Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-04, 18:39   Link #21
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
From the title, I thought this would be a suicide note thread. Looks like I got excited for nothing.
My exact same thoughts,

Or that someone had died.
Old 2010-07-04, 20:40   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whatever "common sense" originally meant .... its long been trampled by "idiot-illogical" beliefs.
Old 2010-07-04, 21:05   Link #23
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
For more details, visit your local library's non-fiction section.
I'm more interested in the blackbox called instrumentality. Logic is expandable by the world around us, to quote a certain hero: "People aren't moved by logic."

Now onwards...

Common sense? No comment other than how much the recent generations lack it in severity.

Quote:
From the title, I thought this would be a suicide note thread
I expected the same. Such a shame I couldn't point and laugh at the emo. :'(
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 22:14   Link #24
FateAnomaly

I don't think common sense and logic are mutually exclusive. Just have to use your brain a little.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 22:46   Link #25
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Whatever "common sense" originally meant .... its long been trampled by "idiot-illogical" beliefs.
Every time you post it makes me smile.

Also your avatar is so friggin cute I always sit for a minute and watch it...
Old 2010-07-04, 22:49   Link #26
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Every time you post it makes me smile.

Also your avatar is so friggin cute I always sit for a minute and watch it...
Seconded.
Last Sinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:00   Link #27
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, you know what they say.... "Nothing is idiot proof."
Old 2010-07-05, 00:02   Link #28
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Since the rise of megacorporations and consumerism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I'm more interested in the blackbox called instrumentality. Logic is expandable by the world around us, to quote a certain hero: "People aren't moved by logic."
That is a pretty puritanical inference. Instrumentality isn't a blackbox. It is a methodology to provide doubt to perfection, and is part of experimentation and hypothesis testing in science.

People move logically however they are not moved by logic, that is due to something called "reaction to environment", culminating in something called emotion. Logic is a reaction force, not an action force, and according to Le Chatelier's Principle, the action force is also, in a way, a reaction force from the environment.

So whatever we do, is a result of many long term and short term forces. The outcome is always caused by reaction force, thus the importance of "using your brain" to achieve a desirable outcome, or so as to easily quote Vroom's Expectancy Theory. Also, you are discounting falsifiability and giving too much credit to fallibilism.

As of now, it seems that "common sense" is ignoramus et ignorabimus.

P.S Is it expendable or expandable? The words have two different meanings you know.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-07-05 at 00:26.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:06   Link #29
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Since the rise of megacorporations and consumerism?
Since the INTERNET.
Old 2010-07-05, 00:14   Link #30
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Since the INTERNET.
You mean the commercial TV, or maybe Cold War.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:45   Link #31
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

My God, Saintessheart you nitpick at everything.

1. Lenient term for blackbox.
2. Typo. I meant Expendable. Not expandable. Look closely at the words - see how they resemble each other albeit one single letter? Exactly. It's a mistake. Live with it.
3. It's a belief. If you have to be logical about it, then why bother with logic when you instinctively rely on emotions consciously or subconsciously?

I don't appreciate that, jedoch.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 01:14   Link #32
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
You mean the commercial TV, or maybe Cold War.
We could simply say since the start of what Alvin Toffler call ''The third Wave''
Old 2010-07-05, 01:28   Link #33
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Common sense isn't common to begin with
I think what most people lament here is the increasing nanny like form of bureaucracy that the society have become which of many results from kneejerk reaction to outlier cases.

I used to believe in common sense but later on i realized, it's because of common sense that we have become oblivious to many awful unjust things in life simply because we went along with preconceived notions.
Old 2010-07-05, 10:58   Link #34
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Common Sense tells me he is dead.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 15:35   Link #35
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I thought Common Sense had died years ago; seems I was wrong.
Old 2010-07-05, 16:44   Link #36
Riou17
Red☆Crystal

Mr. Common Sense isn't really dead. He's just somewhere having a very long vacation in a place we can never go into.
Old 2010-07-05, 19:31   Link #37
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
It is a intentional/unintentional mix-up of "common sense" and "logic". Common sense is supposed to be something that is generally agreed upon - it is an overused cliche.

Common sense is akin to agreeing with that "IPhone is the best product on the smartphone market", while logic is akin agreeing with "iPhone is one of the better products on the market."

Lio has pretty much explained much of it in detail. That is one of the main problems predating "common sense"....I have been brought up and told to use "common sense" that "working hard towards a good degree will ensure a good job in the future" : one of the things I realised when I grew older is that there isn't such a thing as job security, after going through the Asian Economic Crisis and 2008 Subprime Meltdown.

So what is common sense? It is something that is agreed upon by the majority, not something that has entirely resulted from something called "use your fucking brain". When majority wins, it doesn't mean that they are always right.
Common sense is not "believed by the majority"

it's a bloody simple explanation of the obviously simple things

Quote:
Common sense is akin to agreeing with that "IPhone is the best product on the smartphone market"
No, common sense is not using a blowtorch to dry your b@lls

Don't confuse it with common knowledge
Old 2010-07-05, 20:05   Link #38
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
"OBITUARY FOR THE LATE MR. COMMON SENSE"

This seems a little Glenn Beckish...
Well...

GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 23:52   Link #39
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I used to believe in common sense but later on i realized, it's because of common sense that we have become oblivious to many awful unjust things in life simply because we went along with preconceived notions.
You get a cookie for this.

Common sense is a social construct of accepted truths. These truths may not actually be factual, but we believe them because society perpetuates them through the generations. It's actually a GOOD thing when common sense is challenged, despite those who discourage it because they benefit in some fashion from the status quo.

Common sense brings you things like "men can't ask for directions" and "Black people are better at sports than white people...except hockey." Despite years of research that shows that even though there are dispositions, society ultimately shapes the choices and opportunities you have available, there are many who simply refuse to look at the evidence and stubbornly cling to their own beliefs even if they are wrong.

Does this mean that all common sense is bad? Well...no. Holding hot coffee in your lap while driving is pretty dumb, for instance. But the lawsuit wasn't won because she spilled coffee and the legal system is rigged to give dumb people money. She won because the coffee was so hot it burned six percent of her body and required skin grafts because of the damage. Had the coffee been at a lower temperature like other restaurants prepare it she would not have been burned so severely.

The entire reason the lawsuit made it to court and ultimately won was purely because McDonalds prepared their coffee at extremely high temps and while unfortunately it was a dumb person who was injured, the coffee was dangerous enough to cause severe burns when it shouldn't have.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm < read up.

Common sense can stay dead and buried. Be worried that his brother Critical Thinking is on life support and soon to join him.
Old 2010-07-07, 00:34   Link #40
Kudryavka

Wait, can we say parting words to anyone we want, or is this just to Common Sense? I have a parting word for someone who I'm convinced will get banhammered, but if Common Sense is the subject, then I'm game for that, too.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote