AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note - Episode 37 Rating
Perfect 10 208 44.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 16.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 11.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 37 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 4.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 9 1.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 0.85%
1 out of 10 : Painful 39 8.30%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-27, 13:36   Link #121
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here (save some yaoi fangirls). But there definitely is a grudging admiration of his brilliant evilness.

Sure he's an evil bastard, but he's our evil bastard. The fact that he's so brilliantly evil means that nothing short of a dramatic death would do. And it is in this respect that credit must be given to Madhouse for pulling off the ending in a much better way than the original manga. The way they showed Light's final 40 seconds in the manga was way too anti-climatic for an awesome anti-hero/villain.
What he did was real justice(I dont have a right mind).
I mean some criminal go to prison even though they killed alot of people they deserve to die
Old 2007-06-27, 13:43   Link #122
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post
Im so freakin disappointed in Light.
No plan C? Not even plan B?!

I personally would order Mikami to rip one page from the notebook, just in case when hidden one gets stolen or something.
Also, probably writing names of ppl I know to die few minutes after the meeting time, just in case something goes wrong.

Ending was cool, to bad we didnt got to see how the world turned out with out Kira.
Yes, exactly. That is what i was thinking too.
Either that or he should have obtained the pictures of those people going to that warehouse before hand and controlled their actions...before hand..killing them. Leaving Near exposed and easy to take down.
Old 2007-06-27, 13:47   Link #123
mist2123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post
Im so freakin disappointed in Light.
No plan C? Not even plan B?!

I personally would order Mikami to rip one page from the notebook, just in case when hidden one gets stolen or something.
Also, probably writing names of ppl I know to die few minutes after the meeting time, just in case something goes wrong.

Ending was cool, to bad we didnt got to see how the world turned out with out Kira.
Light doesnt have a plan B , C cuz he knew he was going to win and why would he make a plan B if he knew he was going to win but mikami ruined his plan.
Old 2007-06-27, 13:47   Link #124
Albert-Wesker 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
I mean some criminal go to prison even though they killed alot of people they deserve to die
So FBI agents who are trying to catch a mass murderer? TV anchors who go against the word of Kira, Cops who are trying to help people in a TV station, a woman who just wants to know what happened to hurn fiance? A genious who is also trying to catch a mass murderer? They all died for justice? Their deaths were right?

That makes no sense.
Old 2007-06-27, 13:49   Link #125
mist2123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert-Wesker 3rd View Post
So FBI agents who are trying to catch a mass murderer? TV anchors who go against the word of Kira, Cops who are trying to help people in a TV station, a woman who just wants to know what happened to hurn fiance? A genious who is also trying to catch a mass murderer? They all died for justice? Their deaths were right?

That makes no sense.
They were standing in the way of justice. basically opposing it
Old 2007-06-27, 13:49   Link #126
zalem

Quote:
Light's my favorite character...I really admire his brilliance and determination. BUT, I definitely do not think what he did was right. Maybe his original idea was understandable. I do sympathize with it. But, it was an impossible ideal to realize. In theory it's nice, but in practice...not so. We have death penalty in the US, but the thing is a person has a right to a trial by jury. A right to appeal if they lose that trial. Light, doesn't look at any evidence. He just sees a report on TV and makes his judgment there and then. Our system isn't perfect, but it certainly is more fair. I bet a hell of a lot of innocent people were killed by Light.
Old 2007-06-27, 13:50   Link #127
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
There's no such thing as "real" justice.

The arbitrary justice in most of today's legal systems is formed by consensus among society and lawmakers, but is this justice "ultimate"? No one knows for sure, flawed it may be, though it is as fair as it can get in a rule of law society.

I dare not pretend to be holy and deny that if I have a DN, I'd probably execute "my own brand" of justice as well. It's kind of like the One Ring in LotR.

Edit: Just so nobody puts words into my mouth, I reiterate: No one in their right mind would condone what Light does in the name of his "justice".
Old 2007-06-27, 13:55   Link #128
Albert-Wesker 3rd

Quote:
They were standing in the way of justice. basically opposing it
That was not justice. That was a power crave. Light said he wanted justice but he wanted control. Had he defeated Near, he would have fought his way to the top and most likely be a dictator.

Also so you have the outlook that the ends justify the means. So did Hitler, Stalin, and we could even add Bush in.
Old 2007-06-27, 13:56   Link #129
mist2123
Banned

Quote:
There's no such thing as "real" justice.

The arbitrary justice in most of today's legal systems is formed by consensus among society and lawmakers, but is this justice "ultimate"? No one knows for sure, flawed it may be, though it is as fair as it can get in a rule of law society.

I dare not pretend to be holy and deny that if I have a DN, I'd probably execute "my own brand" of justice as well. It's kind of like the One Ring in LotR.

Edit: Just so nobody puts words into my mouth, I reiterate: No one in their right mind would condone what Light does in the name of his "justice".
If i had the DN i would probably have the same 'justice' like light its a lot faster than trials that u can BS. Also he treats all criminal fair(they all die innocent or culprit)

If I have a DN I would probably use it for global nuclear destruction

Quote:
That was not justice. That was a power crave. Light said he wanted justice but he wanted control. Had he defeated Near, he would have fought his way to the top and most likely be a dictator.

Also so you have the outlook that the ends justify the means. So did Hitler, Stalin, and we could even add Bush in.
People dont change easily that was light is thinking that killing em is best idea
He did defeated near but mikami was the one who messed-up.

