AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-21, 11:32   Link #21
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
So as another year comes to a close... specifically my junior year, I've been thinking about colleges to a certain point where it's the only thing I care about. I've been running around Google looking for blogs, acceptance posts, and other things so that I could compare my current high school achievements to others and make myself feel better even though I'm sure I have no chances for schools such as Stanford.

So anyways, I'm going to describe what I've "achieved" in high school so far and I was hoping you guys could tell me what kind of colleges would be available to me? I mean I'm still going to apply for my dream schools although I'm sure I'll be flat out rejected. (and please don't laugh at my grades :P I'm sure theres people way smarter than me on this forum (: )

Spoiler for High School Profile:

My main worries are that my GPA is too low.. although my transcript shows immense improvement since my Sophomore year. Another thing that bothers me is that apparently colleges look for dedicated in one's extracurricular activities (Especially schools like Stanford!). Lastly, I hear of other students who get awarded grip loads of awards, yet I only have one -real- award... Do I even stand a chance to be accepted to a school such as Stanford? or should I stick to universities such as USC/UCLA?

End of whine fest =|
You are in preaty good shape. But its not 100 percent chance to get accpeted, But still a really good chance if you keep it up in your senior year. Basically write a good essay in your aplication and that will help alot. I had a 3.87 GPA with almost the same amount of classes as you ( alot less extra activity than you though) and didnt get accepted.

I had a friend who has a 3.3 but he was in public speeches and had tons of extra activities and got accepted.

I would recommend you when you write your application essay to check it with many people and ask for their opinion. It is always good to show them that you have leader capabalities too. In your senior year you should join a club and try to run for president. That will increase your chances of getting accepted even more.

If all failed and you didnt get accepted to UCLA or USC, Then just go to a community college. Take 1 or 2 years worth of classes, get 3.6+ GPA and you can get accpeted easilly ( you can save some money too this way). Many of my friends got accepted for UCLA and USC but took 2 years of community college to save money and just transferred those units.

One last advice. Know what major and profession you want to have. From that check the UCLA web site for related majors for that profession and see what are the rate of acceptance for each specific major. Just chose the major that has the higher rate of acceptance and that will also increase your chances of getting accepted.

Any ways good luck.
Old 2007-06-21, 15:49   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
One last advice. Know what major and profession you want to have. From that check the UCLA web site for related majors for that profession and see what are the rate of acceptance for each specific major. Just chose the major that has the higher rate of acceptance and that will also increase your chances of getting accepted.
I saw USC mentioned here as well, so I'll chime in: if you apply to a specific program within USC and you're rejected, then your application shifts to the "undecided majors" pile. In other words, you have two shots of getting in: one for the program you want, and the second for the school itself. Or so I've heard. In general, Whitemoon's advice is probably something that can be applied to almost all schools, but I figured I'd give a bit of insight into how it works at USC
Old 2007-06-21, 18:37   Link #23
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I saw USC mentioned here as well, so I'll chime in: if you apply to a specific program within USC and you're rejected, then your application shifts to the "undecided majors" pile. In other words, you have two shots of getting in: one for the program you want, and the second for the school itself. Or so I've heard. In general, Whitemoon's advice is probably something that can be applied to almost all schools, but I figured I'd give a bit of insight into how it works at USC
Thanks for adding it in . I am not really familiar with USC so i just mentioned what i knew about UCs ( specially UCLA).
Old 2007-06-27, 23:49   Link #24
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Should I retake or not @__@???

Okay here it is, my going on to senior year of high school and yes, like someone's thread before(Yakult I believe), I am pressed to apply for colleges. The only thing is, I have a dilemma.

I took the SAT I, which all of you know, is a very important test to college admission. The only thing is, I scored 80 points below my dream score (dream score: 2300, I got 2220). This has been pondering in my mind for a while now, but should I retake it??? Do I really need to retake it(I don't really have the skills anymore >< Have to redo all the stuff)

Here's my other profile for reference:
Spoiler for profile:

That's about all, so should I retake my SAT I??? It has been a really hard decision for me so I'm asking for your opinions.

(my dream school is Stanford ><)
Old 2007-06-27, 23:52   Link #25
arias

There's no need to retake with those scores. They are perfectly fine, and the administration certainly understand when they see your SAT II scores.

But if you have nothing else to do, and are confident of scoring a higher grade; retake it. Given your (seemingly) anxious personality I don't think you'd keep still.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 23:55   Link #26
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
Okay here it is, my going on to senior year of high school and yes, like someone's thread before(Yakult I believe), I am pressed to apply for colleges. The only thing is, I have a dilemma.

I took the SAT I, which all of you know, is a very important test to college admission. The only thing is, I scored 80 points below my dream score (dream score: 2300, I got 2220). This has been pondering in my mind for a while now, but should I retake it??? Do I really need to retake it(I don't really have the skills anymore >< Have to redo all the stuff)

Here's my other profile for reference:
Spoiler for profile:

That's about all, so should I retake my SAT I??? It has been a really hard decision for me so I'm asking for your opinions.

(my dream school is Stanford ><)
You're fine. You're better off spending your time on crafting a magnificent college essay than fidget over 80 points. You should remember that if you're trying Stanford, chances are there are a lot of people above and below your score anyway, and fighting tooth and nail on that playing field alone is simply poor strategy. That essay should help you stand out.

Stanford is a beautiful place. Best of luck!

