair of amount of pain.
... Somehow Sousuke comes into mind in every way...

A Sunohara/Sousuke hybrid of a character...

Quote:
Not as much as I want to see more of TomoyoxTomoya, especially after reading the Tomoyo After manga.
The only thing I'm going to say to that is...

Damn you KEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryAeon View Post
So Ala Altra is not even affiliated with the TSAB?
They are, but the nicknames, the fame and their 'Ala Altra' existence is solely a 'small legend in a small world'.

Quote:
Which novel is this? Is it translated? I only read up to FMP: COMO.
Latest one, titled Nick of Time, which is implied to be the 2nd to last FMP 'serious' novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
There's specialisation... and then there's stupidity. Franz has never quite understood why Hayate acts the way she does. Despite being a pwn puppy, he's the best shot in the OFM with the MA5C. He sucks with the battle rifle and sucks ass with the sniper rifle, but is still capable using them. Just not very well... He actually shoots better with iron sights than without, strangely.
It's even more stupid considering that Nanohaverse does have a system that allows one to train while work. I mean... 9 year old Nanoha pretty much does 'regulated' training while doing school homework and field ones on more practical assestments.

Quote:
Yes, family drama.

Yuuno's relationship with Vivio.... will be revealed. But he won't be having that much time in Cranagan, because the OFM base is far far away from Cranagan... and he's Alpha Platoon's medic/designated marksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post

HOLY SHI--!!!

WANT.

I intend to.

Quote:
Now the question is, why would she suddenly decide to take up a more active role in combat? This could be a good idea for your scenarios - giving Hayate a motivation to become better in combat instead of just staying at headquarters commanding her troops. Of course, you still gotta keep in mind her position - she falls and her entire unit may fall apart. She has an important role, not just in battle.
She doesn't EVEN need to get off her chair to improve her combat abilities. She doesn't have an I.D, yes, but if R.H can provide mental-image training as good as the real thing, I don't see how they cannot create something similar in Nanohaverse for general use.

The issue is not of taking a more active role, the issue is being constantly prepared for the future, by analyzing ones weakness, strengths, and constantly making an effort to better one's self. One never know when things can turn ugly and saying 'if the enemy can reach me, lol we might as well give up' is not the right mentality.

Quote:
But Nanoha is VERY different from Hayate. She is a frontline aggressor and constantly takes part of missions, unlike Hayate, who most of the time sits back and commands her unit, only few times actually leaving HQ for the battle field (when she is needed), as we have seen in StrikerS. Since Aaron's scenarios take place 2 years after StrikerS, then Hayate must be worse than before (as in very rusty), given her position as a Lt. Colonel.

And just to make it clear, my favorite ace is Hayate. While Aaron feels the need to develop her further (something that I also want), I feel the need to make sure she stays as Hayate. One of the reasons why Hayate is my favorite Ace, and I would dare say favorite character, is that she actually has weaknesses. Probably you guys wont feel the same as me, but I feel that Nanoha and Fate are way too perfect. They are both good at everything, they dont make any mistakes, all their decisions are correct, and stuff. They are just 19 years old, and yet there is not much room for character development in regards to their combat abilities, and even power, since they have already reached almost unreachable ranks by TSAB standards (S+ and above). There is just room for developments such as how to become a mother and crap ... at 19 years old ... Not saying that those developments are automatically crap, just that a 19 year old girl should be doing other stuff.
Aaron's already said about this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Wow we passed the 1000 mark... Not going to have fun digging through 3 days worth of backlog considering I didn't know where I last posted... Or maybe I never did...
Oh well guess I'll find out. In the mean time! I do have a gift for you all.
Kinda. Maybe less of a "gift" and more of a "well what do ya think!?"

All is WIP of course.
LOL, so death by magical pain?

Quote:
Really? I think they make good antagonist faction cannon fodder.
I prefer these. :3

Spoiler:

I get to see real life girls wearing cheongsam sometimes during Chinese New Year in my country. Though I must say its quite rare around here. Not many people seem to want to wear our traditional clothes any more. My friend called it the deterioration of our culture, and I have to sadly agree that it is true.

Quote:
Especially at Goose, we Malaysians need to stick together! (Poor USB is alone in Sarawak though) So anyway, am trying to devour backlogged MLSN Alphas chapters now. Do hope I don't get stomach ache from eating too much. (should it be brain ache in this case? *ponders*)
LOL USB's in Sarawak? Speaking of which, I need to go to that part of the country one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
First off, welcome (once again) to Outer Cadian, Anita! It's not everyday that ladies frequent this place.