Heck if i have the means i would kill even person on the planet 'global clensing'
Old 2007-06-27, 13:58   Link #130
Albert-Wesker 3rd

I hope that you never get any mass murdering device.

But in the end Light loss. So as the saying goes 'What comes around, goes around'.
Old 2007-06-27, 14:03   Link #131
zalem

Quote:
lol. That's exactly what I was thinking.

The Death Note really has that kind of corruptive influence. Can't say I wouldn't be tempted in the same way Light was if it fell into my hands. It's the kind of power that just doesn't belong in human hands at all.
Old 2007-06-27, 14:03   Link #132
Vicious108

He only lost because Mikami screwed up though.

Light > L

Light > Near

Light > Mello

Light > Near & Mello

Near & Mello > Light depending on Mikami
Old 2007-06-27, 14:21   Link #133
aurora51x

Light could just send Mikami photos and names of his team (Matsuda,Aizawa etc..) and have him write their names and control them to shoot the SPK team and then shoot themselves (he knew they would bring guns).
Mikami really should have kept an emergency death note page.
I don't understand why the creators of Death Note were so eager to end the series in such a way that would completely prevent more seasons if it was so popular..
Old 2007-06-27, 14:35   Link #134
Grey

Quote:
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here (save some yaoi fangirls). But there definitely is a grudging admiration of his brilliant evilness.
I certainly don't agree with many of his actions, but I'd condone all of it if it worked out in the end. What were those stats in the manga? Something like a 70% decrease in violent crime, and the eradication of war? That's not a bad start. Perhaps slightly implausible, but that's a different debate.

Lessee...on a timeline, I would oppose Light in the beginning, but then might be neutral or supportive once those stats were known.

It's easy to make a thought experiment that tests whether one would support Light or not: There are x innocent people, and y criminals who will die when you push a button. If you push the button, crime will decrease worldwide by 70% and war will be essentially non-existent for z years. Will you push the button?

Sub in suitable numbers for x, y, and z. 30, 5000, and 60 might be appropriate. And yeah, I'd probably push the button for those kind of numbers.

Last edited by Grey; 2007-06-27 at 14:52. Reason: typo
Old 2007-06-27, 14:40   Link #135
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here....
I was right with you up to the yaoi fangirl point, haha. And actually I do agree with your sentiments 100%, but from following DN discussions online since the manga first started, I've had to concede that there are actually a lot of otherwise normal-seeming people, male and female, who totally condone Light's actions. It scares the hell out of me. In some respects, it offers more food for thought than the manga alone ever could. But really, based on what I've seen, fangirls--yaoi and otherwise--as a whole tend to be rather anti-Light... they don't forgive him for killing L or Mello. Let's not blame the fangirls for everything, now.
Old 2007-06-27, 14:57   Link #136
Mr JeburtO

AMAZING!!!!

i dont know why alot of people are complaining about this i loved it.

i have such a man crush on the guy ho does Light's voice
Old 2007-06-27, 15:06   Link #137
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
If only Light or Mikami had a gun. Would have made things alo9t easier.

I could see it now.

Near: See, I told you we would not die, I switched both the real and fake notebook.

Mikiami: Switch this!

*Pulls out a gun and wastes them all.*

*Light then goes into his evil laugh of victory.*
Indeed.
I can't cope with that, it pisses me off so much.

I know firearms are banned in Japan, but the same applies to Near's group (no longer cops)
What's wrong with Light saying:"Mikami, do you know GTA? Just bring a MP5 and start pumping holes for good.
Or better yet, a flamethrower, so we can have Near's swimming lessons. In napalm! "
Old 2007-06-27, 15:07   Link #138
Zek
Eyebrows...

Well, the real problem with Light's plan is that he's just a human. He has no means to identify criminals or their crimes. It was bad enough in the beginning when he assumed they were guilty based on news reports, but in part 2 his killings were based entirely on the word of random people on the internet posting pictures and names. I think the scene in Ep. 30 where some kid is threatening his classmates with death was particularly telling. Even if you believe that society would be bettered if all criminals in the world were to die, countless innocents must have been slaughtered in the process.

There's also the problem that the death penalty isn't as strong a disincentive as the show makes it out to be, and Kira's killings even less so. If people knew for certain that committing violent crimes would result in a fast, painless death from Kira, that would only stop the crimes that are committed by rational people without suicidal tendencies. Creating a perfect world from the death penalty alone is a naive dream.
Old 2007-06-27, 15:08   Link #139
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore_Obsessed View Post
Indeed.
I can't cope with that, it pisses me off so much.

I know firearms are banned in Japan, but the same applies to Near's group (no longer cops)
What's wrong with Light saying:"Mikami, do you know GTA? Just bring a MP5 and start pumping holes for good.
Or better yet, a flamethrower, so we can have Near's swimming lessons. In napalm! "
Problem there being that it's destined to fail because none of their lifespans ended that day :P
Old 2007-06-27, 15:17   Link #140
medigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora51x View Post
Light could just send Mikami photos and names of his team (Matsuda,Aizawa etc..) and have him write their names and control them to shoot the SPK team and then shoot themselves (he knew they would bring guns).
Mikami really should have kept an emergency death note page.
Except you cant force people to act in such a way that they can lead to other people's deaths, so even if he sent the photo's, Mikami could not get rid of the SPK crew without actually seeing them and knowing their names.
Also after Takada died, Light lost his only contact with Mikami, so he couldnt order him to do anything anyway.

PS: I dont know if Mikami was aware that you can kill people with torn out pages...
Closed Thread