Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-23, 16:35   Link #1
Apple_Tree

Good anime, anyone?

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had any REALLY good newish (2005 – onwards) anime series to recommend, because I’m so sick of the crap they’re passing off as good these days. What ever happened to classic types like Vision of Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Fushigi Yuugi, and Evangelion? They just don’t make ‘em like they used to.

So if anyone has any great fantasy, adventure, mecha, shoujo/shonen, or dramas, or all of the above to recommend, I would be ever so greatful

Last edited by Apple_Tree; 2007-11-23 at 17:06. Reason: not specific enough
Old 2007-11-23, 16:43   Link #2
dead cartoonlover

ohh i see what u mean. >__< those were classics.

as for animes, that would probably depend on which genres u like; shojo, shonen, comedy, etc.
Old 2007-11-23, 17:02   Link #3
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Animation quality has really taken center stage now and days and the plot seems to sometimes be an afterthought. However i wouldn't say all new animes are a lost cause.

In the action genre we have Shakugan no Shana (first season) was very impressive as well as Fate/Stay night. Even though fate was originally a H-game it managed to pull out a interesting story line and great action scenes. There is also one of my favorites Utawaremono.

Romance/Comedies also took center stage taking full advantage of the improving animation with soon to be classics Air and Clannad(still airing), as well as a very well written short 6 ep drama called Hanbun Tsuki no sora
Old 2007-11-23, 17:10   Link #4
Apple_Tree

that would probably help
thanx
Old 2007-11-23, 17:14   Link #5
X10A_Freedom

Code Geass is pretty good. It's mecha, action and strategy. It mixes in elements from SEED and Death Note.
Old 2007-11-23, 17:25   Link #6
Geass
~Power of the King~

I second Code Geass, it's a modern-day classic.
Old 2007-11-23, 17:35   Link #7
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Code Geass is pretty good. It's mecha, action and strategy. It mixes in elements from SEED and Death Note.

Ok why do everyone say that Code Geass is similar to Gundam Seed? besides having mech, I could see similarity between Death Note but with Seed? I just don't see it. Well anyhow I third Code Geass, it's a good show. Also you can't forget about Tenge Toppa Gurren Lagann, this anime is an instant classic and probably the best anime of 2007. I suggest you to watch it right not, and I mean NOW!
Old 2007-11-23, 18:07   Link #8
X10A_Freedom

Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-23, 18:13   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Everyone whos saying they don't make them lik they used to neds to REALLY wath more modern anime. This year was Tengen Toppa Gurren LAgann which is BY FAR the greatest anime ever created, plus last year we got both Welcome to the NHK and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which are both simply amazing. Flying under the radar were the epic brilliance of Simoun and Manabi Straight as well as countless others worth mentioning. Yall just looking at the wrong stuff.
Old 2007-11-23, 19:32   Link #10
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Spoiler:
Kira vs Athrun is not the same as Lelouche vs Suzaku. Kira and Athrun are somewhat similar to each other. Lelouche and Suzaku are a complete antithesis to each other.
Lelouche -- Suzaku
Black motif -- White motif
Intelligent leader -- Strong soldier
Trying to change the system from the outside by force -- Trying to change the system from the inside.
Brittanian on the Japanese side -- Japanese on the Brittanian side.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-11-23, 20:37   Link #11
voir

I tend to agree with your sentiments to a fair degree, a lot of people recommend newer shows without recognizing how derivative they are.

Tengen Toppa is fun, though hardly the best ever, and I think Death Note and Haruhi will stand the test of time as well. For my money though the work BONES has done has been without peer over the last 3-4 years, recommended:

Rahxephon—An intelligent rebuttal of Eva
Wolf's Rain—Beautiful Post-Apocalyptic Elegy
Fullmetal Alchemist—Widely called the best anime of the last several years
Scrapped Princess—Interesting premise, likable characters
Eureka Seven—Freshest, best take on Mecha in a long time
Ouran Host Club—Hilarious, self-reflexive shoujo. The best i think of the recent "self aware" anime
Old 2007-11-23, 21:12   Link #12
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Location: Let me look outside... Where the hell is this place?Oo
Send a message via AIM to rooroobearr
Quote:
Originally Posted by voir View Post
I tend to agree with your sentiments to a fair degree, a lot of people recommend newer shows without recognizing how derivative they are.

