Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-03-31, 23:18   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Godzilla to Rampage Again (2014)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/...-rampage-again

Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros are going to take another "western" shot at doing Godzilla after the very mixed results of the 1998 're-imagined Godzilla' movie.

Supposedly, they're going for a more 'true to the source' spirit -- is it too much to hope they actually do it IN Japan with mostly Asian actors?

I didn't *dislike* the 1998 film (rather liked the sleek and agile monster) .. but I agree with Ken Satsuma's feelings "it does not have the spirit" of the source material (he played the monster in some of the Japanese films).
Old 2010-03-31, 23:27   Link #2
james0246

Kick Ass (not the movie). I've always wanted some solid daikaiju titles to be made in America, but so far they have all been failures (save for Cloverfield...but that is a different type of movie). Legendary Pictures is also the right choice for producing such a film (they are best known for their large scale comic-book films (the new Batman and Superman series, as well as 300 and Watchmen, not to mention several other "big" films)). I'll wait to see who the director is, though, before I even think of being excited about this upcoming picture...

Despite not knowing many details concerning the film, one thing we can with almost certainty, though, is that this will be a 3D film...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-04-01 at 01:32.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 23:33   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ You mean like CGI Godzilla? Dunno how that would feel...at any rate, I hope it goes well, a pleasant surprise is always the best!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 00:19   Link #4
james0246

^3D doesn't necessarily mean CGI, but this film will undoubtedly be mostly CG. I would hope the film makers would take a "Where the Wild Things Are" approach to the film, allowing for the use of masterful puppetry mixed with seamless CGI (as "WtWTA" did).
Old 2010-04-01, 01:26   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Considering that blockbuster movies have gotten substantially less stupid and campy since the 90's (not saying perfected, just that a lot has changed for the better) I think there's a chance they can get it right this time around....maybe?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 01:41   Link #6
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Despite not knowing many details concerning the film, one thing we can with almost certainty, though, is that this will be a 3D film...
Sadly, this is true. But tbh, I don't have much faith in movies anymore. Like most remakes, this one isn't going to be doing much better.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 02:02   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

How do I say (preferably in a Chihuahua-voice), "Hey Godzilla, you want something to drink?" in Japanese?

I've watched every Godzilla movie in High School Film Club sessions, so not going to miss out on this one either. There is something charming about a Japanese salary man letting out blood curling scream as he is pointing toward the sky.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 02:06   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
don't have much faith in movies anymore
You really need to get out to the theatres more....

That being said, it doesn't appear to be a remake, rather it is a re-imagining (similar to Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead"). An American company has held the title for "Godzilla" 3 times now, and the previous 2 companies to hold the title produced large scale failures, so either the 3rd time will be the charm, or this will be the end of daikaiju titles in America...
Old 2010-04-01, 08:04   Link #9
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Just as long as they ditch the whole "giant monsters as ninja's" angle. I always found that sillier than the whole giant monsters as invincible titans spiel.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 14:01   Link #10
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
You really need to get out to the theatres more...
Oh, believe me, I go to the movies quite often, and oftentimes, you can already tell which movie will be good and which one isn't. The fact is, the vast majority of movies today have little to no originality, a mediocre attempt at a plot which was already done a million times before, and an orgy of special effects. Considering the travesty the called Godzilla in 1998, I really don't know if I should trust this new one.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 14:04   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros are going to take another "western" shot at doing Godzilla after the very mixed results of the 1998 're-imagined Godzilla' movie.

Supposedly, they're going for a more 'true to the source' spirit -- is it too much to hope they actually do it IN Japan with mostly Asian actors?

I didn't *dislike* the 1998 film (rather liked the sleek and agile monster) .. but I agree with Ken Satsuma's feelings "it does not have the spirit" of the source material (he played the monster in some of the Japanese films).
as long as it is still a man in a rubber suit and not cgi.
Old 2010-04-02, 17:30   Link #12
Solafighter
Hige

This new Godzilla film.. Does it feature this new Godzilla from 1999 or the very old one?

Well,
Spoiler for Ending of Godzilla film (1999):
Old 2010-04-03, 19:20   Link #13
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
This new Godzilla film.. Does it feature this new Godzilla from 1999 or the very old one?

Well,
Spoiler for Ending of Godzilla film (1999):
That's already been covered.

