AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-24, 22:33   Link #1
Sakuya
*Artist

IMVU Instant Messaging

Does anyone here use IMVU Instant Messaging? IMVU is an instant messenger where it can generate a 3D character for you and then place them in an interactional background interacting with the other person.

http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_index_new.php

It looks very interesting. So I was wondering if anybody had any bad things to say about it?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 02:52   Link #2
Cz
Needs more sleep~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
Does anyone here use IMVU Instant Messaging? IMVU is an instant messenger where it can generate a 3D character for you and then place them in an interactional background interacting with the other person.

http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_index_new.php

It looks very interesting. So I was wondering if anybody had any bad things to say about it?
Oh yeah, I remember seeing it on some Web 2.0 site and took a look at it. Sure it would be cool to create your own 3D character, but it reminds me of the virtual world Second Life where you can create your own 3D items and stuff for your virtual self. Unfortunately I suck at graphics so I'd never be able to make something nice for myself.

Secondly, I got put off by the fact that one can create totally customized profile pages where you can just about write or place anything at all anywhere you want on the profile page. I took a look at one or two pages and their knowledge of good web design was so bad that they overwhelm their profile page with overlapping text and graphics and stars all over the screen etc. Sure it is good that you have the freedom to do such things, but if it's one thing I don't like, it's a messy page.

I never liked personal pages where music or video starts playing immediately when you visit it, like many social networking sites including Myspace are letting people do. I've never liked that part of Web 2.0 and hence unless I have friends using this IM service, I doubt I will ever use it.

Disclaimer: This is my personal preference, and I hold no responsibility for any emotional scarring you may have from reading this post.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 21:34   Link #3
Kokoro-no-Kaasu

Send a message via MSN to Kokoro-no-Kaasu Send a message via Yahoo to Kokoro-no-Kaasu
I have an account and downloaded it its pretty cool I guess, they have cosplay for your character and stuff, the animation kinda reminds me of Shrek though. . . Weird. Its pretty much like a normal IM, just in 3D. Plus its a kind of ripoff cause it is a free IM and they give you 1000 free creds, but after that your on your own, and need to BUY your creds, I have better things to spend my money on ya know? Like manga XD
Kokoro-no-Kaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 00:32   Link #4
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure
I think it looks interesting for kids, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone over the age of 13.
I'd rather play on Habbo Hotel! XD
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 02:25   Link #5
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Call me shallow, but I don't find those 3D models very visually appealing, so I doubt I'd ever use that sort of thing unless the models were made to be prettier.

My online "life simulation" career is limited to something called "Coke Music" that a friend coerced me into playing with her. All I did was walk my character behind hers and made it dance.

It was sexy, in a pixelated way.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 05:53   Link #6
Taraqs
PeeWee Mafia boss

Send a message via Yahoo to Taraqs
ITs ok not recommened If you bored.
Taraqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 05:06   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Sorry for reviving this thread, but today my father started...uh, playing this? And now he wants to start charging up his account, I have to ask a few things, like is it addictive and ridiculously expensive?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 05:46   Link #8
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Sorry for reviving this thread, but today my father started...uh, playing this? And now he wants to start charging up his account, I have to ask a few things, like is it addictive and ridiculously expensive?
I've been on it for a while, but I got really tired of it beause for one thing, there were too many weird people in there. It's as addictive as WoW or The Sims, and after a while, it can be pretty expensive depending on what you want to get. There are other ways to gain creds apart from actually buying them, but tbh it's a waste of time. I'd rather hang in AS. It's the same thing. I don't need to see people in 3d to talk to them online
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 12:04   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've looked at them..... to me they're kind of an ultra-lame MMO. You might as well install Second Life (where you can construct what you want rather than be bled to death by all the micropayments to "dress your dolls").
Old 2010-03-03, 12:10   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I heard of it, but it's practically is not good because why would you want to pay for clothing and stuff. You can do that in The Sims or Second Life.

Also, it's a closed service and it's locked into Windows only and you can't use it on other OSes. I prefer using XMPP (also known as Jabber) as it's a open messaging platform and you can instant message people that have a different service which uses XMPP like Google Talk.
Old 2010-03-03, 12:18   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Alright, thanks for the answers everyone, I'll try and talk him out of it <_<
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 05:21   Link #12
Xion Valkyrie

I see ads for it a lot. After Avatar came out, I saw the Navi version of the ads...
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-06, 09:58   Link #13
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

Yeah I used to be addicted to it, but then I realized how lame it was and stopped "playing".