Tengen Toppa is fun, though hardly the best ever, and I think Death Note and Haruhi will stand the test of time as well. For my money though the work BONES has done has been without peer over the last 3-4 years, recommended:

Ouran Host Club—Hilarious, self-reflexive shoujo. The best i think of the recent "self aware" anime
Yes..BONES.....There's someone you can hope for to make a great anime in any genre!
Old 2007-11-23, 21:35   Link #13
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

BONES for me has always been just short of brilliance. Everything they do is great and I love it, but never enough to quite make my favorites or anything. Either way, they are great, though not all of those shows aired in the time you allotted ^^;; Also, I ha no idea they did Scrapped Princess O_o

Anywho, I look down on you for not realizing the overbearing awesome that emmanaed over every ounce of Gurren-Lagann. It changed my life. As for Death Note, it's got one very severe problem. It's good ONCE. I have never been able to rewatch/read that show/manga. The thing is, it relies SO much on plot twists and such that once you know everything, all the buildup and stuff is drained.

Haruhi, however, get's better every time I watch it. Definitely a keeper.
Old 2007-11-23, 21:40   Link #14
Geass
~Power of the King~

I second Ouran. I actually found Gurren-Lagann to be boring, myself. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
Old 2007-11-23, 21:51   Link #15
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geass View Post
I second Ouran. I actually found Gurren-Lagann to be boring, myself. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
It all depends. how much did you actually watch? And yeah, I guess if you can stomach weak shoujo then the show most consider the epitome of manliness wouldn't be up your alley XD
Old 2007-11-23, 21:58   Link #16
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir View Post

Well on Gurren Lagann for me was one of the best anime ever, but people have different opinion and well I don't think that Death Note was that good. Like Deus ex Digital Boy said it really relies on too much on plot twist. Now on FMA, seriously I have never heard of people calling this "best anime of last several years", from what I seen I think lot of people were disappointed with this show.
Spoiler for :
Now manga on other hand it still going on and imo 10times better then the anime. Though I agree on Haruhi and other show by Bones, they do make some excellent anime.
Old 2007-11-23, 22:03   Link #17
Geass
~Power of the King~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
It all depends. how much did you actually watch? And yeah, I guess if you can stomach weak shoujo then the show most consider the epitome of manliness wouldn't be up your alley XD
I've seen the first few episodes and read the summaries and seen the screenshots for the rest of the series. And I can stomach just about everything, I've intentionally read at least one manga from every genre (yes, all of them ).

Last edited by Geass; 2007-11-24 at 08:24.
Old 2007-11-23, 22:04   Link #18
Teletha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
Kira vs Athrun is not the same as Lelouche vs Suzaku. Kira and Athrun are somewhat similar to each other. Lelouche and Suzaku are a complete antithesis to each other.
Lelouche -- Suzaku
Black motif -- White motif
Intelligent leader -- Strong soldier
Trying to change the system from the outside by force -- Trying to change the system from the inside.
Brittanian on the Japanese side -- Japanese on the Brittanian side.
They were not similar to get other in the beginning. Athrun fought to protect PLANT and Kira fought to protect himself and his friends. Both fought against each other and only towards the end saw eye to saw. Lulu and Suzuku fought against each other without knowing they were, obviously for different reasons. I predict in the end, both sort of want the same thing. Suzuku gets compared to Kira a lot too, but more annoying and less ass kicking. Euphie is a lot like Lacus, but not as capable. Shirley has been called Geass' Fllay. The whole young mecha and Sunrise anime.... they basically are marketed the same and have a lot of the same fans. Not saying they are EXACTLY the same, but the similarities are there.

To the OP's question.... Toward the Terra. An adult story with complex characters, epic action, great music.... overall one of the best I've ever seen.

Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e - Awesome sci-fi with action and a great story. Some of the best fights I've seen.

Higurashi - Not the best character designs, animation or drawings, but one of the best written and most interesting anime with great characters and a very complex plot (with no holes) I've ever seen.
Old 2007-11-23, 22:19   Link #19
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
Now manga on other hand it still going on and imo 10times better then the anime.
Why has no one told me this?
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-11-23, 23:35   Link #20
d.sinclair

go here and look through the 05-07 community awards. Everything there is pretty much very good. And they conveniently break stuff down into categories
Closed Thread