Old 2010-04-03, 21:37   Link #14
Nosauz

As long as P diddy/Sean John/Puff Daddy/Diddy is not involved in the soundtrack, i might be able to stomach this movie. Let's all be honest, the MV for Come to me was probably the worst thing ever produced by the joint venture of mpaa and the riaa.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 08:58   Link #15
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

The movie was alright but really that was no supermonster.

Let it die already, Warner Bros.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 03:14   Link #16
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Godzilla pushed to 2012.

Spoiler for The New Look At Godzilla:

Legendary Pictures is making it this time around; I hope they deliver(mansuit or no mansuit is fine with me). No tuna-eating lizard this time please.
Old 2010-07-31, 10:20   Link #17
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Hollywood will stick to cliches and mostly white actors (especially the main good guys) because Hollywood is too scared to do anything really different... even if the source material is from another nationality.

Therefore, Hollywood has to work hard to earn my trust and respect. Right now, at best, I'll torrent or stream the film from a server in Russia or China.

Incidentally, Hollywood is pushing 3-D in every movie now because normal movie-making equipment and software is coming down in price and everyone else can start making movies just as good. They NEED to push 3-D as an expensive thing so blockbuster movies remain the sole province of Hollywood. Also, piracy; you don't get 3-D from a torrented film, but frankly, I don't care. I hate 3-D and the stupid greasy glasses that tons of other people have worn.

Say NO to 3-D!

This has been your public service announcement. =)
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 21:48   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

The latest news (interview) from Godzilla remake's scriptwriter, Frank Darabont:

Quote:
Originally Posted by io9.com
How Frank Darabont will return Godzilla to his rightful place as a terrifying force of nature

We had the unbelievable pleasure of hosting a conversation between three amazing artists: the legendary movie poster artist Drew Struzan, director Frank Darabont and genre powerhouse actor (currently on Being Human) Sam Witwer. Throughout the week we will be sprinkling tidbits from this amazing round table and eventually releasing the entire audio file. Listening to these three creators talk what they do will knock you over. But for now, here's a taste of the awesomeness to come, starting with Darabont's thoughts on his most recent project, Godzilla (which he is currently rewriting).

Godzilla has its origins as an allegory for the atom bomb, but today it's more of a straightforward monster movie. Do you want to restore some of that allegorical significance to the franchise?

Frank Darabont: What I found very interesting about Godzilla is that he started off definitely as a metaphor for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And some of the atom bomb testing we were doing in the South Pacific in the subsequent years. The giant terrifying force of nature that comes and stomps the shit out of your city, that was Godzilla. Filtered through the very fanciful imaginations of the Japanese perception. And then he became Clifford the Big Red Dog in the subsequent films. He became the mascot of Japan, he became the protector of Japan. Another big ugly monster would show up and he would fight that monster to protect Japan. Which I never really quite understood, the shift.

What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy. We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film. We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing. And that's tremendously exciting as a writer when you're asked to do something else.

Sam Witwer: Is Godzilla going to represent a different kind of metaphor, something that we're dealing with as a culture? Because I'm working on a Mothra rewrite right now.

Frank Darabont: I think there is, but I do believe that there's a margin of interpretation, as Drew mentioned earlier. I love leaving a few crumbs on the table for the audience to determine what they think. Let them bring something to it as well. That's why a movie like The Green Mile is so satisfying or why The Mist is so satisfying to me. Because it stirs their participation and they have interpretation. I've heard metaphors that people apply to Shawshank Redemption, for example, that are fantastic that I never, ever would have thought of. And I say, you know what? You are absolutley right. That is exactly what it means to you. And how satisfying for me to have served you this meal and you identify flavors in it that I never even intended. That's one of the great rewards of what we do.

Sam Witwer: And then also pretending like you did it on purpose.

Frank Darabont: That's sometimes true. It depends on how much you want your ass kissed.

Are you looking to connect it to a different contemporary issue?

Frank Darabont: Yes I am, but I'm not going to give it away.
Some official early artworks for the new movie:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

PS: Mods, can you change the title of this thread into "Godzilla to Rampage Again (2014)"? Just to be correct .
Old 2013-01-22, 22:09   Link #19
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
WOW, Laser Breath?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 22:14   Link #20
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Laser Breath??
They upgraded the godzilla from atom breath to laser breath??

And i kinda dislike that spikes on his hand...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote