AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-03-07, 16:37   Link #1
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Spell/Grammar Checker in forums

Hello, just want to see what you guys think about having either a spell or grammar checker or both on the forums. For me I think it would save me a lot of time checking my spelling and grammar before I post. I already know of one member who would like a grammar checker to make sure his posts are coherent but I want to know who else would think it would be a good idea or not.
Old 2004-03-07, 17:48   Link #2
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Keitaro, no amount of grammar and spelling checks can improve the posts that some people on this forum make.

Besides, I can't even begin to fathom the amount of programming something like this would require. The idea is pretty good, but I can't imagine it being feasible. Then again, I'm not GHDPro.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 17:55   Link #3
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I think a spell-checker is a great idea. Not sure about a grammar checker though because most of the word documents that has a grammar checker is confusing to say the least and most of the time these grammar-checkers find faults in sentences if the sentence lacks any apporpriate punctuation. With the aid of a spell checker overall posting quality should improve a little. In some of the section of the forum we can use all the improvement we can have.

P.S. If you find any spelling mistake in my post, it is because this forum lacks a spell checker.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 18:20   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Besides, I can't even begin to fathom the amount of programming something like this would require. The idea is pretty good, but I can't imagine it being feasible. Then again, I'm not GHDPro.
LOL... If such a thing were to ever be used, I'm pretty sure GHDpro would not be writing it... No one in their right mind would write their own spell check utility for a forum. You'd use a Perl or PHP module to do it... There are a lot of commercial programs out there but I'm sure if you looked you could find an open source one too.

Personally I'm happy using the tools I already use to check my posts -- more flexible I my opinion. I wouldn't be against one though.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 18:25   Link #5
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I just open the other IE window where I have the GameFAQs boards, copy/paste and press "Preview and Spellcheck Message". I'm a bandwidth thief. Well, I post there too, so I guess I can be excused.

Last edited by AG3; 2004-03-07 at 18:27. Reason: Well, see what happens when I don't...
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 18:55   Link #6
The1Voices
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The1Voices
Spellcheck

I've seen this in other forums and i just thought a spellchecker would be a nice addition to this one.
The1Voices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 19:00   Link #7
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
Yea, it would be nice if people would actually use it. This thread, however, would be more fitting for the Site Feedback forum.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 19:05   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo
Yea, it would be nice if people would actually use it. This thread, however, would be more fitting for the Site Feedback forum.
Too late

*edit*

A good place to find a Spell Checker is http://www.spellcheck.net. It checks up to 20000 characters.

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2004-05-01 at 19:27.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 19:25   Link #9
Green²
It's bacon!

http://www.iespell.com/ works good on Internet Explorer.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 21:00   Link #10
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
how does it work in other forums? a thread like this will only correct the spell in this thread alone, is that how it works, or im just a complete ignorant?
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 21:22   Link #11
The1Voices
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The1Voices
From what ive seen its an option when you create a post like smilely faces, fonts and preview post.
The1Voices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 21:24   Link #12
Taboo
Riceball!

Send a message via Yahoo to Taboo
Uhm...a spell check would be a tool that the person posting could use to make sure their post doesn't have a bunch of mispelled words before posting. Then they could choose to fix errors or ignore them, like for other languages or lingo. A spell/grammer check tool may help some people who don't speak (read: type) English very fluently and those who just like to make sure they haven't made an error.
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 12:14   Link #13
HoboGod
Necromancer

proper spelling and grammer is overrated. the way people spell certain words and word their sentances is what makes each person unique. it is like an accent in verbal conversation: if we don't have those little things that make us sound different, then we are no different than a bunch of robots (or japanese people) with changing opinions.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 12:58   Link #14
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
type it in word, check it, then C+P
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 09:39   Link #15
Palani
///_^

This is the best addition to the forum that could be made. Especially now that mods are hunting for people who don't use their English correctly.
It's good for speed typing too. I often find myself having to edit posts for having typos. But the best solve to the case would just be to use word. Copy paste you reply in their and it takes out almost all typo's etc.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 10:45   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palani
This is the best addition to the forum that could be made. Especially now that mods are hunting for people who don't use their English correctly.
It's good for speed typing too. I often find myself having to edit posts for having typos. But the best solve to the case would just be to use word. Copy paste you reply in their and it takes out almost all typo's etc.
thats what i just said. but word really doesnt correct grammar all that good.

hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 16:04   Link #17
SpikeS095
Fighting Stupidity

all that well :P
SpikeS095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 15:15   Link #18
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

I like the spell check idea most of the time I'm in a hurry to post and my finger slips.
I usually notice the error after I post or alittle bit later. Then I have to see those little italicized words on the bottom of my post (last edited by Cammie) Grammer checker? well... thats a good idea but lots of people use lots of slang.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 15:02   Link #19
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

A spell check would be nice. It gets really annoying when MS Word says I spelt "anime" wrong, though. It'd be really hard though, because many anime names will show up as mispelt, then changed to some totally different word.
If we need a grammar check, I think we should ask kj1980 to write it. He's Japanese, but types better english than 90% of the forum.
Now that I mention it, isn't that sad? Most of the Americans can't type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs," but can understand "|-|3|p m3!" Sort of funny...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 15:14   Link #20
Thany
Unfair

Well that's because a lot of people are not enough aware of what they're writting...
It's sad, but it's true...
Still it would be a great idea, since there are people who can't even type a sentense without making like 10 mistakes...