We eagerly await more AxK moments .
  • A small nit, but nonetheless thought I should point it out.

Linith is a mountain cat (yamaneko) as described in the novel, not a tiger, lion or any large member of the feline clan. Also, Linith was the Testarossa's house-pet and Alicia's constant playmate. Canon aside, logic would tell us that keeping a large cat alone with a little girl is as undesirable as would be with a lolicon, especially if the large cat is entirely capable of devouring said little girl in one mouthful (yes, I know felines don't gulp down their food like snakes. This is just a figure of speech ).

(I realise the above comment is something that a person with access to the novel is capable of, and thus may be very unfair to those without .)
I see. I've heard some ranging from mountain lion to mountain tiger, so I'm unsure which is which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Ah... Since I'm here:
Spoiler for Random WIP stuff:
Hmm... needs more details to connect my very own Keyblader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
I am not trying to make her perfect! I'm just trying to develop her from her borderline-defeatist attitude from StrikerS!
*COUGH!*
Yes, that's the most important thing. ark's injecture is good, but this relates more to her nature of her character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Anyway, GenerationS, the next chapter is now up to 7,000+ words. Lots of combat, commentary, interactions, fanservice and crack included!
Give us... a teaser?

Quote:
I would say such deterioration happens in almost every culture...little can be done. I've also sometimes seen real life girls wearing cheongsam during special occasions, such as the graduation ceremony of a Chinese highschool we got around here.

Too bad, though, that the girls do not wear mini-skirted cheongsams...

*runs*
I personally love cultural stuff like that though.

My mom berates me everything I want to wear my dad's 'chinese' batik or gaopi... or at least I think it's that out, not wanting to buy anything she recommends.

Quote:
I see what's going on here... whenever we write "Hayate", Aaron's computer beeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It started out as an ambitious idea of Kha to rewrite the enitre StrikerS story into something that could be concidered a good season, rather then a good season, but filled with a lot of plotholes/scripterrors etc. etc. Somewhere along the line though... it seems it turned into one giant crackfest.

In hindsight, we should have seen that coming from the start...

Quote:
I actually dislike my chinese side relatives, but I stfu and suck it up for the ang pow sake. They are.... *sighs* Dua kali lima. Same bland dry tasteless food every single new year, and they get all bitchy if we try and bring new stuff for chinese new year.
Chinese festivals died for me 12 years ago.

Nowadays, things like watching the moon, lanterns, actual neighbourhood lion-dance throughout neighbours, and so many subtle things about 'fun festivities' all died.

The only good thing is ang pow, and I don't even get to use it until I'm out of university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Nighty's stuff.....scary just to think about it
It's not THAT long... compared to so many of Satashi's stuff, it's tame.

Altogether it's got only about 100,000 words+.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-02-20, 05:49   Link #20189
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
SIEG CADIA!!!!!!!

And belated Happy Birthday to you
Yay! Thank you!

Quote:
TEARS OF THE NORTHERN WIND
EPILOGUE

Spoiler for part 1:

Spoiler for part II:

Well, this is it. Now that Tears of Northern Wind has come to its end, I can now begin my OC rebuilding starting with some of the key characters for the upcoming stories (I'll use Kha's character rebuilding setup as basis).

And fret not, for there is always the DVD Special following. Guaranteed to contain less censorship and more fanservice.

*runs*
Noooooo~!
It's over! ;_;

Thank you for this great story!
"DVD" release? Can't wait!

Quote:

*runs*

EDIT:
page claim!
Ohoh... Hayate is at it again!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I prefer these. :3

Spoiler:
Ah thank you... thanks to this picture I know now that CthulhuTech exists.
Old 2008-02-20, 05:56   Link #20190
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Feh, didn't feel like working on story tonight, so after Roland, I played some game, then got in the mood for technical hashing...

so I present to you..

Spoiler for THIS:

I didn't realize until I was mid-way through that I turned it into a lightning element weapon.
So essentially, a magical long range pulse plasma sniper rifle? A plasma rifle that gets around the conventional weapons ban by using magic as it's operational base, now that's cool

Even more that it's based on a Barret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
When civilians are in trouble, they call the TSAB. But when the TSAB is in trouble, they call...

CLERIC-KNIGHTS

The best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be.
Go anywhere, kill anything.
They are most comfortable knee deep in Hell while kicking ass big time.
They answer to no one and no one, except the Light itself.

~~~~~~

The Cleric-Knight is not your Ace Enforcer. He is not meant for petty arrests and investigations.
He is the relentless weapon of the Light that never hesitates, never regrets.
His sole aim is the purification of the infected and the extermination of great evils.
He is the crusader, the Judge, the executioner rolled into one.
Light help you if they ever come for you.

~~~~~~

Daemons, Heretics, Evil. Your time is over.

CLERIC-KNIGHTS

The buck stops here.

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

The following is an excerpt from a file detailing the nature of the Cleric-Knights in general:
Spoiler for Full Codex:
~~~~~~

| | | | | |

PS: Oh shoot me for making this character shrine. :P This post made me go @_@ at the sheer complexity. I did something like that before, but to rebuild it was really >_<.
I know this wall of text quite well for some reason

Although integrating both Celestial Being and the Grey Knights into a single entity is quite the unusual concept indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Yay! Thank you!
No prob

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-02-20, 05:57   Link #20191
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Oh my god....

FIGHT CLUB!
... I have NO idea what you're talking about. Incidentally the next part is the only thing I know about fightclub.

* Tshou raises his hand and smacks the back of Sheba's head.
Tshou: First rule about Fight Club, you do NOT talk about Fight Club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post

so I present to you..

Spoiler for THIS:

20km is an insanely long ranged weapon. Nanoha's long range attacks are not common at all and 20km is way beyond her range I believe.
ATC... who are you trying to fool? This isn't a magical weapon at all. Its an thinly disguised ion/electric cannon (i think) with an exotic power source (mana) that requires a mage to use with an insanely long range. I don't know about the rest but this is a personal request from me. When you design stuff, could you consider throwing away all the sci-fi stuff out of the window?
Old 2008-02-20, 06:15   Link #20192
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
I know this wall of text quite well for some reason

Although integrating both Celestial Being and the Grey Knights into a single entity is quite the unusual concept indeed
It was an older recipe I dug up and Rebuilt, so its another dish of copypasta served with integra sauce.

That's the Rebuilt bits, and accomodates both the God Empress and Sankt Kaiser theories as well, and throws in more background about Celestial Being in Nanohaverse.

The whole aim of that codex copypasta is so that when my guys go around yelling "Beginning Intervention", no one will yell "but isn't that illegal?" since their right to operate independently goes a long way and reeks of High Council stink.

For once, like ol Nel, the Brains have their uses.

Also, the first part before the copypasta is supposed to be a TV ad aired in TSAB channels to raise awareness about the Cleric-Knights, and hopefully perk interest for the talented. I'll do a proper video about who should apply later.
Old 2008-02-20, 06:15   Link #20193
haiz123321
Obey me world!

... Now it's 1K pages -.-....

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Old 2008-02-20, 06:20   Link #20194
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
Actually I prefer this approach of yours. I'm of the opinion that if an idea cannot withstand from being ripped to shreds, then the idea itself was flawed to begin with and thus need to be revised no matter how long it may take or how much more extra work I've have to put in. Stubbornly defending my ideas will not make me a better thinker nor a better writer and your scrutinizing ways help bring up the level of writing in a person and help polish the story to be something better. If I cannot take criticism, then I've got no business writing and showing others what I've written in the first place.
You have no idea how hard I've been trying to hammer that point of view into some people I've met in various fanfic communities. I've long given up trying to make them agree; all I want is for them to understand, which is probably a problem with my approach.

Of course, I'm also of the belief that I should be "ripping apart" the stories and ideas politely, which means no swearing and no personal attacks, which is another thing I've been trying to hammer into people.

Quote:
Okaaay... I not too sure what exactly you mean but I think I got the gist of it. So you're saying I need to describe what is the agenda of the Left Wing Extremists?
No, what I meant was: why use the term "left-wing"? You've already described the agenda of the rogue faction quite well, so I'm satisfied with that. I'm just kind of curious, in a "by the way" kind of context, about the "left-wing" bit.

Quote:
Hmmm... actually I was thinking of something a little different. I was planning to have alot of very low-ranking people like the common enforcers who lost friends team mates to powerful criminals, poor leadership etc.. , clerks in the records departments, junior scientists, assistants to more powerful people etc... all these people will be carefully selected. To me, the more high-rankers you have, the more scrutiny you'll be under. It is my belief that most of the lower ranks are not actively being scrutinized as opposed to the higher ranks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That could also conceivably work, but carries its own set of problems.