[Cynic] Geez...what's with all those SoCal kids going insane when they have 2220...I know a girl who came from there and even I think she's academically suicidal. [/Cynic]
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 23:59   Link #27
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Stanford is a beautiful place. Best of luck!
Yes I've been there for summer camp so that's why it's my dream school
Old 2007-06-28, 00:00   Link #28
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Yes I've been there for summer camp so that's why it's my dream school
Oh awesome. They'll probably remember that you've been there. It won't make or break a decision, but this adds commitment points.
Old 2007-06-28, 00:11   Link #29
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Hmm, would summer camp teacher's rec help???

P.S. SoCal is really competitive here so yea @___@, bunch of ppl loading themselves up with APs (I took 5 AP courses during my Junior year)
Old 2007-06-28, 00:26   Link #30
Spark

Penn State University Park FTW .. good 'ole Happy Valley

But no, seriously.. I wouldn't worry about your scores. They look great to me. A lot of colleges don't even really focus on the scores all that much these days I've heard. Don't get me wrong, they're still really important, but colleges also want to see what activities you've been in during high school, volunteer work.. stuff like that. A little community service never hurts.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 01:00   Link #31
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

See...I think the major point that got me into Carnegie Mellon was my enormous loadout of activities. I've been on the school's robotics team and school newspaper staff for 4 years, working myself up the ladder to leadership in both places. I also edged myself into positions here and there, and then I got recommendation letters from the teachers for these organizations. Realistically, my SAT scores and GPA are subpar (2110 and 3.65) compared to the other people who got in with me.

The SAT score doesn't matter all that much. In fact, if you look on the essays and recommendation letters you'll probably get a leg up over those people who really fretted over their scores without caring those little details.
Old 2007-06-28, 01:08   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a statistically small chance of improving your scores... probably better off focusing on SATII. My son scored in that range so he had the same dilemma.

If you're trying to get into something like MIT or Stanford where only 10-20% of all applicants are accepted then little niggling things can matter.
With so many applicants, you can walk on water with your stats and still not get in.

Little known is that if you go to another decent university and do well in your classes you can wiggle into those lofty places as a transfer student -- often much more easily.

Also keep in mind that the name of a college really loses its significance in your degree after a few years once you accumulate practical experience. If you're going for a MS/PhD, ymmv....
Old 2007-06-28, 01:28   Link #33
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Hmm I'm considering going to UC Berkeley now if I can't make Stanford
Old 2007-06-28, 03:25   Link #34
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
eehm just curious, how does that SAT stuff work?
our system is totally different i think, we build up several grades on several lose tests throughout the year, then have official exams and if we pass were just done, still dependant on what school youre going to, some school only look at the exam grades other that have this bingo kinda logic take all your grades, count them up, divide them to get the average and you get put in groups with the same range of average and just get randomly picked...

this is the USA system right? the Sat stuff i mean
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 12:08   Link #35
Spark

USofA uses SAT I and SAT II I believe. How it worked for me (I took the SAT's back when there was no essay writing part), our school offered the SAT I test a couple weekends out of the school year. You could sign up, go out to the school at like 9 in the morning on a Saturday and then take the test. For my college entrance, they looked at a mix between my academic transcript, class rank, activities, and of course SAT I scores to see if they would admit me.

I know the USofA does offer a PSAT for students who have never taken the SAT before.. it's kind of like a prep test. Many of the schools also offer a SAT prep course during one of your high school years.

In my opinion, SAT's and standardized tests are really overrated in America. These days teachers just teach to whatever is on the test, and it ends up hurting the students because they can do well on the test at the expense of not learning some of the other important concepts in the subject matter. But alas, that's politics for ya.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 13:18   Link #36
Inu_Sess__
Vinyl Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Inu_Sess__
In the USA it depends on what state you are in for the SAT or ACT. Here in Ohio schools mainly look at ACT, not SAT, so I never bothered to take the SAT. The best bet for any kid about to enter college is to take both the ACT and SAT.
Inu_Sess__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 19:48   Link #37
arias

Quote:
Hmm I'm considering going to UC Berkeley now if I can't make Stanford
Berkeley is a fantastic school.

While Stanford, like you, was my dream undergraduate school, Berkeley is.. sort of.. my dream graduate school, mainly because of the faculty they have.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 21:04   Link #38
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
In my opinion, SAT's and standardized tests are really overrated in America. These days teachers just teach to whatever is on the test, and it ends up hurting the students because they can do well on the test at the expense of not learning some of the other important concepts in the subject matter. But alas, that's politics for ya.
That's no politics. That's strictly business - the same direction many of American universities are heading towards these days. It's like brand name shopping.
Old 2007-06-29, 00:02   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I went to Rice University, but I've been in and around UC Berkeley enough to think its an excellent way to spend either undergrad or grad time there. Going to college is a very personal experience though, so I'd never blanket recommend a particular school without knowing the applicant very well.

Like all schools though ... "goodness" depends on which major you're considering though. Most schools are known for the excellent output of a few particular departments (unless they're mostly known for their football team :P).
Old 2007-06-29, 00:38   Link #40
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I went to Rice University, but I've been in and around UC Berkeley enough to think its an excellent way to spend either undergrad or grad time there. Going to college is a very personal experience though, so I'd never blanket recommend a particular school without knowing the applicant very well.

Like all schools though ... "goodness" depends on which major you're considering though. Most schools are known for the excellent output of a few particular departments (unless they're mostly known for their football team :P).
I guess it all comes to majors >< which I'm still not really sure yet

I'll probably go for biochem or computers