Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-06, 03:23   Link #1
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Need suggestions for 2010-2011 anime

Hi guys!

I've started watching anime again after a year of absence, and I need some suggestions for the newest titles. Here are my requirements:

- Should be from 2010-2011, I know pretty much about the earlier series.

- All-female cast (Aria / Claymore / Mai-Otome style) or strong female presence (Ryoko's Case Files / Hataraki Man / Mai-HiME / El Cazador style), but no harem.

- Adult characters, or at least, 16+ since we're talking about anime. There may be kids in the group, but they should not be annoying and should not be leading.

- Adventures / Action / Slice-of-life / Mystery / Fantasy / Smart Comedy in any combination. Should be story driven, with good character development.

- The story should be believable, even if it is fantasy. I'm tired of cardboard villains who want to rule the Universe. If supernatural things have a scientific explanation, it's a big advantage.

- Urban setting is preferable. Not seeing a school would be a good bonus. Contemporary, futuristic or fantasy setting is preferable.

- Little to no romance, but if it is there, it should be mature. Good examples are Haruka/Michiru from SM and Utena/Anthy from SKU. It should not necessarily be yuri, but it would be a good bonus. Then again, the relationships should not be the main story line, it should be something on a background.

- No ecchi please. Good series were killed by having too much of fanservice. I have nothing against sexuality or nudity, but it should be tasteful.

Um. I guess that's it. My anime list is in my sig. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kleo Scanti; 2011-06-06 at 11:22.
Old 2011-06-06, 03:46   Link #2
jedinat

Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Kuragehime
Level E
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatte Iru
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Those are my suggestions for the time period... since your list of requirements are impossibly demanding, some may only fulfill a couple of them...
Old 2011-06-06, 03:51   Link #3
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Thanks! I know it's demanding, just wondered if it is possible to find anything fitting. I'm loosing my faith in anime...

It seems I'm going to marathon Level E now. It's not what I was asking for (or not yet, I've only watched the first episode), but I like the art and the characters seem to be interesting.

Last edited by Kleo Scanti; 2011-06-06 at 04:34.
Old 2011-06-06, 08:29   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica

All female, no harem.

Leading characters are 15, but trust me, you won't care because they are dealing with some really adult material (no not that kind of adult material, get your head out of the gutter).

Great plot, great characters. Urban setting. Only a few school scenes, not the focus.

Just a little romance.

No ecchi. (Unless you count the very deceptive OP).

You might also try Katanagatari.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-06-06, 08:36   Link #5
Ziziphus
Whatever

Haven't seen it yet (but planned to):
Sora no Oto

Very good series but not all-female cast:
Working!!
Old 2011-06-06, 09:05   Link #6
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
Madoka Magica
*points at her anime list*
I've seen it, thought it was ok but not as great as people tend to say. Madoka's mother was my favourite character there.
Quote:
Katanagatari
Old Japan and swords are not among my favourite topics... I guess, I had to add it to my requirements.
Quote:
Working!!
I've seen it as well. Forgot to add it to the list though, my bad.
Quote:
Sora no Oto
I'm not into military or music series, but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks anyway!
Old 2011-06-06, 09:36   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleo Scanti View Post
Thanks! I know it's demanding, just wondered if it is possible to find anything fitting. I'm loosing my faith in anime...
As jedinat said, the intersection of the sets

- made in 2010-2011
- has a female cast
- has an adult cast

basically contains just one show, Kuragehime.

You've already gotten the obvious candidate if you relax the "adult cast" restriction, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If you're willing to relax the "female cast" restriction, I'll add House of Five Leaves, a slow, moody depiction of the lives of some petty criminals in 19th century Japan by the author of Ristorante Paradiso. Hyouge Mono is another option with an adult, but largely male cast. However there are only four of thirty-nine episodes subbed so far. I can't link to the torrents though.

I searched AniDB for 2010-2011 series to jog my memory. There's Hakuoki and its sequel, which is a reverse harem about the Shinsengumi who are depicted as much more bishie than they were in real life. I watched about half of the first season and might finish it some day. More enjoyable for me was Hanamaru Kindergarten. Despite the title the show focuses as much on the adult teachers as on their young charges.

The Finale for Nodame Cantabile came out in this period as well, though I'm guessing you've seen that already. If not, you need to start at the beginning.

If you watch live-action shows, I might recommend the retelling of the excellent Bartender. It's more romanticized than the original, but I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes I've watched. The actors are a bit more modulated than seems to be the norm for Japanese television. I'm liking it better than live-action Nodame.
Old 2011-06-06, 11:20   Link #8
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Thank you, Sensei! I always enjoy your recommendations as they are descriptive.

I'll definitely watch Kuragehime. And thanks for reminding me about Ristorante Paradiso, I need to finish watching it.

Others look interesting as well, I'll keep them in mind.
Closed Thread