AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2017-10-15, 22:54   Link #501
Verso Sciolto
Banned

The poll numbers shown today indicate Abe is again rising further than in the numbers given in this NYT article.

Disconcerting, as far as I'm concerned.

JPT editorial

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-15 at 23:16.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 23:34   Link #502
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

If you don't want Abe to win, who else do you have in mind? And what kind of policy changes were you expecting if the opposition wins?
Old 2017-10-15, 23:42   Link #503
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If you don't want Abe to win, who else do you have in mind? And what kind of policy changes were you expecting if the opposition wins?
No "if" about it. I do not want Abe to win. On quite a few issues mentioned before I'd like to see the polar opposite of his proposals and policies.

I also agree with the linked pieces, in that these elections are ill-conceived and nastily timed.
Old 2017-10-16, 01:00   Link #504
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
No "if" about it. I do not want Abe to win. On quite a few issues mentioned before I'd like to see the polar opposite of his proposals and policies.

I also agree with the linked pieces, in that these elections are ill-conceived and nastily timed.
Elections are called when it benefits the incumbent, this had been the case for as long as elections existed. Just because it doesn't help the Opposition doesn't make it ill conceived or nastily timed. Indeed, it is extremely well conceived and well timed, that actually show the government had their wits together.

And saying "polar opposite policies" is not an answer. I want you to tell me:
1. What policies you want
and
2. How the Opposition is suppose to support these policies.

Because it doesn't do you any good wanting the Opposition to win, if they don't have policies you support anyway.
Old 2017-10-16, 04:54   Link #505
Verso Sciolto
Banned

I'd rather idealistically think elections are scheduled, should be scheduled, to best serve the electorate as a whole. "For as long as elections have existed" isn't accurate and even if it were accurate that would still not be a persuasive point to make when addressing someone who isn't a conservative. Almost by definition: "Things have always been this way" is one of those opposites of what I'd like to see. The cited Kyodo poll indicates 60%* of eligible Japanese voters were, let's say, "sceptical" of Abe's motives behind his decisions regarding the timing and necessity of these particular elections. The decision in this case also deviates from pervious protocol so even if I had been a conservative -I'm not- that point would still not be persuasive. As an other point in those linked pieces indicates, the Japanese judicial branch again abdicated its role in the Trias Politica and their past inactivity has emboldened scandal dodging PM Abe to overstep even the authority presumed by his predecessors. He would never get our support.

There are individuals within opposition parties whose ideas are more in line with ours. Unless you're an undecided who is unsure for whom to vote yourself, someone who would like a specific recommendation from us, I think that's the answer you'll be getting... This will be an election against Abe. He'll probably win but not with our backing.

Quote:
"Some 42.2 percent said they have yet to decide which party they will vote for.

The poll also showed 78.8 percent of respondents are not satisfied with the government's explanation on favoritism allegations involving private school operator Moritomo Gakuen and university operator Kake Educational Institution, run by a friend of Abe."

Linked and referenced and quoted above:
Over 60% disagree with Abe's plan to dissolve lower house: Kyodo poll

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-16 at 06:03.
Old 2017-10-16, 07:59   Link #506
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Deciding when to hold parliamentary elections in systems without fixed schedules has always been an important lever of power for the incumbents. Just because they have this power doesn't mean they'll always make the right decision, of course. Look at what happened to Teresa May when she decided to hold a snap election to improve her narrow majority in the UK this spring. She's now the head of a minority government. Edward Heath called a snap election in February, 1974, during the miners' strike. Rather than giving Heath a resounding endorsement, British voters treated him to the first "hung Parliament" in decades. When voters went back to the polls in October of that year, they voted in Labour.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 08:43   Link #507
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

In France, when Chirac tried it, he straight up lost his majority.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 10:19   Link #508
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In France, when Chirac tried it, he straight up lost his majority.
Basically, we only remember the times when the government miscalculated. So it isn't that it is common, it's just that it is a shock when it does happen and is newsworthy.

Obviously no election is truly certain until the votes are counted.
Old 2017-10-17, 23:42   Link #509
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Basically, we only remember the times when the government miscalculated. So it isn't that it is common, it's just that it is a shock when it does happen and is newsworthy.