For example, you mentioned that resource-gathering has been going on from MC 0043 and picked up at MC 0068. That's at least twenty-five years for this conspiracy to have existed.

Twenty-five years is a long time for a person. It's more than enough time for them to doubt the worthiness of their cause, more than enough time for them to accidentally slip up, and more than enough time for them to get promoted. Suddenly the low-ranking is not low-ranking any more.

These people are going to need a lot of fanaticism to keep up the charade for twenty-five years. Or just seven years, if you're intending for recruitment to begin from MC 0068.

Also, if they're low-ranking, they don't have much influence, and they'll need a lot of helpers in order to keep up the conspiracy. Which means even more people to be in on the secret. I realize that none of them may be individually cognizant of the entire plan, but they're still being asked to both commit a crime (probably serious) and pretend that nothing is out of the ordinary.

I know that one person in the right place at the right time can make a huge difference, but that difference tends to be more chaotic than directed, and for a plan like this to go off efficiently, they're going to need a lot of direction.

In other words, this turns it from a "rogue faction" of the TSAB into a vast conspiracy with hundreds, or likely even thousands, of fanatics dedicated to their cause.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I'm just giving a warning that it may or may not be story you want to write.

Quote:
The plan is to conquer Midchilda and at least neutralize their allies before going out after the non administrated worlds. This attack on Midchilda will be very deadly as the VUDs will be activated very suddenly and those that managed to fight off the "possession" attempts will still be hindered by the VUDs in them as well as facing impossible odds as the mass majority will not be able to fight off the VUDs "possession" attempts.
I'm going to assume that the VUDs are going to be extremely virulent.

This also makes the assumption, albeit not unfounded given what we've seen of the series, that the TSAB is putting all its eggs into one basket, and taking out the city and its environs will be enough to cripple the administration.

Remember that we're dealing with at least an entire planet. It's actually relatively easy to drop a planet into barbarism and chaos, but far more difficult to take it over and still retain a modicum of order. A rebellion will not last very long if there's nothing to eat the next day.

Quote:
The conquest of the TSAB main HQ in the dimensional sea is also a critical step in order to gain access to the Infinite Library as well as the warships. An attack here will happen simultaneously with the one on Midchilda. In order to conquer the non administrated worlds, those warships will be needed. Then I'll start to consolidate my position and start building up my forces for the next step, by getting resources from uninhibited worlds.
I have repetitions of my previous objections for "how will you keep the planets from rebelling", but then I also have possible solutions for that, which will depend greatly on how the VUDs work.

More on this later.

Quote:
As for the conquest of the non administrated worlds, it should be simple enough although it might not reach this step as I think the heroes will counter attack before I even reach this point. Anyway, taking Earth for example, even with "the much-dreaded projectile weapons, and we also have nukes, as well as military leaders short-sighted enough to want to use them", it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Fair enough. I'll have to see it in action, though: my view right now is "I don't see how things can progress to this stage in the first place, but if they have, then they could conceivably progress like this".

In other words, convince me with the actual story.

Quote:
Please poke more holes in my ideas so I can deliver a quality story. If possible, could you suggest which parts can be salvaged for use?
Planning to go against an established government like the TSAB does take a lot of time, so I have no arguments per se against the thing taking decades. You're going to have to find a way to explain how the conspiracy holds together through the years, though.

The "charismatic leader" is the best suggestion I can offer without going deeper into esoteric scenarios, and I'd add that he would probably use both respect and fear to keep people in line. Not so much of the fear, but lay on the respect. These people should want to die for this leader, whether because of personal charisma, or because they think that the leader really does have the best answer and the capability to carry it out.

And you will need a leader, or at least a leading force, since someone has to be working on all of this and calling the shots.

I do like the idea of "infection", but I'm not sure that Unison Devices as we know them are the way to go. That's mostly a mechanical and probably semantics issue, though.

If possible, I'd like to see (here or via PM) how the VUDs work, since what I'm assuming may not be correct. Specifically, I want to know exactly how they spread and infect people, and exactly what they can do once they've infected someone.

The first scenario I thought of was that one may as well infect the entire planet of Midchilda, and all of the off-planet personnel, and enough of the other planets, such that one can just switch on the infection. This would require that the VUDs just act as a kind of basic mental change, so that those infected still have their usual "this is my job" state of mind, but have their beliefs changed to match the villain group in your story. Sort of like a mass instant conversion.

The second scenario is that one may as well just infect the high-ranking TSAB personnel, since the TSAB, for the most part, follows orders. In both scenarios, the VUDs must be undetectable by any known means used by the regular personnel.

This is all assuming that the VUDs are the entire point of the story. Otherwise, it would probably be less trouble to just Machiavelli oneself to be the best and brightest star of the TSAB, and then have the present leadership assassinated. Then take over and start your reforms and changes.

Random notes that I can't figure out where to put: the villainous group should probably have a sense of superiority over the non-administered worlds, in the "we're doing you a favour by colonizing you" way. If the charade falls, this may result in friction with those who are from non-administered worlds.

It's probably not essential, but it's the one way I can think of offhand to rationalize the "subjugate non-administered worlds forcibly" goal.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I am trying as hard as possible not to prejudice my thinking with concepts from ReBoot.

Specifically the Season 4 Daemon arc.
Old 2008-02-20, 06:23   Link #20195
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
When you design stuff, could you consider throwing away all the sci-fi stuff out of the window?
That's going to be a tall order, considering the lot of use have sci-fi in our profiles

And there is the fact that while primarily magical, Nanoha is also inescapably sci-fi. Heck, Nanoha once wielded a high-mega launcher-like weapon that looked like something straight out of Gundam or Eva in the manga. And of course, what would you call the cyborgs and mecha?

Besides, it's still a magical weapon as far as I can see, just with a far more technical explanation than your usual magical weapon.

Also, I'm not sure about your gripes when you have Tais, Yui and the Eva system that's essentially sci-fi in presentation.

Quote:
It was an older recipe I dug up and Rebuilt, so its another dish of copypasta served with integra sauce.

That's the Rebuilt bits, and accomodates both the God Empress and Sankt Kaiser theories as well, and throws in more background about Celestial Being in Nanohaverse.

The whole aim of that codex copypasta is so that when my guys go around yelling "Beginning Intervention", no one will yell "but isn't that illegal?" since their right to operate independently goes a long way and reeks of High Council stink.

For once, like ol Nel, the Brains have their uses.
Wikipasta?

And operating outside the jurisdication of any law sure is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz123321 View Post
... Now it's 1K pages -.-....
Welcome back to the madness that is OC

Old 2008-02-20, 06:30   Link #20196
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Wikipasta?

And operating outside the jurisdication of any law sure is fun
Yeah the original post for the NanoHammer project was used as a comparison, but I worked on wikipasta since there were new updates.

And the best part is that they don't sneak around but are Licenced to Flout.
Old 2008-02-20, 06:30   Link #20197
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:

| | | | | | [/CENTER]
=O so the guy from machine robo rescue and setsuna f seiei got drafted by Kha

Quote:
Welcome back to the madness that is OC
I'm here to somehow relieve myself of the pressure im facing X_X

Old 2008-02-20, 06:34   Link #20198
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz123321 View Post
=O so the guy from machine robo rescue and setsuna f seiei got drafted by Kha
Taiyo: TAIYO! My name is TAIYO!!!

Foy: (reties hair) Blame it on your height for being so inconspicuous.

Gimmy: The funny thing is, how come the silent one got remembered?

Hiro: ...

Action speaks louder.
Old 2008-02-20, 06:39   Link #20199
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
Taiyo: TAIYO! My name is TAIYO!!!

Foy: (reties hair) Blame it on your height for being so inconspicuous.

Gimmy: The funny thing is, how come the silent one got remembered?

Hiro: ...

Action speaks louder.
You never fail to crack me up So Taiyo is the machine robo guy and Hiro is setsuna? btw whose Foy?

Old 2008-02-20, 06:43   Link #20200
SpaceBrotha
Wild card

Quote:
~~~~~~

~~~~~~
Right, first off, let me introduce you to the russian coat of arms:

Difference in details, but the same concept...
...and since belka existed in the far corners of history, does this mean the russians are decendants of belka?

There's a rather cracky idea for you: russian knights
Sayings and quotes hold wisdom in them. Either the wisdom is found in the correctness of the quote, or in the lesson learned from the error.
Hard part is figuring out who's making the errors...
Closed Thread