Obviously no election is truly certain until the votes are counted.
Our memory is better than that. We also remember when the cynical calculations "paid off" - to the detriment of a population and democracy at large.
Old 2017-10-17, 23:52   Link #510
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Our memory is better than that. We also remember when the cynical calculations "paid off" - to the detriment of a population and democracy at large.
It is entirely legal. If you don't like it, demand that rule changed. I doubt you would remember to want that rule removed if and when the Opposition wins.
Old 2017-10-18, 00:48   Link #511
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
It is entirely legal. If you don't like it, demand that rule changed. I doubt you would remember to want that rule removed if and when the Opposition wins.
Your doubt is misplaced. I'm not that partisan. The existence of critical opposition is vital to democracy. That applies when a party I support is the ruling party as well.

There are several questions regarding legality in this specific situation, as noted repeatedly above.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-18 at 04:45.
Old 2017-10-18, 22:27   Link #512
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Feudal politics.

VOX POPULI: Abe's political maneuvering evokes Meiji Era underhand deal - Asahi

Imperialism.

Japanese PM Abe sends ritual offering to Yasukuni shrine for war dead - Reuters

Quote:
"His ruling coalition is on track for a big win in Sunday’s general election - even though almost half the country’s voters don’t want him to keep his job, a media survey showed on Monday."

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-18 at 23:16.
Old 2017-10-19, 03:42   Link #513
Verso Sciolto
Banned

最高裁判所裁判官国民審査 審査公報

Doesn't get a whole lot of attention but given some of the issues raised it may also be useful to mention that these have been distributed.

The review allows for feedback for the things they have done but the actual form to be handed over in the polling station does not give room for mentioning the things these justices have refrained from doing.

Apathy towards this aspect of the political landscape in Japan is probably as disturbing to political observers as the low voter turnout in general elections.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-10-20 at 00:46.
Old 2017-10-20, 11:29   Link #514
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

LDP looks set for another big win on Sunday.

Quote:
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's ruling coalition is on track for a big win in Sunday's general election - even though almost half the country's voters don't want him to keep his job, a media survey showed on Monday.

Behind that paradox is a fizzling challenge by an upstart party led by Tokyo Gov Yuriko Koike, a divided opposition and jitters about a volatile North Korea that incline wary voters toward a safe pair of hands, political analysts said.

Abe's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is set to win between 281 to 303 seats in the 465-member lower house, while its junior coalition partner the Komeito is on track to take 30-33 seats, the Mainichi newspaper said, based on an Oct 13-15 survey.
https://japantoday.com/category/poli...or-pm-abe-poll

The Times reports today that young people are finding it easier to switch jobs and earn more than they have in some years. Demographics probably plays the primary role as the number of young job-seekers continues to shrink. Abe, of course, sees these trends as the result of his economic policies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/b...n-economy.html
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-24, 21:46   Link #515
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
"People have been alienated from politics in their daily lives because of (the Abe administration's) top-down policies. Our basic message that we must change this situation won sympathy from many members of the public"
Yukio Edano's story may well be the more interesting one to read in the aftermath of the most recent election in Japan. CDP garners support in lower house vote with call to fight political 'power game': Edano - published, October 23, 2017 (Mainichi Japan).

Election Review: Despite sweeping victory, LDP's absolute ratio of votes remains at 25.2%
Can't help but take a small measure of comfort from articles such as this other Mainichi piece - published October 24, 2017.
Old 2017-10-25, 15:42   Link #516
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Thank god Japan is an oligarchy.
Old 2017-10-25, 19:52   Link #517
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
Thank god Japan is an oligarchy.
Fuck the oligarchs. We have seen what they do in Russia.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-30, 04:47   Link #518
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Miwa Sado was in the news again today. In an October 5 article on her death from "Karoshi", it was noted that Japan [is]: "a country where exhaustion is often seen as a sign of diligence."

Young Worker Clocked 159 Hours of Overtime in a Month. Then She Died. - By Makiko Inoue and Megan Specia - published in NYT.
Old 2017-10-31, 22:27   Link #519
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Japanese people frequently indicate not being happy in the present nor hopeful for the future. Japan as a country, as a society, frequently ranks low in the indices when compared with other states, when considered for well-being. Among the highest suicide rates but lacking support systems for suicide prevention. With little to no -legal- recourse for those people truly committed to ending their own lives. No assisted suicide laws, in other words. Perhaps a truly shocking case will change that but focus in such a case will probably be directed elsewhere...

November 6, edit to add:
Today 田村愛子 (Aiko Tamura) became the first young woman whose name was released after her remains were found and identified.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-11-06 at 04:45.
Old 2018-01-23, 06:02   Link #520
Verso Sciolto
Banned

As AUM cult trials end, Justice Ministry turns attention to death sentences - January 20, 2018 (Mainichi Japan)

Tags
japan, politics